TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

COVID-19 in Trinidad & Tobago (Local Updates & Discussions Only)

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

redmanjp
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: Coronavirus - COVID-19 - 15899 cases, 276 deaths, 5558 active, 10065 recovered in T&T

Postby redmanjp » May 17th, 2021, 12:32 pm

so unlike the other vaccines which give an almost 100% protection against hospitalization, sinopharm gives a 79% protection.
79% efficacy both against infection and hospitalization. glad mom got AZ. so even if 100% of high risk ppl are vaxxed with sinopharm 21% are still vulnerable- of course we not going to reach 100%.

btw ICU capacity is at 100% according to dr. richards :roll:

teems1
punchin NOS

Re: Coronavirus - COVID-19 - 15899 cases, 276 deaths, 5558 active, 10065 recovered in T&T

Postby teems1 » May 17th, 2021, 1:12 pm

redmanjp wrote:so unlike the other vaccines which give an almost 100% protection against hospitalization, sinopharm gives a 79% protection.
79% efficacy both against infection and hospitalization. glad mom got AZ. so even if 100% of high risk ppl are vaxxed with sinopharm 21% are still vulnerable- of course we not going to reach 100%.

At this point it's just to get whatever approved WHO vaccine we can.

The AZ supply intended for COVAX has endless issues due to India's mismanagement and huge demand. Other facilities in Europe are maxed out to get the majority of EU citizens vaccinated and their COVAX allocations well below what was expected.

Pfizer and Moderna have not yet been granted permission to sell to anyone outside the US.

K74T
TunerGod

Postby K74T » May 17th, 2021, 1:19 pm

Key Points from the Ministry of Health’s Virtual Media Conference on COVID-19 – Monday May 17th 2021

Attorney General Faris Al-Rawi attended today’s Virtual Media Conference to clarify matters surrounding the State of Emergency (SoE) and 9PM to 5AM curfew.

The AG said the State of Emergency is built on managing the current Public Health issues as it relates to COVID-19. This follows increases in deaths and Positive cases in the last few weeks. The AG stated that members of the Police Service and the Defence Force will be out and about in the State of Emergency as both carry police powers at this time. The Regulations will permit them to engage citizens, within the parameters of the law, to ensure compliance. He urged the public to comply with the law, and directions of the TTPS and TTDF.

Being out and about within the curfew hours is generally banned in most circumstances but the Commissioner of Police can give exceptions through Curfew Passes.

On the issue of exercising outdoors, the AG explained that it is the congregation of people that is being managed. While exercise is important, the measure was taken to reduce the number of people in public. He recommended exercising at home for the time being as it will not be a long-lasting situation.

AG Al-Rawi said the Regulations were very carefully drafted to manage a balance of rights and they are open to further restrictions and modifications. He urged people to be reasonable and not look for loopholes. He said, "This is not an opportunity for 'smartmanism' and 'smartwomanism.'"

AG Al-Rawi insisted there was no "SoE Stumble" in rolling out the Regulations, or unnecessary delay in issuing the Proclamation.

Health Minister Terrence Deyalsingh sought to clarify matters on the Pfizer and Sinopharm vaccines. On calls for the PM to have talks with Pfizer, the Health Minister said to do that would jeopardise the acquisition of vaccines. He said Prime Minister Dr. Keith Rowley, as CARICOM Chair, has always lobbied for the region to get vaccines. T&T has been engaged in three initiatives - COVAX, the African Union/African Medicines Council, and bilateral talks – to secure vaccines.

The Health Minister noted that vaccine supply is being outstripped by demand. This is mainly because of the health crisis in India, which has affected operations at the Serum Institute of India.

Health Minister reiterated that the Vaccine Programme has not stopped and the second round of AstraZeneca vaccinations will begin on June 6th. The Health Minister said, "We are well within the parameters of the expiry date to guarantee those 60,000 people who got their first shot of AstraZeneca to now get their second shot to take them up to full immunity.”

Minister Deyalsingh said no private sector company in T&T is having talks with any vaccine manufacturer anywhere in the world.

Chief Medical Officer Dr. Roshan Parasram is hopeful that T&T is at the peak of the third wave of COVID-19 infections, with a slowing/plateauing of cases in the coming days and weeks. He is hopeful the SoE measures will see a decrease in hospitalisations and T&T back on the path to normalcy.

T&T is on track to receive 100,000 doses of Sinopharm vaccines from China this week. Dr. Parasram noted that there are two Sinopharm COVID-19 vaccines in existence and T&T will be utilising the vaccine that was granted WHO Emergency Use Authorisation.

The intended use of the Sinopharm vaccine in persons (by the WHO):
- Ages 18 years and older
- Ages 60 years and older
- Persons with co-morbidities who are identified as having an increased risk of severe COVID-19
- Pregnant and lactating women (T&T will not be utilising this at this time)
- Persons living with HIV
- Immuno-compromised persons

The Sinopharm vaccine is stored at 2-8 degrees, and the second dose of the two-shot vaccine can be administered with an interval of 3-4 weeks (compared to 8-12 weeks with AstraZeneca).

Principal Medical Officer, Dr. Maryam Abdool-Richards, confirmed that there are 20 confirmed COVID-19 cases at Ward 9, St. Ann's Hospital. They are being isolated and treated at the institute at this time but will be transferred if their condition deteriorates.

Dr. Abdool-Richards stated that 10 beds were added to the UTT Valsayn Campus (step down facility) on Saturday, and 10 more beds are expected to be added today. She warned that bed capacity is not the answer since as fast as beds are allocated, they are being utilised.

Here is a breakdown of hospital occupancy level.
Caura: 86%
Augustus Long: 92%
Arima: 77%
Couva: 70%
St. Ann's: 100%
Tobago: 32%

Here is a breakdown of occupancy at the Step Down Facilities:
UTT: 100%
Debe Campus: 74%
Point Fortin: 40%

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » May 17th, 2021, 1:48 pm

teems1 wrote:
redmanjp wrote:so unlike the other vaccines which give an almost 100% protection against hospitalization, sinopharm gives a 79% protection.

The AZ supply intended for COVAX has endless issues due to India's mismanagement and huge demand. Other facilities in Europe are maxed out to get the majority of EU citizens vaccinated and their COVAX allocations well below what was expected.

Pfizer and Moderna have not yet been granted permission to sell to anyone outside the US.

Comparing efficacy ratings alone is a gross oversimplification. AZ and Sinopharm are similar in composition and performance according to the reviews of currently available data. The cause of the Seychelles Covid-19 spike is still indeterminate.

But if having AZ lets you sleep better at night, have at it.

-----

Vaccine efficacy is generally reported as a relative risk reduction (RRR). It uses the relative risk (RR)—ie, the ratio of attack rates with and without a vaccine—which is expressed as 1–RR. Ranking by reported efficacy gives relative risk reductions of 95% for the Pfizer–BioNTech, 94% for the Moderna–NIH, 90% for the Gamaleya, 67% for the J&J, and 67% for the AstraZeneca–Oxford vaccines. However, RRR should be seen against the background risk of being infected and becoming ill with COVID-19, which varies between populations and over time. Although the RRR considers only participants who could benefit from the vaccine, the absolute risk reduction (ARR), which is the difference between attack rates with and without a vaccine, considers the whole population. ARRs tend to be ignored because they give a much less impressive effect size than RRRs: 1·3% for the AstraZeneca–Oxford, 1·2% for the Moderna–NIH, 1·2% for the J&J, 0·93% for the Gamaleya, and 0·84% for the Pfizer–BioNTech vaccines.

ARR is also used to derive an estimate of vaccine effectiveness, which is the number needed to vaccinate (NNV) to prevent one more case of COVID-19 as 1/ARR. NNVs bring a different perspective: 76 for the Moderna–NIH, 78 for the AstraZeneca–Oxford, 80 for the Gamaleya, 84 for the J&J, and 117 for the Pfizer–BioNTech vaccines. The explanation lies in the combination of vaccine efficacy and different background risks of COVID-19 across studies: 0·9% for the Pfizer–BioNTech, 1% for the Gamaleya, 1·4% for the Moderna–NIH, 1·8% for the J&J, and 1·9% for the AstraZeneca–Oxford vaccines.

The lower the NNV and the higher the RRR, the better the vaccine efficacy.
Last edited by adnj on May 17th, 2021, 1:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.

st7
punchin NOS

Postby st7 » May 17th, 2021, 1:52 pm

K74T wrote:Key Points from the Ministry of Health’s Virtual Media Conference on COVID-19 – Monday May 17th 2021

Health Minister Terrence Deyalsingh sought to clarify matters on the Pfizer and Sinopharm vaccines. On calls for the PM to have talks with Pfizer, the Health Minister said to do that would jeopardise the acquisition of vaccines. He said Prime Minister Dr. Keith Rowley, as CARICOM Chair, has always lobbied for the region to get vaccines. T&T has been engaged in three initiatives - COVAX, the African Union/African Medicines Council, and bilateral talks – to secure vaccines.

The Health Minister noted that vaccine supply is being outstripped by demand. This is mainly because of the health crisis in India, which has affected operations at the Serum Institute of India.

Health Minister reiterated that the Vaccine Programme has not stopped and the second round of AstraZeneca vaccinations will begin on June 6th. The Health Minister said, "We are well within the parameters of the expiry date to guarantee those 60,000 people who got their first shot of AstraZeneca to now get their second shot to take them up to full immunity.”

Minister Deyalsingh said no private sector company in T&T is having talks with any vaccine manufacturer anywhere in the world.

is the first point a factual thing or another lie to ensure they make dey money while putting us at risk. Biden is due to announce countries who will receive vaccines

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... e-updates/

2WNBoost
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby 2WNBoost » May 17th, 2021, 1:58 pm

adnj wrote:
teems1 wrote:

Comparing efficacy ratings alone is a gross oversimplification. AZ and Sinopharm are similar in composition and performance according to the reviews of currently available data. The cause of the Seychelles Covid-19 spike is still indeterminate.

But if having AZ lets you sleep better at night, have at it.

-----

Vaccine efficacy is generally reported as a relative risk reduction (RRR). It uses the relative risk (RR)—ie, the ratio of attack rates with and without a vaccine—which is expressed as 1–RR. Ranking by reported efficacy gives relative risk reductions of 95% for the Pfizer–BioNTech, 94% for the Moderna–NIH, 90% for the Gamaleya, 67% for the J&J, and 67% for the AstraZeneca–Oxford vaccines. However, RRR should be seen against the background risk of being infected and becoming ill with COVID-19, which varies between populations and over time. Although the RRR considers only participants who could benefit from the vaccine, the absolute risk reduction (ARR), which is the difference between attack rates with and without a vaccine, considers the whole population. ARRs tend to be ignored because they give a much less impressive effect size than RRRs: 1·3% for the AstraZeneca–Oxford, 1·2% for the Moderna–NIH, 1·2% for the J&J, 0·93% for the Gamaleya, and 0·84% for the Pfizer–BioNTech vaccines.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanm ... 47(21)00069-0/fulltext#:~:text=Ranking%20by%20reported%20efficacy%20gives,for%20the%20AstraZeneca%E2%80%93Oxford%20vaccines.

2WNBoost
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby 2WNBoost » May 17th, 2021, 2:02 pm

st7 wrote:
K74T wrote:Key Points from the Ministry of Health’s Virtual Media Conference on COVID-19 – Monday May 17th 2021

is the first point a factual thing or another lie to ensure they make dey money while putting us at risk. Biden is due to announce countries who will receive vaccines

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... e-updates/

You will get your answer if you watch this.

elec2020
12 pounds of Boost

Postby elec2020 » May 17th, 2021, 2:05 pm

KM_2NR wrote:It took a SOE for Trini's to get with the program , if they can't listen they will feel as my dad would say. Was a fun lil drive to PoS , my job make me waste my time by coming to work , I gone. I sure other employers want staff to come out but according to legal notice 142 of 2021 a lot of people not supposed to be out and by the amount of cars I saw this morning people still coming out . Be safe y'all

some employers insist u still come out. I supposed to be in work today all now but I take a sick day. As much as I like to work hard if i pick up covid and dead, because i leave my bunker, my work place will send out a circular to other employees about my passing. The next week clear out my desk and after 2/3 weeks replace me. While my family have to take years to come to terms with my untimely demise. If anything this covid show is that management really don't give two sheits about you. All they want is for work to get done despite the costs.

widdyphuck
18 pounds of Boost

Postby widdyphuck » May 17th, 2021, 2:08 pm

This country slowly desending into chaos.
Best place to be is in your bunker.

redmanjp
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby redmanjp » May 17th, 2021, 2:08 pm

elec2020 wrote:
KM_2NR wrote:It took a SOE for Trini's to get with the program , if they can't listen they will feel as my dad would say. Was a fun lil drive to PoS , my job make me waste my time by coming to work , I gone. I sure other employers want staff to come out but according to legal notice 142 of 2021 a lot of people not supposed to be out and by the amount of cars I saw this morning people still coming out . Be safe y'all

some employers insist u still come out. I supposed to be in work today all now but I take a sick day. As much as I like to work hard if i pick up covid and dead, because i leave my bunker, my work place will send out a circular to other employees about my passing. The next week clear out my desk and after 2/3 weeks replace me. While my family have to take years to come to terms with my untimely demise. If anything this covid show is that management really don't give two sheits about you. All they want is for work to get done despite the costs.

private sector essential business?

MaxPower
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby MaxPower » May 17th, 2021, 2:17 pm

There are still too many cars on the road.

elec2020
12 pounds of Boost

Postby elec2020 » May 17th, 2021, 2:17 pm

redmanjp wrote:
elec2020 wrote:

Financial and insurance services. But I can do all my tasks remotely (in other words at home). Still, like most managements in the country, the relics (supervisors and managers) and them don't feel secure or that tasks getting done unless u in office and they breathing over your neck. Steupse. I would advise all if they can to insist to who you report to that you want to wfh. Idk what the issue is. Wfh was good whole of last year but it bad now? Also, we had almost 300-400 cases daily last week. Now is not the time to be playing around with your health. Limit outside movement.

elec2020
12 pounds of Boost

Postby elec2020 » May 17th, 2021, 2:19 pm

MaxPower wrote:There are still too many cars on the road.

no surprise. Imo the pandemic has shown that alot of people look for confirmation/joy in others. In other words, staying home by themselves come like a jail sentence so they keep on trying to get an escape (i.e. social interaction).

K74T
TunerGod

Postby K74T » May 17th, 2021, 2:35 pm

FB_IMG_1621275525958.jpeg

redmanjp
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby redmanjp » May 17th, 2021, 2:38 pm

elec2020 wrote:
redmanjp wrote:
elec2020 wrote:

Financial and insurance services. But I can do all my tasks remotely (in other words at home). Still, like most managements in the country, the relics (supervisors and managers) and them don't feel secure or that tasks getting done unless u in office and they breathing over your neck. Steupse. I would advise all if they can to insist to who you report to that you want to wfh. Idk what the issue is. Wfh was good whole of last year but it bad now? Also, we had almost 300-400 cases daily last week. Now is not the time to be playing around with your health. Limit outside movement.

are they at least rotating staff to allow for distancing? mask mandates?

widdyphuck
18 pounds of Boost

Postby widdyphuck » May 17th, 2021, 2:52 pm

Will our economy ever recover after all this lockdown?

2WNBoost
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby 2WNBoost » May 17th, 2021, 2:58 pm

New business opportunities will emerge

j.o.e
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby j.o.e » May 17th, 2021, 3:34 pm

wtf wrote:Will our economy ever recover after all this lockdown?

Will recover with a bang. Research how economies respond after major events like wars, pandemics etc.
People will want to spend and certain inputs will be cheap e.g rent.

hover11
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby hover11 » May 17th, 2021, 3:41 pm

You ever saw the price of anything decrease in trinidad it would appear to me Trinidad is immune to the law of economics
j.o.e wrote:

Will recover with a bang. Research how economies respond after major events like wars, pandemics etc.

Soul Collector
12 pounds of Boost

Postby Soul Collector » May 17th, 2021, 3:43 pm

K74T wrote:FB_IMG_1621275525958.jpeg

Took a SoE for them to put a halt to play whe lmao. I wonder if we could get the number of tickets bought for all their games during a set period to see how many people were flocking to play mark 4 times a day as opposed to how many people used it to pay bills.

From March 28th 2020 to June 1st 2020 NLCB recorded a loss of $400 MILLION when they shut down due to covid.
https://www.guardian.co.tt/news/nlcb-re ... 46b40cd23b

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » May 17th, 2021, 3:44 pm

so how to pay my flow bill ?

SuperiorMan
punchin NOS

Postby SuperiorMan » May 17th, 2021, 3:46 pm

hover11 wrote:You ever saw the price of anything decrease in trinidad it would appear to me Trinidad is immune to the law of economics
j.o.e wrote:

Wait nah this interesting....did the prices of stuff really ever decrease...maybe in the 90s?

Soul Collector
12 pounds of Boost

Postby Soul Collector » May 17th, 2021, 3:50 pm

pugboy wrote:so how to pay my flow bill ?

Like everyone else who doesn't go to a play whe booth to get their bills paid, I suppose.

elec2020
12 pounds of Boost

Postby elec2020 » May 17th, 2021, 3:52 pm

redmanjp wrote:
elec2020 wrote:
redmanjp wrote:
elec2020 wrote:

are they at least rotating staff to allow for distancing? mask mandates?

yes. But even so, just leaving your house is putting you at risk and as the PM said, if you can WFH then just do it. I do not see the need for employers (unless its like security, IT, accounts, those kind of sections that need to or can only operate in office) wanting staff on all levels to come out. I have a friend in a branch of a bank who told me that none of them on rotation. The argument is that they are a small branch and the office large enough for them to distance themselves.

j.o.e
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby j.o.e » May 17th, 2021, 3:53 pm

SuperiorMan wrote:
hover11 wrote:You ever saw the price of anything decrease in trinidad it would appear to me Trinidad is immune to the law of economics
j.o.e wrote:

Wait nah this interesting....did the prices of stuff really ever decrease...maybe in the 90s?

Who knows if it will last but commercial and residential rents are down and properties are down between 300k -500k
WFH, declining oil price and covid has taken the expat buyer/renter out of the residential market

elec2020
12 pounds of Boost

Postby elec2020 » May 17th, 2021, 4:08 pm

SuperiorMan wrote:
j.o.e wrote:

Trinidad and Tobago defies traditional economics due to the presence of the energy sector. For instance, prices haven't really dropped despite everything that going on as the major stakeholders (businesses, government, etc.) believe that energy prices/activity will recover soon so they don't have to address any shortcomings as these are only temporary. If you look back at our history thats something we always do. The only time we went against that notion was in the late 80s and early 90s but that was more or less because we didn't have a choice during that time. I think saying that we will recover with a bang is premature as, you can argue that we have been recovering since 2010 (our last year of significant (3.3 per cent mind you) growth). So if we can't get it right since then how will we get it right now when things even worse off. Also, imo we do not have the tools to really jumpstart the economy. As Dr. Attzs and Dr. Farrel put it we just hoping on some miracle (https://www.guardian.co.tt/news/economi ... 72b9252c46). In fact, recall that the Economic Recovery Team's main plan to jumpstart the economy was to revive the construction sector. A stupid recommendation as any economy lives/dies by how much forex it generates (as this impacts consumption, investment as well as ability to satisfy foreign debts when they fall due (as we saw with the Petrotrin bonds)). I have no clue if we as a country will ever see the heights we saw in the late 90s and early 2000s with respect to economic growth as imo: we have run out of ideas; we have no second sector to really call upon (and we are nowhere close to establishing that sector); we know the world is moving away from fossil fuels and the business sector has been decimated over the pandemic (which has yet to end/dissipate for us). We going to be on a rough path for the next few years as we try to find ourselves in this new world.

https://data.worldbank.org/indicator/NY ... cations=TT
for GDP data

l33t2
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby l33t2 » May 17th, 2021, 4:10 pm

j.o.e wrote:

Yes and no, it's a bit more complicated than that given our small island oil-dependent heavily subsidized economy.

The retail/entertainment side of the private sector, who were effectively shutdown will recover, but not with the 'bang' you want.

The major thing we need to think about with that is how people perceive the threat of covid, many vaccinated persons will still be cautious, especially if we depend mostly on the Sinopharm/AZ vaccines.

Habits have changed, e.g. lots of people who were gym-goers might never resume. Some people may choose to avoid crowded restaurants and bars. A lot of potential new limers might never get to start as well.

Our government subsidies will have to stop, oil and gas revenues are down by a lot and may never pick up given the surge in renewable energies and cheap oil and gas in the US.

Additionally, our forex shortage will kill a lot of businesses and send prices of imported goods up.

Government will have to makeup for this shortfall by introducing new taxes (re: property tax) and cutting a lot of subsized services.

This will drive the cost of goods up a lot.

Because there will be lots of unemployment, consumption of goods will also be down. This will create a chain reaction of negative growth in the private commercial sector.

Companies will have legit excuses to reduce salaries and cut staff, which happened a lot last year and expect more this year.

So in all, I'd say our future doesn't look great. It won't be a major economic crush but the easy money and purchasing power we once had will be eroded.

widdyphuck
18 pounds of Boost

Postby widdyphuck » May 17th, 2021, 4:24 pm

Numbers in
IMG-20210517-WA0097.jpeg

l33t2
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby l33t2 » May 17th, 2021, 4:31 pm

wtf wrote:Numbers inIMG-20210517-WA0097.jpeg

Highest Monday ever

Dohplaydat
punchin NOS

Postby Dohplaydat » May 17th, 2021, 4:39 pm

Summary Stats.

Testing still high, but we didn't get the Monday bulk update today, so can't say how high or if it's stabilized or decreasing.

7-Day Average for cases climbs and now is 442
7-Day Average for deaths climbs and now is 11.3

I think these figures will rise slightly, but level off this week as I suspect this is the peak and things should get better from here on.

Screenshot 2021-05-17 at 4.38.16 pm.png

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”