Forums

Re: PNM in Gov't

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

hover11
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: Re: PNM in Gov't

Postby hover11 » May 28th, 2022, 5:31 pm

daxt0r wrote:similar to me?? i work in the private sector, this ent d land ah milk an honey, yuh work hard and collect yuh due pay at the end of the month. Increases, comission and bonuses are merit based as it should be and not because of some dumb collective agreement.
Survive and scrape by like all the rest of us folks who work for much less and have to perform or is immediate termination, and those who aren't fortunate to have permanent designation and its benefits as yourself, those who if they sick and still have to work or one day home means is termination, those who do get a dime in compensation like the divers if they get injured/die.

I agree with you that its a bad move for the economy but still has the benefit i guess of *going green* even if its in name only and for them an dey big boy pandas to bring in some high end EVs lol.

what is the benefit though of paying more money to those public servants that are already ineffcient and grossly underperform even if there are some are small handful diligent at their job like yourself? And this would be a recurrent expenditure unlike a tax waiver that the minister can cancel at any time.
So the public must give a bonus to:
1) The license officers who gives ah ticket in badmind and always moving slow when yuh trying to do a simple task
2) The police officers who does gives FULs to dey panda, and kill d fellas dat eh operating under dem or the criminal friends cartel. Or those officers who refuse to take reports and can only gang up and look bad to come to pick up the child/woman lifeless body after the fact.
3) The nurse an doctors who does watch people mother and father laying down on d ground in the waiting room groaning an say it coffee break time. or those who don't have time to see you at the hospital but can slip you a card to come in their private practice.
4) The IRD folks who does watch yuh in yuh eye when you waiting line long till outside ppl getting wet in the rain and dey will just sit dey like a pomyone until somebody start to jacka$$ up d scene.

Regardless, if this massive increase is paid, a greater rate of inflation will set in due to the fact that the public service does not contribute productively in economic terms, thus rendering the increased salaries to be just a dollar figure increase while those who work in the private sector will still be on the same meagre salary with no benefits remaining to suffer more with less purchasing power.

Here's a solution to take to the unions that i believe can work, allow the government to retrench with no benefits 30% of the workers in each respective service and increase the pay by 15% for the remaining workers. The increase could be potentially be more as lots of unnecessary high positions are created for poliitical appointees and friends and those positions get the higher pay so it would be more to spread around if they are removed. Or is it that value for money and the public service cannot coincide?
Dax

I understand where you coming from with regards to productivity, however, that is a management issue and the government is the employer who is not disciplining their employees that really stems from management and bureaucracy. Lemme ask you a follow up question , you outlined alot of public servants and their shortcomings ,however, I did not see you mention politicians who are the highest paid public servants who do less than desired. Their salaries were increased with no objection and little public discontent. How are we ok with them yet we have an issue with the workers? What is good for the goose must be good for the gander.

MaxPower
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby MaxPower » May 28th, 2022, 5:42 pm

Productivity is a culture issue.

i_code_and_stuff
Street 2NR

Postby i_code_and_stuff » May 28th, 2022, 7:44 pm

if anything, i think this issue highlights that most of the public sector/union bodies are filled with entitled people who wish to complain, but cannot offer viable alternatives to the situation when prompted to do so (see response by JTUM leaders), simply because they do not understand numbers and mathematics. This is also why refusing the OWTU bid for the refinery was a wise move

they cite "inflation" as a justification for significant wage increases, but don't understand the extremely simple concept that you cannot significantly increase the wages of the largest workforce in a society, as a response to inflation, as all that does is further accelerate inflation like a snowball effect. every developed country in the world knows this, but smooth brain, lazy, gullible trinis want to pretend otherwise :lol:

daxt0r
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby daxt0r » May 28th, 2022, 7:52 pm

hover11 wrote:
daxt0r wrote:similar to me?? i work in the private sector, this ent d land ah milk an honey, yuh work hard and collect yuh due pay at the end of the month. Increases, comission and bonuses are merit based as it should be and not because of some dumb collective agreement.
Survive and scrape by like all the rest of us folks who work for much less and have to perform or is immediate termination, and those who aren't fortunate to have permanent designation and its benefits as yourself, those who if they sick and still have to work or one day home means is termination, those who do get a dime in compensation like the divers if they get injured/die.

I agree with you that its a bad move for the economy but still has the benefit i guess of *going green* even if its in name only and for them an dey big boy pandas to bring in some high end EVs lol.

what is the benefit though of paying more money to those public servants that are already ineffcient and grossly underperform even if there are some are small handful diligent at their job like yourself? And this would be a recurrent expenditure unlike a tax waiver that the minister can cancel at any time.
1) The license officers who gives ah ticket in badmind and always moving slow when yuh trying to do a simple task
2) The police officers who does gives FULs to dey panda, and kill d fellas dat eh operating under dem or the criminal friends cartel. Or those officers who refuse to take reports and can only gang up and look bad to come to pick up the child/woman lifeless body after the fact.
3) The nurse an doctors who does watch people mother and father laying down on d ground in the waiting room groaning an say it coffee break time. or those who don't have time to see you at the hospital but can slip you a card to come in their private practice.
4) The IRD folks who does watch yuh in yuh eye when you waiting line long till outside ppl getting wet in the rain and dey will just sit dey like a pomyone until somebody start to jacka$$ up d scene.

Regardless, if this massive increase is paid, a greater rate of inflation will set in due to the fact that the public service does not contribute productively in economic terms, thus rendering the increased salaries to be just a dollar figure increase while those who work in the private sector will still be on the same meagre salary with no benefits remaining to suffer more with less purchasing power.

Here's a solution to take to the unions that i believe can work, allow the government to retrench with no benefits 30% of the workers in each respective service and increase the pay by 15% for the remaining workers. The increase could be potentially be more as lots of unnecessary high positions are created for poliitical appointees and friends and those positions get the higher pay so it would be more to spread around if they are removed. Or is it that value for money and the public service cannot coincide?
Dax

I understand where you coming from with regards to productivity, however, that is a management issue and the government is the employer who is not disciplining their employees that really stems from management and bureaucracy. Lemme ask you a follow up question , you outlined alot of public servants and their shortcomings ,however, I did not see you mention politicians who are the highest paid public servants who do less than desired. Their salaries were increased with no objection and little public discontent. How are we ok with them yet we have an issue with the workers? What is good for the goose must be good for the gander.

Well boy if you ever followed my posts you would realize i absolutely despise everything PNM and the legacy of the gimme-gimme culture and illegal immigrants they brought into voter pad and rape/rob/kill the nation so i'm definetely as disgusted as you and your coworkers about that but in the private sector we can't afford to go just protest lest we give up pay days, possible termination etc.
If you ask me get rid of them all, make GG executive president, let's get sum FULs dished out to all PAYE/NIS contributors and then lets go squash cockroaches Duterte style starting in all PNM strongholds. Ah know GG is chit but at least he have the balls an he might have he better friend dem in high places but hopefully he arrogance go at least help we rid the country of some leeches even if is to protect he big mouth. :D

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby timelapse » May 28th, 2022, 7:55 pm

daxt0r wrote:
hover11 wrote:

Dax

Well boy if you ever followed my posts you would realize i absolutely despise everything PNM and the legacy of the gimme-gimme culture and illegal immigrants they brought into voter pad and rape/rob/kill the nation so i'm definetely as disgusted as you and your coworkers about that but in the private sector we can't afford to go just protest lest we give up pay days, possible termination etc.
If you ask me get rid of them all, make GG executive president, let's get sum FULs dished out to all PAYE/NIS contributors and then lets go squash cockroaches Duterte style starting in all PNM strongholds. Ah know GG is chit but at least he have the balls an he might have he better friend dem in high places but hopefully he arrogance go at least help we rid the country of some leeches even if is to protect he big mouth. :D
A kindred spirit yes.Let the roaches hit the floor yes.

wing
Riding on 18's

Postby wing » May 29th, 2022, 12:36 am

Bribes and illegal transactions with social grants
by

15 hours ago
Sun May 29 2022

Minister of Sociial Development and Family Services Donna Cox

NISOLE DRAYTON

ADVERTISEMENT

Powered by
SHALIZA HASSANALI

The Ministry of Social Development and Family Services is haemorrhaging millions of dollars in an apparent scheme being operated by some employees who are said to be receiving huge kickbacks and bribes to fast-track social grants applications that have been stuck in the system for months.

This was revealed by Donna Cox, Minister of Social Development and Family Services, days after the 2021 Auditor General’s Report exposed inconsistencies and irregularities that have resulted in state grants meant to assist the needy and vulnerable going into the wrong hands.

The report showed that people as young as 27 are collecting senior citizen pensions, food card beneficiaries obtaining double payments, pertinent information for the processing of grants missing from the ministry’s database, and a payout of $886,350 to 61 beneficiaries whose national IDs did not correspond with their date of birth and four centenarians between the ages 114 to 135 appearing on the system.

In an interview at her St Vincent Street, Port-of-Spain office on Friday, Cox said before the report was made public, her ministry had requested an audit after problems were encountered with the processing of grants. It is now the subject of an investigation by the T&T Police Service and an Investigation and Compliance Unit (ICU) was recently established to “ensure there is no attempt internally and externally to defraud the ministry in the grant payments.”

The ICU comprises 11 investigators, compliance officers, cybercrime experts, quality assurance officers, financial analysts and attorneys.

While many of the alarming issues stemmed from human error, lack of due diligence, checks and balances and accountability on the ministry’s end, Cox said measures have already been put in place to address the troubling issue. She admitted the ministry has also been operating with an old data system that was riddled with flaws, risks and gaps which some people were aware of.

Most of the inconsistencies discovered by the Auditor General are associated with data loaded before October 2019, Cox said.

“It is clear it is a mixture of human error and corruption. I am not here to make any excuses, many of these errors seem to be human errors associated with inputting the data, but there are others which seem to suggest that there may be illegal transactions within the system. I use the word corruption because there is corruption. There is an element of corruption. It is not just human error,” she said.

“This is very disturbing because they remind us of the gaps in the system that can be exploited by the criminal element and which we need to close as a matter of urgency.”

One area of corruption discovered was cheques issued to dead people being cashed. These cheques were returned to the ministry by the families of the dead clients.

“And some of that was taking place . . . it could not have been external persons. It must have been persons internally. The ministry has not been doing what is supposed to do. I can’t only blame the people. There are some vulnerable people who should be on the system and are not on.”

Cox said such encashments amounted to fraud and corruption and the ministry has put in a place a Reconciliation Unit to deal with such cheques.

On the matter of 27-year-olds qualifying for Senior Citizens’ Pension (SCP) grants, Cox said this was attributed to human error and is under investigation.

“The 21 persons who are below pensionable age and are receiving the SCP grants are being investigated by the ICU. You have to understand because of the flaws in the system and problems with the processing and so on persons would find ways to beat the system. These people will have to suffer the consequences of their actions based on the outcome of these investigations.”

The minister was unable to confirm exactly how much money the ministry was defrauded but said the police will treat with those fraudulent matters “from what may possibly be organised crime.” She said such gaps “can be exploited by criminal elements.”

Asked if there was an organised ring within her ministry with the distribution of grants, Cox said: “I cannot totally confirm it but there are a lot of elements pointing to that. There could be.”

It was also found that grants were given to undeserving people. Cox admitted this was not a new development.

“It’s like a criminal enterprise entrenched. This is a number of years. It is not now.”

She said this bothers her to no end and causes her sleepless nights.

“In the ministry, there are supervisors at every level and we feel that people weren’t being supervised properly.”

Action is now being taken against delinquent supervisors for failing to act against wrongdoers, while some employees have left the job. In going forward, Cox said staff must be trained and retrained.

“It is very difficult to pinpoint anyone based on how the process was lax, as to who did what. These are things that have been happening for a while. It’s a culture. Persons would know how to cover up, persons would know how to not say certain things,” she said.

Files of clients who have been beneficiaries of more than one grant have also mysteriously disappeared.

“I don’t know if that was deliberately done so that you would not be able to pinpoint certain persons,” Cox said.

“We have also had instances where there is a query . . . a file goes missing, so who is to be held accountable because that file might contain the information as to the person who may be such as the caseworker or the person who might have been the first point of contact for someone who comes into the office.”

As the ministry undertakes a “clean up exercise” they have also implemented a data verification system which is being integrated into a modern digitised system. The TTPS has conducted interviews with some staff members who have been uncooperative, Cox said.

The minister said she has received information that clients who have been waiting months for their social services grants were approached by staff members who promised to fast-track their applications for kickbacks and bribes. Some clients receive retroactive payments of over $100,000.

“You meet people and they just talk. I have seen people allude to it on Facebook and mentioned that we need to look at certain areas because there are people who are taking bribes or there are people who are asking for money so they can fast track the applications,” she said.

In another explosive and shocking revelation, Cox said they suspect “as much as 5,000 persons” living abroad are receiving SCP and other grants. There are 104,000 SCP recipients each of whom receives a $3,500 monthly payment.

She estimated the monthly payout to the 5,000 beneficiaries at “$50 million that we may be losing based on that.” The ministry distributes more than $4 billion in grants annually.

Cox said the ministry will soon sign an MOU with Immigration Division to put an end to these illegal transactions.

She said people have been receiving the grants because of a worker turning a blind eye or people flying into the country on the anniversary of their birthdays which is the time the ministry would request a follow-up interview.

“So, many people may not come forward now. The word is out that when you come into us, we are now asking for your passport information again. So, we have started doing that to help cut the cost down to reduce the burden placed on taxpayers. When we sign that MOU we will have access to anyone who we have a suspicion on… that we can ask for the information from Immigration Division as to their travel pattern. Once we confirm this we will take them off the system or decide if they will be prosecuted.”

Cox said, she recently found out that someone who has been receiving a disability grant has been living abroad for the past four years.

“This is one case which a family member reported. A number of people receiving disabilities are gainfully employed. The ministry also has to take some responsibility for that because we are supposed to conduct an investigation into these recipients every six months which we have not been doing.

“It is clear people are stealing from the poor and whether it is persons who are staff members or persons on the outside I want the law to take its course. I would like to see them brought to justice,” the minister said.

hover11
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby hover11 » May 29th, 2022, 4:46 am

wing wrote:Bribes and illegal transactions with social grants
by

15 hours ago
Sun May 29 2022

Minister of Sociial Development and Family Services Donna Cox

NISOLE DRAYTON

ADVERTISEMENT

Powered by
SHALIZA HASSANALI

The Ministry of Social Development and Family Services is haemorrhaging millions of dollars in an apparent scheme being operated by some employees who are said to be receiving huge kickbacks and bribes to fast-track social grants applications that have been stuck in the system for months.

This was revealed by Donna Cox, Minister of Social Development and Family Services, days after the 2021 Auditor General’s Report exposed inconsistencies and irregularities that have resulted in state grants meant to assist the needy and vulnerable going into the wrong hands.

The report showed that people as young as 27 are collecting senior citizen pensions, food card beneficiaries obtaining double payments, pertinent information for the processing of grants missing from the ministry’s database, and a payout of $886,350 to 61 beneficiaries whose national IDs did not correspond with their date of birth and four centenarians between the ages 114 to 135 appearing on the system.

In an interview at her St Vincent Street, Port-of-Spain office on Friday, Cox said before the report was made public, her ministry had requested an audit after problems were encountered with the processing of grants. It is now the subject of an investigation by the T&T Police Service and an Investigation and Compliance Unit (ICU) was recently established to “ensure there is no attempt internally and externally to defraud the ministry in the grant payments.”

The ICU comprises 11 investigators, compliance officers, cybercrime experts, quality assurance officers, financial analysts and attorneys.

While many of the alarming issues stemmed from human error, lack of due diligence, checks and balances and accountability on the ministry’s end, Cox said measures have already been put in place to address the troubling issue. She admitted the ministry has also been operating with an old data system that was riddled with flaws, risks and gaps which some people were aware of.

Most of the inconsistencies discovered by the Auditor General are associated with data loaded before October 2019, Cox said.

“It is clear it is a mixture of human error and corruption. I am not here to make any excuses, many of these errors seem to be human errors associated with inputting the data, but there are others which seem to suggest that there may be illegal transactions within the system. I use the word corruption because there is corruption. There is an element of corruption. It is not just human error,” she said.

“This is very disturbing because they remind us of the gaps in the system that can be exploited by the criminal element and which we need to close as a matter of urgency.”

One area of corruption discovered was cheques issued to dead people being cashed. These cheques were returned to the ministry by the families of the dead clients.

“And some of that was taking place . . . it could not have been external persons. It must have been persons internally. The ministry has not been doing what is supposed to do. I can’t only blame the people. There are some vulnerable people who should be on the system and are not on.”

Cox said such encashments amounted to fraud and corruption and the ministry has put in a place a Reconciliation Unit to deal with such cheques.

On the matter of 27-year-olds qualifying for Senior Citizens’ Pension (SCP) grants, Cox said this was attributed to human error and is under investigation.

“The 21 persons who are below pensionable age and are receiving the SCP grants are being investigated by the ICU. You have to understand because of the flaws in the system and problems with the processing and so on persons would find ways to beat the system. These people will have to suffer the consequences of their actions based on the outcome of these investigations.”

The minister was unable to confirm exactly how much money the ministry was defrauded but said the police will treat with those fraudulent matters “from what may possibly be organised crime.” She said such gaps “can be exploited by criminal elements.”

Asked if there was an organised ring within her ministry with the distribution of grants, Cox said: “I cannot totally confirm it but there are a lot of elements pointing to that. There could be.”

It was also found that grants were given to undeserving people. Cox admitted this was not a new development.

“It’s like a criminal enterprise entrenched. This is a number of years. It is not now.”

She said this bothers her to no end and causes her sleepless nights.

“In the ministry, there are supervisors at every level and we feel that people weren’t being supervised properly.”

Action is now being taken against delinquent supervisors for failing to act against wrongdoers, while some employees have left the job. In going forward, Cox said staff must be trained and retrained.

“It is very difficult to pinpoint anyone based on how the process was lax, as to who did what. These are things that have been happening for a while. It’s a culture. Persons would know how to cover up, persons would know how to not say certain things,” she said.

Files of clients who have been beneficiaries of more than one grant have also mysteriously disappeared.

“I don’t know if that was deliberately done so that you would not be able to pinpoint certain persons,” Cox said.

“We have also had instances where there is a query . . . a file goes missing, so who is to be held accountable because that file might contain the information as to the person who may be such as the caseworker or the person who might have been the first point of contact for someone who comes into the office.”

As the ministry undertakes a “clean up exercise” they have also implemented a data verification system which is being integrated into a modern digitised system. The TTPS has conducted interviews with some staff members who have been uncooperative, Cox said.

The minister said she has received information that clients who have been waiting months for their social services grants were approached by staff members who promised to fast-track their applications for kickbacks and bribes. Some clients receive retroactive payments of over $100,000.

“You meet people and they just talk. I have seen people allude to it on Facebook and mentioned that we need to look at certain areas because there are people who are taking bribes or there are people who are asking for money so they can fast track the applications,” she said.

In another explosive and shocking revelation, Cox said they suspect “as much as 5,000 persons” living abroad are receiving SCP and other grants. There are 104,000 SCP recipients each of whom receives a $3,500 monthly payment.

She estimated the monthly payout to the 5,000 beneficiaries at “$50 million that we may be losing based on that.” The ministry distributes more than $4 billion in grants annually.

Cox said the ministry will soon sign an MOU with Immigration Division to put an end to these illegal transactions.

She said people have been receiving the grants because of a worker turning a blind eye or people flying into the country on the anniversary of their birthdays which is the time the ministry would request a follow-up interview.

“So, many people may not come forward now. The word is out that when you come into us, we are now asking for your passport information again. So, we have started doing that to help cut the cost down to reduce the burden placed on taxpayers. When we sign that MOU we will have access to anyone who we have a suspicion on… that we can ask for the information from Immigration Division as to their travel pattern. Once we confirm this we will take them off the system or decide if they will be prosecuted.”

Cox said, she recently found out that someone who has been receiving a disability grant has been living abroad for the past four years.

“This is one case which a family member reported. A number of people receiving disabilities are gainfully employed. The ministry also has to take some responsibility for that because we are supposed to conduct an investigation into these recipients every six months which we have not been doing.

“It is clear people are stealing from the poor and whether it is persons who are staff members or persons on the outside I want the law to take its course. I would like to see them brought to justice,” the minister said.
Social welfare need to revamp or cut period, too much money leaking out and saw no benefit with this country having two pensions. Then again politics will always come into play

wing
Riding on 18's

Postby wing » May 29th, 2022, 4:52 am

Heritage Petroleum records gross profit of $2.4 billion
by

Joel Julien
20 hours ago
Sat May 28 2022

Heritage Petroleum

RISHI RAGOONATH