TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

Issues with reopening Schools in T&T , Vaccines for Children etc

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Do you support a Shift System for all schools?

Yes
50%
No
50%

Total votes: 30

paid_influencer
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Issues with reopening Schools in T&T , Vaccines for Children etc

Postby paid_influencer » July 15th, 2020, 8:44 pm

Edit: New Update as on September 2021.

Ministry proposes in-person classes twice a week for most students (in September 2021)

With the exception of students in primary and secondary schools writing exams or those preparing to write examinations in a year or two, almost all other students would report to physical classrooms twice a week.

This was one of the major proposals found in the second draft guidelines for the reopening of schools issued to stakeholders by the Ministry of Education. The document was obtained by Guardian Media.

The other stand out proposal was that parents may be allowed to apply for their children to continue to rely solely on virtual classes when the phased reopening of schools commences, early next month.

According to the 57-page document, which was put forward following stakeholder consultations, last month, parents interested in the option must make requests and justify them to the principals of their children’s schools. Parents must guarantee that their children would have adequate home supervision during online classes and must show that they (the students) are equipped with digital devices and internet connectivity. Students’ performance in online classes over the past year would be considered, with 75 per cent previous attendance and no incidents of previous online indiscipline being pre-requisites. Teachers would also have to recommend such a course.

Ministry approval on a case by case basis would also be required.

The documents stated that Standard Four and Five students in Primary Schools and Forms Four to Six students in Secondary Schools would be required to return to school in September and October. Four Plus students at Early Childhood and Care Centres (ECCC) are also expected to begin classes during that period.

All other students of primary, secondary and ECCCs are expected to be brought out on a rotational basis from October with all being required to attend physical classes two days per week except Infants to Standard One students, who would be only required to attend school one day per week.

The document stated that all students over the age of eight would be mandated to wear masks whilst on the school compound, while students between the ages of three and eight should wear their masks as much as possible especially when having indoor activities.

Schools were authorised to operate within normal school hours, but were given the option to extend hours to assist students, who may have fallen behind due to lack of access to online classes.

https://www.guardian.co.tt/news/ministr ... 59dd79b2f6

------------------
Original post (from 2020):

Schools are scheduled to start September 1 with new guidlines, including a proposed shift system. What do you think? Answer the poll and comment below

If schools cannot follow covid19 safety guidelines with a full school population, a shift system will be put in place for the next academic year.

This was among guidelines in a Health Ministry document issued on Monday.

The cycle system proposed a 50 per cent student capacity, which will mean creating two groups for each class, who will go to school on alternate days.

“A school that has a five day timetable…will then have a ten-day cycle (and at) schools with a six-day cycle, a 12-day cycle will have to be done.”

The cycle will alternate the days each group (labelled A and B) attends classes.

The document said said while group A will continue classes on day one, group B can access online material at home. The next day will be day one for group B, while group A uses online material at home. The following day will be day two for group A, continuing the cycle.

“Should the physical distance requirements at any time be such that the capacity is further limited, an increased number of groups can be formed,” the guidelines suggested.

They also said a "blended learning" approach will also be implemented, so on days when students are home, the regular timetable can be followed. "Blended learning" refers to a mix of learning methods and media.

https://newsday.co.tt/2020/07/14/shift- ... september/
Last edited by paid_influencer on August 9th, 2021, 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

paid_influencer

Re: Shift system for schools from September

Postby paid_influencer » July 15th, 2020, 9:16 pm

I personally support the shift system for this academic year. Coronavirus is spreading like mad in Venezuela and nasty Trinis will bring it across here in a pirogue. We still need to take measures to stifle the spread locally.

I do not support the day on/day off shift system that the Minister of Education is using as an example. I think it is actually very stupid. I would propose a week on/week off system instead.

Most cases of coronavirus develop symptoms within 5 days of infection. The day on/day off system gives 1 day of group separation, which is not enough time to be effective.

I suggest we move to a weekly system for the following reasons:
(1) Saturday and Sunday would be natural "airing-out" period for the school compound between student groups.
(2) The week off allows possible asymptomatic cases to resolve on their own without exposing staff or other students.
(3) Staff would interact with only one group in a given week. This limits spread and also makes contact tracing much easier.

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » July 15th, 2020, 9:26 pm

Shift systems created more criminals with child muddas.

redmanjp
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby redmanjp » July 16th, 2020, 4:42 pm

so the group that is off still has to go online- are they giving all students laptops?

EFFECTIC DESIGNS
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby EFFECTIC DESIGNS » July 16th, 2020, 4:44 pm

zoom rader wrote:Shift systems created more criminals with child muddas.

This is true

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » July 16th, 2020, 6:48 pm

EFFECTIC DESIGNS wrote:

This is true
The gangsters we are facing today are a product of shift schools combined with PNM parentage

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » July 16th, 2020, 7:07 pm

the duration of time the students will be in the same locations, wrt each other, u will get the aerosols diffusing throughout the class rooms. all the sanitation, masks, face shields, 6 ft apart will be rendered useless, as the minutes drag on.

that is, if we had covid. we riot like wildebeest for 2 mc days, and no increase in deaths, cases, or even respiratory illnesses that was not categorized as covid.

Ted_v2
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Ted_v2 » July 16th, 2020, 7:09 pm

Thank god someone said it.

Kids need less idle time, not more.
Yall ever met a 16 year old kid in government schools? they fully dunce and cant take no stress at all, weak mindset.

wagonrunner
TriniTuner 24-7
Location: Distancing myself from those who want to raid the barn but eh want to plant the corn.

Postby wagonrunner » July 16th, 2020, 7:20 pm

redmanjp wrote:so the group that is off still has to go online- are they giving all students laptops?

before they get laptops, the students without electricity getting that or nah?

bluefete
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby bluefete » July 16th, 2020, 7:58 pm

We are going back to the future!

That shift system will be pure madness. Just wait for it.

Excellent points there.

wagonrunner wrote:
redmanjp wrote:so the group that is off still has to go online- are they giving all students laptops?

before they get laptops, the students without electricity getting that or nah?

ScHoolboySoloQ
Trinituner Peong

Postby ScHoolboySoloQ » July 16th, 2020, 8:18 pm

Ted_v2 wrote:Thank god someone said it.

Kids need less idle time, not more.
Yall ever met a 16 year old kid in government schools? they fully dunce and cant take no stress at all, weak mindset.

Very few come out well from government schools. I was put into a government school even when my SEA results were all above 95%. I did not even get my choices but my father said "let him go" then I ended up getting most of the end of term awards and took the awards for best in CSEC in my subjects. I got through to do CAPE in a college but I dropped out after lower 6 because of unforeseen circumstances.

I almost got into the "thug life" from just being in that environment in Form 1. It is very tough to not conform to something you are constantly exposed to. It is hard to shine in a government school as a male because it is deemed "weak" to not be a bad boy. You get a lot of hateful comments from other males and they try to physically harm you so you have to know how to defend yourself in those schools.

goalpost
punchin NOS

Postby goalpost » July 16th, 2020, 8:30 pm

Trinidad have covid? We borders open or something? Why tf we doing this? Let them go to school like normal.

screwbash
Riding on 18's

Postby screwbash » July 19th, 2020, 4:12 am

hazel brudda confuzed daz y yuh aint hear a clear directive yet. they expecting covid to get away an to lock dong d cuntry again to teif the election. but daz d neu normal so daz dat. nuttin cyah happen till dey get a vaccine. swine flue was created in 9 months so this is month 7 of covid.

Redman
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Redman » July 19th, 2020, 8:14 am

paid_influencer wrote:I personally support the shift system for this academic year. Coronavirus is spreading like mad in Venezuela and nasty Trinis will bring it across here in a pirogue. We still need to take measures to stifle the spread locally.

I do not support the day on/day off shift system that the Minister of Education is using as an example. I think it is actually very stupid. I would propose a week on/week off system instead.

Most cases of coronavirus develop symptoms within 5 days of infection. The day on/day off system gives 1 day of group separation, which is not enough time to be effective.

I suggest we move to a weekly system for the following reasons:
(1) Saturday and Sunday would be natural "airing-out" period for the school compound between student groups.
(2) The week off allows possible asymptomatic cases to resolve on their own without exposing staff or other students.
(3) Staff would interact with only one group in a given week. This limits spread and also makes contact tracing much easier.

I could support this.

Ben_spanna
punchin NOS

Postby Ben_spanna » July 20th, 2020, 7:51 am

zoom rader wrote:
EFFECTIC DESIGNS wrote:

This is true
The gangsters we are facing today are a product of shift schools combined with PNM parentage

I think its more a problem of population control.. people who cannot afford to maintain and look after children should not legally be allowed to have any.. that would stop alot of the upcoming future criminals in Trinidad... no more of this one woman having multiple children for multiple men with no money and no role model... dat done

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » August 9th, 2021, 9:08 pm

Ministry proposes in-person classes twice a week for most students (in September 2021)

With the exception of students in primary and secondary schools writing exams or those preparing to write examinations in a year or two, almost all other students would report to physical classrooms twice a week.

This was one of the major proposals found in the second draft guidelines for the reopening of schools issued to stakeholders by the Ministry of Education. The document was obtained by Guardian Media.

The other stand out proposal was that parents may be allowed to apply for their children to continue to rely solely on virtual classes when the phased reopening of schools commences, early next month. 

According to the 57-page document, which was put forward following stakeholder consultations, last month, parents interested in the option must make requests and justify them to the principals of their children’s schools. Parents must guarantee that their children would have adequate home supervision during online classes and must show that they (the students) are equipped with digital devices and internet connectivity. Students’ performance in online classes over the past year would be considered, with 75 per cent previous attendance and no incidents of previous online indiscipline being pre-requisites. Teachers would also have to recommend such a course. 

Ministry approval on a case by case basis would also be required. 

The documents stated that Standard Four and Five students in Primary Schools and Forms Four to Six students in Secondary Schools would be required to return to school in September and October. Four Plus students at Early Childhood and Care Centres (ECCC) are also expected to begin classes during that period. 

All other students of primary, secondary and ECCCs are expected to be brought out on a rotational basis from October with all being required to attend physical classes two days per week except Infants to Standard One students, who would be only required to attend school one day per week. 

The document stated that all students over the age of eight would be mandated to wear masks whilst on the school compound, while students between the ages of three and eight should wear their masks as much as possible especially when having indoor activities. 

Schools were authorised to operate within normal school hours, but were given the option to extend hours to assist students, who may have fallen behind due to lack of access to online classes. 

https://www.guardian.co.tt/news/ministr ... 59dd79b2f6

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » August 9th, 2021, 9:08 pm

MP Haynes questions hybrid learning for September school reopening

MP for Tabaquite Anita Haynes has questioned the Ministry of Education’s proposed plans for hybrid learning in September.

In a statement, Haynes said the population has been thrust into a state of uncertainty over the reopening of schools next month.

“What assessments have been conducted that support this approach?” she asked. “The Ministry of Education needs to use more substantive data and less guesswork when making plans for our nation’s children.”

Haynes said thousands of students have been left behind in the past year, falling through the cracks of virtual learning.

“Families are still struggling today to provide devices to their children and access internet connectivity.

“In fact, some students will not be promoted for the next school year because they were unable to attend the minimum number of classes.”

She questioned whether assessments of virtual classes were done and systems put in place to support families in need.

“My office continues to support families by printing learning packages and partnering with organisations to provide learning devices. However, there is still a great number of people in need of assistance. Will they be further left behind in September?”

Haynes called on the ministry to be more empathetic in its approach to policymaking. She said even with the gradual reopening of the economy, many parents are still struggling to recover their financial footing.

“We need to ensure that the decisions we make going forward are grounded in stakeholder consultations so that they ease burdens and protect the vulnerable rather than intensify the challenges they face.”

https://newsday.co.tt/2021/08/09/mp-hay ... reopening/

bluefete
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby bluefete » August 9th, 2021, 9:22 pm

Schools are supposed to re-open in less than 1 month's time and the gov't is still scrambling to put things in place.

They will wait until the last week in August to make a final decision and then have parents scrambling in crowds to get school supplies.

Mmoney607
30 pounds of Boost

Postby Mmoney607 » August 9th, 2021, 9:24 pm

Oh boy. Another bandit factory

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » August 9th, 2021, 9:30 pm

bluefete wrote:Schools are supposed to re-open in less than 1 month's time and the gov't is still scrambling to put things in place.

They will wait until the last week in August to make a final decision and then have parents scrambling in crowds to get school supplies.

Book lists have already been sent out by most schools.
Parents should already be looking at getting the books and stationary anyway.
So if there is any rush at the end of August it will be for uniforms and bags.
Many kids have not worn their uniforms since March 2020 so it's doubtful that anything will still fit.

My concern is that Delta variant is a lot more contagious and now infecting more kids than the previous variants.
Screenshot 2021-08-09 at 9.16.39 PM.jpg

paid_influencer

Postby paid_influencer » August 9th, 2021, 9:43 pm

I NOT SENDING NO CHILD TO NO SCHOOL TO GET COVID.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/08/heal ... -kids.html

^read that forking article in the NYT yesterday. Here's an except (the whole article will take about 15 minutes to read, but is worth it).

This Is Really Scary’: Kids Struggle With Long Covid

Aug. 8, 2021

Will Grogan stared blankly at his ninth-grade biology classwork. It was material he had mastered the day before, but it looked utterly unfamiliar.

“I don’t know what you’re talking about,” he blurted. His teacher and classmates reminded him how adeptly he’d answered questions about the topic during the previous class. “I’ve never seen this before,” he insisted, becoming so distressed that the teacher excused him to visit the school nurse.

The episode, earlier this year, was one of numerous cognitive mix-ups that plagued Will, 15, after he contracted the coronavirus in October, along with issues like fatigue and severe leg pain.

As young people across the country prepare to return to school, many are struggling to recover from lingering post-Covid neurological, physical or psychiatric symptoms. Often called “long Covid,” the symptoms and their duration vary, as does the severity.

“My idea of Covid before I got it was, You know what, if I get it, I’ll get it over with and I’ll have the antibodies and I’ll be good,” Will said. “But oh, my gosh, I just never want to go through that again. Never.”

Studies estimate long Covid may affect between 10 percent and 30 percent of adults infected with the coronavirus. Estimates from the handful of studies of children so far range widely. At an April congressional hearing, Dr. Francis Collins, director of the National Institutes of Health, cited one study suggesting that between 11 percent and 15 percent of infected youths might “end up with this long-term consequence, which can be pretty devastating in terms of things like school performance.”

The challenges facing young patients come as pediatric Covid-19 cases rise sharply, driven by the highly contagious Delta variant and the fact that well under half of 12-to-17-year-olds are fully vaccinated and children under 12 are still ineligible for vaccines.

Doctors say even youths with mild or asymptomatic initial infections may experience long Covid: confounding, sometimes debilitating issues that disrupt their schooling, sleep, extracurricular activities and other aspects of life.

“The potential impact is huge,” said Dr. Avindra Nath, chief of infections of the nervous system at the National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. “I mean, they’re in their formative years. Once you start falling behind, it’s very hard because the kids lose their own self-confidence too. It’s a downward spiral.”

Will, an Eagle Scout, a talented tennis player and a highly motivated student who loves studying languages so much that he takes both French and Arabic, said he used to feel “taking naps is a waste of sunlight.”

But Covid made him so fatigued that he could barely leave his bed for 35 days, and he was so dizzy that he had to sit to keep from fainting in the shower. When he returned to his Dallas high school classes, brain fog caused him to see “numbers floating off the page” in math, to forget to turn in a history paper on Japanese Samurai he’d written days earlier and to insert fragments of French into an English assignment.

“I handed it to my teacher, and she was like ‘Will, is this your scratch notes?’” said Will, adding that he worried: “Am I going to be able to be a good student ever again? Because this is really scary.”

At Boston Children’s Hospital, where a program draws long Covid patients from across the country, “we’re seeing things like fatigue, headaches, brain fog, memory and concentration difficulties, sleep disturbances, ongoing change in smell and taste,” said Dr. Molly Wilson-Murphy, a neuroinfectious diseases specialist there. She said most patients were “kids who had Covid and weren’t hospitalized, recovered at home, and then they have symptoms that just never go away — or they seem to get totally better and then a couple of weeks or a month or so after, they develop symptoms.”

“We don’t yet have any sort of good predictors of who will be affected, how much they’ll be affected and how quickly they’ll recover,” Dr. Wilson-Murphy said, adding “We don’t have any sort of magic treatment.”

Not me and my child. We doing fine with online classes, everything in the curriculum got checked off last term. I will continue with that, AND NO WAY IN HELL I SENDING ANY CHILD TO SCHOOL TO GET COVID.

SuperiorMan
punchin NOS

Postby SuperiorMan » August 9th, 2021, 9:49 pm

How likely is it UWI gonna be online?

DMan7
punchin NOS

Postby DMan7 » August 9th, 2021, 9:50 pm

Children have the strongest immune system, they would be fine!

paid_influencer

Postby paid_influencer » August 9th, 2021, 9:59 pm

SuperiorMan wrote:How likely is it UWI gonna be online?

UWI students could get vaxx. No reason why them can't be out to school. If they choose not to vaxx it on them.

Primary school students is madness tho. Delta variant is as contagious as chicken pox. And have you been to some of these schools? Crowded AF. Its like superspreader events every day if this plan goes through. Retail, food, everything would have to shut down again, hospital staff might quit with the strain of them -- strain we can entirely prevent this time. Don't do this Keith. This is madness, insanity.

daring dragoon
18 pounds of Boost

Postby daring dragoon » August 10th, 2021, 2:10 am

Anyone remember their school days? Mine was decades before covid an schools didnt have money to keep the toilets clean you think they will keep the classroom clean? They needed to stop everyone movement an close everything an have total cerfew for 21 days an stiffle the covid an all now we good to go.

Redman
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Redman » August 10th, 2021, 7:13 am

SuperiorMan wrote:How likely is it UWI gonna be online?

Based on a discussion I had a month or so ago with someone in admissions...they are going blended ....based on the results they have gotten over the last year they will pushing further into online delivery of courses.

elec2020
12 pounds of Boost

Postby elec2020 » August 10th, 2021, 7:33 am

^ I guess the online function cuts a good bit of costs for them. And its well known that UWI in a financial bind.

Habit7
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Habit7 » August 10th, 2021, 9:48 am

I will be sending my children out to school and I hope they have it 5 days a week. It is more deleterious to children's social and academic development to have them go another year without in-person education, especially for younger children. We can't be saying vaccinate to operate and when ppl vaccinating, we are moving the goalpost to operate. Covid is here for at least the next decade, we have to confront it and live our lives with guidelines, not fear.

matr1x

Postby matr1x » August 10th, 2021, 10:04 am

Ppl without children playing games with other ppl children lives

matr1x

Postby matr1x » August 10th, 2021, 10:07 am

Habit7 wrote:I will be sending my children out to school and I hope they have it 5 days a week. It is more deleterious to children's social and academic development to have them go another year without in-person education, especially for younger children. We can't be saying vaccinate to operate and when ppl vaccinating, we are moving the goalpost to operate. Covid is here for at least the next decade, we have to confront it and live our lives with guidelines, not fear.

When your pnm ppl killing and raping, don't pretend to care about children social development

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”