TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

COVID-19 in Trinidad & Tobago (Local Updates & Discussions Only)

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

sMASH
TunerGod

Re: Coronavirus - COVID-19 - 15899 cases, 276 deaths, 5558 active, 10065 recovered in T&T

Postby sMASH » May 16th, 2021, 1:32 pm

Habit7 wrote:Anymore of those investigative reporting of ppl aunt, uncle and nennen stranded outside T&T and begging to come back?

yer boy rowley put a stop to that promptly with that tobago spike

sMASH
TunerGod

Re: Coronavirus - COVID-19 - 15899 cases, 276 deaths, 5558 active, 10065 recovered in T&T

Postby sMASH » May 16th, 2021, 1:35 pm

MaxPower wrote:So it appears EVERY one getting infected never know how they got it.

OH i was always home

I always sanitized

I always wore my mask

I always kept my distance

Yeh……OK.

annnd mr simidemioligists, i mean epidemiologists hinds have not put forward any data on if the case we have now is the regular covid we had before, a new strain, which strain, or any combination of. and they have the labs to do it.
lack of data all around.

ST Auto
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby ST Auto » May 16th, 2021, 1:46 pm

Yes this is true
bluefete wrote:Now hearing a Std.5 teacher from Grant Memorial passed away.

Anyone can confirm?

gastly369
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby gastly369 » May 16th, 2021, 1:54 pm

Ahh wrd
Habit7 wrote:
gastly369 wrote:Diiiiizzz wah I want to know now
sam1978 wrote:
shake d livin wake d dead wrote:Coming soon

The article said it was donated, I thought we took a loan for it?

China had promised to donate 100K doses since PM met with Xinping. But we were also borrowing from China $1B to supplement the budget. Since Sinopharm got approved, we are also buying 1.5M doses of Sinopharm, they will just take it out of the loan and give us the change. The loan stipulates that 15% must be on Chinese goods, so the vaccines and other medical stuff satisfy this.

bluefete
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby bluefete » May 16th, 2021, 2:06 pm

ST Auto wrote:Yes this is true

Anyone can confirm?

Thanks. Very sad.

Habit7
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Habit7 » May 16th, 2021, 2:16 pm

Dohplaydat wrote:
hover11 wrote:Isn't sinopharm of the lowest Quality in terms of vaccines, we really scrapping the bottom of the barrel here

Possibly the worst of the WHO vaccines yes. They are better than nothing obviously, but I do worry that buying 1.5M doses of this vaccine might be a bit of a waste....in terms of allowing us to get back to normal.

Have a look at Seychelles, the majority of the first to be vaccinated there were given Sinopharm.

40% of their population have received 2 two doses of Sinopharm.

25% of their population got Astrazeneca, but most are only first dose, or just received their second dose.

The issue isn't with AZ (yet) but Sinopharm.

The fact that cases continue to spread so much with many vaccinated persons testing for positive is concerning.

It means that even if we reach 60% vaccinations with Sinopharm we can still be having outbreaks, but deaths should be reduced greatly.
Screenshot_20210516_131320.jpg
Screenshot_20210516_131301.jpg

I don't know how you arrived at only Sinopharm as being the issue. They are still investigating. But Sinopharm doesn't yet show any adverse side effects like AZ.

To date, 57% of those who have been fully vaccinated have received the vaccine from China's state-owned drugmaker Sinopharm, while 43% have received AstraZeneca (AZN.L) shots, it said. Nearly 60% of the population have had two doses, the WHO said.

The ministry said 80% of those needing hospital treatment had not been vaccinated and tended to be people with co-morbidities. The ministry could not immediately be reached for further comment.

The WHO has said a large Phase III trial of Sinopharm has shown that two doses, administered at an interval of 21 days, have an efficacy of 79% against symptomatic infection, 14 or more days after the second dose. AstraZeneca said its March its COVID-19 vaccine was 76% effective.
https://www.reuters.com/business/health ... 021-05-11/

MaxPower
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby MaxPower » May 16th, 2021, 2:35 pm

sMASH wrote:
MaxPower wrote:So it appears EVERY one getting infected never know how they got it.

OH i was always home

I always sanitized

I always wore my mask

I always kept my distance

Yeh……OK.

annnd mr simidemioligists, i mean epidemiologists hinds have not put forward any data on if the case we have now is the regular covid we had before, a new strain, which strain, or any combination of. and they have the labs to do it.
lack of data all around.

SMH

Dohplaydat
punchin NOS

Postby Dohplaydat » May 16th, 2021, 2:40 pm

Habit7 wrote:
Dohplaydat wrote:
hover11 wrote:Isn't sinopharm of the lowest Quality in terms of vaccines, we really scrapping the bottom of the barrel here

Possibly the worst of the WHO vaccines yes. They are better than nothing obviously, but I do worry that buying 1.5M doses of this vaccine might be a bit of a waste....in terms of allowing us to get back to normal.

Have a look at Seychelles, the majority of the first to be vaccinated there were given Sinopharm.

40% of their population have received 2 two doses of Sinopharm.

25% of their population got Astrazeneca, but most are only first dose, or just received their second dose.

The issue isn't with AZ (yet) but Sinopharm.

The fact that cases continue to spread so much with many vaccinated persons testing for positive is concerning.

It means that even if we reach 60% vaccinations with Sinopharm we can still be having outbreaks, but deaths should be reduced greatly.
Screenshot_20210516_131320.jpg
Screenshot_20210516_131301.jpg

I don't know how you arrived at only Sinopharm as being the issue. They are still investigating. But Sinopharm doesn't yet show any adverse side effects like AZ.

To date, 57% of those who have been fully vaccinated have received the vaccine from China's state-owned drugmaker Sinopharm, while 43% have received AstraZeneca (AZN.L) shots, it said. Nearly 60% of the population have had two doses, the WHO said.

The ministry said 80% of those needing hospital treatment had not been vaccinated and tended to be people with co-morbidities. The ministry could not immediately be reached for further comment.

The WHO has said a large Phase III trial of Sinopharm has shown that two doses, administered at an interval of 21 days, have an efficacy of 79% against symptomatic infection, 14 or more days after the second dose. AstraZeneca said its March its COVID-19 vaccine was 76% effective.
https://www.reuters.com/business/health ... 021-05-11/

I digged into it. It's too soon to say the fault is with AZ as well. They've barely begun giving second doses for AZ so that 43% are mostly first dose persons who were given in April.

Not so with SInopharm, which has been given out since Jan/Feb and second doses in Mar/Apr.

I'm all for vaccines, but we also need effective vaccines to return to normal.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/12/busi ... pharm.html

World’s Most Vaccinated Nation Is Spooked by Covid Spike
Seychelles has seen a surge in coronavirus cases even though much of its population was inoculated with China’s Sinopharm vaccine.

Marie Neige, a call center operator in Seychelles, was eager to be vaccinated. Like the majority of the residents in the tiny island nation, she received China’s Sinopharm vaccine in March, and expected to be fully protected in a few weeks.

On Sunday, she tested positive for the coronavirus.

“I was shocked,” said Ms. Neige, 30, who is isolating at home. She said she had lost her sense of smell and taste and had a slightly sore throat. “The vaccine was supposed to protect us — not from the virus, but the symptoms,” she said. “I was taking precaution after precaution.”

China expected its Sinopharm vaccines to be the linchpin of the country’s vaccine diplomacy program — an easily transported dose that would protect not just Chinese citizens but also much of the developing world. In a bid to win good will, China has donated 13.3 million Sinopharm doses to other countries, according to Bridge Beijing, a consultancy that tracks China’s impact on global health.

Instead, the company, which has made two varieties of coronavirus vaccines, is facing mounting questions about the inoculations. First, there was the lack of transparency with its late-stage trial data. Now, Seychelles, the world’s most vaccinated nation, has had a surge in cases even though much of its population was inoculated with Sinopharm.

For the 56 countries counting on the Sinopharm shot to help them halt the pandemic, the news is a setback.

For months, public health experts had focused on trying to close the access gap between rich and poorer nations. Now, scientists are warning that developing nations that choose to use the Chinese vaccines, with their relatively weaker efficacy rates, could end up lagging behind countries that select vaccines made by Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna. That gap could allow the pandemic to continue in countries that have fewer resources to fight it.

“You really need to use high-efficacy vaccines to get that economic benefit because otherwise they’re going to be living with the disease long term,” said Raina MacIntyre, who heads the biosecurity program at the Kirby Institute of the University of New South Wales in Sydney, Australia. “The choice of vaccine matters.”

Nowhere have the consequences been clearer than in Seychelles, which relied heavily on a Sinopharm vaccine to inoculate more than 60 percent of its population. The tiny island nation in the Indian Ocean, northeast of Madagascar and with a population of just over 100,000, is battling a surge of the virus and has had to reimpose a lockdown.

Among the vaccinated population that has had two doses, 57 percent was given Sinopharm, while 43 percent was given AstraZeneca. Thirty-seven percent of new active cases are people who are fully vaccinated, according to the health ministry, which did not say how many people among them had the Sinopharm shot.

“On the surface of it, that’s an alarming finding,” said Dr. Kim Mulholland, a pediatrician at the Murdoch Children’s Research Institute in Melbourne, Australia, who has been involved in the oversight of many vaccine trials, including those for a Covid-19 vaccine.

Dr. Mulholland said the initial reports from Seychelles correlate to a 50 percent efficacy rate for the vaccine, instead of the 78.1 percent rate that the company has touted.

“We would expect in a country where the great majority of the adult population has been vaccinated with an effective vaccine to see the disease melt away,” he said.

Scientists say breakthrough infections are normal because no vaccine is 100 percent effective. But the experience in Seychelles stands in stark contrast to Israel, which has the second-highest vaccination coverage in the world and has managed to beat back the virus. A study has shown that the Pfizer vaccine that Israel used is 94 percent effective at preventing transmission. On Wednesday, the number of daily new confirmed Covid-19 cases per million people in Seychelles stood at 2,613.38, compared with 5.55 in Israel, according to the World in Data project.

Wavel Ramkalawan, the president of Seychelles, defended the country’s vaccination program, saying the Sinopharm and AstraZeneca vaccines have “served our population very well.” He pointed out that the Sinopharm vaccine was given to people ages 18 to 60, and in this age group over all, 80 percent of the patients who needed to be hospitalized were not vaccinated.

“People may be infected, but they are not sick. Only a small number are,” he told the Seychelles News Agency. “So what is happening is normal.”

Sylvestre Radegonde, the minister for foreign affairs and tourism, said the surge in cases in Seychelles happened in part because people had let their guard down, according to the Seychelles News Agency. Sinopharm did not respond to a request for comment.

In a response to an article from The Wall Street Journal on Seychelles, a spokeswoman for China’s foreign ministry blamed Western media for trying to discredit Chinese vaccines and “harboring the mentality that ‘everything involving China has to be smeared.’”

In a news conference, Kate O’Brien, director of immunizations at the World Health Organization, said the agency was evaluating the surge of infections in Seychelles and called the situation “complicated.” Last week, the global health group approved the Sinopharm vaccine for emergency use, raising hopes of an end to a global supply crunch.

She said that “some of the cases that are being reported are occurring either soon after a single dose or soon after a second dose or between the first and second doses.”

According to Ms. O’Brien, the W.H.O. is looking into the strains that are currently circulating in the country, when the cases occurred relative to when somebody received doses and the severity of each case. “Only by doing that kind of evaluation can we make an assessment of whether or not these are vaccine failures,” she said.

But some scientists say it is increasingly clear that the Sinopharm vaccine does not offer a clear path toward herd immunity, particularly when considering the multiple variants appearing around the world.

Governments using the Sinopharm vaccine “have to assume a significant failure rate and have to plan accordingly,” said John Moore, a vaccine expert at Cornell University. “You have to alert the public that you will still have a decent chance of getting infected.”

Wavel Ramkalawan, the president of Seychelles, right, filling out paperwork before receiving his first dose of Sinopharm vaccine in January. He has defended the country’s vaccination program.

“My question is: Why did they push everyone to take it?” said Diana Lucas, a 27-year-old waitress who tested positive on Monday. She said she received her second dose of the Sinopharm vaccine on Feb. 10.

Emmanuelle Hoareau, 22, a government lawyer, tested positive last Thursday after getting the second dose of the Sinopharm vaccine in March. “It doesn’t make sense,” she said. She said the government had failed to give the public enough information about the vaccines.

“They are not explaining to the people about the real situation,” she said. “It’s a big deal — a lot of people are getting infected.”

Ms. Hoareau’s mother, Jacqueline Pillay, is a nurse in a private clinic in Victoria, the capital. She said she believed there was a new variant in Seychelles because of an influx of foreigners who had arrived in recent months. The tourism-dependent country opened its borders on March 25 to most travelers without any quarantine.

“People are very scared now,” said Ms. Pillay, 58. “When you give people the right information, then people would not speculate.”

Health officials have recently appeared on television to encourage those who have taken only the first dose of the Sinopharm vaccine to return for the second shot. But Ms. Pillay said she was frustrated that the public health commissioner had not addressed why the vaccines didn’t appear to be working as well as they should.

“I think a lot of people aren’t coming back,” said Ms. Pillay.

Trying very hard to be balanced here Habit7. I'm not against this vaccine, I encourage everyone to take it as it's our only hope. But that said, we need to know what we're buying and what it will achieve, from the initial looks it seems we'll be struggling with Covid for sometime if this is our main vaccine option.

K74T
TunerGod

Postby K74T » May 16th, 2021, 3:12 pm

ST Auto wrote:Yes this is true

Anyone can confirm?
Who was the teacher?

widdyphuck
18 pounds of Boost

Postby widdyphuck » May 16th, 2021, 3:16 pm

Right now the goal is to try and make it out this week alive.
Situation bleak in Trinidad at the moment.
Authorities ain't want to admit it.
Lots of people leaving all the wealth and dying.
Such is life.

Habit7
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Habit7 » May 16th, 2021, 3:25 pm

It think much is being made of small sample size that has AZ and Sinopharm. Sinopharm is taking all the blame while bigger countries are rejecting AZ because of side effects. It seems to be more of a West vs China vaccine proxy war than the actual facts of the vaccine.

widdyphuck
18 pounds of Boost

Postby widdyphuck » May 16th, 2021, 3:42 pm

RIP
Screenshot_20210516-151758_Facebook.jpeg

aaron17
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby aaron17 » May 16th, 2021, 3:44 pm

https://www.facebook.com/ExpressNewspap ... 443923330/

Looks like they asking for forgiveness.

MaxPower
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby MaxPower » May 16th, 2021, 3:55 pm

TTPS move too lenient yes…

People are not taking this seriously.

Use assertive/aggressive force.

Les Bain
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby Les Bain » May 16th, 2021, 4:04 pm

aaron17 wrote:https://www.facebook.com/ExpressNewspapers/videos/537408443923330/

Looks like they asking for forgiveness.

Bunch of frigging kooks.

K74T
TunerGod

Postby K74T » May 16th, 2021, 4:05 pm

356 new cases and 9 deaths

FB_IMG_1621195486320.jpeg

widdyphuck
18 pounds of Boost

Postby widdyphuck » May 16th, 2021, 4:09 pm

K74T wrote:356 new cases and 9 deaths

Sunday lows...

Dohplaydat
punchin NOS

Postby Dohplaydat » May 16th, 2021, 4:11 pm

K74T wrote:356 new cases and 9 deaths

Highest ever on a Sunday btw.
Screenshot 2021-05-16 at 4.13.29 pm.png
Screenshot 2021-05-16 at 4.13.29 pm.png (23.3 KiB) Viewed 780 times

Last Sunday by comparison we had 233 cases and 8 deaths.

The good news is that testing seems (though it's too soon to say) to be going down. This means while the first 4 days of next week could be the highest case numbers we've ever seen, it'll start to reduce slowly by end of the week.

Screenshot 2021-05-16 at 4.09.52 pm.png

aaron17

Postby aaron17 » May 16th, 2021, 4:19 pm

I wouldn't call it off just yet.
Well since the figure is not a true representation...underreporting, it would seem the lockdown aint doing nothing. They will just keep getting high numbers.

widdyphuck
18 pounds of Boost

Postby widdyphuck » May 16th, 2021, 4:22 pm

Hospitalized persons are at an all time high also.

Dohplaydat
punchin NOS

Postby Dohplaydat » May 16th, 2021, 4:26 pm

aaron17 wrote:I wouldn't call it off just yet.
Well since the figure is not a true representation...underreporting, it would seem the lockdown aint doing nothing. They will just keep getting high numbers.

the figures are delayed AF, but daily testing was increasing all week and had a slight dip today. That could be statistically insignificant. We'll hopefully see the private lab weekly batch come in tomorrow and see how it compares to the previous week. That said, with all the delays, I'm sure we'll have some record highs Tue-Thur.

Dizzy28
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Dizzy28 » May 16th, 2021, 4:27 pm

Earlier in this thread someone said only Belgroves can do funerals for covid victims. But the story in yesterday's Express on the mix up of bodies at the Funeral on Friday of the Tunapuna market vendor indiactee the funeral home was Simpsons.

So clearly Belgroves are not the sole funeral home allowed.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » May 16th, 2021, 4:51 pm

we will see how many tested by tues, wed to get an idea along with positivity rates

Kenjo
punchin NOS

Postby Kenjo » May 16th, 2021, 5:37 pm

You guys pretty optimistic , the stories of other countries indicate we not seeing a drop in numbers anytime soon , how is India doing , just because they lost the spotlight on main news means that things going dandy

Dohplaydat
punchin NOS

Postby Dohplaydat » May 16th, 2021, 5:56 pm

Kenjo wrote:You guys pretty optimistic , the stories of other countries indicate we not seeing a drop in numbers anytime soon , how is India doing , just because they lost the spotlight on main news means that things going dandy

Note when i say drop, i mean we'll stop peaking......cases will still be very high....averaging 200+ a day for a few more weeks

widdyphuck
18 pounds of Boost

Postby widdyphuck » May 16th, 2021, 6:16 pm

Dohplaydat wrote:
Kenjo wrote:You guys pretty optimistic , the stories of other countries indicate we not seeing a drop in numbers anytime soon , how is India doing , just because they lost the spotlight on main news means that things going dandy

Note when i say drop, i mean we'll stop peaking......cases will still be very high....averaging 200+ a day for a few more weeks
We will definitely be locked down for most of July.
Before that hunger and poverty will become an issue. It's a balancing act.

MaxPower
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby MaxPower » May 16th, 2021, 6:29 pm

wtf wrote:
Dohplaydat wrote:

We will definitely be locked down for most of July.
Before that hunger and poverty will become an issue. It's a balancing act.

We will be fine bro.

Trinis asses are happy.

Many people are home and getting paid, people have savings, people burrow, people beg, people steal, people get Govt help or they just find a way to wait it out.

Things nice in T&T…..you even hearing any boo from anyone bro?

The silence is acceptance.

Just wait and see when things open how bars, beaches, malls, KFC, doubles etc are going to be FULL with these SAME people who have no money.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » May 16th, 2021, 6:38 pm

right now lack of kfc is the biggest issue for a lot of ppl

aaron17

Postby aaron17 » May 16th, 2021, 7:09 pm

Yea i wanted to know what happens on a lockdown in other countries and if it brings down numbers. Will it be averaging about 100 everyday after the lockdown?

bluefete
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby bluefete » May 16th, 2021, 7:12 pm

Just heard:

Radio 104.7 will go on automatic transmission ONLY from 7:00 p.m. today, for one week, due to the high level of Covid-19 cases among its staff.

That is Robert Amar's station.

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”