Re: Giant African Snail?

Postby antlind » July 4th, 2022, 5:24 pm

https://www.cnn.com/2022/07/03/us/giant ... index.html

Seems as though others are also suffering from these pests

Drea
Sweet on this forum

Postby Drea » July 5th, 2022, 10:52 pm

Phone Surgeon wrote:Alot of people aren't taking on the advice to kill the snails. They really just lobbing them over the fence lol.

By me it real sickening right now.

I've taken plastic and wrapped it around the fruit trees and smeared the plastic with thick grease.
Those fawkers climbing up the grass next to the fruit trees and climbing onto the trees . Didnt get to control grass in a while because of the rain

So today took a walk to my backyard and happened to look on the cherry tree and saw clusters of these mfers just hanging. The tree has no fruit and is overrun with a wild vine we just about set the damn tree on fire. It’s tiring we walk around every night and morning checking for these pests and since the rains started last few weeks the numbers we keep seeing are ridiculous.

Central is definitely infested bad and a lot of where I see them in my area ppl aren’t treating it and some of the properties are elderly folks who I know ain’t doing sheit. There’s one house on particular their entire outside wall is covered.

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » July 6th, 2022, 9:02 am

They climb up sweet fruit trees and suck the sap branches. You will find them in the crook of branches. I even found them on the coconut trees high up. They will eventually kill the tree if you don't deal with them as recommended by the Ministry of Agriculture.

The advantage you have is that they're attracted to waste and rotten smells. So it easy to bait them overnight. And then keep putting more for 2 weeks. The eggs look like tiny yellow aspirin pills.

MG Man
2NRholic

Postby MG Man » July 6th, 2022, 9:08 am

Drea wrote:
Phone Surgeon wrote:Alot of people aren't taking on the advice to kill the snails. They really just lobbing them over the fence lol.

By me it real sickening right now.

I've taken plastic and wrapped it around the fruit trees and smeared the plastic with thick grease.
Those fawkers climbing up the grass next to the fruit trees and climbing onto the trees . Didnt get to control grass in a while because of the rain

So today took a walk to my backyard and happened to look on the cherry tree and saw clusters of these mfers just hanging. The tree has no fruit and is overrun with a wild vine we just about set the damn tree on fire. It’s tiring we walk around every night and morning checking for these pests and since the rains started last few weeks the numbers we keep seeing are ridiculous.

Central is definitely infested bad and a lot of where I see them in my area ppl aren’t treating it and some of the properties are elderly folks who I know ain’t doing sheit. There’s one house on particular their entire outside wall is covered.

the snail bait poison has proven very effective for me in keeping them under control i my yard, especially as nobody else around seems to give a fk
I sprinkle the stuff in front my front wall regularly, and the front yard
Easier than tring to deal with it when it gets outta hand

Drea
Sweet on this forum

Postby Drea » July 6th, 2022, 3:53 pm

I’ve been doing the baiting periodically but I have dogs and try not to put it around areas they frequent. Also with the rains I think the bait is washed away

Chimera
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Chimera » July 6th, 2022, 4:02 pm

Drea wrote:I’ve been doing the baiting periodically but I have dogs and try not to put it around areas they frequent. Also with the rains I think the bait is washed away
Get some pieces of 4 inch pvc and put the bait in the middle.

The dogs shouldn't be able to reach it and it will keep the bait dry

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » July 6th, 2022, 4:08 pm

i do that with peanut butter rat poison stations too, cut a lil hole above and sticky tape a piece of soft drink bottle as window to see
also glue some bits to prevent it from rolling

*KRONIK*
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *KRONIK* » July 6th, 2022, 10:45 pm

So i discovered something today
"Strong ammonia" with a spray nozzle

Found a 2" bugger today on my garage gate
Didnt have time to go look for tongs and chlorine.

I zap him with 2 nice squirts
He just went into shock and fall off the gate and hit the ground. Shell cracked

I went out for like 5hrs, and came back and find it in the same spot it fell, so i guess ammonia is an option.

If anybody get similar results, lemme know

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby timelapse » July 7th, 2022, 7:14 am

*KRONIK* wrote:So i discovered something today
"Strong ammonia" with a spray nozzle

Found a 2" bugger today on my garage gate
Didnt have time to go look for tongs and chlorine.

I zap him with 2 nice squirts
He just went into shock and fall off the gate and hit the ground. Shell cracked

I went out for like 5hrs, and came back and find it in the same spot it fell, so i guess ammonia is an option.

If anybody get similar results, lemme know
Can confirm that this works .Vinegar, acetone, muriatic acid,strong ammonia .I am assuming that it is both extremely high and extremely low ph chemicals will work.If anybody has access to concentrated citric acid, lemme know if it works.I'm going to experiment with a seaweed extract this weekend, provided I get some sargassum on the beach

MG Man
2NRholic

Postby MG Man » July 7th, 2022, 8:03 am

Drea wrote:I’ve been doing the baiting periodically but I have dogs and try not to put it around areas they frequent. Also with the rains I think the bait is washed away

nah the blue pellets don't wash away with rain
I sprinkled some on Tuesday night, and after a night of hard rain, they're stil there
I prefer it to ammonia, cuz that's nasty stuff
The blue pellets kill them pretty effectively. By the morning, whoever was hiding in the grass was dead on spot

daring dragoon
18 pounds of Boost

Postby daring dragoon » July 7th, 2022, 9:46 am

Anyone getting problems with iguanas eating everything? How to get rid of them?

*KRONIK*
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *KRONIK* » July 7th, 2022, 10:42 am

daring dragoon wrote:Anyone getting problems with iguanas eating everything? How to get rid of them?
Shoot iguana
Cook iguana

Problem solved

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby timelapse » July 7th, 2022, 12:21 pm

daring dragoon wrote:Anyone getting problems with iguanas eating everything? How to get rid of them?
Diazanon deters them

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » July 7th, 2022, 12:33 pm

huh, how iguana living long for it to be a problem is a strange thing especially with d way trinis does hunt down dem tings ...

gastly369
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby gastly369 » July 7th, 2022, 12:42 pm

nervewrecker wrote:
DMan7 wrote:What are you all doing about the lizard invasion? There are way too man lizards around the house these past few years.
Cats....

lizards I don't mind, but I have a bird problem.

These birds does swarm the cats and mess on my door handles. They have mastered the art of messing under the door handle now.
Cover side mirrors with a bag...they would stop

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » July 7th, 2022, 11:07 pm

gastly369 wrote:
nervewrecker wrote:
DMan7 wrote:What are you all doing about the lizard invasion? There are way too man lizards around the house these past few years.
Cats....

lizards I don't mind, but I have a bird problem.

These birds does swarm the cats and mess on my door handles. They have mastered the art of messing under the door handle now.
Cover side mirrors with a bag...they would stop
Cover the windscreen too?

Now done wash and plack's, one load straight in the center.

These birds bottom have aim like the Port of Spain pigeons. They does wait till people passing and drop it dead center on their head.

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 88sins » July 8th, 2022, 10:31 am

pm me your location

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » August 4th, 2022, 6:06 pm

perfect weather for snails , all this rain bringing dem in d drains & they sneaking into ur place

just lacquer thinner instant death some of dem , rain water is too much right now for snail pellets ....

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby timelapse » August 4th, 2022, 6:09 pm

Rovin wrote:perfect weather for snails , all this rain bringing dem in d drains & they sneaking into ur place

just lacquer thinner instant death some of dem , rain water is too much right now for snail pellets ....
You feel like an evil psychopath with that thinner ent? I does laugh maniacally

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » August 4th, 2022, 6:15 pm

i doh really like to kill anything but this is necessary , instant results yo ...

*KRONIK*
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *KRONIK* » August 4th, 2022, 9:21 pm

Rovin wrote:perfect weather for snails , all this rain bringing dem in d drains & they sneaking into ur place

Boi
Failure with this rain
Had a upsurge of 1-2" sized snails over the last 2-3 days

I put out some heavy snail bait in an open area, i counted about 20 in a 12x12 area, all were paralized, but alive

I end up having to pick up all and amd soak in clorox
All were alive
It seems a snake was affected too, not sure if he bite the snail or something, but he was rel moving ½dead. He get a clorox bath also.

Them ting rel stressin me out yes

*KRONIK*
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *KRONIK* » August 4th, 2022, 9:24 pm

I realize from previous bait applications, the sun/heat is needed to calatlyze the dehydration process.
The bait like it stun them, but the rain revive them

bluefete
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby bluefete » August 5th, 2022, 3:54 am

Paint thinner? Seriously? That really works?

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » August 5th, 2022, 4:00 am

using a covered bait station like the rat poison ones used by pest control places won’t help to keep dry?

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby timelapse » August 5th, 2022, 6:42 am

bluefete wrote:

Only lacquer thinner or any kind of strong acetone.It sizzles up

*KRONIK*
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *KRONIK* » August 5th, 2022, 6:53 am

pugboy wrote:using a covered bait station like the rat poison ones used by pest control places won’t help to keep dry?
I dont think that was the issue,
The bait doesnt melt, cuz some fell in the drain and with all this rain, they were solid still.

I think what happened was that the snails ate the bait, got weak/sick/poisoned and the rain helped them revive.

VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby VexXx Dogg » August 5th, 2022, 9:21 am

table salt too. I drop a pot spoon of salt on a small one about 1" and that was it for him.

Honestly I need a combination of strategies because down my side infested, ting crawling up people house and nobody taking action. When I see it in the yard, I try to kill them with whatever home materials I have.

Need some dog safe bait.

MG Man
2NRholic

Postby MG Man » August 5th, 2022, 9:31 am

*KRONIK* wrote:
pugboy wrote:using a covered bait station like the rat poison ones used by pest control places won’t help to keep dry?
I dont think that was the issue,
The bait doesnt melt, cuz some fell in the drain and with all this rain, they were solid still.

I think what happened was that the snails ate the bait, got weak/sick/poisoned and the rain helped them revive.

I found 3 of them stunned o Wednesday morning, as a result of snail bait. I left them there and went to work. Came back home and the were dead. Not sure what the connection is between the rain and time to die, but they definitely died within the day
I've accepted that the only solution is to now budget snail bait into my monthly expenses and keep sprinkling it, because my yard will be snail free for a while, but soon as bait gone and rains come, they return. Sometimes just one bugger will sneak in and drop eggs unnoticed, and then randomly I'll find hundreds of tiny ones all over the front yard

*KRONIK*
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *KRONIK* » August 5th, 2022, 10:25 am

I have always had success with the bait
The only factor that changed is the heavy rains.
So i think the rains somehow revived them

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » August 5th, 2022, 10:31 am

timelapse wrote:
bluefete wrote:

Only lacquer thinner or any kind of strong acetone.It sizzles up

yea mamoo blue , it hadda be lacquer thinner though not regular house oil paint thinner , is times on here who told me bout d lacquer thinner , when u drop it on them u actually hear a painful noise - INSTANT DEATH they dont move a mm again

u guys shud try d lacquer thinner for instant results , u dont need to buy a high grade as econo grade will work which is about $60-80 gallon & it goes a long way ...

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”