Forums

Leaving Trinidad for good...

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

MaxPower
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: Leaving Trinidad for good...

Postby MaxPower » November 25th, 2022, 12:40 pm

When i go to the states, i only stay within the middle-upper class areas.

Less harassment and i pay for comfort and safety.

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 88sins » November 25th, 2022, 12:42 pm

I got multiple options, and no concrete decision on where just yet, but when I decide where the shift will happen quickly.

My options are the US, Canada, UK, Germany, Italy, Spain, or Australia. Where I choose will depend on available employment opportunities, real estate prices and several other factors.

st7
punchin NOS

Postby st7 » November 25th, 2022, 3:18 pm

88sins wrote:I got multiple options, and no concrete decision on where just yet, but when I decide where the shift will happen quickly.

My options are the US, Canada, UK, Germany, Italy, Spain, or Australia. Where I choose will depend on available employment opportunities, real estate prices and several other factors.

hope you go the EU route!

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 88sins » November 25th, 2022, 4:57 pm

Honestly, I'm not inclined towards the EU for a few reasons, but luckily for me I'm easily adaptable and don't have extreme requirements, so i can live comfortably damn near anywhere, so those that I listed are still options.

The Bamboo Online
3NE 2NR for life

Postby The Bamboo Online » November 25th, 2022, 7:01 pm

88sins wrote:Honestly, I'm not inclined towards the EU for a few reasons

High energy prices
Scarce energy supply’s
Potential war looming

triniterribletim
Sweet on this forum

Postby triniterribletim » November 26th, 2022, 9:25 am

88sins wrote:I got multiple options, and no concrete decision on where just yet, but when I decide where the shift will happen quickly.

I'd wager that the US is probably the best out of all the options and the most stable as regards production of food and other commodities, there are still affordable places to live unlike Canada's lopsided real estate market and many parts are still sleepy/safe/insulated from the periodic chaos that tends to erupt in some parts of the country or the world.

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 88sins » November 26th, 2022, 5:05 pm

The Bamboo Online wrote:

High energy prices
Scarce energy supply’s
Potential war looming

These are some of my reasons, but not all.

@triniterribletim
Canada isn't as bad as some people make it out to be.
Housing market is only an issue if you feel that you absolutely MUST live within or very close to a major city. The two hardest things about migrating to Canada is actually the extremely cold winters, and that it can be a little tough to build wealth considering the amount of your income that goes towards taxes.
Can't do anything about the weather besides learn to accept it. And it's only hard to build wealth if you go with the wrong mindset and lifestyle expectations, and it's exacerbated if you go without much financial backing. Once you willing to work and build yourself and most importantly live modestly, it becomes easier to build wealth in Canada.

unimatrix-001
Street 2NR

Postby unimatrix-001 » November 26th, 2022, 10:09 pm

88sins wrote:...the extremely cold winters

Global warming will fix dat

The Bamboo Online
3NE 2NR for life

Postby The Bamboo Online » November 26th, 2022, 10:16 pm

unimatrix-001 wrote:

makes winter worse. Winter even started earlier and with a bang this year.

Winter clothes sell out leaving fall stuff still on the shelves

unimatrix-001
Street 2NR

Postby unimatrix-001 » November 26th, 2022, 10:36 pm

The Bamboo Online wrote:
unimatrix-001 wrote:

Annual variations aside, global warming will make Canada a tropical paradise (old but relevant: https://www.cbc.ca/news/science/canada- ... -1.5079765)

Black friday sales tend to do this

The Bamboo Online
3NE 2NR for life

Postby The Bamboo Online » November 26th, 2022, 11:18 pm

unimatrix-001 wrote:
The Bamboo Online wrote:
unimatrix-001 wrote:

Annual variations aside, global warming will make Canada a tropical paradise (old but relevant: https://www.cbc.ca/news/science/canada- ... -1.5079765)

Black friday sales tend to do this

lol….you think people wait for Black Friday sales to buy out all the winter gear they need? The higher than usual sale of winter stuff has been on the news here before Friday sales started.

Below is a quote From The link you posted above

Along with these temperature increases, the CCCR says Canada is experiencing increases in precipitation (particularly in winter)

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 88sins » November 27th, 2022, 8:27 am

The Bamboo Online wrote:
unimatrix-001 wrote:

yup, some ppl started buying winter gear since July-August this year. Nobody waits for black Friday sales when they in the thick of the freezing temps to get.

triniterribletim
Sweet on this forum

Postby triniterribletim » November 27th, 2022, 7:29 pm

88sins wrote:
The Bamboo Online wrote:

High energy prices
Scarce energy supply’s
Potential war looming

These are some of my reasons, but not all.

@triniterribletim
Canada isn't as bad as some people make it out to be.
Housing market is only an issue if you feel that you absolutely MUST live within or very close to a major city. The two hardest things about migrating to Canada is actually the extremely cold winters, and that it can be a little tough to build wealth considering the amount of your income that goes towards taxes.
Can't do anything about the weather besides learn to accept it. And it's only hard to build wealth if you go with the wrong mindset and lifestyle expectations, and it's exacerbated if you go without much financial backing. Once you willing to work and build yourself and most importantly live modestly, it becomes easier to build wealth in Canada.

I suppose the considerations of most folks here would be different from what I considered while migrating. I would assume most folks still want to work or seek training, while I just wanted to retire somewhere cheap and comfortable, where life could be passed with minimal effort involved. I suppose if someone can avoid the Brampton/Mississauga trap most Trinis end up in, like maybe Halifax or St. John's or Calgary, things may actually be OK. Just not Winnipeg. It's the cold version of Hell.

SuperiorMan
punchin NOS

Postby SuperiorMan » November 27th, 2022, 8:03 pm

Just curious, would any one move if they were making >30k/month?

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 88sins » November 27th, 2022, 8:41 pm

SuperiorMan wrote:Just curious, would any one move if they were making >30k/month?

Yes, there's people that make good money here that still opt to leave. Simply because the money you making now is not everything. Those who do usually do so to set it up so that their kids and grandchildren can have more opportunities and a better standard of life down the road. They see the direction that this country is headed and decide to get out before the shtf.

So what usually happens in these cases, is they bank as much money as possible for as long as they can, so that when they leave they have enough money to be able to transition easily. Buy property, vehicle, get qualified in that country if needed, start a business, etc

SuperiorMan
punchin NOS

Postby SuperiorMan » November 27th, 2022, 8:43 pm

88sins wrote:
SuperiorMan wrote:Just curious, would any one move if they were making >30k/month?

Yes, there's people that make good money here that still opt to leave. Simply because the money you making now is not everything. Those who do usually do so to set it up so that their kids and grandchildren can have more opportunities and a better standard of life down the road. They see the direction that this country is headed and decide to get out before the shtf.

So what usually happens in these cases, is they bank as much money as possible for as long as they can, so that when they leave they have enough money to be able to transition easily. Buy property, vehicle, get qualified in that country if needed, start a business, etc

I get you but I was wondering why some of the 1% decide to stay or even some rich indians.

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby timelapse » November 27th, 2022, 8:49 pm

SuperiorMan wrote:
88sins wrote:

I get you but I was wondering why some of the 1% decide to stay or even some rich indians.
Less rats in the rat race here, especially if you in the lead

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 88sins » November 27th, 2022, 10:23 pm

SuperiorMan wrote:
88sins wrote:

Short answer
It easier to get access to corrupt government officials that will facilitate their bs, which in turn has them feeling like them is some kind of big sawatee.

They know that if their questionable and corrupt dealings are discovered in this greenfig republic, nothing will ever come of it.
But out there, especially in the US, when caught in corruption as a private citizen or as state agent, they will have down to their draws seized, and ANYBODY that benefitted from their nefarious actions will suffer a similar fate.

Same reason why PLENTY local doctors will vacation in the US, and spend MONTHS at a time abroad and make millions of dollars in investments but NEVER open a medical practice there. Too much to lose if/when they screw up, and they eh have a problem with their screw ups but they take serious issue with losing what they have because of their screw ups

AlphaMan
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby AlphaMan » December 23rd, 2022, 3:45 pm

Canada USA and UK too expensive..
Im thinking Mexico, Brazil or Amsterdam..
Also if i making 30K a month I would have paid off all my debts and left a long time ago..
Start a new family tree abroad. It will be hard for you but your children will definitely be better off..

unimatrix-001
Street 2NR

Postby unimatrix-001 » December 23rd, 2022, 4:33 pm

AlphaMan wrote:Canada USA and UK too expensive..
Also if i making 30K a month I would have paid off all my debts and left a long time ago..
Start a new family tree abroad. It will be hard for you but your children will definitely be better off..

Many options to consider for cheap retirement... Costa Rica and Panama have visas specifically for expats. Costa Rica especially is a safe destination.
Also Malaysia is worth looking into. If I remember correctly, a certain imported-from-Canada Red Hart Government cohort built a bunch of waterfront skyscrapers with chinese money, and split to Malaysia when water got hot... They also have expat visas and good KFC... open 24 jam

AlphaMan
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby AlphaMan » December 23rd, 2022, 8:22 pm

unimatrix-001 wrote:

Many options to consider for cheap retirement... Costa Rica and Panama have visas specifically for expats. Costa Rica especially is a safe destination.
Also Malaysia is worth looking into. If I remember correctly, a certain imported-from-Canada Red Hart Government cohort built a bunch of waterfront skyscrapers with chinese money, and split to Malaysia when water got hot... They also have expat visas and good KFC... open 24 jam

Will Look into these countries as potential destinations...

triniterribletim
Sweet on this forum

Postby triniterribletim » December 23rd, 2022, 8:57 pm

Brazil and Mexico are very cheap compared to Trinidad. Was showing my mom the $1 a pound baigan and she was stunned. I don't think she's gonna give up on Canada though.

For comparison

Consumer Prices in Mexico City are 4.21% lower than in Sao Paulo (without rent)
Consumer Prices Including Rent in Mexico City are 5.32% higher than in Sao Paulo
Rent Prices in Mexico City are 34.13% higher than in Sao Paulo
Restaurant Prices in Mexico City are 7.42% higher than in Sao Paulo
Groceries Prices in Mexico City are 6.96% higher than in Sao Paulo

Both are a Copa flight away, with prices to Mexico being cheaper. I hear that American expats and remote workers are making Mexico City somewhat less affordable than it once was though. Depends on if you want to learn Spanish or Portuguese. Having visited both countries, I'd say Brazilian culture is a lot more similar to Trinidadian culture in general. Croatia is another interesting option if you want to apply for a digital nomad visa.

AlphaMan
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby AlphaMan » December 23rd, 2022, 9:08 pm

triniterribletim wrote:

Brazil and Mexico are very cheap compared to Trinidad. Was showing my mom the $1 a pound baigan and she was stunned. I don't think she's gonna give up on Canada though.

For comparison

Consumer Prices Including Rent in Mexico City are 5.32% higher than in Sao Paulo

Both are a Copa flight away, with prices to Mexico being cheaper. I hear that American expats and remote workers are making Mexico City somewhat less affordable than it once was though. Depends on if you want to learn Spanish or Portuguese. Having visited both countries, I'd say Brazilian culture is a lot more similar to Trinidadian culture in general. Croatia is another interesting option if you want to apply for a digital nomad visa.

What about healthcare in these places?

MaxPower
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby MaxPower » December 23rd, 2022, 9:39 pm

88sins wrote:

Lol

Soldier what you speak of is the absolute normal and obvious thinking.

Do you have any updated advice for SuperiorMan?

ProtonPowder
Riding on 18's

Postby ProtonPowder » December 23rd, 2022, 11:02 pm

SuperiorMan wrote:
88sins wrote:

Money is not the same as power. Here, the 1% have the power to run all the racket their hearts and pockets desire. They could ignore laws, law enforcement and basic human dignity.

If they were to pick up and leave, they would just be another upper middle class family in the suburbs or in a high rise. But without any power. Think about why so many trinis get pinched in the states for child solicitation. There's your answer.

triniterribletim
Sweet on this forum

Postby triniterribletim » December 23rd, 2022, 11:16 pm

AlphaMan wrote:
triniterribletim wrote:

For comparison

What about healthcare in these places?

Go private, not public. Health insurance plans are pretty reasonable. Maybe $100 TTD per month or so. Dental is also much cheaper than TT. Got all my issues resolved for around 1000 TTD. Would have cost around 4500 or more in Trinidad. Glasses are around 800 TTD for a decent pair with Transitions lenses. If you can pay, you can have good care.

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 88sins » December 24th, 2022, 2:29 am

MaxPower wrote:
88sins wrote:

Lol

Soldier what you speak of is the absolute normal and obvious thinking.

Do you have any updated advice for SuperiorMan?

No updated advice for him, but I've got some much needed advice for you.
Go look for a man elsewhere, nobody here is interested in you.

MaxPower
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby MaxPower » December 24th, 2022, 6:11 am

88sins wrote:
No updated advice for him, but I've got some much needed advice for you.
Go look for a man elsewhere, nobody here is interested in you.

No updated advice? You made it clear you read all the books in the world and you have no updated advice? When you read, you have to understand and commit to memory, not just pass your eyes over the words and mumble and claim knowledge.

Update yourself 8.

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 88sins » December 24th, 2022, 2:43 pm

I already said all I'm going to say. You should go look for a man elsewhere.
But on somewhat related note...

Somebody tell me you buy a veiny sex toy to sell but you say you have to try it out first, and by the time you finished testing it out it smooth.

Daz true? I feel it is.

leavingforgood
Street 2NR

Postby leavingforgood » January 16th, 2023, 11:41 am

SuperiorMan wrote:Just curious, would anyone move if they were making >30k/month?

You will be surprised how many of the "1%" have left in recent years.

I am not a "1%" but I make a healthy living and since I decided to start putting my ducks in a row to leave for good, I have saved a large percentage of my income on a monthly basis, I transfer money to a US-based investment account every month, and I have zero debt.

For many of the "1%" I know personally, they choose to stay because they put so much blood, sweat, and tears into their companies that they do not want to start from scratch. Many of the older "1%" stay 6 months here and 6 months abroad visiting their children and grandchildren. The offspring of the "1%" have either decided to work in the family business, stay in their small social circles and travel as often as possible, or they are planning to enroll in graduate programs abroad and never return to Trinidad.

In my opinion, deciding to leave T&T is more than a monetary decision. If it was only about money I could stay here and be comfortable in my little bubble, but I am not comfortable because every day is a headache in this country.

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”