Forums

Re: PNM in Gov't

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Dohplaydat
punchin NOS

Re: Re: PNM in Gov't

Postby Dohplaydat » April 19th, 2021, 12:48 pm

Habit7 wrote:The issue is not which political party in power because it seems that ppl have "short memories" to realise that the same Moruga road had potholes and landslides under past govts.

Firstly, the soil type south of the central range is prone to landslides so you could pave until the cows come home and there will still be landslides

Secondly, in other countries, they have a tax regime to finance the fixing of roads. In TT we mostly depend on taxes from O&G to do everything. Despite popular opinion, TT taxes are very low, one of the lowest in the region. As O&G revenues are becoming less dependable, we need to have a new method of financing road maintenance among other things. But we are in a culture where ppl don't want to pay more taxes and they still want to receive high subsidies.

Until a govt can develop a way of financing efficient road maintenance, we are in the same monkey pants, PNM or UNC.

So property tax is the solution?

Kickstart
Riding on 16's

Postby Kickstart » April 19th, 2021, 12:59 pm

Habit7 wrote:The issue is not which political party in power because it seems that ppl have "short memories" to realise that the same Moruga road had potholes and landslides under past govts.

Firstly, the soil type south of the central range is prone to landslides so you could pave until the cows come home and there will still be landslides

Secondly, in other countries, they have a tax regime to finance the fixing of roads. In TT we mostly depend on taxes from O&G to do everything. Despite popular opinion, TT taxes are very low, one of the lowest in the region. As O&G revenues are becoming less dependable, we need to have a new method of financing road maintenance among other things. But we are in a culture where ppl don't want to pay more taxes and they still want to receive high subsidies.

Until a govt can develop a way of financing efficient road maintenance, we are in the same monkey pants, PNM or UNC.
I disagree, I use to live St Mary's and it was only when UNC came in to power they did a massive amount of work to repair landslips that has plagued the Moruga main road. When the present government came back in it was back to how it was with no maintenance or repair As for road taxes the Moruga road is a MAIN road and it should not depend on local government for repairs . Secondary roads I can understand that those should fall under local government . Again why are we paying house taxes if our Secondary roads are not repaired. I just don't understand how much more taxes we should bare to be wasted. The government does not account for the tax money they spend. It is off little of no services and repairs. Why must be wait to see roads repairs a month or two before elections. Why must we keep comparing to what the other carribean counties pay in taxes? Those countries are not fully developed. If anything we should be comparing ourselves to Singapore and not corrupted carribean counties.

Habit7
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Habit7 » April 19th, 2021, 1:08 pm

Kickstart wrote:

I disagree, I use to live St Mary's and it was only when UNC came in to power they did a massive amount of work to repair landslips that has plagued the Moruga main road. When the present government came back in it was back to how it was with no maintenance or repair As for road taxes the Moruga road is a MAIN road and it should not depend on local government for repairs . Secondary roads I can understand that those should fall under local government . Again why are we paying house taxes if our Secondary roads are not repaired. I just don't understand how much more taxes we should bare to be wasted. The government does not account for the tax money they spend. It is off little of no services and repairs. Why must be wait to see roads repairs a month or two before elections. Why must we keep comparing to what the other carribean counties pay in taxes? Those countries are not fully developed. If anything we should be comparing ourselves to Singapore and not corrupted carribean counties.

There has been maintenance, even the UNC MP admitted it in the article, it just was not completed.
We have not paid "house tax" since 2009
There are several Caribbean countries with similar development to TT, you need to actually visit them for yourself. And by region, I meant Latin America too.
If you want Singapore, then pay 2-3x the price of car compared to TT, then you will have smooth roads like them because that is what their taxes require.

elec2020
12 pounds of Boost

Postby elec2020 » April 19th, 2021, 1:08 pm

i think the issue is that we have outgrown pnm and unc and we need a new forward thinking government that is not afraid to do what needs to be done to get us back on track. even if that risks them losing the next GE. that is what we need. but will not get till its way toooo late

Habit7
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Habit7 » April 19th, 2021, 1:32 pm

elec2020 wrote:

i think the issue is that we have outgrown pnm and unc and we need a new forward thinking government that is not afraid to do what needs to be done to get us back on track. even if that risks them losing the next GE. that is what we need. but will not get till its way toooo late

We did that in 1986. Gave PNM the worst licks ever. NAR had a cadre of technocrats and professionals. But what they didn't have a loyal base that would trust them to implement the changes that needed to be done. So it was easy for their ardent supporters to go against them when they implemented VAT and cancelled COLA.

Our democracy is not much different from others around the globe. We are a two-party system with smaller parties. It makes no sense waiting for somebody else to come along. They will either be some kinda rebranded UNC because, for all the faults of PNM, they are stable and least likely to fall apart.

SuperiorMan
punchin NOS

Postby SuperiorMan » April 19th, 2021, 1:34 pm

Tuner Friends,

When do you all think UNC will win again?

widdyphuck
18 pounds of Boost

Postby widdyphuck » April 19th, 2021, 1:43 pm

SuperiorMan wrote:Tuner Friends,

Win to do what? Fix all the PNM mess being created right now?
This country in sh!t right now. Saw two stores moving out from a mall in sando today because they can't make the rent.

SuperiorMan
punchin NOS

Postby SuperiorMan » April 19th, 2021, 1:47 pm

wtf wrote:

This country in sh!t right now. Saw two stores moving out from a mall in sando today because they can't make the rent.

wtf, do you think things would get better if UNC wins?

which mall? gulf city?

elec2020
12 pounds of Boost

Postby elec2020 » April 19th, 2021, 1:53 pm

Habit7 wrote:
elec2020 wrote:

We did that in 1986. Gave PNM the worst licks ever. NAR had a cadre of technocrats and professionals. But what they didn't have a loyal base that would trust them to implement the changes that needed to be done. So it was easy for their ardent supporters to go against them when they implemented VAT and cancelled COLA.

Our democracy is not much different from others around the globe. We are a two-party system with smaller parties. It makes no sense waiting for somebody else to come along. They will either be some kinda rebranded UNC because, for all the faults of PNM, they are stable and least likely to fall apart.

NAR came in also when we had to make very tough economic decisions. decisions that laid the foundation for a buoyant period of growth in the 1990s. but people didn't understand that that is what was needed then. they may not understand that again when we need to do so in the near-to medium-term.

Habit7
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Habit7 » April 19th, 2021, 2:07 pm

SuperiorMan wrote:
wtf wrote:

which mall? gulf city?

Malls were suffering before covid. has nothing to do with PNM or UNC. It is an international trend as retail goes more online and less brick and mortar stores.

But if that is too complicated for you, just say blame Rowley.

SuperiorMan
punchin NOS

Postby SuperiorMan » April 19th, 2021, 2:15 pm

Habit7 wrote:
SuperiorMan wrote:
wtf wrote:

which mall? gulf city?

Malls were suffering before covid. has nothing to do with PNM or UNC. It is an international trend as retail goes more online and less brick and mortar stores.

This is logical and makes sense.

Kickstart
Riding on 16's

Postby Kickstart » April 19th, 2021, 2:17 pm

Habit7 wrote:
SuperiorMan wrote:
wtf wrote:

which mall? gulf city?

But you stated that malls are filled as with price mart. Why change your story now?

Kickstart
Riding on 16's

Postby Kickstart » April 19th, 2021, 2:31 pm

Habit7 wrote:
Kickstart wrote:

There has been maintenance, even the UNC MP admitted it in the article, it just was not completed.
We have not paid "house tax" since 2009
There are several Caribbean countries with similar development to TT, you need to actually visit them for yourself. And by region, I meant Latin America too.
If you want Singapore, then pay 2-3x the price of car compared to TT, then you will have smooth roads like them because that is what their taxes require.
I don't mind paying higher taxes if I get the services for it. I pay taxes and I don't see where the money goes. We are not getting value for our taxes paid. Nothing is accountable for our taxes, all we told is to pay more and we haven't protested yet as MP Imbert said. I think his statement is a great disrespect for tax payers and playing games.

Habit7
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Habit7 » April 19th, 2021, 2:32 pm

Kickstart wrote:But you stated that malls are filled as with price mart. Why change your story now?

Context.

I was responding to someone who was saying that South Trinidad economy was destroyed by the closure of the refinery. And coming out of Christmas I said the groceries and the malls were filled in South. But retail is one of the several things you can do in malls, that is declining. PNM or UNC can't change that.

Kickstart wrote:I don't mind paying higher taxes if I get the services for it. I pay taxes and I don't see where the money goes. We are not getting value for our taxes paid. Nothing is accountable for our taxes, all we told is to pay more and we haven't protested yet as MP Imbert said. I think his statement is a great disrespect for tax payers and playing games.

Your little taxes are going into your subsidised utilities (water, electricity), your garbage collection, ferry transport, free healthcare, free education, free highways and many other things. If you don't see where it is going that is subjective. MoF publishes expenditure reports and the Auditor General points out the wastes and inconsistencies.

Nevertheless, you still pay one of the lowest taxes in Latin American and the Caribbean, don't expect Canada level service.

Kickstart
Riding on 16's

Postby Kickstart » April 19th, 2021, 8:10 pm

Habit7 wrote:
Kickstart wrote:But you stated that malls are filled as with price mart. Why change your story now?

Context.

I was responding to someone who was saying that South Trinidad economy was destroyed by the closure of the refinery. And coming out of Christmas I said the groceries and the malls were filled in South. But retail is one of the several things you can do in malls, that is declining. PNM or UNC can't change that.

Kickstart wrote:I don't mind paying higher taxes if I get the services for it. I pay taxes and I don't see where the money goes. We are not getting value for our taxes paid. Nothing is accountable for our taxes, all we told is to pay more and we haven't protested yet as MP Imbert said. I think his statement is a great disrespect for tax payers and playing games.

Your little taxes are going into your subsidised utilities (water, electricity), your garbage collection, ferry transport, free healthcare, free education, free highways and many other things. If you don't see where it is going that is subjective. MoF publishes expenditure reports and the Auditor General points out the wastes and inconsistencies.

Nevertheless, you still pay one of the lowest taxes in Latin American and the Caribbean, don't expect Canada level service.
Epic back pedal

The_Honourable
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby The_Honourable » April 19th, 2021, 9:41 pm

It's normal in democracies for governments to change so to answer your question, yes they will.

In it's current form? No. UNC was on a loosing streak with Panday since 2002 and once he was removed, UNC won (in a partnership). Kamla is in the same position now as Panday in the 2000s... loss after loss and not leaving while the supporters are not seeing anybody else beyond the current leader.

PNM doing chit and most of the population don't respect Rowley but UNC still have the stains of their 2010-2015 governance whether it was real for example SIS or fake, like emailgate.

SuperiorMan
punchin NOS

Postby SuperiorMan » April 19th, 2021, 10:16 pm

The_Honourable wrote:

It's normal in democracies for governments to change so to answer your question, yes they will.

In it's current form? No. UNC was on a loosing streak with Panday since 2002 and once he was removed, UNC won (in a partnership). Kamla is in the same position now as Panday in the 2000s... loss after loss and not leaving while the supporters are not seeing anybody else beyond the current leader.

PNM doing chit and most of the population don't respect Rowley but UNC still have the stains of their 2010-2015 governance whether it was real for example SIS or fake, like emailgate.

Thanks for your response The_Honourable.

I was asking when you think they will win again....do you think the next election once they get rid of Kamla?

Habit7
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Habit7 » April 19th, 2021, 10:27 pm

Kickstart wrote:Epic back pedal

No, let me make it simple for you.

Me pointing to one mall at one time doesn't counter the universal trend of malls declining because of online shopping. If tomorrow C3 Movie Towne is full because ppl come to watch Mortal Kombat, that does not mean the cinemas are not declining during covid-19.

The_Honourable
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby The_Honourable » April 19th, 2021, 10:43 pm

SuperiorMan wrote:
The_Honourable wrote:

I was asking when you think they will win again....do you think the next election once they get rid of Kamla?

It depends on who takes over as political leader. Keep in mind too that this is Rowley's last run so it will also depend on who would be the new political leader of the PNM.

Kickstart
Riding on 16's

Postby Kickstart » April 19th, 2021, 11:32 pm

Habit7 wrote:

Me pointing to one mall at one time doesn't counter the universal trend of malls declining because of online shopping. If tomorrow C3 Movie Towne is full because ppl come to watch Mortal Kombat, that does not mean the cinemas are not declining during covid-19.
The economy is not stimulated , people are not spending and it is not due to
Covid. The measures put in place by the government is not working both in forex and the local economy.

shake d livin wake d dead
TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » April 20th, 2021, 5:40 am

SuperiorMan wrote:
The_Honourable wrote:

They will win when
Kamla
Roodal
Wade
Rudy
Kadija
Lee

Throw deh frame....when that gonna happen...no1 knows

Redman
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Redman » April 20th, 2021, 7:03 am

They will win when the frigging grow up and convince is that they serious.

Present policy, treat the people's business seriously...not like the short term points system it is now.

Ent we have short term memory?...
If that is true it can't be that hard

shake d livin wake d dead
TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » April 20th, 2021, 7:41 am

I like Penelope or Brown for new leader within the PNM. Might be a long shot...but shrugs shoulders

Redman
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Redman » April 20th, 2021, 7:59 am

Penny would be a popular choice, Brown not so much

Habit7
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Habit7 » April 20th, 2021, 8:00 am

Kickstart wrote:
Habit7 wrote:

Covid. The measures put in place by the government is not working both in forex and the local economy.

Ok economist.

I am sure you have a plan to revive mall shopping too.

Kickstart
Riding on 16's

Postby Kickstart » April 20th, 2021, 8:26 am

Habit7 wrote:
Kickstart wrote:
Habit7 wrote:

Ok economist.

Lets see a tax was placed on online shopping because

i. of forex
ii. local powerful businessmen complained that online shopping affecting their sales.

so these measures are put in place but what has that caused ? and dont blame Covid as this was way before Covid.
The economy is not looking good and the measures in place is not working. People are just not spending

Habit7
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Habit7 » April 20th, 2021, 8:46 am

Kickstart wrote:

i. of forex
ii. local powerful businessmen complained that online shopping affecting their sales.

so these measures are put in place but what has that caused ? and dont blame Covid as this was way before Covid.
The economy is not looking good and the measures in place is not working. People are just not spending

This was before covid https://oxfordbusinessgroup.com/news/wh ... -forecasts

As I pointed out before on some other lament thread, the TT economy was projected for growth, not by Imbert, but by independent international financial observers, or as some like to call them PNM.

Of course the economy is not looking good now because of covid. But 8mths ago we had a choice in who we wanted to carry us through the storm and the majority of ppl choose PNM again. So things are not going to turn around in a day, stop whining and lamenting and just deal with what T&T and the majority of world countries are facing right now.

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » April 20th, 2021, 10:04 am

Kickstart wrote:
Habit7 wrote:
Kickstart wrote:
Habit7 wrote:

Ok economist.

i. of forex

Kickstart
Riding on 16's

Postby Kickstart » April 20th, 2021, 11:18 am

Habit7 wrote:
Kickstart wrote:

i. of forex

As I pointed out before on some other lament thread, the TT economy was projected for growth, not by Imbert, but by independent international financial observers, or as some like to call them PNM.

Of course the economy is not looking good now because of covid. But 8mths ago we had a choice in who we wanted to carry us through the storm and the majority of ppl choose PNM again. So things are not going to turn around in a day, stop whining and lamenting and just deal with what T&T and the majority of world countries are facing right now.
For the last time the cause of this bad economy is not due to covid. It is the policies put in place by the government. They are shifting the blame on covid when in fact its their own policies , taxation and lost of job that is the root cause

As MP imbert said" they have not rioted yet" these are the new measures that they put out on test.

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » April 20th, 2021, 11:21 am

Kickstart wrote:
Habit7 wrote:
Kickstart wrote:

i. of forex

For the last time the cause of this bad economy is not due to covid. It is the policies put in place by the government. They are shifting the blame on covid when in fact its their own policies , taxation and lost of job that is the root cause

As MP imbert said" they have not rioted yet" these are the new measures that they put out on test.

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”