Forums

Future of Caribbean Airlines

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

jhonnieblue
Riding on 18's

Re: Future of Caribbean Airlines

Postby jhonnieblue » November 19th, 2021, 8:37 am

zoom rader wrote:^^ At what cost to tax payers?
Cost irrelevant, that whole fleet needed urgent change. Those planes were so dated it was a shame. When I flew last month that was prob the worst flying experience I have ever had. Uncomfortable like whoa.
Only reason I fly cal was to use miles

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » November 19th, 2021, 8:51 am

jhonnieblue wrote:
Cost irrelevant, that whole fleet needed urgent change. Those planes were so dated it was a shame. When I flew last month that was prob the worst flying experience I have ever had. Uncomfortable like whoa.
Only reason I fly cal was to use miles
Cost irrelevant?

Do you buy a cat in a bag?

How will you repay a load if taken?

Will the Government cover the cost at tax payers expense?

Cal has a history of not making money and a burden on Tax payers.

Cal prices are not competitive in the region.

You all seem like if this is some of loan for a carnival costume and struggle to pay for the rest of the year.

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » November 19th, 2021, 8:53 am

MaxPower wrote:

Irrelevant question Zoom.

If it does not waste here, it will be wasted elsewhere and the citizens of T&T will shut their mouths and take it.
This is why dis 5hithole will never reach anywhere if you don't hold and the government accountable for money spent.

K74T
TunerGod

Postby K74T » December 2nd, 2021, 10:43 am

Second 737-8 MAX arrived at Piarco laat night.

Dizzy28
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Dizzy28 » December 2nd, 2021, 11:14 am

K74T wrote:Second 737-8 MAX arrived at Piarco laat night.

In the same week there's a story about the retrenchment of 45% of its pilots going to the Industrial Court
Niceee!!!

https://guardian.co.tt/news/another-cal ... 363285164b

MaxPower
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby MaxPower » December 2nd, 2021, 6:10 pm

Dizzy28 wrote:
In the same week there's a story about the retrenchment of 45% of its pilots going to the Industrial Court
Niceee!!!

I understand that all the first officers on the ATR are not supposed to be in that position.

Imagine only in a company for 1-2 years and pilots with over 10 years of service got retrenched.

Madness.

hover11
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby hover11 » December 2nd, 2021, 6:14 pm

MaxPower wrote:
Dizzy28 wrote:
Niceee!!!

I understand that all the first officers on the ATR are not supposed to be in that position.

Imagine only in a company for 1-2 years and pilots with over 10 years of service got retrenched.

Madness.
Max,

Welcome to Sweet TnT

MaxPower
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby MaxPower » December 2nd, 2021, 6:20 pm

hover11 wrote:Max,

Welcome to Sweet TnT

Sweet?

All i seeing and smelling is sheit.

Trinis too blasted happy and nothing will please me more to see their faces when the phone rings for the wake up call.

MaxPower
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby MaxPower » December 3rd, 2021, 2:30 pm

IMG_8387.JPG

Well is now so they going to have racket to rush results for Trinis to travel.

Not that they never had fraudulent and erroneous testing going on already but it gonna get more rampant.

It have some scamps doing house visits and charging $400+ for Anti-gen/PCR tests and printing both a positive and negative results so when the actual result comes it done type up already.

We have to be more vigilant and a proper system put in place to stop irresponsible/infected Trinis from entering other countries.

Our infection rate is disgusting.

hover11
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby hover11 » December 3rd, 2021, 3:32 pm

MaxPower wrote:
IMG_8387.JPG

Well is now so they going to have racket to rush results for Trinis to travel.

Not that they never had fraudulent and erroneous testing going on already but it gonna get more rampant.

It have some scamps doing house visits and charging $400+ for Anti-gen/PCR tests and printing both a positive and negative results so when the actual result comes it done type up already.

We have to be more vigilant and a proper system put in place to stop irresponsible/infected Trinis from entering other countries.

Our infection rate is disgusting.
X3000

triniterribletim
Sweet on this forum

Postby triniterribletim » January 11th, 2022, 12:42 pm

Looks like CAL is in some trouble with the government of Suriname. I really hope this doesn't impact my flight outta here in March.

https://trinidadexpress.com/business/lo ... 4c836.html

bluefete
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby bluefete » January 11th, 2022, 2:22 pm

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » January 11th, 2022, 2:55 pm

What CAL needs to do is get some long range wide body aircraft (767, 777, 787) and ply some exotic major international routes. Partner with the Tourism Ministry and aggressively market T&T moreso Tobago and other key Caribbean destinations. Watch and see revenues will rise and profits increase. They will create employment directly and indirectly. It's a win win situation. Bring back the glory days when the L1011 T500 was in the fleet.

Dizzy28
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Dizzy28 » January 11th, 2022, 3:05 pm

agent007 wrote:What CAL needs to do is get some long range wide body aircraft (767, 777, 787) and ply some exotic major international routes. Partner with the Tourism Ministry and aggressively market T&T moreso Tobago and other key Caribbean destinations. Watch and see revenues will rise and profits increase. They will create employment directly and indirectly. It's a win win situation. Bring back the glory days when the L1011 T500 was in the fleet.

Air travel is very very low margin.
CAL is not going to out-compete the hub models of other long haul carriers.

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » January 11th, 2022, 3:14 pm

Hmm noted but they should rebrand the whole operation. Change up the colors and logo etc. Air travel has gotten expensive and is strictly for the vaccinated. So simply go premium and offer and improved flying experience. Get some attractive flight attendants with revamped uniforms. Got to spend money to make it.

This Suriname thing whilst it's our fault will affect our bottom line. We need more routes! The flight balance between international airlines entering the Caribbean vs CAL heading out of the Caribbean has a clear imbalance and favour to the multinational airlines. We need to strike a balance. After all, we are tropical...those in the cold need our climate more than we need theirs.

Dohplaydat
punchin NOS

Postby Dohplaydat » January 11th, 2022, 7:31 pm

Dizzy28 wrote:
agent007 wrote:What CAL needs to do is get some long range wide body aircraft (767, 777, 787) and ply some exotic major international routes. Partner with the Tourism Ministry and aggressively market T&T moreso Tobago and other key Caribbean destinations. Watch and see revenues will rise and profits increase. They will create employment directly and indirectly. It's a win win situation. Bring back the glory days when the L1011 T500 was in the fleet.

Air travel is very very low margin.
CAL is not going to out-compete the hub models of other long haul carriers.

It is next to impossible for CAL to be profitable, they relied on Guyana and some of the North American routes to turn a profit, but jet blue and other airlines have cut into that big time.

Honestly, I don't see a way out. CAL CEO is a boss so maybe he can turn things around eventually.

SPK1983
3NE 2NR for life

Postby SPK1983 » January 11th, 2022, 10:46 pm

Quick suggestion - take some time to research why the POS-LGW route was unprofitable for CAL, even with decent plane occupancy on a pretty consistent basis.

That will give some clarity to your suggestions.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » January 12th, 2022, 5:44 am

piarco is a terrible location to begin

bluefete
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby bluefete » January 12th, 2022, 8:00 am

SPK1983 wrote:

Quick suggestion - take some time to research why the POS-LGW route was unprofitable for CAL, even with decent plane occupancy on a pretty consistent basis.

That will give some clarity to your suggestions.

http://www.ttparliament.org/reports/p11 ... r5-CAL.pdf

Fleet
On Wednesday, January 13, 2016, CAL discontinued flights to London due to “costs
associated with maintaining the Boeing 767 aircraft operation”5 (pg.14)

5 Last CAL flight from London, Trinidad and Tobago Guardian Newspaper,

http://www.guardian.co.tt/business/2016 ... ght-london Accessed 20 March 2017

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby timelapse » January 12th, 2022, 8:12 am

What CAL needs to do is leave Trinis out of executive positions.Watch how fast costs will drop

j.o.e
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby j.o.e » January 12th, 2022, 8:15 am

pugboy wrote:piarco is a terrible location to begin

Explain ?

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » January 12th, 2022, 8:54 am

Thanks for the info guys. Did not know the 767 was a high maintenance aircraft. I did not take in the entire report but is this high maintenance for CAL based on their budget or higher maintenance than usual for a wide body?

Would switching to an Airbus A330 be a better option?

If exploring options and brain storming suggestions to make CAL profitable is not making any sense then we will need to start conditioning our minds that we can lose CAL for good and our country's airline industry can be totally outsourced. We just don't have the money to keep bailing them out any anymore.

Dohplaydat
punchin NOS

Postby Dohplaydat » January 12th, 2022, 11:50 am

agent007 wrote:Thanks for the info guys. Did not know the 767 was a high maintenance aircraft. I did not take in the entire report but is this high maintenance for CAL based on their budget or higher maintenance than usual for a wide body?

If exploring options and brain storming suggestions to make CAL profitable is not making any sense then we will need to start conditioning our minds that we can lose CAL for good and our country's airline industry can be totally outsourced. We just don't have the money to keep bailing them out any anymore.

Wasn't that plane leased from chartered company? Would the cost have been so much if CAL actually owned the plane?

Maybe that was the plan, to buy a small fleet, because I distinctly remember CAL talking about direct flights to South Africa and Brazil.

triniterribletim
Sweet on this forum

Postby triniterribletim » January 13th, 2022, 1:42 pm

Dohplaydat wrote:
agent007 wrote:Thanks for the info guys. Did not know the 767 was a high maintenance aircraft. I did not take in the entire report but is this high maintenance for CAL based on their budget or higher maintenance than usual for a wide body?

Wasn't that plane leased from chartered company? Would the cost have been so much if CAL actually owned the plane?

Maybe that was the plan, to buy a small fleet, because I distinctly remember CAL talking about direct flights to South Africa and Brazil.

I wish there were direct flights to Brazil, would eliminate the need of a 48-24 hour layover in Paramaribo, especially in this COVID-19 era.

j.o.e
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby j.o.e » January 13th, 2022, 2:31 pm

triniterribletim wrote:
Dohplaydat wrote:

I wish there were direct flights to Brazil, would eliminate the need of a 48-24 hour layover in Paramaribo, especially in this COVID-19 era.

Copa via Panama not available still ? This is the one I used to use. Connecting no real layover

triniterribletim
Sweet on this forum

Postby triniterribletim » January 13th, 2022, 11:55 pm

j.o.e wrote:
triniterribletim wrote:
Dohplaydat wrote:

Copa via Panama not available still ? This is the one I used to use. Connecting no real layover

Going via Suriname costs about roughly ~2400 TTD less. If flying Caribbean Airlines you only have a roughly ~24 hour layover in Paramaribo going versus a 12 hour layover in Panama coming and going.

bluefete
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby bluefete » January 19th, 2022, 10:00 am

CAL going and sell doubles at USD$8.00 FOR ONE!

They have to find a way to pay for the new planes.

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » January 19th, 2022, 11:17 am

To fly one must be vaccinated, it means flying is not currently accessible to the entire public at large. Also, with unemployment at unprecedented levels, demand for flying would decrease.

CAL still has to meet the cost to operate so what should they do? I say, offer a premium flying experience to justify these new ticket prices. Offer 3 levels of flying within the cabin. There could be premium first class, economy with extra leg room and then regular economy class. Improve the flying experience for all 3 eg. Leather seats with monitors for all seating positions.

Improve the flight entertainment as well as the food and beverages served. Open up merchandise stores to sell exclusive branded material that builds the brand and markets the countries that they serve.

Sorry to sound like this but also, they need to do like Fly Emirates and probably get some attractive looking flight attendants and reset those uniforms to stand out more. Humming birds aren't your usual birds, they are unique and stand out similar to parrots. Change up those colors on the plane itself too.

In addition to commercial flying, enter the freight industry with dedicated aircraft so companies like Laparkan and Amerijet can get some competition. If they partner with Amazon, packages from Miami can be shipped exclusively with CAL Cargo instead of DHL.

BWIA/CAL has such long deep history, we need to stimulate a sense of patriotism to our national airline and in conjunction with regional governments, ensure that the airline becomes a symbol of connection to the most beautiful beaches in the world of the Caribbean Sea.

If we fail then CAL could stand for China Air Lines. To lose our pitch, our port, our public utilities and a plethora of state interests to China bothers me a lot and I'm sure it does with many others too.

Drea
Sweet on this forum

Postby Drea » January 19th, 2022, 12:49 pm

triniterribletim wrote:
Dohplaydat wrote:

Did you ever use Gol when they started flying here? Really wished that route had lasted but alas, still happy I got to use them once.

bluefete
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby bluefete » January 19th, 2022, 1:15 pm

agent007 wrote:CAL still has to meet the cost to operate so what should they do?

They are selling doubles at USD$8.00 FOR ONE!

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”