Forums

Giant African Snail?

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

j.o.e
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Re: Giant African Snail?

Postby j.o.e » July 30th, 2019, 7:54 pm

Is how men could bring politics in a snail thread. Man must be does hug up with dey gyul and Steupsing about Rowley and the PNM. Sadness yes

Zim
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby Zim » August 5th, 2019, 4:00 pm

pugboy wrote:Probably plenty garlic and butter
That is how the escargots normally are
I’ve had it before, not much taste in the meat
And feels soft and slippery like a mushroom

Slimey, yet satisfying lol

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » June 13th, 2021, 6:23 pm

Last edited by Rovin on June 13th, 2021, 7:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Chimera
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Chimera » June 13th, 2021, 6:35 pm

That will lay thousands of eggs and can also call meningitis. Use something and pick.it up and put in salt water to.die and then burn the body.

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » August 23rd, 2021, 6:07 pm

with d constant rain d past 2 wks it has either brought in or created ideal conditions for this snail in commercial areas of chaguanas , i am actually seeing them on pavements & side d road

i hope both d authorities & private citizens are doing their part because as if we dont have enough worries with covid this cud end up being an island-wide epidemic\pandemic too ... :crazyeyes:

hustla_ambition101
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby hustla_ambition101 » August 23rd, 2021, 7:00 pm

If they by you buy bait and sprinkle it around your premises. When the snail spread through the country the Ministry stopped buying tens of thousands in bail per month to try and control them.

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » August 23rd, 2021, 8:54 pm

govt give up on GAS long time. they will post out they lil commercials every so often, but is u to sort out urself...

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » August 23rd, 2021, 9:12 pm

this is what i heard from somebody who has d problem in their premises & actually working in min of agri , they said d govt ministry say they cyar see bout d whole country & how ppl hadda see bout it themselves ... wtmc eh , stuff like this in other countries its d duty of d govt dise why taxes are paid to protect against anything attacking its citizens , banana republic ftl

hustla_ambition101
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby hustla_ambition101 » August 23rd, 2021, 9:48 pm

I worked on the program some years ago so I know. Who moved soil and material from the Diego Martin area where it was first discovered? Residents. It spread to Foreshore, then Champ Fleurs, Orange Grove and also moved to Central and further East. To provide bait for evwry single household is not viable so they simply telling you collect, bleach, kill and burn them as they all over the country now.

Chimera
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Chimera » August 24th, 2021, 7:41 am

The fight is futile.
Unless whole areas get into it and spend the time and money behind the bait and actively picking up and killing them

These things evil. A padna lend me 4 pieces of 10 inch guttering to use as chutes for a concrete pour last week.

I had it on the ground for a day before I drop it back for him
When I drop it back and we offloading one by one...inside each one have 5 or 6 snails.
They Easily hitch a ride.
IMG-20210822-WA0022.jpg
IMG-20210823-WA0000.jpg
IMG-20210820-WA0059.jpg

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby timelapse » August 24th, 2021, 7:50 am

Forget bleach, I keep telling allyuh fellas to use laquer thinners in a spray bottle.They does sizzle with it.

meccalli
punchin NOS

Postby meccalli » August 24th, 2021, 8:51 am

Too bad trinis have a taste for manicou, if we had higher populations, they'd be all over eating snails. They love em and alot of other vermin like ticks, roaches, rats, snakes as well.

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » August 24th, 2021, 10:51 am

i did try bleach for my own learning , it stunned them for about an hr or 2 then d mc start back yes

somebody tell me malathion doh work , it will if u drop some pure on it for sure they dead but once diluted it only stunning them & they going again

i throw some paint thinners on 1 last wk but i wondering about lacquer thinners too - i will try dat

this morning i was wondering what about boiling water rather than a bunch of chemicals or bait , shud at least kill d very small 1s ??? ....

MG Man
2NRholic

Postby MG Man » August 24th, 2021, 10:55 am

so far that blue pellet snail bait seems to be working even for the tiny 2 and 3 mm ones

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby timelapse » August 24th, 2021, 10:57 am

Rovin wrote:i did try bleach for my own learning , it stunned them for about an hr or 2 then d mc start back yes

somebody tell me malathion doh work , it will if u drop some pure on it for sure they dead but once diluted it only stunning them & they going again

i throw some paint thinners on 1 last wk but i wondering about lacquer thinners too - i will try dat

this morning i was wondering what about boiling water rather than a bunch of chemicals or bait , shud at least kill d very small 1s ??? ....
What I did before was have a big bucket of water with chlorine powder in it.Toss them in there and leave it for a week.But the thinners works.The kind from car paint shops

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » August 24th, 2021, 11:02 am

i did buy a 900gm bag of pellets yesterday $65 but if u have good size yard & they randomly all over i will have to buy more

hoss me eh really want to pick up dem things nah not even with ah shovel

contact spray d small 1s mc & leave them to rot right dey - bigger 1s throw in garbage or send dem down d govt drain , yes i read they say mosquitoes cud breed in d empty shells ..
Last edited by Rovin on August 24th, 2021, 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

teems1
punchin NOS

Postby teems1 » August 24th, 2021, 11:03 am

meccalli wrote:Too bad trinis have a taste for manicou, if we had higher populations, they'd be all over eating snails. They love em and alot of other vermin like ticks, roaches, rats, snakes as well.

These snails are only edible if bred in captivity.

Wild snails carry parasites and worms which will seriously harm you.

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby timelapse » August 24th, 2021, 11:17 am

Rovin wrote:i did buy a 1lb bag of pellets yesterday $65 but if u have good size yard & they randomly all over i will have to buy more

hoss me eh want to pick up dem things nah not even with ah shovel , contact spray dmc & leave them to rot right dey , yea i know they say mosquitoes cud breed in d empty shells ..
Try the thinners and take a vid.it gross af to watch
Use a spray nozzle

meccalli
punchin NOS

Postby meccalli » August 24th, 2021, 11:36 am

teems1 wrote:
meccalli wrote:Too bad trinis have a taste for manicou, if we had higher populations, they'd be all over eating snails. They love em and alot of other vermin like ticks, roaches, rats, snakes as well.

These snails are only edible if bred in captivity.

Wild snails carry parasites and worms which will seriously harm you.

The possums/manicou would eat them, not us.

Side note however as you mentioned this , ALL wild snails can be vectors of parasites including the rodent lungworm that can cause meningitis. It's a matter of eating uncooked or undercooked snail meat. African snails make great pets and food, it's commonly consumed. Most people I imagine run the risk of contracting a parasitical infection eating lettuce that isn't properly disinfected. In fact i believe that an outbreak of rat lungworm occurred in jamaica for that reason.

Gladiator
punchin NOS

Postby Gladiator » August 24th, 2021, 11:41 am

Rovin wrote:i did try bleach for my own learning , it stunned them for about an hr or 2 then d mc start back yes

Did you soak them overnight in the bleach water? just a spray of bleach will not work.

dogg
Riding on 16's

Postby dogg » August 24th, 2021, 12:51 pm

The metaldehyde based pellets work pretty well for me. Any garden shop will have it.

Salt water in a spray bottle works, but you gotta go around seeking them out to douse em.

The pellets attracts them. After ingestion, they die in a couple hours.

Sprinkle 1/ 2 teaspoon around in a few areas and you'll get rid of a lot of them.

But once an area is infected, you'll keep getting them unless the neighbours also treat their yards.

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » August 24th, 2021, 2:59 pm

Gladiator wrote:

Did you soak them overnight in the bleach water? just a spray of bleach will not work.

nah , i tried pouring pure bleach over a few of them

like i said i throw pure malathion on a few big 1s & they dead within minutes ...

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » August 24th, 2021, 3:32 pm

dogg wrote:The metaldehyde based pellets work pretty well for me. Any garden shop will have it.

Salt water in a spray bottle works, but you gotta go around seeking them out to douse em.

The pellets attracts them. After ingestion, they die in a couple hours.

Sprinkle 1/ 2 teaspoon around in a few areas and you'll get rid of a lot of them.

But once an area is infected, you'll keep getting them unless the neighbours also treat their yards.

a few people post up their trial of the pellets, different branding but same active ingredient. and it seemed to do the trick.

all those spray chemicals u have to go round and attack the snails urself. but with the pellets, its a passive measure. u put it and establish a perimeter, then pass the next morning to collect the carcasses.
and u only need to put when u detect them returning. and after a short while, all in the immediate area gets killed off, so u have a time until they reestablish a population, to come back,

sam1978
Riding on 16's

Postby sam1978 » August 24th, 2021, 8:46 pm

I saw a video of a giant African snail today. Shameless ,with a red woman and a B14.

tropi_flakes
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby tropi_flakes » August 24th, 2021, 11:00 pm

Salt water works well for me, I kill at least 10 a day in st augustine on our compound.

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » August 24th, 2021, 11:21 pm

I saw 3 tiny snails in my yard on Thursday night gone. I picked them up with a scoop and threw them in a drain. Feeling kinda stupid knowing now that it may be young African snails. I'll be sure to kill them next time I see them again. Thanks for the heads up.

Chimera
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Chimera » August 25th, 2021, 6:45 am

These are some rambutan trees I plant in buckets to catch themselves before putting in the ground.
IMG-20210825-WA0000.jpg

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » August 25th, 2021, 11:08 am

well i bought d snail bait on monday & sprinkled some & yesterday too , this morning i see a few dead 1s & it look like d poison makes them melt up & ooze out - ewww ... i was skeptical if they wud eat it but i glad to see u buy something that works as advertised

it resembles d sprinkles u put on cakes so if u have lil kids around keep it far from them or warn them if they see it on d ground that its poison ...

*KRONIK*
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *KRONIK* » August 25th, 2021, 11:12 am

Rovin wrote:well i bought d snail bait on monday & sprinkled some & yesterday too , this morning i see a few dead 1s & it look like d poison makes them melt up & ooze out - ewww ... i was skeptical if they wud eat it but i glad to see u buy something that works as advertised

it resembles d sprinkles u put on cakes so if u have lil kids around keep it far from them or warn them if they see it on d ground that its poison ...
This seems to be working good
My parents had a slug problem
All over the yard/walls
They put out this and all disappeared since

dogg
Riding on 16's

Postby dogg » August 25th, 2021, 11:37 am

Yeah, that's the same one I use.

It beats going around with a spray bottle searching for snails!!

The snail is attracted to whatever bait they mix in that!

100% would reccomend.

Check the packaging to make sure that METALDEHYDE is the active ingredient!

Rovin wrote:well i bought d snail bait on monday & sprinkled some & yesterday too , this morning i see a few dead 1s & it look like d poison makes them melt up & ooze out - ewww ... i was skeptical if they wud eat it but i glad to see u buy something that works as advertised

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”