Forums

Servicing Gate Motors

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

agent007
punchin NOS

Re: Servicing Gate Motors

Postby agent007 » June 7th, 2022, 4:37 pm

Why not try the people who installed it for you first? Or find out via Google who are the dealers / resellers for the gate motor you have so you can contact those who may have spare parts? Outside of that, I recommend Expert Gating Systems Ltd. I have been introduced to them almost 10 years ago and I've had 0 issues with them so far.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » June 7th, 2022, 4:56 pm

are the bearings good ?
i changed a set last year and they shelled out in less than a year, granted they weren’t oiled regularly but still didn’t expect that

viedcht
Riding on 18's

Postby viedcht » October 6th, 2022, 2:36 pm

Good day tuners, asking for some advice for a partner in my area, as well as myself:

(no info on brand) sliding Gate stopped working, normally it opens and closes with one button functioning for either direction plus stop function. Always had an issue where it stopped midway and had to press to continue at random times. Today the breaker tripped and now it isn't responsive. Can this be the simple capacitor repair or most likely something else.

My front gate (tau) is just a little slow, but it was matched properly i.e. weight to power, but It always seem to be slower than I expected. I have the angle iron with metal wheels. Will changing out wheel and track to rubber wheel improve the speed or would it make any difference?

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » October 6th, 2022, 3:22 pm

check if wheels sticking
most of the wheels you get now have cheap bearings that don’t last

gastly369
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby gastly369 » October 6th, 2022, 4:03 pm

viedcht wrote:Good day tuners, asking for some advice for a partner in my area, as well as myself:

(no info on brand) sliding Gate stopped working, normally it opens and closes with one button functioning for either direction plus stop function. Always had an issue where it stopped midway and had to press to continue at random times. Today the breaker tripped and now it isn't responsive. Can this be the simple capacitor repair or most likely something else.

My front gate (tau) is just a little slow, but it was matched properly i.e. weight to power, but It always seem to be slower than I expected. I have the angle iron with metal wheels. Will changing out wheel and track to rubber wheel improve the speed or would it make any difference?
Recently did over ours solid steel rood welded ontop the old angle iron and new double bearing wheels... One finger push and massive gate rolls with no effort

viedcht
Riding on 18's

Postby viedcht » October 6th, 2022, 5:01 pm

pugboy wrote:check if wheels sticking
Okay thanks will check, I usually lube/WD 40(I know, but once in a blue moon I will remember and that is always within reach) whenever I do remember, and was wondering if the rubber wheel will help. Gate is about 850-900kg

viedcht
Riding on 18's

Postby viedcht » October 6th, 2022, 5:02 pm

gastly369 wrote:
viedcht wrote:Good day tuners, asking for some advice for a partner in my area, as well as myself:

Recently did over ours solid steel rood welded ontop the old angle iron and new double bearing wheels... One finger push and massive gate rolls with no effort
Thanks I figure I might change out wheels to this if I get the size. These are around 4yrs old.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » October 6th, 2022, 5:18 pm

wd40 aint a lube at all, it is not much different than using kerosene

viedcht wrote:
Okay thanks will check, I usually lube/WD 40(I know, but once in a blue moon I will remember and that is always within reach) whenever I do remember, and was wondering if the rubber wheel will help. Gate is about 850-900kg

Dave
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Dave » October 6th, 2022, 7:02 pm

I have never bought a water displacing chemical.
Crc and LPS and Peakes had one on special which works quite well and smells very nice.
I got some 5th wheel Amsoil spray which I recently used for gate wheels. Holding up quite well.

viedcht
Riding on 18's

Postby viedcht » October 7th, 2022, 7:58 am

pugboy wrote:wd40 aint a lube at all, it is not much different than using kerosene

viedcht wrote:
I know, but is when I remember, a few seconds before I leave for work, and most times the lube oil either far back in a locker or finish. WD always around ... Or is that making wheel bearing lose grease?

Dave
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Dave » October 7th, 2022, 8:03 am

WD is a water displacer meaning if something is moist it will displace the moisture. It's lubricating effect isn't long lasting especially where moisture would always be present.

viedcht
Riding on 18's

Postby viedcht » October 7th, 2022, 8:04 am

Morning all, just checked friend with the gate issue. Is some Chinese brand, the gate people coming next week. Tried raising gate and starting motor ( gate folks suggestion), and nothing. Electrician checked house wiring, no problems to cause the breaker to trip.

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » October 7th, 2022, 8:21 am

General rules for lubes, unless otherwise stated in user device manual:

Metal on metal use lithium grease. There's the spray and heavy duty grease for suitable application. But it usually leaves a heavy white residue, so you can't use it everywhere.

WD-40 is just to remove water and temporarily unstick some rusty seized parts and leaves an oily residue. e.g. a rusty bolt, or seized lock. But still have to lubricate the mechanism properly after and use threadlocker on bolts. WD-40 cleans and dissolves many things nicely too, but try to avoid wood and rubber. Because it displaces water. Weakens those types of bonds long term. So if the gate wheels are rusty, WD-40 can clean them up and get them rolling smooth, but use lithium after for proper lubrication.

Plastic on plastic, silicone spray works nicely. Silicone works well too on most light duty even metal on metal. It's water resistant and non-reactive, so it's handy for all sorts of things in the car.

ruffneck_12
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby ruffneck_12 » October 7th, 2022, 4:02 pm

Our gate motor got submerged in the floods

Gonna spray it out with contact cleaner and hope for the best, will report back if it works. ( breaker was flipped before the waters rose)

ruffneck_12
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby ruffneck_12 » October 7th, 2022, 4:04 pm

maj. tom wrote:General rules for lubes, unless otherwise stated in user device manual:

Metal on metal use lithium grease. There's the spray and heavy duty grease for suitable application. But it usually leaves a heavy white residue, so you can't use it everywhere.

WD-40 is just to remove water and temporarily unstick some rusty seized parts and leaves an oily residue. e.g. a rusty bolt, or seized lock. But still have to lubricate the mechanism properly after and use threadlocker on bolts. WD-40 cleans and dissolves many things nicely too, but try to avoid wood and rubber. Because it displaces water. Weakens those types of bonds long term. So if the gate wheels are rusty, WD-40 can clean them up and get them rolling smooth, but use lithium after for proper lubrication.

Plastic on plastic, silicone spray works nicely. Silicone works well too on most light duty even metal on metal. It's water resistant and non-reactive, so it's handy for all sorts of things in the car.

Always wondered about lithium.... Is that safe for the environment?
Both for the fishes downstream and also the mangoes in my yard

matix
Shifting into 6th

Postby matix » October 7th, 2022, 8:16 pm

ruffneck_12 wrote:Our gate motor got submerged in the floods

Gonna spray it out with contact cleaner and hope for the best, will report back if it works. ( breaker was flipped before the waters rose)

Leave open, electrical grade quick drying contact cleaner, change the fuse, then electrical grade lubricant to minimize the rusting of components. Leave to dry for a day then switch power on.

ruffneck_12
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby ruffneck_12 » October 10th, 2022, 8:14 am

matix wrote:

Leave open, electrical grade quick drying contact cleaner, change the fuse, then electrical grade lubricant to minimize the rusting of components. Leave to dry for a day then switch power on.

didnt use the electric lube,,, but I got one to work so far :twisted:

Ill buy some and spray out he rass..... The other board still drying out

matix
Shifting into 6th

Postby matix » October 10th, 2022, 8:26 pm

ruffneck_12 wrote:
matix wrote:

didnt use the electric lube,,, but I got one to work so far :twisted:

Ill buy some and spray out he rass..... The other board still drying out

Change the fuses

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » October 10th, 2022, 10:01 pm

You might want to consider using a shop vac to both vacuum and blow as much moisture off and away from the boards, stator and windings before condensation occurs.

ruffneck_12
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby ruffneck_12 » October 21st, 2022, 2:06 pm

I get through long time

Left it by an open window and the air/sun did the rest

supercharged turbo
punchin NOS

Postby supercharged turbo » April 25th, 2023, 9:24 pm

How do you perform a hard reset on your gate motor?I lost one of the keys and just for the safety factor,I wanna delete all the remotes and program them back.

Its a generic chinese branded unit.

ruffneck_12
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby ruffneck_12 » April 26th, 2023, 11:35 am

supercharged turbo wrote:How do you perform a hard reset on your gate motor?I lost one of the keys and just for the safety factor,I wanna delete all the remotes and program them back.

Any model number ? If it's generic it's probably a copy of another popular one with a manual that we can find, steps should be the same

Or if we lucky, we could probably get the manual for it. Just cuz it chiney dont mean it generic all the time eh ;)

Open it up and post a pic of everything.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » April 26th, 2023, 12:01 pm

does it have a built in rf receiver or third party one?

supercharged turbo
punchin NOS

Postby supercharged turbo » April 26th, 2023, 2:04 pm

ruffneck_12 wrote:
supercharged turbo wrote:How do you perform a hard reset on your gate motor?I lost one of the keys and just for the safety factor,I wanna delete all the remotes and program them back.

Any model number ? If it's generic it's probably a copy of another popular one with a manual that we can find, steps should be the same

Or if we lucky, we could probably get the manual for it. Just cuz it chiney dont mean it generic all the time eh ;)

Open it up and post a pic of everything.
I tried programming it last night and now its only opening from the remote and not cutting off even if the magnetic switch passes infront it.
pugboy wrote:does it have a built in rf receiver or third party one?
3rd party one I think?

supercharged turbo
punchin NOS

Postby supercharged turbo » April 26th, 2023, 2:06 pm

Pic for referrence
20230426_140031.jpg

matix
Shifting into 6th

Postby matix » April 26th, 2023, 5:21 pm

supercharged turbo wrote:Pic for referrence
20230426_140031.jpg

Small board on the left is a wireless receiver. So at some point the one that your gate came with went bad and that would have been added. (Small receiver on left) Small black button on the bottom right needs to be held until the light starts flashing quickly. Then using your transmitter (remote) you will hold down which button you want to be programmed. The light on the receiver will flash a few slow times which means your transmitter has been accepted. Hope this helps.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » April 26th, 2023, 5:37 pm

odd that the feeler switch stopped working just so, they are manual switches which stop the gate, not much to go wrong there.

that third party board will be wired for power from the main board( should be 2 wires) and also another 2 which basically short the 2 terminals on the main board.
so when remote is pressed and the rf board gets the signal it just shorts those two terminals together which tell the gate to open/close, exactly like how if there was a manual switch mounted which you would press to activate the gate.

best thing to do is disconnect that rf board and hook up a switch and manually operate to see if it is working normally
you need a momentary switch, not on/off

There are many chinese wifi boards now which you can also hook up and use a phone app to activate the gate.
I recently put in one on our gate, uses usb type power adapter and 2wires to the same terminals in the gate board.
it also has wiring for switches to detect if the gate is in open or closed position and can send you phone a message when somebody opens the gate.

I happen to have an odd problem with our gate which was installed this year, occasionally it gets some spurious signal and opens or closes on its own. hence me installing this phone app to be able to close gate remotely if I see it open on my cameras

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » April 26th, 2023, 7:08 pm

... if you're trying to clear all codes, try pressing the learn button eight times.

supercharged turbo
punchin NOS

Postby supercharged turbo » April 26th, 2023, 8:23 pm

adnj wrote:... if you're trying to clear all codes, try pressing the learn button eight times.
Will try this

Premchand1976
Riding on 16's

Postby Premchand1976 » April 26th, 2023, 9:56 pm

Need some advice guys. My motor seems to give trouble during the mid morning early afternoon period when the sun is hot. The gate will open and close but stops and has to be pressed to resume or restart closing or opening. I sometimes have to preee the board and the power button lights back up then remote responds. Defective board ? Replace/ repair?

Been struggling with thisba year now, tried a few things but temp relief.

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”