TriniTuner 24-7

Re: Re: PNM in Gov't

Postby Habit7 » April 20th, 2021, 11:53 am

Kickstart wrote:
Habit7 wrote:
Kickstart wrote:
Lets see a tax was placed on online shopping because

i. of forex
ii. local powerful businessmen complained that online shopping affecting their sales.

so these measures are put in place but what has that caused ? and dont blame Covid as this was way before Covid.
The economy is not looking good and the measures in place is not working. People are just not spending

This was before covid https://oxfordbusinessgroup.com/news/wh ... -forecasts

As I pointed out before on some other lament thread, the TT economy was projected for growth, not by Imbert, but by independent international financial observers, or as some like to call them PNM.

Of course the economy is not looking good now because of covid. But 8mths ago we had a choice in who we wanted to carry us through the storm and the majority of ppl choose PNM again. So things are not going to turn around in a day, stop whining and lamenting and just deal with what T&T and the majority of world countries are facing right now.
For the last time the cause of this bad economy is not due to covid. It is the policies put in place by the government. They are shifting the blame on covid when in fact its their own policies , taxation and lost of job that is the root cause

As MP imbert said" they have not rioted yet" these are the new measures that they put out on test.

You keep saying things light of facts to the contrary.

Redman
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Redman » April 20th, 2021, 12:01 pm

Kickstart
I would suggest that the singular determinant of our economic performance are oil and gas prices.

To think that there are differences between the political parties in terms of economic policy or philosophical policy direction is to really give our political directorate more credit than they are worthy of.

That said if you can identify any....I would be impressed.

Without exception our economy bounces from budget to budget and that is priced on where oil/gas prices are.

bluefete
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby bluefete » April 20th, 2021, 12:39 pm

Zoom get ban again orrr?

elec2020
12 pounds of Boost

Postby elec2020 » April 20th, 2021, 1:44 pm

Kickstart wrote:
Habit7 wrote:
Kickstart wrote:
Lets see a tax was placed on online shopping because

i. of forex
ii. local powerful businessmen complained that online shopping affecting their sales.

so these measures are put in place but what has that caused ? and dont blame Covid as this was way before Covid.
The economy is not looking good and the measures in place is not working. People are just not spending

This was before covid https://oxfordbusinessgroup.com/news/wh ... -forecasts

As I pointed out before on some other lament thread, the TT economy was projected for growth, not by Imbert, but by independent international financial observers, or as some like to call them PNM.

Of course the economy is not looking good now because of covid. But 8mths ago we had a choice in who we wanted to carry us through the storm and the majority of ppl choose PNM again. So things are not going to turn around in a day, stop whining and lamenting and just deal with what T&T and the majority of world countries are facing right now.
For the last time the cause of this bad economy is not due to covid. It is the policies put in place by the government. They are shifting the blame on covid when in fact its their own policies , taxation and lost of job that is the root cause

As MP imbert said" they have not rioted yet" these are the new measures that they put out on test.

T&T is an oil and gas economy that has failed to diversify itself properly. I think in some reports its stated that 60 per cent of our domestic economic activity is generated by activities in the oil and gas sector. Therefore, if energy prices are low or oil and gas production domestically is low, then by default economic activity will be low. Keep in mind that given that the lion's share of GDP is influenced by the energy sector it is not farfetched that the other economic sectors that drive GDP (that is, the remaining sectors that contribute 40 per cent of our GDP) are closely tied to activities in the energy sector. For example, manufacturing. Given that oil prices have plummeted since 2014 and oil and gas production (i think i am too lazy to double check the figures atm) has also fallen (by a good bit) it is by no stretch of the imagination that TnT is doing badly since the PNM has come in. The current situation we are facing has been expounded by covid-19 which (LIKE IN ALL OTHER ECONOMIES AROUND THE WORLD) among other things has hurt energy prices as well as productive capacities in all segments of the economy. to say otherwise is foolish. armchair economists are the worst. Could the policies by the government been better? of course. but by no means would that have magically turned things around as at the end of the day we are still an oil and gas economy and failing to diversify will be our undoing in the long term. in fact policies by the government to turn things around would have made things worse for everyone as (for example) extensive financial support that was unbudgeted for in a deficit budget is a mistake. deficit budgets would have to stop and if u think things bad now wait for the time when government decides it needs to go for surplus budgets to help put itself in a better position to repay the debt incurred to prop up the society (a debt that is about 90 per cent of GDP). then again armchair economists live in la la land so they don't understand all of these points

sam1978
Riding on 16's

Re: PNM in Gov't

Postby sam1978 » April 20th, 2021, 2:06 pm

You seem to be in la la land too or just trying to make excuses for the govt . Some form of diversification would have been better than sitting idly by and doing nothing.

At least it would have put us in a better position in the future at a closer time. Worse than that they are inviting friends over to share in what is a quickly shrinking pantry of resources , and allowing illegals to enter at will by not properly securing the borders. Forex is at an all time low with no signs of increasing soon and when we start to bawl for shortages , the guests just have to go to somebody else house .

I not too worried because the new “hero” MONS will come to our rescue . He will do what is needed to correct the influx of venes.

Btw it’s compounded , not expounded.

Kickstart
Riding on 16's

Postby Kickstart » April 20th, 2021, 2:16 pm

sam1978 wrote:You seem to be in la la land too or just trying to make excuses for the govt . Some form of diversification would have been better than sitting idly by and doing nothing.

At least it would have put us in a better position in the future at a closer time. Worse than that they are inviting friends over to share in what is a quickly shrinking pantry of resources , and allowing illegals to enter at will by not properly securing the borders. Forex is at an all time low with no signs of increasing soon and when we start to bawl for shortages , the guests just have to go to somebody else house .

I not too worried because the new “hero” MONS will come to our rescue . He will do what is needed to correct the influx of venes.

It appears to me that posters who are in favour of the government are making excuses for them . There seems to be a handful of these posters to which and I am sure that there are many other s who don't agree with the excuses. One such poster was caught back pedaling when confronted.

elec2020
12 pounds of Boost

Postby elec2020 » April 20th, 2021, 2:22 pm

did i not say that we need to diversify? so what is your point? also do you have proof of this claim "inviting friends over to share in what is a quickly shrinking pantry of resources" where is the proof of that? if so please share. forex is maybe low because idk, as i said before low energy prices and low energy sector production so less for ex flowing in but still high for ex expenditure. u not adding anything new to this discussion. oh no wait u corrected a typo so u get points for that:

Habit7
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Habit7 » April 20th, 2021, 2:32 pm

Kickstart wrote:
sam1978 wrote:You seem to be in la la land too or just trying to make excuses for the govt . Some form of diversification would have been better than sitting idly by and doing nothing.

It appears to me that posters who are in favour of the government are making excuses for them . There seems to be a handful of these posters to which and I am sure that there are many other s who don't agree with the excuses. One such poster was caught back pedaling when confronted.

Nobody is making excuses. You are posting incorrect things and when you are corrected you are calling it excuses.

You were wrong about the Moruga road, property tax and TT's economic growth path before covid-19. We get it, you don't like the govt, join the line. To blame the govt without acknowledging the external factors is foolish. Changing local political parties won't change external issues.

sam1978
Riding on 16's

Postby sam1978 » April 20th, 2021, 2:36 pm

This govt has been here for five + years and have they taken steps to do so?

Forex is scarce, if we keep at this rate would it get better or would it deplete? When 100000+ extra mouths have to eat , on the same available food bill, and then send some back home,what’s next? When it’s done , what would our purchases come from?

Expounded means to explain ,compounded means to aggravate or increase , so I should leave it and don’t say anything and say it’s a typo? Allyuh good yes!
Last edited by sam1978 on April 20th, 2021, 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

elec2020
12 pounds of Boost

Postby elec2020 » April 20th, 2021, 2:38 pm

^ they just creating things and hoping that something sticks. they clearly have agendas

elec2020
12 pounds of Boost

Postby elec2020 » April 20th, 2021, 2:40 pm

sam1978 wrote:This govt has been here for five + years and have they taken steps to do so?

Forex is scarce, if we keep at this rate would it get better or would it deplete? When it’s done , what would our purchases come from?

Expounded means to explain ,compounded means to aggravate or increase , so I should leave it and don’t say anything and say it’s a typo? Allyuh good yes!

sam1978
Riding on 16's

Postby sam1978 » April 20th, 2021, 2:44 pm

I now see why people ridicule you here. I’m asking questions and pointing out a mistake which changes the meaning and that’s your reply? What agenda ? Tell me what’s wrong in what I say without attacking me and replying to someone else instead of answering.

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » April 20th, 2021, 2:45 pm

.....Image

Devourment
Trinituner Peong

Postby Devourment » April 20th, 2021, 2:46 pm

adnj wrote:.....Image

Should have said give you a blood clot

sam1978
Riding on 16's

Postby sam1978 » April 20th, 2021, 2:51 pm

Let’s try again.

No diversification.
Low forex supply.
Influx of illegal immigrants.
Country finances in a bad shape.
Compound means increase or aggravate.

Which one is incorrect ? (without childish memes and attacks)

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » April 20th, 2021, 3:10 pm

sam1978 wrote:Let’s try again.

No diversification.
Low forex supply.

Aggravate? Aggregate, yes.

The country's wealth is attributed to its large reserves and exploitation of oil and natural gas. ... Oil and gas account for about 40% of GDP and 80% of exports, but only 5% of employment.

Lots of oil wealth for 30 years coming to an end. If you don't have a plan by now, it's too late.

Dohplaydat
punchin NOS

Postby Dohplaydat » April 20th, 2021, 3:48 pm

adnj wrote:

No diversification.
Low forex supply.

The country's wealth is attributed to its large reserves and exploitation of oil and natural gas. ... Oil and gas account for about 40% of GDP and 80% of exports, but only 5% of employment.

Lots of oil wealth for 30 years coming to an end. If you don't have a plan by now, it's too late.

PNM's plan seems to be increase tax, and hope oil goes up.

Where Habit7, please tell us there's more.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » April 20th, 2021, 3:55 pm

you talking about gravel ?

adnj wrote:

No diversification.
Low forex supply.

Habit7
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Habit7 » April 20th, 2021, 4:11 pm

No diversification.
Low forex supply.

If anything, I am getting fed of how cynical this place getting. Everybody has a lament about what others should do and not one extra responsibility is put on themself.

You have a main salary and might have varying side hustles. To make your side hustles as large as your main salary requires tremendous work and time, more than likely is not going to happen or as you retire, you can focus on 1 of your side hustles and try and bloom it.
To be crying diversify, diversify when for the last 60yrs we have a goose that constantly laying a gold egg, you want us to match that with something else? That won't be in 5yrs probably neither 10. Income from oil and gas has made us one of the best economies in the region to live in and made us the envy of others, only for some entitled ungratefuls to be crying every morning about how tough it is here. I am sure most of you never travelled around the region beyond the USA.

Also, when the British took over Trinidad from the Spanish the island had less than 3000 ppl here and was woefully underpopulated. Throughout the history of Trinidad, there has been migration here especially drawn by the good economy you are now decrying. Venezuelans have been coming here illegally for years as it is impossible to seal a border. The current issues now in Venezuela is a further push factor for them coming and it is not that TT is pulling them here. The US and EU with the strongest and most funded militaries in the world can't stop their influx of migrants. But some cynic here in Trinidad believes that there is some magic button to press to stop illegal migration? They are coming and in a few years will be grateful that they did just like the other migrants because our ageing population means we are having a shrinking workforce. They are buying us some time.

The forex problem is a result of falling oil and gas prices since 2014 which are the greatest source of or forex. Until we can ramp back up production, forex will start to stabilise. But even as you argue about compound and expound, "Forex is at an all time low" is a very wrong statement. Also, our forex problem is also a result of our high-income economy and our lust for imported goods. Just devaluing the TT will not solve the problem and will hurt the poorest most.

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » April 20th, 2021, 4:17 pm

pugboy wrote:you talking about gravel ?

adnj wrote:

No diversification.
Low forex supply.

elec2020
12 pounds of Boost

Postby elec2020 » April 20th, 2021, 4:40 pm

Habit7 wrote:

No diversification.
Low forex supply.

If anything, I am getting fed of how cynical this place getting. Everybody has a lament about what others should do and not one extra responsibility is put on themself.

You have a main salary and might have varying side hustles. To make your side hustles as large as your main salary requires tremendous work and time, more than likely is not going to happen or as you retire, you can focus on 1 of your side hustles and try and bloom it.
To be crying diversify, diversify when for the last 60yrs we have a goose that constantly laying a gold egg, you want us to match that with something else? That won't be in 5yrs probably neither 10. Income from oil and gas has made us one of the best economies in the region to live in and made us the envy of others, only for some entitled ungratefuls to be crying every morning about how tough it is here. I am sure most of you never travelled around the region beyond the USA.

Also, when the British took over Trinidad from the Spanish the island had less than 3000 ppl here and was woefully underpopulated. Throughout the history of Trinidad, there has been migration here especially drawn by the good economy you are now decrying. Venezuelans have been coming here illegally for years as it is impossible to seal a border. The current issues now in Venezuela is a further push factor for them coming and it is not that TT is pulling them here. The US and EU with the strongest and most funded militaries in the world can't stop their influx of migrants. But some cynic here in Trinidad believes that there is some magic button to press to stop illegal migration? They are coming and in a few years will be grateful that they did just like the other migrants because our ageing population means we are having a shrinking workforce. They are buying us some time.

The forex problem is a result of falling oil and gas prices since 2014 which are the greatest source of or forex. Until we can ramp back up production, forex will start to stabilise. But even as you argue about compound and expound, "Forex is at an all time low" is a very wrong statement. Also, our forex problem is also a result of our high-income economy and our lust for imported goods. Just devaluing the TT will not solve the problem and will hurt the poorest most.

when the persons strongest talking point is because i used an incorrect word shows that they are nothing more but a fool

sam1978
Riding on 16's

Postby sam1978 » April 20th, 2021, 4:44 pm

Habit7 wrote:

No diversification.
Low forex supply.

The forex is a result of falling oil and gas prices since 2014, what should we do? Wait for another windfall or start doing something , at least to make an easier transition to the time when we can’t depend on it any more. If we start from now to prepare for the next twenty years , we might have a chance?

Comparing the migrant situation to when the population was 3000? It’s different now plus the economic situation we’re in doesn’t support illegal, wanton immigration. It has to be controlled both for numbers and to have a record who is here. We can’t sit and do nothing like what applies now. Don’t excuse it because our, mine and yours, govt isn’t doing what they’re supposed to be doing.
Last edited by sam1978 on April 20th, 2021, 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sam1978
Riding on 16's

Postby sam1978 » April 20th, 2021, 4:47 pm

elec2020 wrote:
Habit7 wrote:

No diversification.
Low forex supply.

when the persons strongest talking point is because i used an incorrect word shows that they are nothing more but a fool

Name calling? Because someone corrected you for using the wrong word ? Yet you say I am the fool?

elec2020
12 pounds of Boost

Postby elec2020 » April 20th, 2021, 5:06 pm

^ok aggravate

Habit7
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Habit7 » April 20th, 2021, 5:14 pm

sam1978 wrote:
The forex is a result of falling oil and gas prices since 2014, what should we do? Wait for another windfall or start doing something , at least to make an easier transition to the time when we can’t depend on it any more. If we start from now to prepare for the next twenty years , we might have a chance?

Comparing the migrant situation to when the population was 3000? It’s different now plus the economic situation were in doesn’t support illegal, wanton immigration. It has to be controlled both for numbers and to have a record who is here. We can’t sit and do nothing like what applies now. Don’t excuse it because our, mine and yours, govt isn’t doing what they’re supposed to be doing.

Things were done. We changed our taxation policy to the international oil companies and we restructured our national oil company, we were gaining access to cross border gas and we started production on shared border gas. All those things were to shore up our bread and butter oil and gas. Both World Bank and IMF forecasted increasing growth in 2019 and beyond. Then covid-19 came.
With diversification, govt tried to bring Sandals, Opposition proudly boasted that they scuttled that with bad press. La Brea shipbuilding yard is yet to start, that is solely govt's fault probably because of lack of funding from TT or China. But whether we like it or not we are tied to oil and gas, only when its tide rises, other boats can float.

Well, you are either mischaracterising or plain lying about immigration. It is not wanton. Illegal Venezuelans have been welcomed to register and given temporary residence. All others when captured have been deported to the condemnation of many international groups. It is controlled to the best of our ability but the will for ppl to flee Venezuela is greater than our ability to stop it and ppl still arrive illegally, just like in the US and Europe.

If you are saying that there exists some govt that can grow our economy during low oil and prices, a pandemic and completely lockdown the border with Venezuela, then you are selling pipedreams. So come with solutions to our problems, not just complaints.

sam1978
Riding on 16's

Postby sam1978 » April 20th, 2021, 5:43 pm

Let’s not bury our heads in the sand just to defend the indefensible. The migration IS wanton, 160000 are legally registered and nobody knows those that are not. They are coming in by loads everyday and without any effort being made to stop them. The police and customs act after the fact and they only catch a few. Some effort should be made to defend our borders against breaches like this. We have a maritime border , it’s not like they’re walking across land and entering between checkpoints and official crossings.

Fossil fuel is on its way out, shouldn't we start preparing for this like other countries? As little as it might be now? Or do we wait until it’s upon us?

Note, I never said anything like what you stated in your last paragraph, you said that. I’m saying it’s time to start doing something, however little and try to build our nation . People complaining , but a lot of them get salaries and not working for it and at the end of the day , the govt looks bad. I not about that .

I complain when I see wrongdoing , no matter who. The grass not being cut on the nations roads is just an example , but salaries never stopped running, but the govt gets blamed for doing nothing because they not enforcing as they should.

Kickstart
Riding on 16's

Postby Kickstart » April 20th, 2021, 6:06 pm

Habit7 wrote:
sam1978 wrote:

Comparing the migrant situation to when the population was 3000? It’s different now plus the economic situation were in doesn’t support illegal, wanton immigration. It has to be controlled both for numbers and to have a record who is here. We can’t sit and do nothing like what applies now. Don’t excuse it because our, mine and yours, govt isn’t doing what they’re supposed to be doing.

Things were done. We changed our taxation policy to the international oil companies and we restructured our national oil company, we were gaining access to cross border gas and we started production on shared border gas. All those things were to shore up our bread and butter oil and gas. Both World Bank and IMF forecasted increasing growth in 2019 and beyond. Then covid-19 came.
With diversification, govt tried to bring Sandals, Opposition proudly boasted that they scuttled that with bad press. La Brea shipbuilding yard is yet to start, that is solely govt's fault probably because of lack of funding from TT or China. But whether we like it or not we are tied to oil and gas, only when its tide rises, other boats can float.

Well, you are either mischaracterising or plain lying about immigration. It is not wanton. Illegal Venezuelans have been welcomed to register and given temporary residence. All others when captured have been deported to the condemnation of many international groups. It is controlled to the best of our ability but the will for ppl to flee Venezuela is greater than our ability to stop it and ppl still arrive illegally, just like in the US and Europe.

If you are saying that there exists some govt that can grow our economy during low oil and prices, a pandemic and completely lockdown the border with Venezuela, then you are selling pipedreams. So come with solutions to our problems, not just complaints.
PNM Plan A failed and plan B is no plan but more taxes with less services. Government is taking the agv Joe for a ride.

As MP imbert said " they haven't rioted yet"

Kickstart
Riding on 16's

Postby Kickstart » April 20th, 2021, 6:09 pm

elec2020 wrote:^ok aggravate
I have been reading your post for some time now and when you are challenged and can't respond your excuses is to reply with an "ok or noted" . That to me and I am sure others will see you as a coward.

Kickstart
Riding on 16's

Postby Kickstart » April 20th, 2021, 6:14 pm

Habit7 wrote:

No diversification.
Low forex supply.

The forex problems is a result of bad economic policies set out by the present government. It has nothing to do with oil & gas . We have been a gas based economy for some time now and not oil & gas.

Dohplaydat
punchin NOS

Postby Dohplaydat » April 20th, 2021, 6:21 pm

Kickstart wrote:
elec2020 wrote:^ok aggravate
I have been reading your post for some time now and when you are challenged and can't respond your excuses is to reply with an "ok or noted" . That to me and I am sure others will see you as a coward.

He's very smart bro, also an 'economist' lol

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”