Businesses that closed down in Trinidad & Tobago due to Covid-19 lockdown

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

bluefete
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: Businesses that closed down in Trinidad & Tobago due to Covid-19 lockdown

Postby bluefete » August 3rd, 2021, 8:36 am

matr1x wrote:Pnm financiers happy too bad. Swoop in and take over

May be that is part of a plan??? Conspiracy theories? Why so many retails places (non-food) still closed?

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » August 3rd, 2021, 9:13 am

fir some reason their alignment business was minimal compared to the crowds you see at ldg or mileage mack

Dave wrote:Michelin wasn't selling?

Mmoney607
30 pounds of Boost

Postby Mmoney607 » August 3rd, 2021, 9:19 am

pugboy wrote:fir some reason their alignment business was minimal compared to the crowds you see at ldg or mileage mack

Probably customer service

matr1x
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby matr1x » August 3rd, 2021, 9:35 am

bluefete wrote:

May be that is part of a plan??? Conspiracy theories? Why so many retails places (non-food) still closed?

It was part of the property tax plan for sure.

They just good at exaggerating the emergency

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby timelapse » August 3rd, 2021, 9:44 am

Seahorse in bago real expensive though.I could only imagine the losses

Dave
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Dave » August 3rd, 2021, 10:14 am

At one point in time I only did alignment by them... couldn't afford a 2.5k single Michelin. There was an older guy there who was good. Kept a good house. Stopped going years now so not sure if he's around. Was in Maraval last time I saw him.
Mmoney607 wrote:
pugboy wrote:fir some reason their alignment business was minimal compared to the crowds you see at ldg or mileage mack

Probably customer service

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » August 3rd, 2021, 10:25 am

I did alignment there several times and the service was good
bought michelins a few times too when they had the 4 for 3 sale which is not bad
you pay about 1.8 times the price of a regular tire which is a good tire and lasts around 2x
of course it is a bigger upfront cost

Dave
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Dave » August 3rd, 2021, 10:31 am

Yup they are excellent tyres and bought a used set once and could see why ppl buy them but for someone who abused their tyres spending that amount never made sense. I usually landed equivalent spec tyres for much cheaper.

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » August 3rd, 2021, 10:45 am

I’m saddened to see them go. The thing is, I’ve noticed a slow disappearance of brand name tyres locally. Who do we go to now to get legitimate brand name Michelin’s etc? Most tyre shops now have other non recognized brands selling cheap, so in keeping with tough times, when people require tyres, they rather pay 20% the cost in a questionable brand over that of a high value brand. I maybe wrong but I’m a hard core car nut and I like to observe tyres especially in traffic. I see premium cars with cheap tyres all the time. That said, I hope we do have an alternative dealer locally for said Michelin’s. Outside of that, tire rack it is.

FrankChag
Riding on 16's

Postby FrankChag » August 3rd, 2021, 11:08 am

I wonder if "cease operations" means

"windup company and struck off the companies register",

or just,

"we stop operating to open back in a year or so."

ru$$ell wrote:Image

aaron17

Postby aaron17 » August 3rd, 2021, 11:15 am

Bruhh...I am a regular by them in the industry..now I hadda look for another place..steups

2WNBoost
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby 2WNBoost » August 3rd, 2021, 11:27 am

I went in the Maraval branch to pick some treats but the staff and light skinned manager behind the counter didn’t seem interested.
Took my money elsewhere.
PS: The service at the Park Street branch was way better even though it’s just a hole in the wall outlet.

He could keep all his products.

Those who are praising him would also praise the estate foreman from the 1800s

People can make a living without those like him.

Dizzy28 wrote:Isn't he an owner/shareholder of Linda's Bakery as well?

aaron17

Postby aaron17 » August 3rd, 2021, 11:35 am

I guess Tyre clinic it is ......

Les Bain
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby Les Bain » August 3rd, 2021, 11:38 am

agent007 wrote:I’m saddened to see them go. The thing is, I’ve noticed a slow disappearance of brand name tyres locally. Who do we go to now to get legitimate brand name Michelin’s etc? Most tyre shops now have other non recognized brands selling cheap, so in keeping with tough times, when people require tyres, they rather pay 20% the cost in a questionable brand over that of a high value brand. I maybe wrong but I’m a hard core car nut and I like to observe tyres especially in traffic. I see premium cars with cheap tyres all the time. That said, I hope we do have an alternative dealer locally for said Michelin’s. Outside of that, tire rack it is.

That not only affecting tires. I noticing a lot of retailers stocking more Chinese products to replace familiar brands. Yeah, China manufactures a range of products for major companies, but these products appearing locally have heavy, nonsensical Engrish on the packaging.

2WNBoost
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby 2WNBoost » August 3rd, 2021, 11:40 am

Businesses come and go.
If there is a demand, someone will try to satisfy it.

All those shouting gloom and doom should jump out at the first opportunity

viedcht
Riding on 18's

Postby viedcht » August 3rd, 2021, 11:59 am

bluefete wrote:

I try to sidestep conspiracies and politics, but its not a far-fetched thought . The liteskins were bitiching about being affected by the online shopping habits and internet advertising drying up their media house profits, etc. Maybe this is their chance to reclaim it somehow?

Also I always expected every international franchise here to be owned by them already

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » August 3rd, 2021, 7:59 pm

On the wrightson road branch there is a new banner saying "Track quick service"
so it appears track is takign over, if they will still sell michelin tires will have to be seen.

K74T
TunerGod

Postby K74T » August 3rd, 2021, 8:06 pm

20210803_200550.jpg

2WNBoost
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby 2WNBoost » August 3rd, 2021, 8:46 pm

Remember there are people who profit from war and conflict.
There is treasure to be found everywhere if you put your mind to it.
It’s just a question of how far will you go.

matr1x wrote:The truly corrupt know how to exploit a disaster

teems1
punchin NOS

Postby teems1 » August 3rd, 2021, 8:49 pm

2WNBoost wrote:Remember there are people who profit from war and conflict.
There is treasure to be found everywhere if you put your mind to it.
It’s just a question of how far will you go.

matr1x wrote:The truly corrupt know how to exploit a disaster
When there's blood in the streets, you buy.

Xplode
Riding on 18's

Postby Xplode » August 7th, 2021, 9:40 am

Coco Reef closes doors

The sister island of Tobago continues to face economic woes from the Covid-19 lockdown measures, which have forced the Coco Reef Resort and Spa to temporarily shut its doors.

President of the Tobago Hotel and Tourism Association Christian James said yesterday a number of other hotels such as the Grafton Beach Resort and its sister property, Le Grand Courlan Spa Resort, have also temporarily closed operations, as well as small hotels.

“There is no real sustainable economic activity at the moment in Tobago,” he said to the Express by phone.

“At the moment, we have no confirmed international airlift to Tobago, and with only three flights on the air bridge, it’s unlikely that we can create any occupancy that’s sustainable. It is a concern as people have no money, but it’s just the fact at the moment with the lock down the way it is. Many small hotels have also decided to shut their doors as well,” he added.

In a release dated August 5 Coco Reef and Spa owner John Jefferis said while associates have remained employed during the past 18 months, the current levels of staffing and employment cannot continue as it has during the pandemic.

“The uncertainty of beach closures, curfews and restricted travel has proven to be too much to allow for continued operations. Staffing will be reduced to maintain security of this island jewel. Reopening will be anticipated and planned for as travel resumes, as vaccinations increase and as new hospitality initiatives and protocols are embraced and implemented,” he said.

Jefferis noted it is a new world of travel and hospitality and a well-planned tourism effort is required to bring Tobago back to its pristine island destination image.

“Coco Reef Resort Tobago welcomes sensitivity to all tourism facets and a multi pronged approach to increasing airlift, reducing barriers and lifting the quality of services in our beloved Tobago. Coco Reef Resort and Spa looks forward to reopening at a date yet to be determined,” he said.

RedVEVO
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby RedVEVO » August 9th, 2021, 11:07 pm

^^

Coco Reef Resort Tobago closure is temporary .

" President of the Tobago Hotel and Tourism Association Christian James said yesterday a number of other hotels such as the Grafton Beach Resort and its sister property, Le Grand Courlan Spa Resort, have also temporarily closed operations, as well as small hotels "

tarzan
Sweet on this forum

Postby tarzan » August 10th, 2021, 10:50 am

so seeing that its temporary......

what are you trying to say, that it's okay if an entire industry collapses due to incompetent governance ??

Ben_spanna
punchin NOS

Postby Ben_spanna » August 11th, 2021, 1:56 pm

Any accuracy in those reported 6000 small businesses in South Trinidad that will not be reopening come next Monday? or are the figures being blown out of proportion?

6,000 businesses face permanent closure, won’t reopen Monday

Preparation is underway for the reopening of the retail sector next week but the Confederation of Regional Business Chamber says 6,000 businesses around the country will remain permanently closed.

Coordinator of the Confederation Jai Leladharsingh told Guardian Media that based on a survey done by the Confederation, about 6,000 out of 17,000 small and medium enterprises are facing economic decimation.

“Based on a survey that the confederation did, I say 6,000 businesses are going to permanently shut their doors. Restaurants, in-house dining, spas, beauty salons. It is sad, especially because many of these businesses are run by women. They need some help,” Leladharsingh said. 

He added, “The Ministry of Legal Affairs says there are 28,000 registered businesses in T&T . This is the formal sector but there is also a large informal sector that has to be studied.

“ Out of that 28,000, 17,000 are micro, small and medium enterprises. From the 28,000, it is estimated that 9,000 is from the retail sector,” Leladharsingh said.

Noting that the $300 million tranche given to commercial banks to assist SME’s were underutilized, Leladharsingh said many felt it was an entrapment.

https://www.guardian.co.tt/news/6000-bu ... 80511553a5

SuperiorMan
punchin NOS

Postby SuperiorMan » August 11th, 2021, 3:27 pm

Ben_spanna wrote:Any accuracy in those reported 6000 small businesses in South Trinidad that will not be reopening come next Monday? or are the figures being blown out of proportion?

This sounds hard to believe.

Wonder how many of these 6000 are fast food.

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » August 11th, 2021, 9:08 pm

Trade Ministry dismisses retail closure figures by chamber

The Ministry of Trade and Industry has dismissed claims by the Confederation of Regional Business Chambers that 6,000 retail businesses will remain permanently closed.

In a media statement on Wednesday, the ministry said it was concerned about the accuracy of the figures presented by the chamber.

“It is deeply concerned about the reliability and credibility of the figure quoted and wishes to advise that this information cannot be substantiated by either the Ministry of Labour or the Central Statistical Office (CSO) at this time. In addition, the ministry is yet to be furnished with a copy of the purported survey undertaken by the confederation," it said.”

https://newsday.co.tt/2021/08/11/trade- ... y-chamber/

RedVEVO
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby RedVEVO » August 12th, 2021, 7:04 am

^^

The Ministry and/or Minister has no credibility .

The first line of propaganda strategy is to deny the problem or the statistic exist .

Or " I did not read the report . I was abroad on vacation and just returned today "

Or " I am not aware of the event . The event was staged . "

Or " Listen , It have no damn vaccine to buy in the World ! So HYMC ! "

Chances are the real number is higher :D

elec2020
12 pounds of Boost

Postby elec2020 » August 12th, 2021, 8:03 am

the Minister dismissed the quotes by stating that CSO is unaware of this development. The same CSO that says that inflation throughout the pandemic was under 1 per cent? And she has the audacity to talk about credibility? Yh the chambers figures might be inflated to sensationalize their claim (whoever heard of an honest businessman?) Still, it is foolish to believe that the pandemic had a minor impact on the business sector and the longevity of some establishments. For instance, when malls were still open, after the lockdowns, imo, plenty stores in Trincity seemed like they closed their doors permanently.

Ben_spanna
punchin NOS

Postby Ben_spanna » August 12th, 2021, 8:38 am

So if its even 4000 businesses that closed their doors , and some of those are single business people and others may have 1-3 employees, thats still an additional 6000 people possibly with no income again.

Things not looking too good for Trini right now, and the unvaccinated want to make style on the employers about getting the jab, i hope when they get fired and they realize that they have 10 people waiting vaccinated to fill their positions they come to their senses.

elec2020
12 pounds of Boost

Postby elec2020 » August 12th, 2021, 8:41 am

^ i hope when they get fired they sue as well as, as stated by several lawyers before, employers cannot change the terms of employment just so. Additionally, employers cannot mandate something that is not law. Its telling that you not hearing about these mandatory vaccines for employment in organizations that are unionized.

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”