leavingforgood
Street 2NR

Re: Leaving Trinidad for good...

Postby leavingforgood » July 29th, 2022, 11:43 am

AlphaMan wrote:
leavingforgood wrote:
AlphaMan wrote:
leavingforgood wrote:

You cant really blame those UWI students because some of them are alcohol/party addicts and cant think straight.
And yes many persons in Trinidad including those with Masters Degrees living paycheck to paycheck but they too ashamed to speak about it.

Is that $5000 USD yours or did you apply for it from RBL?

I think many of those students also live in households where that mentality is celebrated. It's sad.

$5000USD? :lol: I applied for $500USD and I finally got it sent this morning after losing my cool and "pulling rank" at the branch on Tuesday. I don't understand why customer service people in Trinidad like to be treated like they are less than in order to provide decent service. I don't have the energy to be in a constant battle for simple s*it. The money came out from a TTD account going to a USD account abroad.

I have a second wire transfer pending for Euros and I'm already gearing myself up to show up angry at the branch. Maybe I'm too soft for this place for expecting decent customer service without the added layer of drama.

triniterribletim
Sweet on this forum

Postby triniterribletim » July 29th, 2022, 11:53 am

leavingforgood wrote:
AlphaMan wrote:
leavingforgood wrote:
AlphaMan wrote:
leavingforgood wrote:

You cant really blame those UWI students because some of them are alcohol/party addicts and cant think straight.
And yes many persons in Trinidad including those with Masters Degrees living paycheck to paycheck but they too ashamed to speak about it.

I think many of those students also live in households where that mentality is celebrated. It's sad.

$5000USD? :lol: I applied for $500USD and I finally got it sent this morning after losing my cool and "pulling rank" at the branch on Tuesday. I don't understand why customer service people in Trinidad like to be treated like they are less than in order to provide decent service. I don't have the energy to be in a constant battle for simple s*it. The money came out from a TTD account going to a USD account abroad.

I have a second wire transfer pending for Euros and I'm already gearing myself up to show up angry at the branch. Maybe I'm too soft for this place for expecting decent customer service without the added layer of drama.

This is definitely one thing I don't miss about Trinidad. Buying USD or Euros here in Brazil is as simple as tapping a few things in your bank's app and transferring to another account or picking up cash at the physical location of your choice the next day. You don't have to make a request and wait weeks or months on top of furnishing a binder full of invoices or airline tickets.

MaxPower
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby MaxPower » July 29th, 2022, 12:07 pm

De Dragon wrote:Iz how every time Inferior Woman and Max Caxx get bobolized dey does call for calm :lol: :lol:

DeFitzgerald,

Check back your posts, you were constantly whining about being “ganged” up on.

I called for calm for you as you were becoming unstable and losing your self control.

Just accept the sympathy extended and move on na.

I told you already stop acting like a little woman and cut out the teeny bopper mentality right now for me.

SuperiorMan
punchin NOS

Postby SuperiorMan » July 29th, 2022, 12:09 pm

De Dragon wrote:Iz how every time Inferior Woman and Max Caxx get bobolized dey does call for calm :lol: :lol:

Hey man, sup

Why you always cry like a lil pantyman so much.

SuperiorMan
punchin NOS

Postby SuperiorMan » July 29th, 2022, 12:11 pm

leavingforgood wrote:
AlphaMan wrote:
leavingforgood wrote:
AlphaMan wrote:
leavingforgood wrote:

This is Trinidad for you lol.

hover11
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby hover11 » July 29th, 2022, 12:20 pm

SuperiorMan wrote:
leavingforgood wrote:
AlphaMan wrote:
leavingforgood wrote:
AlphaMan wrote:
leavingforgood wrote:

$5000USD? I applied for $500USD and I finally got it sent this morning after losing my cool and "pulling rank" at the branch on Tuesday. I don't understand why customer service people in Trinidad like to be treated like they are less than in order to provide decent service. I don't have the energy to be in a constant battle for simple s*it. The money came out from a TTD account going to a USD account abroad.

This is Trinidad for you lol.
That's trinidad politics for you, the government implemented that policy through central banks to other banks as a way to artificially curb forex demand on the small man

leavingforgood
Street 2NR

Postby leavingforgood » July 29th, 2022, 12:21 pm

triniterribletim wrote:
leavingforgood wrote:
AlphaMan wrote:
leavingforgood wrote:
AlphaMan wrote:
leavingforgood wrote:

This is definitely one thing I don't miss about Trinidad. Buying USD or Euros here in Brazil is as simple as tapping a few things in your bank's app and transferring to another account or picking up cash at the physical location of your choice the next day. You don't have to make a request and wait weeks or months on top of furnishing a binder full of invoices or airline tickets.

I've never understood why they don't allow you to request foreign wire transfers using online banking. Having to go in person is so inconvenient. And to think Trinidadians look down on many of the South American countries, meanwhile it seems every South American country is focused on advancement while Trinidad is focused on Sushila and Camille.

AlphaMan
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby AlphaMan » July 29th, 2022, 1:58 pm

leavingforgood wrote:
triniterribletim wrote:
leavingforgood wrote:
AlphaMan wrote:
leavingforgood wrote:
AlphaMan wrote:
leavingforgood wrote:

I've never understood why they don't allow you to request foreign wire transfers using online banking. Having to go in person is so inconvenient. And to think Trinidadians look down on many of the South American countries, meanwhile it seems every South American country is focused on advancement while Trinidad is focused on Sushila and Camille.

The country is being governed by old pharts who dont care anything about modern technology.
Even Rowley admitted he doesnt know how the use the ATM...go figure.
I hope you make it out. Hell I hope I do..
Just want to buss it from here... Country is a serious cesspit
:evilbat: :oops:

triniterribletim
Sweet on this forum

Postby triniterribletim » July 29th, 2022, 2:37 pm

leavingforgood wrote:
triniterribletim wrote:
leavingforgood wrote:
AlphaMan wrote:
leavingforgood wrote:
AlphaMan wrote:
leavingforgood wrote:

People think it's weird that I chose Brazil over a North American or European country, and apart from my wife being from there, there are a few compelling arguments that could make a move there a compelling proposition.

1) Brazil isn't so fully developed that it has become dependent on outsourced manufacturing and there's a lot of land so agriculture of all types is still practiced.
Machinery, cars, electronics, pharmaceuticals, foodstuff, drinks, clothing. All manufactured locally. So insulated against most sorts of supply shocks.
2) The cost of living is cheaper than Trinidad, with decent living options in safe residential areas for a fraction of what it would cost in T&T. Cheap utilities and the fuel price is about at parity with TT's or just a little above. The Brazilian real isn't worth much more than a TT dollar ( 1 BRL = 1.31 TTD ) so there's no major conversion shock as with USD, CAD, Euros or Pounds.
3) Due to the large amount of immigration, Southern Brazil is like a microcosm of Europe and Japan all in one. You can go to a Japanese Matsuri or German Oktoberfest or a Polish Christmas market or even an American Southern barbeque and these will be just as good as they are in their respective countries.
4) Brazil has a rapidly growing economy and is the place to be if you want to get in on the ground floor of the next big thing. There are huge tech startups, heavy equipment manufacturing and the third largest civilian aerospace company after Boeing and Airbus ( Embraer ). There are opportunities to make something of yourself that just don't exist in Trinidad, but with a lower barrier to entry than you may face in the first world.
5) Ease of access to other countries ( though not necessarily back to Trinidad ). You can fly almost anywhere relatively cheaply from Sao Paulo International. It's cheaper to go to Paris or Rome or to Seoul or Tokyo than to get back to POS. Easy to see the world from without a bunch of weird connections and expensive tickets.
6) The relatively similar culture and climate. It's not as huge of a culture shock and the climate isn't all that dissimilar either, though the seasons are the inverse of North America and it can get down to the single degrees at this time of year, but put another way, you only have to have A/C for half the year or so.

There's a whole world out there for Trinis to stake a claim in and if we're the supposedly smart and adventurous people we claim to be, we can make it almost anywhere.

MaxPower
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby MaxPower » July 29th, 2022, 2:48 pm

triniterribletim wrote:There's a whole world out there for Trinis to stake a claim in and if we're the supposedly smart and adventurous people we claim to be, we can make it almost anywhere.

I agree.

Once they leave behind their typical stink Trini mentality and the littering they would be fine.

Very few of them around though, the rest of them just pretending and making a mess of things.

AlphaMan
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby AlphaMan » July 29th, 2022, 4:02 pm

triniterribletim wrote:
leavingforgood wrote:
triniterribletim wrote:
leavingforgood wrote:
AlphaMan wrote:
leavingforgood wrote:
AlphaMan wrote:
leavingforgood wrote:

People think it's weird that I chose Brazil over a North American or European country, and apart from my wife being from there, there are a few compelling arguments that could make a move there a compelling proposition.

1) Brazil isn't so fully developed that it has become dependent on outsourced manufacturing and there's a lot of land so agriculture of all types is still practiced.
Machinery, cars, electronics, pharmaceuticals, foodstuff, drinks, clothing. All manufactured locally. So insulated against most sorts of supply shocks.
2) The cost of living is cheaper than Trinidad, with decent living options in safe residential areas for a fraction of what it would cost in T&T. Cheap utilities and the fuel price is about at parity with TT's or just a little above. The Brazilian real isn't worth much more than a TT dollar ( 1 BRL = 1.31 TTD ) so there's no major conversion shock as with USD, CAD, Euros or Pounds.
3) Due to the large amount of immigration, Southern Brazil is like a microcosm of Europe and Japan all in one. You can go to a Japanese Matsuri or German Oktoberfest or a Polish Christmas market or even an American Southern barbeque and these will be just as good as they are in their respective countries.
4) Brazil has a rapidly growing economy and is the place to be if you want to get in on the ground floor of the next big thing. There are huge tech startups, heavy equipment manufacturing and the third largest civilian aerospace company after Boeing and Airbus ( Embraer ). There are opportunities to make something of yourself that just don't exist in Trinidad, but with a lower barrier to entry than you may face in the first world.
5) Ease of access to other countries ( though not necessarily back to Trinidad ). You can fly almost anywhere relatively cheaply from Sao Paulo International. It's cheaper to go to Paris or Rome or to Seoul or Tokyo than to get back to POS. Easy to see the world from without a bunch of weird connections and expensive tickets.
6) The relatively similar culture and climate. It's not as huge of a culture shock and the climate isn't all that dissimilar either, though the seasons are the inverse of North America and it can get down to the single degrees at this time of year, but put another way, you only have to have A/C for half the year or so.

There's a whole world out there for Trinis to stake a claim in and if we're the supposedly smart and adventurous people we claim to be, we can make it almost anywhere.

Check your Inbox. :fadein:

TheBoostLord
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby TheBoostLord » July 29th, 2022, 10:07 pm

been living in Texas 6 months now and I have never used cash for anything. not even once. I kinda forget it exists tbh. Once I withdrew for a family member then I remembered how much of a hassle it was to get usd in trini, and I procured it in seconds from a drive through atm. it really makes you appreciate what you have so much more having had to struggle. that's why immigrants will beat back locals most of the time.

Rory Phoulorie
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby Rory Phoulorie » July 30th, 2022, 1:36 am

TheBoostLord wrote:been living in Texas 6 months now and I have never used cash for anything. not even once. I kinda forget it exists tbh. Once I withdrew for a family member then I remembered how much of a hassle it was to get usd in trini, and I procured it in seconds from a drive through atm. it really makes you appreciate what you have so much more having had to struggle. that's why immigrants will beat back locals most of the time.

Unless you are buying stuff from some small shop or from some roadside vendor, generally, you can easily go for months without using cash in T&T.

I am not quite understanding what analogy you are trying to make with:
. . .Once I withdrew for a family member then I remembered how much of a hassle it was to get usd in trini, and I procured it in seconds from a drive through atm.

You are in the USA, you went to a drive through there and you got US$. If I am in T&T, I go to an ATM, I am getting TT$ without any issues. Or is it you were in T&T, went to a drive through ATM and got US$ without any issues?

TheBoostLord
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby TheBoostLord » July 30th, 2022, 1:48 am

Rory Phoulorie wrote:
TheBoostLord wrote:been living in Texas 6 months now and I have never used cash for anything. not even once. I kinda forget it exists tbh. Once I withdrew for a family member then I remembered how much of a hassle it was to get usd in trini, and I procured it in seconds from a drive through atm. it really makes you appreciate what you have so much more having had to struggle. that's why immigrants will beat back locals most of the time.

Unless you are buying stuff from some small shop or from some roadside vendor, generally, you can easily go for months without using cash in T&T.

. . .Once I withdrew for a family member then I remembered how much of a hassle it was to get usd in trini, and I procured it in seconds from a drive through atm.

You are in the USA, you went to a drive through there and you got US$. If I am in T&T, I go to an ATM, I am getting TT$ without any issues. Or is it you were in T&T, went to a drive through ATM and got US$ without any issues?

I wasn't really clear in my writing. Basically I was just comparing how much of a fight up it is to get usd in Trinidad vs elsewhere. Getting usd from Trini banks seem like you are committing a sin. Like its this big bad wolf and only a very small elite group can handle it, no one else is worthy. For a while I'd forgotten how much of a struggle it was till I had those $100 bills in hand. Yes in the usa this is what they use and its nothing special, and that's the point: its nothing special. In many other countries its just foreign currency which can be accessed easily as was explained before in Brazil. I dont usually put down Trinidad but their economic policies are 100% trash.

The Bamboo Online
3NE 2NR for life

Postby The Bamboo Online » July 30th, 2022, 8:30 am

People go on spending spree’s here in the states during tax time…I Was kinda shocked how much I got back. Just from declaring official income. in NY my federal tax returns this year was pretty large.

I also do lots of under the table work as well which I get to keep all off which is as big as my official yearly income.

Dave
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Dave » July 30th, 2022, 8:49 am

There is also a tax free time going on now for the pre back to school shopping.

Chimera
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Chimera » July 30th, 2022, 11:11 am

plenty of our USD cash is leaving the country to go to venezuela
Venezuelans openly pay $8 tt for 1 USD so they can send back abroad

watch this ONE woman they catch with 60k USD

imagine how much of them get through without being caught as well as how much leaves by pirogue/boat

https://www.tv6tnt.com/news/local/venez ... 0b1a0.html

A Venezuelan woman who was trying to get back to her homeland, was arrested after she was allegedly found to have over USD$60,000 and $20,000 Bolivars strapped to her body.

According to police, security officials were on duty at the Piarco International Airport last Wednesday when they observed bulges on the woman's waist.

Upon checking, she was found to be wearing a waist trainer which stuffed with USD$67,970 and $27,120 Bolivars.

Investigations are continuing.

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » July 30th, 2022, 11:53 am

Trinidad receives an estimated US$150 million in remittances each year. In Trinidad, about 40% of all foreign exchange is used on vehicles, vehicle parts, fuels and lubes.

hover11
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby hover11 » July 30th, 2022, 12:00 pm

adnj wrote:Trinidad receives an estimated US$150 million in remittances each year. In Trinidad, about 40% of all foreign exchange is used on vehicles, vehicle parts, fuels and lubes.
Yet you can't get US dollars from the banks unless you willing to wait in line everyday or willing to use the black market which was created to fulfill your needs

MaxPower
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby MaxPower » July 30th, 2022, 12:06 pm

Phone Surgeon wrote:plenty of our USD cash is leaving the country to go to venezuela
Venezuelans openly pay $8 tt for 1 USD so they can send back abroad

watch this ONE woman they catch with 60k USD

imagine how much of them get through without being caught as well as how much leaves by pirogue/boat

https://www.tv6tnt.com/news/local/venez ... 0b1a0.html

A Venezuelan woman who was trying to get back to her homeland, was arrested after she was allegedly found to have over USD$60,000 and $20,000 Bolivars strapped to her body.

According to police, security officials were on duty at the Piarco International Airport last Wednesday when they observed bulges on the woman's waist.

Upon checking, she was found to be wearing a waist trainer which stuffed with USD$67,970 and $27,120 Bolivars.

Investigations are continuing.

Investigations need to be vigorously pursued and the persons responsible for this need to be dealt with severely.

Our Venezuelan sisters are being advantaged and exploited and this nonsense must stop.

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » July 30th, 2022, 12:38 pm

hover11 wrote:
adnj wrote:Trinidad receives an estimated US$150 million in remittances each year. In Trinidad, about 40% of all foreign exchange is used on vehicles, vehicle parts, fuels and lubes.
Yet you can't get US dollars from the banks unless you willing to wait in line everyday or willing to use the black market which was created to fulfill your needs
Really? I've never experienced this.

hover11
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby hover11 » July 30th, 2022, 9:01 pm

adnj wrote:
hover11 wrote:
Well then similar to that of politicians you seem to have a total disconnect from what’s happening on the ground.

RedVEVO
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby RedVEVO » July 30th, 2022, 9:10 pm

TheBoostLord wrote:
Rory Phoulorie wrote:

I wasn't really clear in my writing. Basically I was just comparing how much of a fight up it is to get usd in Trinidad vs elsewhere. Getting usd from Trini banks seem like you are committing a sin. Like its this big bad wolf and only a very small elite group can handle it, no one else is worthy. For a while I'd forgotten how much of a struggle it was till I had those $100 bills in hand. Yes in the usa this is what they use and its nothing special, and that's the point: its nothing special. In many other countries its just foreign currency which can be accessed easily as was explained before in Brazil. I dont usually put down Trinidad but their economic policies are 100% trash.

Economic policies are weak . Possible cause are weak exports , balance of payment deficit etc.

However in T&T it's due mainly to capital flight .

There is apparently NO CONFIDENCE in the people to keep $$ in T&T since with heavy taxation and hight cost of living and rampart corruption - people want to run away :lol:

As you should know NOBODY wants TT Dollars so T&T peeps covert their TT Dollars into any other currency and leave :D

SuperiorMan
punchin NOS

Postby SuperiorMan » July 30th, 2022, 9:27 pm

adnj wrote:
hover11 wrote:

lmao.

De Dragon
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby De Dragon » July 31st, 2022, 1:03 pm

hover11 wrote:

Even that is being discouraged. I went in and they're giving me just $500, the day before I fly out :?

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby timelapse » July 31st, 2022, 1:35 pm

triniterribletim wrote:
leavingforgood wrote:
triniterribletim wrote:
leavingforgood wrote:
AlphaMan wrote:
leavingforgood wrote:
AlphaMan wrote:
leavingforgood wrote:

$5000USD? I applied for $500USD and I finally got it sent this morning after losing my cool and "pulling rank" at the branch on Tuesday. I don't understand why customer service people in Trinidad like to be treated like they are less than in order to provide decent service. I don't have the energy to be in a constant battle for simple s*it. The money came out from a TTD account going to a USD account abroad.

In my younger days, I probably would have stayed in Brazil for a few years to study capoeira properly.Nice country, the carnival ain't for me, and I am deadly afraid of the Amazon rainforest animals.

Kickstart
Riding on 16's

Postby Kickstart » July 31st, 2022, 4:24 pm

timelapse wrote:
triniterribletim wrote:
leavingforgood wrote:
triniterribletim wrote:
leavingforgood wrote:
AlphaMan wrote:
leavingforgood wrote:
AlphaMan wrote:You cant really blame those UWI students because some of them are alcohol/party addicts and cant think straight.

In my younger days, I probably would have stayed in Brazil for a few years to study capoeira properly.Nice country, the carnival ain't for me, and I am deadly afraid of the Amazon rainforest animals.
We have more dangerous human animals in Trinidad bro

DMan7
punchin NOS

Postby DMan7 » July 31st, 2022, 4:25 pm

The fact that this thread exists and is at 31 pages should speak volumes.

Dohplaydat
punchin NOS

Postby Dohplaydat » August 1st, 2022, 9:34 pm

DMan7 wrote:The fact that this thread exists and is at 31 pages should speak volumes.

It does, but I'd like to mention that going away, making big money, seeing the world etc is amazing. But you will get homesick.

As much as we bad talk Trinidad (because we do have rel problems here), it is home and it's a unique vibrant culture that let's admit, is pretty nice.

I left for 4-5 years, worked in the UK with small stints in the US, Mexico and Portugal. I don't regret it. It was amazing to experience.

But be prepared to realize there are things unique to T&T that you will miss. And you will probably long to come back.

st7
punchin NOS

Postby st7 » August 1st, 2022, 9:48 pm

food is the number thing for me lol

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”