TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

COVID-19 Vaccine Tracker (News and Updates) (Poll added)

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Are you taking the COVID-19 Vaccine?

Yes, I am already vaccinated.
67%
Yes, I am awaiting vaccination.
10%
No, I don't want it.
16%
I am not sure.
7%

Total votes: 121

Lou Screuz
3NE 2NR for life

Re: COVID-19 Vaccine Tracker (News and Updates)

Postby Lou Screuz » May 14th, 2021, 11:42 am

zoom rader wrote:
Habit7 wrote:
Dohplaydat wrote:
BUG wrote:First real world data out of Italy. Based on 37,000 vaccinated people. One dose of Oxford-Astra Zeneca has 99% efficacy against severe disease/hospitalization, and 100% efficacy against death (only 1 vaccinated person died and was 96 years old).

https://www.repubblica.it/cronaca/2021/ ... 300820163/

When my workplace was vaccinating it's employees with O-AZ a few months ago we had around a 40% refusal rate because some were scared of the "getting struck by lightning" odds of developing a blood clot. They're regretting that decision now...

Great news, meanwhile Sinopharm's real world efficacy is reportedly 50%.

https://www.africanews.com/2021/05/14/s ... s-experts/

At least Sinopharm is preventing hospitalisations, but using this vaccine delays our recovery.

Sinopharm is certainly not the most effective but it is sufficient to reduce our deaths. It utilises the more rudimentary way of creating a vaccine which doesn't make it as effective as the gene therapy vaccines but there is also less chance of bad side effects. As I said before Seychelles is a very small sample size to extrapolate but the article has better explanation than what is suggested by the headline.

Dr Jude Gedeon, the nation's public health commissioner addressed the public.
"We are however registering some positive cases, about one-third of positive cases are among people who have been vaccinated with the two doses. But this group of people tend to not have any symptoms, they were tested because they were contacts, or they have mild symptoms. "

Among those who have received two vaccine doses to date, 57% were Sinopharm and 43% Covishield AstraZeneca.
It is unclear exactly which vaccine was administered to fully immunized individuals who have since tested positive for coronavirus.Dr Jude Gedeon elaborated on the situation.

"So far of all the active cases that we have, almost all are Seychellois, 85%. We do have however 15% of people who are active, active cases who are foreigners, they are either GOB holders, or visitors. "
According to the nation's health ministry, of the patients requiring hospital treatment, 80% had not been vaccinated and tended to be people with co-morbidities.

So Seychellois were almost equally vaccinated with Sinopharm and AZ but it seems like only Sinopharm getting the blame.

Nevertheless, it would still be an improvement over what we currently have and we can't be waiting forever for Pfizer, Moderna and J&J to allow some crumbs to fall off the table to sell us vaccines.
All of this could have been avoided if the red government was very proactive.

We have to wait while the government pu55y foots while people have died.

enough zoom raider

enough of this

stop drawing attention to the fact that our current spike is because a gOvErNmEnT tO gOvErNmEnT dEaL was more important th

sorry i mean to say

STOP POLITISIZING DEE EESUUUUU
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Dohplaydat
punchin NOS

Postby Dohplaydat » May 14th, 2021, 12:10 pm

redmanjp wrote:but 20% of hospitalized ppl being vaccinated is still concerning. infection is one thing but for severe illness that requiring hospitalization, that is too much. we going to definitely need a booster from another shot next year. not just for better protection but to get to herd immunity.

Yea that's my concern, Sinopharm requires a much higher percentage of people to be vaccinated to reduce covid's effects, almost half of Trinidad is anti-vax, and an underperforming Chinese vaccine where tonnes of data is still missing isn't going to help as much as we'd like.

But still, it's better than nothing, so I encourage everyone to take it still.

If only Rowley was proactive and sourced free vaccines from India we could have been in a much better position.

UNC officials say their sources at the Indian HC said India would have allocated 140k vaccines to us.

Imagine us having 70k persons vaccinated freely from India by March. Then with Covax coming in in April, we could have had another 30k vaccinated before this storm.

It just seems to me that if Rowley was proactive he could have saved hundreds of lives and reduce the size of this outbreak.

Sad, really sad, and then he and the MoH damn well knew cases were spiking end of March and they left every damn thing open and encouraged the slackness with stupidity from Faris, big shot wedding ,and Rowley's liming in Tobago.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » May 14th, 2021, 12:13 pm

how far has barbados reached with vaccination ?
has barbados been able to get more vaccines subsequent to their early batches ?

Dohplaydat
punchin NOS

Postby Dohplaydat » May 14th, 2021, 12:25 pm

pugboy wrote:how far has barbados reached with vaccination ?

Mia Motley has been trying all avenues, India and Covax were the two supplies right now.

They just received another 33,600 doses through covax

The shipment of 33,600 doses represents the second of three equal shipments bought through COVAX to treat one-fifth of the population. In all, 100,800 doses of the two-dose Oxford Astrazenca jab bought through COVAX were set to arrive in batches between mid-February and the end of June.

This latest shipment will boost the total number of jabs received for the national vaccination programme to about 160,000 doses – enough to inoculate at least 80,000 people, roughly one in three Barbadians. This includes the original shipment of around 90,000 vaccines to Barbados, a gift from the Indian government.

https://barbadostoday.bb/2021/05/11/mor ... y-tuesday/

BUG
3NE 2NR for life

Postby BUG » May 14th, 2021, 12:31 pm

Dohplaydat wrote:Sad, really sad, and then he and the MoH damn well knew cases were spiking end of March and they left every damn thing open and encouraged the slackness with stupidity from Faris, big shot wedding ,and Rowley's liming in Tobago.

^This + a covid fatigued1 population = where we are now

But I digress, this is a vaccine thread so I'll leave it at that.

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » May 14th, 2021, 12:34 pm

Dohplaydat wrote:
redmanjp wrote:but 20% of hospitalized ppl being vaccinated is still concerning. infection is one thing but for severe illness that requiring hospitalization, that is too much. we going to definitely need a booster from another shot next year. not just for better protection but to get to herd immunity.

Yea that's my concern, Sinopharm requires a much higher percentage of people to be vaccinated to reduce covid's effects, almost half of Trinidad is anti-vax, and an underperforming Chinese vaccine where tonnes of data is still missing isn't going to help as much as we'd like.

But still, it's better than nothing, so I encourage everyone to take it still.

If only Rowley was proactive and sourced free vaccines from India we could have been in a much better position.

UNC officials say their sources at the Indian HC said India would have allocated 140k vaccines to us.

Imagine us having 70k persons vaccinated freely from India by March. Then with Covax coming in in April, we could have had another 30k vaccinated before this storm.

It just seems to me that if Rowley was proactive he could have saved hundreds of lives and reduce the size of this outbreak.

Sad, really sad, and then he and the MoH damn well knew cases were spiking end of March and they left every damn thing open and encouraged the slackness with stupidity from Faris, big shot wedding ,and Rowley's liming in Tobago.
Well you hit the nail on the head Rowlair and the red government was not proactive but Habit7 trying to do damage control with spin.

As I said the UNC is not in power nor are they important at this stage.

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » May 14th, 2021, 12:36 pm

Dohplaydat wrote:

Mia Motley has been trying all avenues, India and Covax were the two supplies right now.

They just received another 33,600 doses through covax

The shipment of 33,600 doses represents the second of three equal shipments bought through COVAX to treat one-fifth of the population. In all, 100,800 doses of the two-dose Oxford Astrazenca jab bought through COVAX were set to arrive in batches between mid-February and the end of June.

This latest shipment will boost the total number of jabs received for the national vaccination programme to about 160,000 doses – enough to inoculate at least 80,000 people, roughly one in three Barbadians. This includes the original shipment of around 90,000 vaccines to Barbados, a gift from the Indian government.

https://barbadostoday.bb/2021/05/11/mor ... y-tuesday/
While the red government continues to blame kamala

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » May 14th, 2021, 12:37 pm

They miles ahead but we stuck with rampant liars

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » May 14th, 2021, 12:38 pm

Lou Screuz wrote:
zoom rader wrote:
Habit7 wrote:
Dohplaydat wrote:
BUG wrote:First real world data out of Italy. Based on 37,000 vaccinated people. One dose of Oxford-Astra Zeneca has 99% efficacy against severe disease/hospitalization, and 100% efficacy against death (only 1 vaccinated person died and was 96 years old).

https://www.repubblica.it/cronaca/2021/ ... 300820163/

When my workplace was vaccinating it's employees with O-AZ a few months ago we had around a 40% refusal rate because some were scared of the "getting struck by lightning" odds of developing a blood clot. They're regretting that decision now...

Great news, meanwhile Sinopharm's real world efficacy is reportedly 50%.

https://www.africanews.com/2021/05/14/s ... s-experts/

At least Sinopharm is preventing hospitalisations, but using this vaccine delays our recovery.

Sinopharm is certainly not the most effective but it is sufficient to reduce our deaths. It utilises the more rudimentary way of creating a vaccine which doesn't make it as effective as the gene therapy vaccines but there is also less chance of bad side effects. As I said before Seychelles is a very small sample size to extrapolate but the article has better explanation than what is suggested by the headline.

Dr Jude Gedeon, the nation's public health commissioner addressed the public.
"We are however registering some positive cases, about one-third of positive cases are among people who have been vaccinated with the two doses. But this group of people tend to not have any symptoms, they were tested because they were contacts, or they have mild symptoms. "

Among those who have received two vaccine doses to date, 57% were Sinopharm and 43% Covishield AstraZeneca.
It is unclear exactly which vaccine was administered to fully immunized individuals who have since tested positive for coronavirus.Dr Jude Gedeon elaborated on the situation.

"So far of all the active cases that we have, almost all are Seychellois, 85%. We do have however 15% of people who are active, active cases who are foreigners, they are either GOB holders, or visitors. "
According to the nation's health ministry, of the patients requiring hospital treatment, 80% had not been vaccinated and tended to be people with co-morbidities.

So Seychellois were almost equally vaccinated with Sinopharm and AZ but it seems like only Sinopharm getting the blame.

Nevertheless, it would still be an improvement over what we currently have and we can't be waiting forever for Pfizer, Moderna and J&J to allow some crumbs to fall off the table to sell us vaccines.
All of this could have been avoided if the red government was very proactive.

We have to wait while the government pu55y foots while people have died.

enough zoom raider

enough of this

stop drawing attention to the fact that our current spike is because a gOvErNmEnT tO gOvErNmEnT dEaL was more important th

sorry i mean to say

STOP POLITISIZING DEE EESUUUUU
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
People fail to see the root cause but blame Kams

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » May 14th, 2021, 12:40 pm

Tbh I don’t think even if we got an early batch like Barbados,
How much of a difference it would have made because it still only vaccinated a small percentage of population.

The play out would have been the same
A low initial take up of the vaccines due to hesitancy especially with the low cases at that point in time
And eventual worsening scenario with rush for vaccines towards the end.

The reality is most of them limers weren’t bothering to go for vaccine then.
They surely would now.

Devourment
Trinituner Peong

Postby Devourment » May 14th, 2021, 12:51 pm

pugboy wrote:Tbh I don’t think even if we got an early batch like Barbados,
How much of a difference it would have made because it still only vaccinated a small percentage of population.

The play out would have been the same
A low initial take up of the vaccines due to hesitancy especially with the low cases at that point in time
And eventual worsening scenario with rush for vaccines towards the end.

The reality is most of them limers weren’t bothering to go for vaccine then.
They surely would now.

It would have saved some lives and reduce the spread slightly. I do agree we would have still had an outbreak, but 70k fully vaccinated people represents 5% of the population, we could have had a minimum of 5% less deaths, but more than likely 10% since high risk persons would have gotten the vaccine first.

Habit7
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Habit7 » May 14th, 2021, 1:26 pm

I dont know what fascination UNC ppl have with Mia Mottley, she is like the Kamla they never had.

When Dr Rowley was proactive and limited nationals returning to TT to manage our numbers Barbados did otherwise and thus we have a lower case per capita than them. Thank God Dr Rowley ignored calls to have ppl return when and where they wanted from, because we would have been dealing with Brazil, UK, South African and Indian variant.

Our Indian HC chose to play politics and when we approached them to BUY vaccines he made unnecessary delay only to tell our govt to write to Modi for a donation only before he told Kamla first so that she could campaign on it. Then India disproportionally gave vaccines, giving smaller countries like Barbados (240K ppl) 100k vaccines, Dominica (70K ppl) 70 vaccines and Antigua (97K ppl) 40K vaccines. While bigger countries got smaller numbers like Guyana (750K ppl) 80K vaccines, Jamaica (2.7M ppl) 80K vaccines and T&T (1.4M ppl) 40K vaccines.

As I said before, India is free to give whoever they want vaccines. Our vaccination program cannot depend on the benevolence of India. But if they were as proactive that you wanted Dr Rowley to be, they would not have sent anybody any vaccines because now their population suffering and they don't have enough vaccines.

Now it is all matter of conspiracy over Sinopharm vaccines when Barbados taking it https://barbadostoday.bb/2021/04/01/bar ... m-mottley/ Jamaica https://nationwideradiojm.com/nhf-chair ... -strategy/ Antigua https://caribbeannewsservice.com/chines ... n-antigua/ and many others. But apparently, the plan was always to get Sinopharm because Pfizer and Moderna were begging us to buy from them.

Devourment
Trinituner Peong

Postby Devourment » May 14th, 2021, 1:51 pm

Habit7 wrote:I dont know what fascination UNC ppl have with Mia Mottley, she is like the Kamla they never had.

When Dr Rowley was proactive and limited nationals returning to TT to manage our numbers Barbados did otherwise and thus we have a lower case per capita than them. Thank God Dr Rowley ignored calls to have ppl return when and where they wanted from, because we would have been dealing with Brazil, UK, South African and Indian variant.

Our Indian HC chose to play politics and when we approached them to BUY vaccines he made unnecessary delay only to tell our govt to write to Modi for a donation only before he told Kamla first so that she could campaign on it. Then India disproportionally gave vaccines, giving smaller countries like Barbados (240K ppl) 100k vaccines, Dominica (70K ppl) 70 vaccines and Antigua (97K ppl) 40K vaccines. While bigger countries got smaller numbers like Guyana (750K ppl) 80K vaccines, Jamaica (2.7M ppl) 80K vaccines and T&T (1.4M ppl) 40K vaccines.

As I said before, India is free to give whoever they want vaccines. Our vaccination program cannot depend on the benevolence of India. But if they were as proactive that you wanted Dr Rowley to be, they would not have sent anybody any vaccines because now their population suffering and they don't have enough vaccines.

Now it is all matter of conspiracy over Sinopharm vaccines when Barbados taking it https://barbadostoday.bb/2021/04/01/bar ... m-mottley/ Jamaica https://nationwideradiojm.com/nhf-chair ... -strategy/ Antigua https://caribbeannewsservice.com/chines ... n-antigua/ and many others. But apparently, the plan was always to get Sinopharm because Pfizer and Moderna were begging us to buy from them.

Our vaccination program NEEDS to benefit from BOTH benevolence and purchase agreements. If we are at a disadvantage at the negotiating table, then use all IR links to secure a supply.

I am not against Sinopharm's vaccine, I'm just stating the facts that the efficacy is lower than most and lots of the data is still missing. We can't say much about it until more data has come in, but it can be seen that reduces severity so that's good enough.

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » May 14th, 2021, 2:15 pm

Habit7 wrote:I dont know what fascination UNC ppl have with Mia Mottley, she is like the Kamla they never had.

If Rowlair was proactive we would have been covid free with Vaccines galore for citizens.

Look where we are now, taking out loans to buy Vaccines. How more idiotic can this red government be .

You full of 5hit with your stupid cover up and arse licking Rowlair butt.

elec2020
12 pounds of Boost

Postby elec2020 » May 14th, 2021, 4:31 pm

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/12/busi ... pharm.html

Seychelles has seen a surge in coronavirus cases even though much of its population was inoculated with China’s Sinopharm vaccine.

Habit7
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Habit7 » May 14th, 2021, 5:22 pm

Citizens, take the Sinopharm vaccine, urges Tim
May 14, 2021 Updated 3 hrs ago

Oncologist/gynecologist Dr Tim Gopeesingh is urging citizens to take the Sinopharm vaccine when it becomes available.

He said that with Trinidad and Tobago recording its highest ever Coronavirus death rate on Thursday, all citizens should accept whatever Covid-19 vaccine is available and being offered at this time.

"Whether it is AstraZeneca, Pfizer, Moderna, Johnson and Johnson or Sinopharm, the vaccines will be of tremendous benefit and reduce the chances of severe disease, hospitalization or death among Covid positive patients" said Gopeesingh in a statement issued on Friday afternoon.

"It is a fact that the efficacy among the various Covid-19 vaccines may differ—two jabs of some at least two months apart, will provide safety of about 90-92 per cent of persons, while others will provide up to 75 per cent. Nevertheless, this strongly outweighs the risks of severe disease or morbidity, whether short term or long term, from Covid-19 infections" he said.

"I also urge the Minister of Finance to ensure that he gives the Ministry of Health priority funding during this crucial stage of the Covid-19 health crisis. This is of paramount importance, in order to ensure that the hospitals and RHAs can afford to hire/pay salaries of the extra medical, nursing and paramedical staff, as well as fund the purchases all the necessary PPE, technical equipment, pharmaceuticals and other health supplies needed to ensure proper care of all current Covid-19 patients."

Gopeesingh said there is also a crucial need for the Health Ministry/RHAs to increase the Covid-19 vaccination centres across the nation (from the existing 25 centres), as well as properly equip them with enough staff and necessary medical supplies.

" An improved communications system for citizens seeking vaccines must also be a priority."

He said the reports out of these centres point to the very high degree of professionalism, courtesy, efficiency from all medical and other personnel.

Gopeesingh is a former Education Minister in the Peoples Partnership government, and former Member of Parliament for Caroni East.

https://trinidadexpress.com/newsextra/c ... 2b26e.html

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » May 14th, 2021, 5:24 pm

Habit7 wrote:
redmanjp wrote:
Devourment wrote:

Good info, the final page is a bit worrying though.

Screenshot 2021-05-12 at 12.52.30 am.png

Maybe we should adopt a strategy of AZ for over 60, Sinopharm for under 60.

under 60 only with no NCDs, basically young and healthy- the main reason to give it to this group is herd immunity, but it won't prevent most hospitalizations if older ppl don't get it and there isn't another vaccine available for them.

but when next we getting AZ? i think next month is the final batch and that's only 33000?

all this uncertainty in acquiring a large enough amount of vaccines yet health minister say herd immunity in 6-7 months :roll:

We could get herd-immunity 6-7mths with the 1.5M Sinopharm we are ordering. They won't all come at once because some will expire.

Ppl were complaining for AZ, AZ came and they start to complain about blood clots
The WHO approve Sinopharm, ppl acting like they consulted PNM to get it approved and to help China

IDK about you but I want this to be over. If you always eating Chinese food but can't trust a Chinese vaccine made by the most popular and safe way we have been making vaccines which is with deactivated virus, then you like the pandemic and you don't want it to be over.
I buy enough chinee ting already, u so sure it deactivated? U so sure is covid?
UR better than me.

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » May 14th, 2021, 5:25 pm

Musical Doc wrote:Also keep in mind that the vaccine protects you for 8-9 months according to what I read on the ministry of health website. So what is going to be the situation next year? Is the government going to be able to purchase vaccines again?
There will be a covid shot every year just like a flu shot.

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » May 14th, 2021, 5:39 pm

teems1 wrote:
zoom rader wrote:All of this could have been avoided if the red government was proactive in dealing with covid.

Citizens have to die before the red government got off their arse rather than stealing HSF to give to the 1%

Take more bull

For a year now many have been WFH.
Closed borders.
Creation of parallel health system.
Daily bulletins and frequent press conferences.
Monetary grants made possible.
Schools have been online.
Legislation put in place to assist with social distancing and essential businesses.
Cracking down on zesser/wesser parties.
Joined COVAX.

The only real missteps was the Easter weekend fiasco, inability to secure the borders from illegals and not requesting vaccine donations from India like the other Caribbean nations.

Election campaigns happened on both sides, and the porous borders are due to Trinis illegally trafficking.

What more do you want?

Borders weren't closed, just made it hard for foreign based nationals to come back. Vene, 1% moved as they please. Saying it closed doesn't means it's closed especially since people still flowed relatively freely.

Parallel health system wasted a lot of money on stunt step down, when they could have used the closed schools.
Daily bulletins was space in info untill people complaint and showed the stats that other countries was doing, then we actually posted info.
Money grants made possible, but not enough, and tardy and lengthy to dustribute. As well as the means of distribution encouraged gathering, risking covid

Schools online and to this day some students don't have access online, while we hired private security to patrol 1% areas.
All that legislation came late, to allow a free means to campaign for the elections, and they cancelled parliament for no obvious reason.

Crackdown on zesser wesser parties was fir show 1% still unaffected

Most every thing they did that was okay. Happened late.

They now setting up tents, could have used the local ones, or the closed buildings we pay fro but not using

elec2020
12 pounds of Boost

Postby elec2020 » May 14th, 2021, 5:39 pm

sMASH wrote:
Musical Doc wrote:Also keep in mind that the vaccine protects you for 8-9 months according to what I read on the ministry of health website. So what is going to be the situation next year? Is the government going to be able to purchase vaccines again?

Pfizer already stated this

https://www.fiercepharma.com/pharma/pfi ... -comirnaty

redmanjp
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby redmanjp » May 14th, 2021, 8:03 pm

if we taking sinopharm we definitely need a booster to reach herd immunity

Dohplaydat
punchin NOS

Postby Dohplaydat » May 14th, 2021, 8:04 pm

elec2020 wrote:
sMASH wrote:

And when covid cases eventually diees down, people will get complacent and not take their covid vaccine. So in future covid outbreaks will just be another part of life.

Make sure yourself and older folks and those with comorbidities take the vax.
Habit7 wrote:

Oncologist/gynecologist Dr Tim Gopeesingh is urging citizens to take the Sinopharm vaccine when it becomes available.

He said that with Trinidad and Tobago recording its highest ever Coronavirus death rate on Thursday, all citizens should accept whatever Covid-19 vaccine is available and being offered at this time.

"Whether it is AstraZeneca, Pfizer, Moderna, Johnson and Johnson or Sinopharm, the vaccines will be of tremendous benefit and reduce the chances of severe disease, hospitalization or death among Covid positive patients" said Gopeesingh in a statement issued on Friday afternoon.

"It is a fact that the efficacy among the various Covid-19 vaccines may differ—two jabs of some at least two months apart, will provide safety of about 90-92 per cent of persons, while others will provide up to 75 per cent. Nevertheless, this strongly outweighs the risks of severe disease or morbidity, whether short term or long term, from Covid-19 infections" he said.

"I also urge the Minister of Finance to ensure that he gives the Ministry of Health priority funding during this crucial stage of the Covid-19 health crisis. This is of paramount importance, in order to ensure that the hospitals and RHAs can afford to hire/pay salaries of the extra medical, nursing and paramedical staff, as well as fund the purchases all the necessary PPE, technical equipment, pharmaceuticals and other health supplies needed to ensure proper care of all current Covid-19 patients."

Gopeesingh said there is also a crucial need for the Health Ministry/RHAs to increase the Covid-19 vaccination centres across the nation (from the existing 25 centres), as well as properly equip them with enough staff and necessary medical supplies.

" An improved communications system for citizens seeking vaccines must also be a priority."

He said the reports out of these centres point to the very high degree of professionalism, courtesy, efficiency from all medical and other personnel.

Gopeesingh is a former Education Minister in the Peoples Partnership government, and former Member of Parliament for Caroni East.

I agree 100%, we have no choice.

It doesn't negate my criticisms of this vaccine, which concerns the low efficacy and lack of data. But still, it seems safe so I'd take it.

Dohplaydat
punchin NOS

Postby Dohplaydat » May 14th, 2021, 8:06 pm

Screenshot 2021-05-14 at 8.05.47 pm.png

Effectiveness of the Pfizer-BioNTech and Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccines on covid-19 related symptoms, hospital admissions, and mortality in older adults in England: test negative case-control study

Conclusion Vaccination with either one dose of BNT162b2 or ChAdOx1-S was associated with a significant reduction in symptomatic covid-19 in older adults, and with further protection against severe disease. Both vaccines showed similar effects. Protection was maintained for the duration of follow-up (>6 weeks). A second dose of BNT162b2 was associated with further protection against symptomatic disease. A clear effect of the vaccines against the B.1.1.7 variant was found.

https://www.bmj.com/content/373/bmj.n1088

Dohplaydat
punchin NOS

Postby Dohplaydat » May 14th, 2021, 10:46 pm

Look thing....

Pfizer CEO Says Lower-Income Countries Didn’t Order Vaccines

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... r-vaccines

Pfizer Inc.’s chief executive said that low- and middle-income countries had opted not to order the company’s Covid-19 shot, in a letter posted online after the Biden administration said it supported waiving patents to expand global access to vaccines.

“We reached out to all nations asking them to place orders so we could allocate doses for them,” Chief Executive Officer Albert Bourla said in a letter addressed to Pfizer employees. “In reality, the high-income countries reserved most of the doses. I became personally concerned with that and I reached out to many heads of middle/low-income countries by letter, phone and even text to urge them to reserve doses because the supply was limited.”

Most low-and middle-income countries he contacted decided to place orders with other vaccine makers either because the underlying technology used in Pfizer’s shot was still untested, or there were local production options available, Bourla wrote.

He said some countries didn’t ever approve the vaccine, which Pfizer developed with its German partner BioNTech SE.

Waiver Debate
On Wednesday, U.S. Trade Representative Katherine Tai said the U.S. would support efforts to reach a deal on waiving intellectual-property protections for Covid-19 vaccines, in a reversal of longstanding policy. Proponents of the move say it could expand access, though critics say there is no current capacity to begin producing cheaper versions of vaccines like the one made by Pfizer.

In a letter responding to the public debate over the proposal, Bourla said that Pfizer and BioNTech use a tiered pricing model for their vaccine. Middle-income countries are asked to pay half what the highest-income nations do, while low-income countries are offered the shot at cost. Such tiered pricing was pioneered by Gilead Sciences Inc. as it commercialized its HIV drugs.

Pfizer and BioNtech are on track to deliver 3 billion doses this year to more than 116 countries, Bourla said, and that the 450 million doses delivered to date have been heavily weighted toward higher-income countries that pay the most. In the U.S., the two-dose regimen is priced at $39.

Read More: U.S. Trade Chief Meets Pfizer, AstraZeneca About Vaccine Supply

Bourla expects 40% of doses, or more than 1 billion, will go to middle- and low-income countries this year. “We expect the supply balance to weigh in their favor in the second half of 2021,” he said, “and to have virtually enough supply for all in 2022.”

Next year, the Pfizer-BioNTech partnership will likely be able to deliver 4 billion doses, he said.

Pfizer Supply

Although Pfizer hasn’t been shown to charge the most for its vaccine, and has adjusted prices down for less wealthy countries, it isn’t the cheapest product. For example, documents show that Colombia paid about $12 a dose for Pfizer’s vaccine, and South Africa agreed to buy doses for about $10 each, bringing full regimens to $24 and $20, respectively.

Meanwhile, South Africa committed $5.25 a dose, or $10.50 for each full regimen, for AstraZeneca Plc’s vaccine, in line with the company’s pledge to sell the product at cost. South Africa halted its rollout of the Astra vaccine after it showed low efficacy against the coronavirus variant spreading there.

Still, logistics may be as important an issue as price.

Ezekiel Emanuel, a medical ethics and health policy professor at the University of Pennsylvania, said that the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine still poses challenges for countries without robust infrastructure to maintain it at ultra-cold temperatures.

“It’s the most difficult to handle of them all,” he said, “and that adds to the problem. It’s not only low-income countries that were hesitant to take that up.”

U.S.-Pharma Friction

Bourla met virtually with the U.S. trade representative last week. In the letter, he said that such a waiver threatens to disrupt Pfizer’s ability to manufacture the shots at scale given raw materials are in short supply.

“I worry that waiving of patent protection will disincentivize anyone else from taking a big risk,” he said. “The recent rhetoric will not discourage us from continuing investing in science.”

Separately, the U.S. trade chief held a meeting with AstraZeneca’s Ruud Dobber, who run’s the company’s biopharmaceuticals business unit. The executives argued that the fastest way for the U.S. to help developing countries is to release its own stockpile of vaccines, including the tens of millions of doses of AstraZeneca’s two-shot regimen, which hasn’t yet been authorized for use in the country.

Emanuel, who served on Biden’s transition Covid advisory board, said that a patent waiver isn’t the most effective way to quickly build enough supply for the rest of the world.

“Giving the patent is like sharing a recipe, and the know-how is cooking it, and getting everything right,” he said.

Moderna Inc., a competitor to Pfizer, is not enforcing its own patent for the duration of the pandemic. Emanuel said that hasn’t contributed to a significant surge in supply from other manufacturers.

“We know the patent isn’t the critical element, it’s production,” Emanuel said.

bluefete
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby bluefete » May 14th, 2021, 10:55 pm

Fully Vaccinated but getting Covid like rain.

How surprising are the vaccinated Yankees’ COVID-19 cases? Experts explain the implications

Hannah Keyser
Thu, May 13, 2021, 11:03 PM·5 min read

New York Yankees

A coronavirus outbreak among vaccinated players and staff has “rocked” the New York Yankees and attracted the attention of the CDC this week. So far, eight people, including shortstop Gleyber Torres, have tested positive more than 14 days after being fully vaccinated.

Because the team has a high level of vaccinated personnel, the Yankees have not missed any games while weathering this outbreak, and seven of the eight cases have been asymptomatic. Still, the accidental case study of post-vaccine positives could have implications for the remainder of the baseball season as well as the broader public.

Immunology and virology experts who spoke to Yahoo Sports on Thursday were not terribly surprised that fully vaccinated people were testing positive, particularly considering all the Yankees' affected personnel got the Johnson & Johnson vaccine. But they identified important questions for fully understanding the implications of the outbreak.

The Yankees cleared MLB’s 85 percent threshold for lowered protocols at the end of April, and manager Aaron Boone said that “very few” members of their traveling party are not vaccinated. But baseball players are not in a secure bubble, and the broader population is still vaccinated at a much lower overall rate.

“Problem is we treat this as if our family or work, or our social group is the herd,” explained Dr. Benjamin Neuman, a professor of biology and GHRC Chief Virologist at Texas A&M University. “But the herd is everybody, and herd immunity means everybody's gotta get [vaccinated].”

With cases and hospitalizations declining, it’s clear that vaccinations are working. But herd immunity remains far off, if it will ever be accessible. In the meantime, “A lot of little exposures can lead to a breakthrough,” Neuman said.

How a single breakthrough led to eight cases among a highly vaccinated population, however, is at the crux of a public health issue.

Dr. John P. Moore, a professor of microbiology and immunology at Weill Cornell Medical College, wondered whether all the breakthrough cases were the result of the same exposure to an unvaccinated infectious source. “Or did one Yankee get infected and then transmit to someone else?”

“It's not too unexpected that vaccine recipients will get asymptomatic or low-grade infection, particularly with J&J, because J&J is known to be 70 percent, approximately, effective at preventing mild disease,” he added. (The CDC says that, in clinical trials, J&J was 66.3 percent effective at preventing positive COVID-19 tests).

“But, what would be unexpected is an infected J&J vaccine recipient then passing the infection on to someone else," Moore said. "That would be surprising.”

Moore would also want to know precisely which sequence of the virus is circulating among the Yankees. Multiple more transmissible variants have circulated recently in New York City.

“And we know that these variants change the equation in terms of how well protected a person will be and how long that protection will last, because all the vaccines are made against the original 2019 version of the virus and the virus has been out there working hard and changing, improving itself out in the world,” said Neuman.

Both experts expressed concern that the Yankees received the Johnson & Johnson vaccine. For a baseball team whose operations depend on a clean slate of negative results, they would have recommended teams pursue one of the mRNA vaccines (Moderna and Pfizer), which have been shown to be 94.1 percent and 95 percent effective, according to the CDC.

Neuman stressed that in clinical trials even the J&J vaccine worked better with multiple doses and the decision to market a one-dose vaccine was more strategic (it adds a critical level of flexibility for vaccinating transient groups, rural populations, and homebound people.)

“It's more likely that you will run into this problem with J&J vaccinated people than with mRNA vaccinated people because that's what the vaccine efficacy trial results show,” Moore said. “Again, if your goal is to keep your players on the field of play, that means you have to have negative testing, and you are more likely to get negative testing with the more potent vaccines.”

In baseball, the case could be a preview of problems to come for other clubs that relaxed protocols after reaching the 85 percent threshold with J&J shots.

This is not to say that people who receive the J&J are at significantly more risk from COVID-19. Even in the case of the Yankees’ outbreak, the vaccine has proven valuable and effective at mitigating the severity. Seven of the eight Yankees who tested positive have not experienced any symptoms and third-base coach Phil Nevin, the first person to test positive and the only one to feel sick, is now asymptomatic as well.

For most people relying on vaccines to protect them from COVID-19 illness, hospitalization and death, the J&J is a perfectly viable option. In fact, as of Friday, the CDC will update its categorization to only count fully vaccinated patients who test positive for COVID as “breakthrough” cases if they’re hospitalized or die, which means the current Yankees cases wouldn’t even be tallied.

But because the Yankees have regimented, robust testing (Boone was tested at least three times Thursday), there’s a chance to better understand how COVID-19 spreads between vaccinated individuals. Which brings us back to that key question: Did all of the infected Yankees catch it from a shared, unvaccinated source, or did fully vaccinated individuals pass it to one another?

“I would want to know what happened,” Moore said, “because it's of interest – not just from a sports fan perspective, although I like sports – it's of interest from the wider public health perspective to figure out what happened.”

https://sports.yahoo.com/how-surprising ... 55895.html

elec2020
12 pounds of Boost

Postby elec2020 » May 15th, 2021, 9:17 am

Dohplaydat wrote:
elec2020 wrote:
sMASH wrote:

And when covid cases eventually diees down, people will get complacent and not take their covid vaccine. So in future covid outbreaks will just be another part of life.

Make sure yourself and older folks and those with comorbidities take the vax.
Habit7 wrote:

I agree 100%, we have no choice.

It doesn't negate my criticisms of this vaccine, which concerns the low efficacy and lack of data. But still, it seems safe so I'd take it.

u can take it. I have no obligation to do so. Neither should anyone else. Slavery days done. No one should be able to force u to take anything into your body just so.

elec2020
12 pounds of Boost

Postby elec2020 » May 15th, 2021, 9:19 am

bluefete wrote:Fully Vaccinated but getting Covid like rain.

How surprising are the vaccinated Yankees’ COVID-19 cases? Experts explain the implications

Hannah Keyser

New York Yankees

A coronavirus outbreak among vaccinated players and staff has “rocked” the New York Yankees and attracted the attention of the CDC this week. So far, eight people, including shortstop Gleyber Torres, have tested positive more than 14 days after being fully vaccinated.

Because the team has a high level of vaccinated personnel, the Yankees have not missed any games while weathering this outbreak, and seven of the eight cases have been asymptomatic. Still, the accidental case study of post-vaccine positives could have implications for the remainder of the baseball season as well as the broader public.

Immunology and virology experts who spoke to Yahoo Sports on Thursday were not terribly surprised that fully vaccinated people were testing positive, particularly considering all the Yankees' affected personnel got the Johnson & Johnson vaccine. But they identified important questions for fully understanding the implications of the outbreak.

The Yankees cleared MLB’s 85 percent threshold for lowered protocols at the end of April, and manager Aaron Boone said that “very few” members of their traveling party are not vaccinated. But baseball players are not in a secure bubble, and the broader population is still vaccinated at a much lower overall rate.

“Problem is we treat this as if our family or work, or our social group is the herd,” explained Dr. Benjamin Neuman, a professor of biology and GHRC Chief Virologist at Texas A&M University. “But the herd is everybody, and herd immunity means everybody's gotta get [vaccinated].”

With cases and hospitalizations declining, it’s clear that vaccinations are working. But herd immunity remains far off, if it will ever be accessible. In the meantime, “A lot of little exposures can lead to a breakthrough,” Neuman said.

How a single breakthrough led to eight cases among a highly vaccinated population, however, is at the crux of a public health issue.

Dr. John P. Moore, a professor of microbiology and immunology at Weill Cornell Medical College, wondered whether all the breakthrough cases were the result of the same exposure to an unvaccinated infectious source. “Or did one Yankee get infected and then transmit to someone else?”

“It's not too unexpected that vaccine recipients will get asymptomatic or low-grade infection, particularly with J&J, because J&J is known to be 70 percent, approximately, effective at preventing mild disease,” he added. (The CDC says that, in clinical trials, J&J was 66.3 percent effective at preventing positive COVID-19 tests).

“But, what would be unexpected is an infected J&J vaccine recipient then passing the infection on to someone else," Moore said. "That would be surprising.”

Moore would also want to know precisely which sequence of the virus is circulating among the Yankees. Multiple more transmissible variants have circulated recently in New York City.

“And we know that these variants change the equation in terms of how well protected a person will be and how long that protection will last, because all the vaccines are made against the original 2019 version of the virus and the virus has been out there working hard and changing, improving itself out in the world,” said Neuman.

Both experts expressed concern that the Yankees received the Johnson & Johnson vaccine. For a baseball team whose operations depend on a clean slate of negative results, they would have recommended teams pursue one of the mRNA vaccines (Moderna and Pfizer), which have been shown to be 94.1 percent and 95 percent effective, according to the CDC.

Neuman stressed that in clinical trials even the J&J vaccine worked better with multiple doses and the decision to market a one-dose vaccine was more strategic (it adds a critical level of flexibility for vaccinating transient groups, rural populations, and homebound people.)

“It's more likely that you will run into this problem with J&J vaccinated people than with mRNA vaccinated people because that's what the vaccine efficacy trial results show,” Moore said. “Again, if your goal is to keep your players on the field of play, that means you have to have negative testing, and you are more likely to get negative testing with the more potent vaccines.”

In baseball, the case could be a preview of problems to come for other clubs that relaxed protocols after reaching the 85 percent threshold with J&J shots.

This is not to say that people who receive the J&J are at significantly more risk from COVID-19. Even in the case of the Yankees’ outbreak, the vaccine has proven valuable and effective at mitigating the severity. Seven of the eight Yankees who tested positive have not experienced any symptoms and third-base coach Phil Nevin, the first person to test positive and the only one to feel sick, is now asymptomatic as well.

For most people relying on vaccines to protect them from COVID-19 illness, hospitalization and death, the J&J is a perfectly viable option. In fact, as of Friday, the CDC will update its categorization to only count fully vaccinated patients who test positive for COVID as “breakthrough” cases if they’re hospitalized or die, which means the current Yankees cases wouldn’t even be tallied.

But because the Yankees have regimented, robust testing (Boone was tested at least three times Thursday), there’s a chance to better understand how COVID-19 spreads between vaccinated individuals. Which brings us back to that key question: Did all of the infected Yankees catch it from a shared, unvaccinated source, or did fully vaccinated individuals pass it to one another?

“I would want to know what happened,” Moore said, “because it's of interest – not just from a sports fan perspective, although I like sports – it's of interest from the wider public health perspective to figure out what happened.”

its always some excuse when the vaccine fail or someone died after taking it. if people wanna be guinea pigs let them go ahead.

j.o.e
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby j.o.e » May 15th, 2021, 9:24 am

elec2020 wrote:
bluefete wrote:Fully Vaccinated but getting Covid like rain.

Hannah Keyser

New York Yankees

its always some excuse when the vaccine fail or someone died after taking it. if people wanna be guinea pigs let them go ahead.

Well failures and deaths are statistically small. No one has to take it but choose which side you want to be on.

elec2020
12 pounds of Boost

Postby elec2020 » May 15th, 2021, 9:40 am

^
The Seychelles is the most vaccinated nation on Earth. But Covid has surged

The health ministry said more than a third of people who tested positive for Covid-19 in the week to May 8 had been fully vaccinated.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/05/13/seychel ... urged.html

2WNBoost
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby 2WNBoost » May 17th, 2021, 11:02 am

Hold on to this...

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”