Forums

Tap to pay LINX and credit cards

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

abducted
I LUV THIS PLACE

Tap to pay LINX and credit cards

Postby abducted » February 26th, 2021, 1:51 pm

Local banks are now issuing cards to customers with tap to pay technology in Trinidad and Tobago, instead of inserting your chip card and entering your PIN, you just tap the card on the LINX machine and the payment is made, this can be dangerous if you don't know how it's being used, be careful

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CLwqAhFg1U ... 7wnhco8krz

DMan7
punchin NOS

Re: Tap to pay LINX and credit cards

Postby DMan7 » February 26th, 2021, 1:57 pm

That is still too backwards. We should be using pay via phone app which is being used largely in China even in Mom and Pops little shops at the side of the road.

redmanjp
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby redmanjp » February 26th, 2021, 2:01 pm

security risk if bandits get it as no pin needed

timothymcdavid
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby timothymcdavid » February 26th, 2021, 2:03 pm

Good post ... I was aware about this for my credit card ... havent been issued with a new Linx card yet ... have had an RFID blocking wallet for a couple years now.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » February 26th, 2021, 2:24 pm

so pinned chip cards being replaced by this ?

Blaze d Chalice
Riding on 17's

Postby Blaze d Chalice » February 26th, 2021, 2:32 pm

DMan7 wrote:That is still too backwards. We should be using pay via phone app which is being used largely in China even in Mom and Pops little shops at the side of the road.

This might help curb violent robbery.
When Quamie or Ramlal steal your $10,000 phone, now he can also use the phone to buy all the latest Jordans and Sundar Popo records without robbing others at gunpoint. When the money done from the account, sell the phone, and go rob another.

DMan7
punchin NOS

Postby DMan7 » February 26th, 2021, 2:36 pm

Blaze d Chalice wrote:
DMan7 wrote:That is still too backwards. We should be using pay via phone app which is being used largely in China even in Mom and Pops little shops at the side of the road.

When Quamie or Ramlal steal your $10,000 phone, now he can also use the phone to buy all the latest Jordans and Sundar Popo records without robbing others at gunpoint. When the money done from the account, sell the phone, and go rob another.

You still have to put in a PIN on your phone to access the app to pay tho....

Habit7
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Habit7 » February 26th, 2021, 2:42 pm

Blaze d Chalice wrote:

I admire your effort to equalise the stereotype.

Dohplaydat
punchin NOS

Postby Dohplaydat » February 26th, 2021, 3:05 pm

Actually this is far safer than using magstripes which can be cloned.

However, the tapless payments usually should work up to a small amount (in the UK it's £30, not sure about FCB). Purchases higher will require PIN entry.

This is what most of the first world is using and is safer (not totally safe obviously because your card can be stolen and used if you give them your PIN) by far than using old magstripe technology.

Dohplaydat
punchin NOS

Postby Dohplaydat » February 26th, 2021, 3:06 pm

Trinidad banking is 20 years behind the rest of world, even Africa has more modern banking approaches.

DMan7
punchin NOS

Postby DMan7 » February 26th, 2021, 3:23 pm

Dohplaydat wrote:

Trinidad banking is 20 years behind the rest of world, even Africa has more modern banking approaches.

We 20 years behind the rest of the world now? It used to be 10 years. :shock:

The amount of years we behind the rest of the world seems to be increasing all the time. :lol:

originalbling
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby originalbling » February 26th, 2021, 3:28 pm

Some banks had this out a while now - it was discussed in the credit card thread, its called visa paywave. Its disappointing that the banks dont roll out newer features sooner here.

The person in the video need to do some research. There is a limit of around TT$300 per tap transaction which may vary by bank. Only terminals with the logo support it.

Trini cashiers are not trained properly. They quick to grab your card and put it in the slot when they can simply enter the details in the terminal and hand it to customer to do the rest so the card never leaves your hand.

Many places that have the tap feature, they dont even know about it.

S_2NR
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby S_2NR » February 26th, 2021, 3:29 pm

Not sure how it would work in trini but in the US, tap to pay only bypasses the need for a pin entry for small purchases. Like a cup of coffee or lunch. Large purchases always require pin, tap or swipe.
Even if you do several small purchases, once you reach a cumulative amount of about $100, it asks for a pin.

redmanjp
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby redmanjp » February 26th, 2021, 3:39 pm

S_2NR wrote:Not sure how it would work in trini but in the US, tap to pay only bypasses the need for a pin entry for small purchases. Like a cup of coffee or lunch. Large purchases always require pin, tap or swipe.
Even if you do several small purchases, once you reach a cumulative amount of about $100, it asks for a pin.

if bandits use it for small purchases can u get a refund?

DMan7
punchin NOS

Postby DMan7 » February 26th, 2021, 4:02 pm

If you multi-tap the card couldn't that amount to alot of $$$ being spent / thieved ?

S_2NR
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby S_2NR » February 26th, 2021, 5:04 pm

redmanjp wrote:
S_2NR wrote:Not sure how it would work in trini but in the US, tap to pay only bypasses the need for a pin entry for small purchases. Like a cup of coffee or lunch. Large purchases always require pin, tap or swipe.

if bandits use it for small purchases can u get a refund?

Pretty sure it would be treated similiar to any other credit/debit card fraud.

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » February 26th, 2021, 5:19 pm

pugboy wrote:so pinned chip cards being replaced by this ?

The cards have both chip and tap to pay

Blaze d Chalice wrote:

The phone apps use the same biometric (FaceID or fingerprint reader) to authorise the transaction

redmanjp
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby redmanjp » February 26th, 2021, 5:27 pm

DMan7 wrote:If you multi-tap the card couldn't that amount to alot of $$$ being spent / thieved ?

Not sure how it would work in trini but in the US, tap to pay only bypasses the need for a pin entry for small purchases. Like a cup of coffee or lunch. Large purchases always require pin, tap or swipe.

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 88sins » February 26th, 2021, 5:36 pm

Duane 3NE 2NR wrote:
pugboy wrote:so pinned chip cards being replaced by this ?

The cards have both chip and tap to pay

Blaze d Chalice wrote:

The phone apps use the same biometric (FaceID or fingerprint reader) to authorise the transaction

And you can use your biometrics to lock your phone, once it locked even if stolen the thieves can't unlock it so easily, giving you time to stop them from accessing your funds from the device.

SMc
punchin NOS

Postby SMc » February 26th, 2021, 7:25 pm

I have a couple cards that have the chip that works for both pin and contactless. In the UK it was £30 limit on contactless that has gone up to £45 per transaction as they encourage not using cash. Every now and then you have put your PIN in but its not necessarily based on cumulative spend.

I prefer that to the swipe and sign method as I don't have to carry extra ID.

I also have a phone app for contactless payments which works well when I'm travellinglight, but not everywhere seems to be able to accept it.

Security wise, I dont think there is much between them as long as you take the normal precautions

stev
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby stev » February 28th, 2021, 1:12 am

*crack knuckles over keyboard*

this is inevitable....get used to it and take your own precautions....get RFID blocking card sleeves or wallets

tap to pay has limits...i remember trying to pay for something over $200TT with my RBC CC and my card got locked....had to call to unlock it....not sure if u can request a greater limit at the moment.

the only reason these services are coming to T&T is thanks to Central Bank.....they mandated that all financial institutions need to start replacing their mag strip cards before the end of 2021 (mandate was a few years ago).

Banks don't innovate...the return on investment is too long term for them.....that's just the realty. If there wasn't a mandate by central bank we would still be on mag strip like peasants.....the loss due to skimming is manageable even though it's in the millions.

if a financial institution wants to implement chip / pin tech in T&T they only have two options: VISA or Mastercard profile....that's the only two franchises that are configured to work locally (not Europay as yet).....if you a financial institution, once you are a principal member with Visa or Mastercard, you are free to roll out any of their services with their assistance....and by assistance i mean they would usually fund the marketing campaigns, initial rollout costs etc...

The only financial institutions that are innovating for 2021 are Republic Bank and Eastern Credit Union......as you all can see, Republic is first to market with their intention of going cashless.......tap to pay, mobile wallet, cash pickup, smart payment platforms etc etc etc.......these are all services offered by Visa and Mastercard that they are just rolling out (Visa and Mastercard are doing all the work to be honest. lol)

bank to bank transfer is a form of payment right? LINX is launching their new person to person transfer system soon....you all think they thought of it on their own? Nope...that's a service of Visa and Mastercard that any bank can roll out themselves....they just chose to do it via linx (linx is owned by the banks for those who didn't know (25% each))

no cheques and digital signatures for loans coming soon...props to Central Bank in my opinion…they even introducing regulatory sandboxing (a platform to test products and services before going public)

Apple pay and Google pay coming soon to a smart watch / phone near you...hint hint*
Self checkout in Massy Gulf expanding soon...hint hint*
ATMs to be replaced by ITMs...hint hint*

ruffrider27
Riding on 16's

Postby ruffrider27 » February 28th, 2021, 9:41 am

In Toronto, Ontario Tap Touchless is almost use everywhere and its free to use and even better with apple or android pay app most banks link your cards and CC to your smart watch or phone , down to the hand car wash guys use tap , i got $25 in my wallet close to 3 months , some restaurants are cash only but they have an ATM machine with TAP to withdraw cash but with a service fee $2-$3 which is robbery . Plus the the bank app you can limit the daily withdraw amount from $20 to $1000 without even calling the bank CSR , lock your card to only use it on your smart devices and with security features finger print and face id you don't need the card , Trinidad should do the same , Drivers permit , insurance certificate all digital now , all you need now to carry on person is your smart phone and keys . Car Keys and all is going digital with apps now can unlock , remote / start , house and apartments has smart locks only required pass code even fingerprint reader .

DMan7
punchin NOS

Postby DMan7 » February 28th, 2021, 10:15 am

ruffrider27 wrote:In Toronto, Ontario Tap Touchless is almost use everywhere and its free to use and even better with apple or android pay app most banks link your cards and CC to your smart watch or phone , down to the hand car wash guys use tap , i got $25 in my wallet close to 3 months , some restaurants are cash only but they have an ATM machine with TAP to withdraw cash but with a service fee $2-$3 which is robbery . Plus the the bank app you can limit the daily withdraw amount from $20 to $1000 without even calling the bank CSR , lock your card to only use it on your smart devices and with security features finger print and face id you don't need the card , Trinidad should do the same , Drivers permit , insurance certificate all digital now , all you need now to carry on person is your smart phone and keys . Car Keys and all is going digital with apps now can unlock , remote / start , house and apartments has smart locks only required pass code even fingerprint reader .

Soon the phone is going to be replaced by a chip in your brain where you can easily just think it and all these things are done!

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » February 28th, 2021, 7:54 pm

stev wrote:*crack knuckles over keyboard*

this is inevitable....get used to it and take your own precautions....get RFID blocking card sleeves or wallets

tap to pay has limits...i remember trying to pay for something over $200TT with my RBC CC and my card got locked....had to call to unlock it....not sure if u can request a greater limit at the moment.

the only reason these services are coming to T&T is thanks to Central Bank.....they mandated that all financial institutions need to start replacing their mag strip cards before the end of 2021 (mandate was a few years ago).

Banks don't innovate...the return on investment is too long term for them.....that's just the realty. If there wasn't a mandate by central bank we would still be on mag strip like peasants.....the loss due to skimming is manageable even though it's in the millions.

if a financial institution wants to implement chip / pin tech in T&T they only have two options: VISA or Mastercard profile....that's the only two franchises that are configured to work locally (not Europay as yet).....if you a financial institution, once you are a principal member with Visa or Mastercard, you are free to roll out any of their services with their assistance....and by assistance i mean they would usually fund the marketing campaigns, initial rollout costs etc...

The only financial institutions that are innovating for 2021 are Republic Bank and Eastern Credit Union......as you all can see, Republic is first to market with their intention of going cashless.......tap to pay, mobile wallet, cash pickup, smart payment platforms etc etc etc.......these are all services offered by Visa and Mastercard that they are just rolling out (Visa and Mastercard are doing all the work to be honest. lol)

bank to bank transfer is a form of payment right? LINX is launching their new person to person transfer system soon....you all think they thought of it on their own? Nope...that's a service of Visa and Mastercard that any bank can roll out themselves....they just chose to do it via linx (linx is owned by the banks for those who didn't know (25% each))

no cheques and digital signatures for loans coming soon...props to Central Bank in my opinion…they even introducing regulatory sandboxing (a platform to test products and services before going public)

Apple pay and Google pay coming soon to a smart watch / phone near you...hint hint*
NFC (Tap to Pay) range is very limited when compared to standard RFID.

NFC 10 cm
RFID 100 m

Dohplaydat
punchin NOS

Postby Dohplaydat » February 28th, 2021, 8:25 pm

adnj wrote:
stev wrote:*crack knuckles over keyboard*

NFC (Tap to Pay) range is very limited when compared to standard RFID.

NFC 10 cm
RFID 100 m

Active RFID has a max range of 100m outdoors, passive is up to 10m.

The_Honourable
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: Tap To Pay LINX And Credit Cards

Postby The_Honourable » August 23rd, 2021, 10:53 pm

amm... what?

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » August 23rd, 2021, 11:08 pm

^ JMMB has moved over to the Visa Debit card format with chip and pin or tap to pay

stev
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: Wait na... watch this letter. Like Seriously?

Postby stev » August 24th, 2021, 2:10 pm

The_Honourable wrote:amm... what?

[img]image[/img]

Their cards will still work....it would just be routed tru the Visa network instead of Linx.

Could be as a result of two factors:

Non compliance on the Linx network with no attempt to curb skimming at their ATM machines

or

More profit in routing transactions via Visa as opposed to Linx (Visa offers huge cash back to Financial Institutions based on the volume of transactions on their network....Linx does not offer anything at the moment)

The_Honourable
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: Wait na... watch this letter. Like Seriously?

Postby The_Honourable » August 24th, 2021, 3:21 pm

Duane 3NE 2NR wrote:^ JMMB has moved over to the Visa Debit card format with chip and pin or tap to pay

stev wrote:
The_Honourable wrote:amm... what?

[img]image[/img]

Their cards will still work....it would just be routed tru the Visa network instead of Linx.

Could be as a result of two factors:

Non compliance on the Linx network with no attempt to curb skimming at their ATM machines

or

More profit in routing transactions via Visa as opposed to Linx (Visa offers huge cash back to Financial Institutions based on the volume of transactions on their network....Linx does not offer anything at the moment)

Thanks for the clarification.

That release was vague, many JMMB customers thought that they could not do POS transactions anymore with their JMMB debit card.

originalbling
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby originalbling » August 24th, 2021, 3:53 pm

Thanks for that clarification stev, was really wondering about that release.

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”