Forums

Leaving Trinidad for good...

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

i_code_and_stuff
Street 2NR

Re: Leaving Trinidad for good...

Postby i_code_and_stuff » June 21st, 2021, 7:25 pm

Sissy wrote:Yikes. Is that all software engineers here make?

I got into CS at a Uni in the States. I was thinking of coming back here after finishing and a few years experience. Is the quality of life really that bad in Trini for software engineers? Wondering about it now.

On average yeah. Try to avoid the field in TT, unless its a government position

Penguin
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Penguin » June 21st, 2021, 7:32 pm

i_code_and_stuff wrote:

I got into CS at a Uni in the States. I was thinking of coming back here after finishing and a few years experience. Is the quality of life really that bad in Trini for software engineers? Wondering about it now.

Depends on where u working, I have friends in Digicel and Guardian Life who make decent money 20-30k.

I just got the short end of the stick because I didn't go UWI and there's kind of a ranking thing in Trinidad where Software Engineers tend to only hire those who went UWI.

I get it to an extent because my degree is Computing and Information Systems which is more of an IT-type degree, whereas UWI's Comp Sci is more mathematical.

I can code fairly well, but algorithms, maths and them sheit is something I stay away from.

Coding is more of self-taught field, Universities can only teach theory and thinking, but to be a good coder u need to practice.

Sissy
Street 2NR

Postby Sissy » June 21st, 2021, 7:41 pm

Penguin wrote:
i_code_and_stuff wrote:

Depends on where u working, I have friends in Digicel and Guardian Life who make decent money 20-30k.

I just got the short end of the stick because I didn't go UWI and there's kind of a ranking thing in Trinidad where Software Engineers tend to only hire those who went UWI.

I get it to an extent because my degree is Computing and Information Systems which is more of an IT-type degree, whereas UWI's Comp Sci is more mathematical.

I can code fairly well, but algorithms, maths and them sheit is something I stay away from.

Coding is more of self-taught field, Universities can only teach theory and thinking, but to be a good coder u need to practice.

So what kind of salary would someone who went to a top 50 US school (not Ivy league but between 40-50) for cS be looking at if they came back to Trinidad?

Would UWI graduates still be preferred over them?

i_code_and_stuff
Street 2NR

Postby i_code_and_stuff » June 21st, 2021, 7:47 pm

Penguin wrote:Depends on where u working, I have friends in Digicel and Guardian Life who make decent money 20-30k.

Yeah, it does depend, but on average most people are going to be making less than 20k throughout their career. It's really sad.

Digicel pays alright compared to the norm here, but one is still way better off applying to work remotely for foreign companies.

Penguin wrote:I can code fairly well, but algorithms, maths and them sheit is something I stay away from.

Yeah whenever someone mentions not being proficient at those things, I tend to just say that if you're not applying to FAANG companies, then those things rarely, if ever, matter

The Bamboo Online
3NE 2NR for life

Postby The Bamboo Online » June 21st, 2021, 7:47 pm

Penguin wrote:
i_code_and_stuff wrote:

I have friends who make $20k-$30k TTD equivalent per month using DoorDash and Uber type apps on the side for a few hours a day. While still working professional jobs for the extra perks. If you are willing to work hard the sky is the limit. You won’t have to do it forever

AlphaMan
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby AlphaMan » June 21st, 2021, 8:13 pm

Wraith King wrote:Trinidad is a great and lovely country.

A significant number of its citizens, not so.

The PNM portion is who you are referring to.

Wraith King
Riding on 18's

Postby Wraith King » June 21st, 2021, 8:32 pm

AlphaMan wrote:

Who's that Pokemon?

I'm thinking SuperiorMan/RedVEVO/WhiteAnalyst/SissyGirl/MaxPower.

AlphaMan
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby AlphaMan » June 21st, 2021, 8:36 pm

Wraith King wrote:
AlphaMan wrote:

Who's that Pokemon?

Who dem people? :roll:

Wraith King
Riding on 18's

Postby Wraith King » June 21st, 2021, 8:51 pm

AlphaMan wrote:
Wraith King wrote:
AlphaMan wrote:

Who's that Pokemon?

Who dem people? :roll:

You with different names.

WhiteAnalyst
Street 2NR

Postby WhiteAnalyst » June 21st, 2021, 8:59 pm

Wraith King/AlphaMan is Zoom.

A user named "Sissy" buss his files and they ban some of the accounts....so he creating more and more accounts apparently.

Wraith King
Riding on 18's

Postby Wraith King » June 21st, 2021, 9:15 pm

WhiteAnalyst wrote:Wraith King/AlphaMan is Zoom.

A user named "Sissy" buss his files and they ban some of the accounts....so he creating more and more accounts apparently.

Let's report this to the mod.

AlphaMan
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby AlphaMan » June 21st, 2021, 9:20 pm

Wraith King wrote:

Who is zoom?

Wraith King
Riding on 18's

Postby Wraith King » June 21st, 2021, 9:21 pm

The schizophrenia is strong.

WhiteAnalyst
Street 2NR

Postby WhiteAnalyst » June 21st, 2021, 9:40 pm

Wraith King wrote:

lol last time this man say this he collect a ban. I real laughing at this one.

AlphaMan
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby AlphaMan » June 22nd, 2021, 4:41 pm

Trinidad gone to the dogs. No hope for tomorrow. Time to leave if you really serious.

Sissy
Street 2NR

Postby Sissy » June 22nd, 2021, 4:56 pm

AlphaMan wrote:Trinidad gone to the dogs. No hope for tomorrow. Time to leave if you really serious.

Where you planning to go zoom?

AlphaMan
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby AlphaMan » June 22nd, 2021, 4:59 pm

Sissy wrote:
AlphaMan wrote:Trinidad gone to the dogs. No hope for tomorrow. Time to leave if you really serious.

I dont know who is zoom.
Anywhere better than Trinidad.

Sissy
Street 2NR

Postby Sissy » June 22nd, 2021, 5:03 pm

AlphaMan wrote:
Sissy wrote:

I dont know who is zoom.

lol. Thanks for the laugh.

AlphaMan
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby AlphaMan » June 23rd, 2021, 3:32 pm

Sissy wrote:
AlphaMan wrote:
Sissy wrote:

I dont know who is zoom.

lol. Thanks for the laugh.

Only a crazy person laughs at their own jokes... :shock: :roll:

TheBoostLord
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby TheBoostLord » July 3rd, 2021, 10:18 pm

Bordersss

Kenjo
punchin NOS

Postby Kenjo » July 4th, 2021, 7:09 am

Flying out is so much easier now so all the best guys . Any follow ups on persons who got through to leave already . ?possible pathways to assists others ?

Dohplaydat
punchin NOS

Postby Dohplaydat » July 4th, 2021, 7:45 am

What are the easiest countries for educated trinis to get work visas?

Blaze d Chalice
Riding on 17's

Postby Blaze d Chalice » July 4th, 2021, 10:53 am

If you are from TT you choices are pretty limited to USA/Can/UK.
If you took the time during the last few years with Vene influx and Covit lockdowns to revise/learn your Spanish, you would have the whole of South/Central America/Mexico/Spain.
Same with Chinese/China/Madarin.

No fixed answer.

Spain, Germany is strict afaik especially with all the middle east rapefugees and yet I was able to get one for Germany the midst of all that raping years ago, and one for Spain for a Venezuelan a short while before border close.

Tomorrow is the day (trini time zone) and already the 'locals' start to yap and make noise.

One kakahole mampi talking bout how we "favoring certain people because of their looks/complexion/race"
And how "bess she dye she hair and bleach skin and put contacts and she might get a holiday in Spain too"

Is it a stupid decision to send a Spanish-speaking person to a Spanish-speaking country?
Or should we have sent Mampi instead who doesn't speak a word of Spanish?
And whose fault it is that "Isabella" is more efficient and works faster than them?
Even when she have to work using English she does a better job than the local (trinis) english speakers, so if she finishes the work early and decides to use the remainder of time as holiday, what is wrong with that?
Ent the work getting done? Or when she finish she must stick up inside the room until the day of return flight

Not sure if I mentioned it pages ago, but If you have the $$$ you could buy Portugal/EU citizenship with their Golden Visa. You still have to stay a certain time.

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » July 4th, 2021, 11:02 am

Dohplaydat wrote:What are the easiest countries for educated trinis to get work visas?
If you graduate in the UK you can work for two years after. Have a UWI degree, then go do a UK masters and that gives you access for the 2 year work visa. After the 2 year work visa you can then apply for permanent residency. Lots of paper work if you really want it.

Or you can join the Army to access the UK as a commonwealth citizen. I have known one former police officer that joined the UK navy 15 years ago and got his permanent residency via the navy.

Having education opens the doors for you. There are loads of other decent counties that has the education access policy.

I got access to the UK via my former job and had easy access to UK residency. Loads of other Trinis that went with me took up the residency and ending up staying. They all brought their own homes and settled. But hardened me love the rum shops here .

The only country I really considered was the Cayman Islands, but I went in the wrong era.

Blaze d Chalice
Riding on 17's

Postby Blaze d Chalice » July 4th, 2021, 11:16 am

Wrt my last post.

The Golden Visa is an investment based residency programme through which more than 25 000 non-EU citizens have already been granted a Portuguese residency permit. The investor and family are instantly allowed to travel to and between the 27 Schengen Area’s countries. The investment paves the way to the Portuguese Passport and EU residency.

https://iberiscapital.com/portugal-golden-visa-fund/

***Starting at €350,000***
So you could skip out on the Prado and G63 and put the money to better use.

The Bamboo Online
3NE 2NR for life

Postby The Bamboo Online » July 4th, 2021, 12:08 pm

Happy Independence Day......

to my fellow Greencard toting Trinituners

Where we watching fireworks later guise ?

The American version of the Golden Visa Trump raised it from $500,000USD to anywhere between $900,000 - $1,800,000USD

RedVEVO
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby RedVEVO » July 4th, 2021, 1:25 pm

zoom rader wrote:
Dohplaydat wrote:What are the easiest countries for educated trinis to get work visas?
If you graduate in the UK you can work for two years after. Have a UWI degree, then go do a UK masters and that gives you access for the 2 year work visa. After the 2 year work visa you can then apply for permanent residency. Lots of paper work if you really want it.

Or you can join the Army to access the UK as a commonwealth citizen. I have known one former police officer that joined the UK navy 15 years ago and got his permanent residency via the navy.

Having education opens the doors for you. There are loads of other decent counties that has the education access policy.

I got access to the UK via my former job and had easy access to UK residency. Loads of other Trinis that went with me took up the residency and ending up staying. They all brought their own homes and settled. But hardened me love the rum shops here .

The only country I really considered was the Cayman Islands, but I went in the wrong era.

UK is a melting pot of different peeps - fantastic place :D

NOW for the young peeps - translation - in the age bracket - Under 32

If you OVER 35 - Your life is over . So we talking the ME TOO Generation .

Work permit after studies is a good approach . You can pay small $$ and get it.

After 2 years study - You should meet your Bride .

ALL Trini women know this formula - the Trini men dunce :roll:

Then live and travel and stay away from T&T :angel:

SuperiorMan
punchin NOS

Postby SuperiorMan » July 4th, 2021, 7:39 pm

Do trinis in the states/canada live a better life?

The Bamboo Online
3NE 2NR for life

Postby The Bamboo Online » July 5th, 2021, 8:47 am

Landed here 2 years ago and now I have a large 2 family house in a peaceful neighborhood, the tenants rent pays my mortgage. I drive a new Chevy Suburban. With all my success in T&T I would not have progressed this far in 2 years and I am not even working as hard.

Dohplaydat
punchin NOS

Postby Dohplaydat » July 5th, 2021, 9:56 am

Looking at options besides the UK, I've already got a UK masters and worked there before, life is utterly depressing there.

Thinking about the US or Canada now, not to migrate just to work.

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”