Leaving Trinidad for good...

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Dohplaydat
punchin NOS

Re: Leaving Trinidad for good...

Postby Dohplaydat » August 1st, 2022, 9:56 pm

st7 wrote:food is the number thing for me lol

I did miss the food, but I cooked most of it myself up there so it was never a huge problem. Just couldn't get shadow beni in Tesco, had to substitute with coriander.

Also, another thing to consider is that you have a support structure (family and friends) in T&T. Without that safety net you are quite vulnerable.

triniterribletim
Sweet on this forum

Postby triniterribletim » August 1st, 2022, 10:15 pm

Dohplaydat wrote:
st7 wrote:food is the number thing for me lol

I did miss the food, but I cooked most of it myself up there so it was never a huge problem. Just couldn't get shadow beni in Tesco, had to substitute with coriander.

Also, another thing to consider is that you have a support structure (family and friends) in T&T. Without that safety net you are quite vulnerable.

Definitely do miss the food. Sometimes I wake up feeling to eat a hot doubles on a Sunday morning, or a chicken roti and then I remember that the nearest ones are two flights away in Suriname. That puts a stop to the cravings pretty quick. Apart from that, most ingredients are available here and I can cook the other things I miss. May try a YouTube doubles recipe one day.

SuperiorMan
punchin NOS

Postby SuperiorMan » August 1st, 2022, 10:20 pm

everyone is different. I know people who left for the US, did well and never wanted to go back.

TheBoostLord
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby TheBoostLord » August 1st, 2022, 11:10 pm

Dohplaydat wrote:
DMan7 wrote:The fact that this thread exists and is at 31 pages should speak volumes.

It does, but I'd like to mention that going away, making big money, seeing the world etc is amazing. But you will get homesick.

As much as we bad talk Trinidad (because we do have rel problems here), it is home and it's a unique vibrant culture that let's admit, is pretty nice.

I left for 4-5 years, worked in the UK with small stints in the US, Mexico and Portugal. I don't regret it. It was amazing to experience.

But be prepared to realize there are things unique to T&T that you will miss. And you will probably long to come back.

you can always visit. no reason to move back.

Dohplaydat
punchin NOS

Postby Dohplaydat » August 2nd, 2022, 7:45 am

TheBoostLord wrote:
Dohplaydat wrote:
DMan7 wrote:The fact that this thread exists and is at 31 pages should speak volumes.

It does, but I'd like to mention that going away, making big money, seeing the world etc is amazing. But you will get homesick.

As much as we bad talk Trinidad (because we do have rel problems here), it is home and it's a unique vibrant culture that let's admit, is pretty nice.

I left for 4-5 years, worked in the UK with small stints in the US, Mexico and Portugal. I don't regret it. It was amazing to experience.

But be prepared to realize there are things unique to T&T that you will miss. And you will probably long to come back.

you can always visit. no reason to move back.

I visited at least once sometimes twice a year. It helps but also makes it harder in a way too.

RedVEVO
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby RedVEVO » August 2nd, 2022, 10:12 am

SuperiorMan wrote:everyone is different. I know people who left for the US, did well and never wanted to go back.

Yes everyone is different - specifically relating to T&T peeps now !
But also young people are different from old people - in T&T nowadays .

In the old fart days many people left for education and came back to T&T for many reasons - mainly parents pressure or not able to integrate successfully or refusing to get in that mindset !

Nowadays the young people see a better future out of T&T and stay abroad - they are comfortable and have successfully integrated .

Sometimes known as the "brain drain" by the old timer politicians - they even try to take away your T&T Citizenship to victimize you ! Ask your older folks/family who live abroad !!

If you want to experience a real life - travel and work abroad - do it now and plan your future in foreign !

leavingforgood
Street 2NR

Postby leavingforgood » August 5th, 2022, 10:18 am

triniterribletim wrote:
leavingforgood wrote:
People think it's weird that I chose Brazil over a North American or European country, and apart from my wife being from there, there are a few compelling arguments that could make a move there a compelling proposition.

1) Brazil isn't so fully developed that it has become dependent on outsourced manufacturing and there's a lot of land so agriculture of all types is still practiced.
Machinery, cars, electronics, pharmaceuticals, foodstuff, drinks, clothing. All manufactured locally. So insulated against most sorts of supply shocks.
2) The cost of living is cheaper than Trinidad, with decent living options in safe residential areas for a fraction of what it would cost in T&T. Cheap utilities and the fuel price is about at parity with TT's or just a little above. The Brazilian real isn't worth much more than a TT dollar ( 1 BRL = 1.31 TTD ) so there's no major conversion shock as with USD, CAD, Euros or Pounds.
3) Due to the large amount of immigration, Southern Brazil is like a microcosm of Europe and Japan all in one. You can go to a Japanese Matsuri or German Oktoberfest or a Polish Christmas market or even an American Southern barbeque and these will be just as good as they are in their respective countries.
4) Brazil has a rapidly growing economy and is the place to be if you want to get in on the ground floor of the next big thing. There are huge tech startups, heavy equipment manufacturing and the third largest civilian aerospace company after Boeing and Airbus ( Embraer ). There are opportunities to make something of yourself that just don't exist in Trinidad, but with a lower barrier to entry than you may face in the first world.
5) Ease of access to other countries ( though not necessarily back to Trinidad ). You can fly almost anywhere relatively cheaply from Sao Paulo International. It's cheaper to go to Paris or Rome or to Seoul or Tokyo than to get back to POS. Easy to see the world from without a bunch of weird connections and expensive tickets.
6) The relatively similar culture and climate. It's not as huge of a culture shock and the climate isn't all that dissimilar either, though the seasons are the inverse of North America and it can get down to the single degrees at this time of year, but put another way, you only have to have A/C for half the year or so.

There's a whole world out there for Trinis to stake a claim in and if we're the supposedly smart and adventurous people we claim to be, we can make it almost anywhere.

This is such a great breakdown of Brazil that I have never even imagined. I will be honest and say that I have always had a biased view of Brazil based on its portrayal in movies and tv shows. I think it's time to take the plank out of my eye and the chip off my shoulder and look outside the usual USA, Canada, Europe bubble.

As a hopeful real estate developer, it also helps that Brazil is so much bigger than Trinidad. I'm sure in a few years many of Brazil's cities would be highly developed.

For those interested in financials, like myself, Brazil's tax rates are:

Corporate
Brazil 15%
Trinidad 30%

Income Tax
Brazil 7.5% - 27.5%
Trinidad 25% - 30%

Property Tax
Brazil 0.6% - 1.4%
Trinidad 3% - 6%

I'll update the list with more when I do more research.

leavingforgood
Street 2NR

Postby leavingforgood » August 5th, 2022, 10:36 am

RedVEVO wrote:
SuperiorMan wrote:everyone is different. I know people who left for the US, did well and never wanted to go back.

In the old fart days many people left for education and came back to T&T for many reasons - mainly parents pressure or not able to integrate successfully or refusing to get in that mindset !

Nowadays the young people see a better future out of T&T and stay abroad - they are comfortable and have successfully integrated .

Sometimes known as the "brain drain" by the old timer politicians - they even try to take away your T&T Citizenship to victimize you ! Ask your older folks/family who live abroad !!

If you want to experience a real life - travel and work abroad - do it now and plan your future in foreign !

As a young trini I have had my fill of this country and I'm ready to leave and never look back. However, I do know a few young people who moved back after college to work at their family companies and are happy to live here.

I firmly believe that those happy with staying in Trinidad are those who lack the type of ambition you see in other cultures like the US. They are satisfied with getting paid $30,000ttd a month for doing almost nothing at their family's business, living in an apartment in the west, and traveling to the US or Europe once or twice a year.

While that is not a bad life for most and I'm sure many in this thread would be satisfied staying in Trinidad if that was their lives, that life is not for me. Call me an evil capitalist but I want more. Not just for myself, but for my future children.

RedVEVO
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby RedVEVO » August 5th, 2022, 3:35 pm

leavingforgood wrote:
RedVEVO wrote:

As a young trini I have had my fill of this country and I'm ready to leave and never look back. However, I do know a few young people who moved back after college to work at their family companies and are happy to live here.

I firmly believe that those happy with staying in Trinidad are those who lack the type of ambition you see in other cultures like the US. They are satisfied with getting paid $30,000ttd a month for doing almost nothing at their family's business, living in an apartment in the west, and traveling to the US or Europe once or twice a year.

While that is not a bad life for most and I'm sure many in this thread would be satisfied staying in Trinidad if that was their lives, that life is not for me. Call me an evil capitalist but I want more. Not just for myself, but for my future children.

Yup - good thinking :D Too many sufferers in T&T

While many T&T may disagree - money IS everything - and it keeps evil away :lol:
Trinidad is in a backward - moon walking - motion and the ONLY reason to stay is if you making good $$$$ :D

If you under 40 leave and go foreign - you can always do a back and forth - but do not make T&T your primary .

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby timelapse » August 5th, 2022, 7:10 pm

RedVEVO wrote:
leavingforgood wrote:
RedVEVO wrote:

While many T&T may disagree - money IS everything - and it keeps evil away
Trinidad is in a backward - moon walking - motion and the ONLY reason to stay is if you making good $$$$ :D

If you under 40 leave and go foreign - you can always do a back and forth - but do not make T&T your primary .
QFT.I used to say stay and build the place.Eff that.This current government will sink this country into the waves

unimatrix-001
Street 2NR

Postby unimatrix-001 » August 5th, 2022, 11:08 pm

timelapse wrote:QFT.I used to say stay and build the place.Eff that.This current red government will sink this country into the waves

Correction in d honour of zoom...

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby timelapse » August 6th, 2022, 8:47 am

unimatrix-001 wrote:
timelapse wrote:QFT.I used to say stay and build the place.Eff that.This current red government will sink this country into the waves

Both of effing them.PP missed the opportunity for long term development in lieu of puff pieces.I expected better.All that talk of constitutional reform.Up in smokes.I hate all politicians equally and the sheep that keep kissing their arse .
Where corruption becomes norm, resistance is your duty.Eff all of them.

hover11
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby hover11 » August 6th, 2022, 8:53 am

timelapse wrote:
unimatrix-001 wrote:

Both of effing them.PP missed the opportunity for long term development in lieu of puff pieces.I expected better.All that talk of constitutional reform.Up in smokes.I hate all politicians equally and the sheep that keep kissing their arse .
You have to admit though PP did alot more than the sheit we currently have that was offered two consecutive terms

Mmoney607
30 pounds of Boost

Postby Mmoney607 » August 6th, 2022, 9:31 am

hover11 wrote:
timelapse wrote:
unimatrix-001 wrote:

You have to admit though PP did alot more than the sheit we currently have that was offered two consecutive terms

Ay, I send you a pm

jhonnieblue
Riding on 18's

Postby jhonnieblue » August 6th, 2022, 9:34 am

hover11 wrote:
timelapse wrote:
unimatrix-001 wrote:

Your real stupid for that statement. The amount of corruption that happened because if ALL political parties resulted in the sh!thole that is this country today.
Only mindless sheep with no future makes statements like that.
But that's the average Trinidadian for you. Glad I'm getting out soon. The only good thing here is carnival. I'll be back for that. Otherwise it's just a cesspit of corruption

hover11
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby hover11 » August 6th, 2022, 9:42 am

jhonnieblue wrote:
hover11 wrote:
timelapse wrote:
unimatrix-001 wrote:

Your real stupid for that statement. The amount of corruption that happened because if ALL political parties resulted in the sh!thole that is this country today.
But that's the average Trinidadian for you. Glad I'm getting out soon. The only good thing here is carnival. I'll be back for that. Otherwise it's just a cesspit of corruption
Where did I say any political party was innocent and corruption free? Learn to read before you put on your panties and get emotional. I said PP accomplished more than the PNM did with Two consecutive terms. Better take some ALTA classes before you fly out uncle Sam doesn't want any dotish MCs in his country before you get deported

RedVEVO
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby RedVEVO » August 6th, 2022, 9:52 am

hover11 wrote:
jhonnieblue wrote:
hover11 wrote:
timelapse wrote:
unimatrix-001 wrote:

Where did I say any political party was innocent and corruption free? Learn to read before you put on your panties and get emotional. I said PP accomplished more than the PNM did with Two consecutive terms. Take ALTA classes before you fly out uncle Sam doesn't want any dotish MCs in his country before you get deported

There is Carnival in London and Miami and New York .
And beaches and parks and etc., etc. Doubles, roti, black pudding etc.

Foreign Trini Carnivals : It's safe well organized and you meet many Trinis who are not xenophobes etc. :D
There is always Carib to drink.

And Uncle Sam does not deport peeps with panties and emotional issues . People are integrated .
There is tolerance and understand .Most of the so-called protests and etc., are well controlled and does not affect all and every community.

And it all depends where you reside and how you integrate with your friends, co-wokers, biz peeps and community.

jhonnieblue
Riding on 18's

Postby jhonnieblue » August 6th, 2022, 12:26 pm

hover11 wrote:
jhonnieblue wrote:
hover11 wrote:
timelapse wrote:
unimatrix-001 wrote:

Where did I say any political party was innocent and corruption free? Learn to read before you put on your panties and get emotional. I said PP accomplished more than the PNM did with Two consecutive terms. Better take some ALTA classes before you fly out uncle Sam doesn't want any dotish MCs in his country before you get deported
Dixk was, you seem to have zero political understanding about corruption to believe that statement. But I expect nothing more from a unc sheep. They were just better at stealing without the public finding out that's all. More was done smh, if you look at trini and boast about that statement, you are an idoit. This country is real crap all around.

And not everyone immigrates to the states cnthole.

jhonnieblue
Riding on 18's

Postby jhonnieblue » August 6th, 2022, 12:26 pm

So easy to get you keyboard warriors all emotional

hover11
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby hover11 » August 6th, 2022, 12:53 pm

Again simple English, cuz it seems your lack of understanding and basic command of the English language is at level much to be desired. We wouldn't suffer any type of brain drain should you leave. Anyway, my point was to emphasize that no political party is innocent, no party in the WORLD is innocent or corruption free, my Point is that I can see the list of achievements that the PP did in their single term, while I see absolutely NOTHING that the PNM has done with their TWO consecutive terms in power. Don't hadda be a UNC or PNM to notice what blatant.

Read slowly and understand before you reply ....please I begging you.

st7
punchin NOS

Postby st7 » August 6th, 2022, 1:03 pm

hovee why u always fighting with somebody and complaining on every ched?

see about your mental health and stop projecting.

hover11
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby hover11 » August 6th, 2022, 1:05 pm

st7 wrote:hovee why u always fighting with somebody and complaining on every ched?

Show me your doctorate in psychology or save it and STFU cuz as far as I can see NOBODY was speaking to you

st7
punchin NOS

Postby st7 » August 6th, 2022, 1:10 pm

hover11 wrote:
st7 wrote:hovee why u always fighting with somebody and complaining on every ched?

Show me your doctorate in psychology or save it and STFU cuz as far as I can see NOBODY was speaking to you

show me your doctorate in economics, immunology, virology, and political science first.

not gonna respond to u in this ched after this so don't reply, and keep the spam/fighting/complaining down because you're emotional please and thank you

Dohplaydat
punchin NOS

Postby Dohplaydat » August 6th, 2022, 1:47 pm

RedVEVO wrote:
leavingforgood wrote:
RedVEVO wrote:

While many T&T may disagree - money IS everything - and it keeps evil away :lol:

Going away for money is a good idea eh.

And leaving trini when you don't have much connections to the place is easy (say at 18 leaving to go study). Once you can adapt and learn a new culture, you'd integrate easily, whether it be US, Canada or the UK. Definitely more challenging in non-english speaking places, but possible still.

Leaving in your 30s or late 20s is a different story. I left when was 28 and spent 6 years in the UK. I enjoyed my time there and made a lot of money (enough to buy a townhouse in the west without borrowing).

But you miss T&T, I not gonna lie, those 6 years was hard. I missed my family, friends, my ex, my cousins, weddings, funerals, limes, beach, tobago, food, rum, carnival, fetes, liming after work, all fours.......it's not easy.

I don't regret coming back one bit though, I held many top jobs in T&T when I got back, right now I'm working mostly part-time and bringing home over $40k a month with my consultancy. That would never have been possible if I didn't get this experience in the UK.

Despite all the sheit that happens in Trinidad, I am far happier here than I was in the UK.
Last edited by Dohplaydat on August 6th, 2022, 2:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » August 6th, 2022, 1:53 pm

Hoover loves to fight.
Hoover is shaking a fist in the air with one hand and beating off under the computer desk with the other.
Hoover gets creamy when he gets negative attention.

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » August 6th, 2022, 2:17 pm

This is how i does picture hover11 on these forums, audio and all:
phpBB [media]

https://i.imgur.com/4IlrjHi.mp4

hover11
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby hover11 » August 6th, 2022, 2:51 pm

adnj wrote:Hoover loves to fight.
Hoover is shaking a fist in the air with one hand and beating off under the computer desk with the other.
You claim to be this intellectual so I guess you would have heard this saying,

Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people. You and your cohort can't seem to keep my name out of your mouths on a daily basis. Glad to know that I live in your head rent free. :S

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » August 6th, 2022, 3:01 pm

hover11 wrote:
adnj wrote:Hoover loves to fight.
You claim to be this intellectual so I guess you would have heard this saying,

Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people. You and your cohort can't seem to keep my name out of your mouths on a daily basis. Glad to know that I live in your head rent free. :S

Hoover just got creamy! LOL

MaxPower
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby MaxPower » August 6th, 2022, 3:11 pm

hover11 wrote:

Hahaha yunno!

I don’t think anyone here knows who stD really is….poor fella like he don’t exist lol

st7
punchin NOS

Postby st7 » August 6th, 2022, 3:19 pm

Dohplaydat wrote:
RedVEVO wrote:
leavingforgood wrote:
RedVEVO wrote:

While many T&T may disagree - money IS everything - and it keeps evil away

Going away for money is a good idea eh.

And leaving trini when you don't have much connections to the place is easy (say at 18 leaving to go study). Once you can adapt and learn a new culture, you'd integrate easily, whether it be US, Canada or the UK. Definitely more challenging in non-english speaking places, but possible still.

Leaving in your 30s or late 20s is a different story. I left when was 28 and spent 6 years in the UK. I enjoyed my time there and made a lot of money (enough to buy a townhouse in the west without borrowing).

But you miss T&T, I not gonna lie, those 6 years was hard. I missed my family, friends, my ex, my cousins, weddings, funerals, limes, beach, tobago, food, rum, carnival, fetes, liming after work, all fours.......it's not easy.

I don't regret coming back one bit though, I held many top jobs in T&T when I got back, right now I'm working mostly part-time and bringing home over $40k a month with my consultancy. That would never have been possible if I didn't get this experience in the UK.

Despite all the sheit that happens in Trinidad, I am far happier here than I was in the UK.
interesting perspective, and great success achieved. nice.

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”