Forums

Businesses that closed down in Trinidad & Tobago due to Covid-19 lockdown

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Dizzy28
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: Businesses that closed down in Trinidad & Tobago due to Covid-19 lockdown

Postby Dizzy28 » August 12th, 2021, 8:52 am

CSO has not done the Continuous Sample Survey of Population (CSSP) since 2019. This is a quarterly survey with the objective of providing up to date data on the Labour Force characteristics of the population of Trinidad and Tobago on a continuing basis.
We are also overdue on the Census which should have been done last year
Central Bank's Labour Force numbers including unemployment are at Q4 2019

Private sector may very well have more updated figures than our statistical agencies.

Ben_spanna
punchin NOS

Postby Ben_spanna » August 12th, 2021, 9:06 am

elec2020 wrote:^ i hope when they get fired they sue as well as, as stated by several lawyers before, employers cannot change the terms of employment just so. Additionally, employers cannot mandate something that is not law. Its telling that you not hearing about these mandatory vaccines for employment in organizations that are unionized.

if employers are smart they know exactly how to get rid of them the legal way.... not hard at all and justified and has absolutely no way it can be taken to a union for them to take seriously!

Ben_spanna
punchin NOS

Postby Ben_spanna » August 12th, 2021, 9:08 am

Dizzy28 wrote:CSO has not done the Continuous Sample Survey of Population (CSSP) since 2019. This is a quarterly survey with the objective of providing up to date data on the Labour Force characteristics of the population of Trinidad and Tobago on a continuing basis.
We are also overdue on the Census which should have been done last year
Central Bank's Labour Force numbers including unemployment are at Q4 2019

Private sector may very well have more updated figures than our statistical agencies.

We are still backwards and inefficient in so many ways, to date you would think we should have computerized all government offices to start with and would be able to pay for almost everything government related online... we cant even do a simple task like that.
We still have to physically go to pay fines and tickets......
No one during this pandemic should have to line up in any Govt office to pay for any services...it should be available online.

elec2020
12 pounds of Boost

Postby elec2020 » August 12th, 2021, 9:26 am

Ben_spanna wrote:
elec2020 wrote:^ i hope when they get fired they sue as well as, as stated by several lawyers before, employers cannot change the terms of employment just so. Additionally, employers cannot mandate something that is not law. Its telling that you not hearing about these mandatory vaccines for employment in organizations that are unionized.

if employers are smart they know exactly how to get rid of them the legal way.... not hard at all and justified and has absolutely no way it can be taken to a union for them to take seriously!

Seeing that you so know. What pray tell way is that? To fire an employee without tying back that it was due to them being unvaccinated. Because, and this may shock you, when you fire someone you have to give a reason why you let them go. So if on my reports, I am recorded as a high performer, reach in office on time, on occasion stay behind to meet last minute deadlines, work well with other colleagues then what can you put on my record as a reason to fire me without opening up yourself to litigation for wrongful dismissal (which can extend now into discrimination if my lawyer can prove that those who perform worse than me are still on the job but the only difference between me and them on paper is our vaccination status).

Ben_spanna
punchin NOS

Postby Ben_spanna » August 12th, 2021, 10:09 am

elec2020 wrote:
Ben_spanna wrote:

Seeing that you so know. What pray tell way is that? To fire an employee without tying back that it was due to them being unvaccinated. Because, and this may shock you, when you fire someone you have to give a reason why you let them go. So if on my reports, I am recorded as a high performer, reach in office on time, on occasion stay behind to meet last minute deadlines, work well with other colleagues then what can you put on my record as a reason to fire me without opening up yourself to litigation for wrongful dismissal (which can extend now into discrimination if my lawyer can prove that those who perform worse than me are still on the job but the only difference between me and them on paper is our vaccination status).

^^^^^

:lol: :lol: :lol: this is just too easy.... you would first start with......................

elec2020
12 pounds of Boost

Postby elec2020 » August 12th, 2021, 10:26 am

redmanjp
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby redmanjp » August 12th, 2021, 10:40 am

teems1 wrote:
2WNBoost wrote:Remember there are people who profit from war and conflict.
There is treasure to be found everywhere if you put your mind to it.
It’s just a question of how far will you go.

matr1x wrote:The truly corrupt know how to exploit a disaster
When there's blood in the streets, you buy.

labs that provide pcr test making a killing now that borders open and it will increase even more when employers demand unvaxxed workers submit weekly/bi-weekly pcr tests.

teems1
punchin NOS

Postby teems1 » August 12th, 2021, 12:22 pm

elec2020 wrote:
Ben_spanna wrote:

What is your profession?

elec2020
12 pounds of Boost

Postby elec2020 » August 12th, 2021, 12:32 pm

teems1 wrote:
elec2020 wrote:
Ben_spanna wrote:

What is your profession?

one where i am part of a union. My occupation, title, etc are irrelevant to the current discussion.

teems1
punchin NOS

Postby teems1 » August 12th, 2021, 1:00 pm

elec2020 wrote:
teems1 wrote:
elec2020 wrote:
Ben_spanna wrote:

What is your profession?

one where i am part of a union. My occupation, title, etc are irrelevant to the current discussion.
If you're a work from home graphic designer then forcing you to be vaccinated has no grounds.

If you're a chef making people's food and you being unvaccinated is causing a drop in business then you'll be let go.

So yes it does matter.

elec2020
12 pounds of Boost

Postby elec2020 » August 12th, 2021, 2:15 pm

^ i work in finance. The only jobs i think where vaccination is mandated are those in medicine. To require other jobs to have vaccinated staff goes against the terms of employment and you cannot just change terms of employment as you would be breaking the contract. For example, can a chef who becomes HIV positive suddenly lose there job? No unless it was something stated in the terms of employment. Further, how can you prove that having unvaccinated staff is causing you to lose business as, as an employer, you not supposed to divulge the health status of an employee. With covid not existing like this, the average person does not have in there contract any stipulation about employment being dependent on vaccination status. As such, you can't just let go people.

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » August 12th, 2021, 2:26 pm

No company is going to bother firing union employees over refusal to vaccinate.

The days of clubbing workers is long gone - it doesn't make good financial sense.

Management where I come from simply looks the other way. The employee is at the same desk, doing the same job receiving the annual cost of living increases and union wage improvements.

When it's time for innovation, create a new business entity and hire new employees.

If it's a unionized bureaucratic position, even simpler. The employees are voters and there's not much of a need for improved efficiency. So, don't bother p!ssing-off the natives.
Last edited by adnj on August 12th, 2021, 2:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby timelapse » August 12th, 2021, 2:32 pm

elec2020 wrote:^ i work in finance. The only jobs i think where vaccination is mandated are those in medicine. To require other jobs to have vaccinated staff goes against the terms of employment and you cannot just change terms of employment as you would be breaking the contract. For example, can a chef who becomes HIV positive suddenly lose there job? No unless it was something stated in the terms of employment. Further, how can you prove that having unvaccinated staff is causing you to lose business as, as an employer, you not supposed to divulge the health status of an employee. With covid not existing like this, the average person does not have in there contract any stipulation about employment being dependent on vaccination status. As such, you can't just let go people.
HIV spreads differently but I am certain that you know that

gastly369
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby gastly369 » August 12th, 2021, 2:32 pm

adnj wrote:No company is going to bother firing union employees over refusal to vaccinate.

The days of clubbing workers is long gone - it doesn't make good financial sense.

Management where I come from simply looks the other way. The employee is at the same desk, doing the same job receiving the annual cost of living increases and union wage improvements.

When it's time for innovation, create a new business entity and hire new employees.
This sound like ah oil company bai...

sam1978
Riding on 16's

Postby sam1978 » August 12th, 2021, 2:46 pm

elec2020 wrote:Image

Talking to oneself is a sign of mental illness.

elec2020
12 pounds of Boost

Postby elec2020 » August 12th, 2021, 3:00 pm

timelapse wrote:
elec2020 wrote:^ i work in finance. The only jobs i think where vaccination is mandated are those in medicine. To require other jobs to have vaccinated staff goes against the terms of employment and you cannot just change terms of employment as you would be breaking the contract. For example, can a chef who becomes HIV positive suddenly lose there job? No unless it was something stated in the terms of employment. Further, how can you prove that having unvaccinated staff is causing you to lose business as, as an employer, you not supposed to divulge the health status of an employee. With covid not existing like this, the average person does not have in there contract any stipulation about employment being dependent on vaccination status. As such, you can't just let go people.

But they share the same principle. That, unless it is written in contract, you cannot let them go if they get it or refuse some new treatment for it. Else you open yourself to litigation for breaching contract. As i said before, I am a part of a union and thus far, I am yet to read of any financial company nor any unionised group of employees getting notification of a mandatory vaccination program (I wonder why lol). Its only the laborers or those on minimum wage they pushing that on and thats because more often than not those workers unfortunately do not know their rights nor have the financial resources to take their employer to court.

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » August 12th, 2021, 3:52 pm

elec2020 wrote:
timelapse wrote:

But they share the same principle. That, unless it is written in contract, you cannot let them go if they get it or refuse some new treatment for it. Else you open yourself to litigation for breaching contract. As i said before, I am a part of a union and thus far, I am yet to read of any financial company nor any unionised group of employees getting notification of a mandatory vaccination program (I wonder why lol). Its only the laborers or those on minimum wage they pushing that on and thats because more often than not those workers unfortunately do not know their rights nor have the financial resources to take their employer to court.

Compare the right to refusal of Covid vaccination with:

Mandated smallpox vaccination (1900s on)
Mandated Bacille Calmette-Guérin vaccine (BCG) (1940s on)
Mandated non-smoking areas (1970s on)

You will gain a better understanding how governments will likely shield corporations from litigation with public health measures.

I am expecting CDC, ECDC and WHO guidelines that support compulsory vaccination sometime next year.

elec2020
12 pounds of Boost

Postby elec2020 » August 12th, 2021, 4:05 pm

^ noted.

eliteauto
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby eliteauto » August 13th, 2021, 10:18 am

Bluegrass is closing their Trincity Mall branch
Attachments
BG.jpeg

death365
Riding on 18's

Postby death365 » August 13th, 2021, 10:28 am

They have good clothes but the mark up to freaking high .... wayyyyyyyyyyy to high
eliteauto wrote:Bluegrass is closing their Trincity Mall branch

hover11
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby hover11 » August 13th, 2021, 10:29 am

Good riddance they were too expensive pre pandemic, I believe they should move to west mall, they better suited there
eliteauto wrote:Bluegrass is closing their Trincity Mall branch

daring dragoon
18 pounds of Boost

Postby daring dragoon » August 13th, 2021, 12:53 pm

I finf kfc havin so much special in the last few days since delta announce. Like they want to get rid of stock before the boss close back down food places tomorrow.

Mmoney607
30 pounds of Boost

Postby Mmoney607 » August 13th, 2021, 1:03 pm

I hear Peter George say it will be a long while until things go back to normal or something so. It seem like he ways saying that the govt is the one pushing the vaccine mandates in business. As I say man is a big republican, so it really didn't seem like he wanted that vaccination policy.

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » August 13th, 2021, 1:14 pm

I purchased a jeans from them less than 2 years ago. The cost was less than $500. I think it was more like $450. if so much. In conversation with the staff, I was saying its difficult to verify if some of the clothing we buy locally are genuine/authentic and a supervisor who heard my conversation with the sales clerk offered to show me a certificate from Levi's recognizing BG as an authorized seller and any questions/concerns can be forwarded directly to corporate for a response. This was reassuring I might add.

Honestly, I found that the jeans fit me well and it looked pretty good so I left satisfied and I still use it up to this day. To me, its cheaper to get something here than to get it in Miami. For those of us who cannot afford to travel often like myself, I appreciate stores like BG. Sorry they had to close that branch down but it is what it is.

Dave
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Dave » August 13th, 2021, 2:53 pm

Bluegrass was authentic but seconds?

elec2020
12 pounds of Boost

Postby elec2020 » August 13th, 2021, 3:03 pm

Mmoney607 wrote:I hear Peter George say it will be a long while until things go back to normal or something so. It seem like he ways saying that the govt is the one pushing the vaccine mandates in business. As I say man is a big republican, so it really didn't seem like he wanted that vaccination policy.

I wouldn't doubt it. Cause T&T government already test the water when they say they make consider a vaccine mandate. The reception was bad on social media. Added to that what they saw in st.vincent, barbados and now antigua (which apparently had some drama as 2 people got arrested I think for launching projectiles) yhhhh they trying to get the businesses to do their dirty work. I think it was clear when they were saying that more vaccinations had to happen in the retail sector before restrictions could be lifted.

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » August 13th, 2021, 3:08 pm

daring dragoon wrote:I finf kfc havin so much special in the last few days since delta announce. Like they want to get rid of stock before the boss close back down food places tomorrow.

As far as I know KFC does not stock chicken.
Local KFC chicken comes exclusively from Arawak from their Mausica processing plant.
Arawak prepares and marinates the fresh chicken and delivers it daily to KFC branches chilled - not frozen.
So there is no stock to get rid of.

viedcht
Riding on 18's

Postby viedcht » August 13th, 2021, 6:45 pm

Duane 3NE 2NR wrote:
daring dragoon wrote:I finf kfc havin so much special in the last few days since delta announce. Like they want to get rid of stock before the boss close back down food places tomorrow.

As far as I know KFC does not stock chicken.
Local KFC chicken comes exclusively from Arawak from their Mausica processing plant.
Arawak prepares and marinates the fresh chicken and delivers it daily to KFC branches chilled - not frozen.
So there is no stock to get rid of.
A few years ago (maybe 7-8) I was walking past KFC Princes Town, they used the basement as storage. The Arawak chicken were being delivered unseasoned in clear bags. It could have been a one time happening, but I know I saw it.

viedcht
Riding on 18's

Postby viedcht » August 13th, 2021, 6:54 pm

agent007 wrote:I purchased a jeans from them less than 2 years ago. The cost was less than $500. I think it was more like $450. if so much. In conversation with the staff, I was saying its difficult to verify if some of the clothing we buy locally are genuine/authentic and a supervisor who heard my conversation with the sales clerk offered to show me a certificate from Levi's recognizing BG as an authorized seller and any questions/concerns can be forwarded directly to corporate for a response. This was reassuring I might add.

Honestly, I found that the jeans fit me well and it looked pretty good so I left satisfied and I still use it up to this day. To me, its cheaper to get something here than to get it in Miami. For those of us who cannot afford to travel often like myself, I appreciate stores like BG. Sorry they had to close that branch down but it is what it is.

I only get my jeans from BG. Used to enjoy the Silvertab styles. Usually you get some good discounts for Father's Day. To contrast the fit of Levi's, once someone bought me a jeans as a prezent from Tory H. I couldn't climb stairs or get into a vehicle with it. No sense in the design at all. Levi's and Lee jeans are made with comfort in mind.

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » August 13th, 2021, 6:58 pm

yall notice past few days some businesses front doors wide open under d guise of "cleaning up & preparing" for when stores are allowed back open on monday ...

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”