Re: Water pump

Postby pugboy » September 10th, 2022, 7:24 am

and a good size pressure tank
at least 20gal

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » November 24th, 2022, 6:55 pm

I bought an Ingco (yellow Chinese brand) 3/4 hp with smart head a few months ago and it was running real nice. Say I'll do a lil pressure washing this evening. Nothing much maybe 1/2 hour. Pump work nice still.
Then after I finished about an hour later it wouldn't switch on. Humming, pulling current but no spin. Very hot. Even after it cooled down nothing. Well I finally figured out that the motor assembly shot. The capacitor good. The smart head good too. The motor wiring, relay or bearings gone and I'll investigate further later on. I not mad, it was cheap thing and it's my fault for thinking it was ok for a pressure washer.

Right now I need a heavy duty pump for pressure washing. I called a plumbing place and the guy said Pentax is good workhorse for that. Goulds is obvious but tbh they get rel expensive, a lil too much for me right now.

So Pentax? Who have? It holding up for heavy duty pressure washing?

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » November 24th, 2022, 7:07 pm

those chinese pumps impellers are peripheral design
not really made for long term use
plus the motor winding itself very small compared to an equivalent pentax and far less goulds

VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby VexXx Dogg » November 24th, 2022, 7:20 pm

maj. tom wrote:I bought an Ingco (yellow Chinese brand) 3/4 hp with smart head a few months ago and it was running real nice. Say I'll do a lil pressure washing this evening. Nothing much maybe 1/2 hour. Pump work nice still.
Then after I finished about an hour later it wouldn't switch on. Humming, pulling current but no spin. Very hot. Even after it cooled down nothing. Well I finally figured out that the motor assembly shot. The capacitor good. The smart head good too. The motor wiring, relay or bearings gone and I'll investigate further later on. I not mad, it was cheap thing and it's my fault for thinking it was ok for a pressure washer.

Right now I need a heavy duty pump for pressure washing. I called a plumbing place and the guy said Pentax is good workhorse for that. Goulds is obvious but tbh they get rel expensive, a lil too much for me right now.

Had a Pentax 1/2, and the smart head had gone thru so it was running all the time.
I just left it alone, told them home we changed 3 heads already. Just use the switch to operate the pump until I figure out a plan. It stayed like this for about.2 years :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

One day they left it running for about 6 hours straight. left home and forgot to turn it off.

Of course the water was steaming hot, but it was still running.

I think the Pentax motor kinda prove itself there. :lol:

The only reason I bought a new Pentax was because the bearings were shot, the head was still bad and it blew the shaft seal. Rebuild job was about 2/3 the cost of a new one so I juust bit the bullet.

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » November 24th, 2022, 7:30 pm

sweet. Well I gonna look for a 3/4 hp Pentax tmrw. Anybody can recommend a model or something? Is heavy duty so dunno if they have different lines of pumps and next thing I buy a Pentax and the price too good to be true.

Dave
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Dave » November 24th, 2022, 7:51 pm

Pump Xperts also has the Pedrollo and Dab which are Italian made and are supposed to be good.

alfa
Shifting into 6th

Postby alfa » November 24th, 2022, 9:17 pm

maj. tom wrote:I bought an Ingco (yellow Chinese brand) 3/4 hp with smart head a few months ago and it was running real nice. Say I'll do a lil pressure washing this evening. Nothing much maybe 1/2 hour. Pump work nice still.

I have one about three years now supplying water to the whole house and ocassional pressure washing and no major issues whatsoever. However I bought the model with the pressure tank and switch, heard too many nightmare stories about smart heads and there isn't much info online about their opeartion and I don't like stuff i can't fix myself. After two years I did had a cracked shaft seal causing water to leak out and I replaced that easily, but yeah it's a workhorse. The only thing I don't really like is that the Pentax doesn't have a built in thermal overload like the goulds but they specify it shouldn't cycle more than 30 times per hour. I never had an issue with pressure washing with it either. You could always let it cool a lil 15 mins and jam again. I will advise you to get the pressure tank model with a big tank, smart head is failure eventually especially the older octopus looking one.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » November 24th, 2022, 9:35 pm

that is only because the motor not so powerful to run hard enough that it will overheat in a one lol
but some of them actually have a thermal cutoff which would save the motor but I have seen some which dont have it even though with same model number cam50

VexXx Dogg wrote:Of course the water was steaming hot, but it was still running.

I think the Pentax motor kinda prove itself there. :lol:

The only reason I bought a new Pentax was because the bearings were shot, the head was still bad and it blew the shaft seal. Rebuild job was about 2/3 the cost of a new one so I juust bit the bullet.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » November 24th, 2022, 9:37 pm

pentax with pressure tank is the better way to go, all them smarthead does go bad

if you ever go in a water source shop you will see ppl coming in to buy smartheads.....

maj. tom wrote:sweet. Well I gonna look for a 3/4 hp Pentax tmrw. Anybody can recommend a model or something? Is heavy duty so dunno if they have different lines of pumps and next thing I buy a Pentax and the price too good to be true.

VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby VexXx Dogg » November 24th, 2022, 9:51 pm

pugboy wrote:pentax with pressure tank is the better way to go, all them smarthead does go bad

if you ever go in a water source shop you will see ppl coming in to buy smartheads.....

maj. tom wrote:sweet. Well I gonna look for a 3/4 hp Pentax tmrw. Anybody can recommend a model or something? Is heavy duty so dunno if they have different lines of pumps and next thing I buy a Pentax and the price too good to be true.

I agree.
Smartheads are a PITA.

Chimera
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Chimera » November 24th, 2022, 9:56 pm

In the beginning ingco use to give 1 year warranty. Now they give 3 months

I know someone who had their smart head changed 4 times under that 1nyear ingco warranty

It recently conk out again when warranty expired. (Not the smart head this time)

You get what u pay for with these things

Just look at the physical size

I have goulds pumps that probably more than 30 years old (my father bought it) that only recently I service it for the first time.

Strugglerzinc
punchin NOS

Postby Strugglerzinc » November 24th, 2022, 10:44 pm

Looking for a piece of wood to knock on with my Pentax peripheral pump and smart head supplying my 3 GPM industrial pressure washer, daily for the last 3 years with no issues

K74T
TunerGod

Postby K74T » November 25th, 2022, 6:39 am

Anything Ingco/Tolsen/Total, stay away from...cheap and unreliable crap.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » November 25th, 2022, 6:40 am

them ting selling like hot bread

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » November 25th, 2022, 6:54 am

The knock-off Chinese brand tools have their light duty uses though. The warranty still good on it so I carrying it in to fix and will repurpose it for strictly light duty work in the future.

Strugglerzinc wrote:Looking for a piece of wood to knock on with my Pentax peripheral pump and smart head supplying my 3 GPM industrial pressure washer, daily for the last 3 years with no issues

What horsepower it is?

cornfused
30 pounds of Boost

Postby cornfused » November 25th, 2022, 7:23 am

For Pressure Washing I have used a pentax 3/4 HP Pump with smart head to deliver water to one 2800 PSI 3 gpm or one 3800 PSI 4 gpm machine. Supply line is key

This was not everyday use.

In the market for a Large Pressure Tank 20 gallons or more any suggestions?

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » November 25th, 2022, 7:25 am

any pump could deliver 4 gpm
even an aquarium fountain pump, well except of course if pushing vertically

check ramlagans for good prices

cornfused wrote:For Pressure Washing I have used a pentax 3/4 HP Pump with smart head to deliver water to one 2800 PSI 3 gpm or one 3800 PSI 4 gpm machine. Supply line is key

Strugglerzinc
punchin NOS

Postby Strugglerzinc » November 25th, 2022, 8:11 am

maj. tom wrote:The knock-off Chinese brand tools have their light duty uses though. The warranty still good on it so I carrying it in to fix and will repurpose it for strictly light duty work in the future.

Strugglerzinc wrote:Looking for a piece of wood to knock on with my Pentax peripheral pump and smart head supplying my 3 GPM industrial pressure washer, daily for the last 3 years with no issues

What horsepower it is?

The Pentax, 0.5 hp
The washer, 5 hp electric.

alfa
Shifting into 6th

Postby alfa » November 25th, 2022, 8:14 am

cornfused wrote:For Pressure Washing I have used a pentax 3/4 HP Pump with smart head to deliver water to one 2800 PSI 3 gpm or one 3800 PSI 4 gpm machine. Supply line is key

Allied in south has some huge standing ones, might be as expensive as the pump though

foss
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby foss » November 25th, 2022, 9:29 am

Gladiator wrote:As someone that manages 92 water pumps ranging from 1/2HP to 10HP please dont put a filter on the suction side of your water pump. It will restrict flow and cause your pump to cavitate reducing its lifespan tremendously.

who does your pump repairs?

teems1
punchin NOS

Postby teems1 » November 25th, 2022, 9:59 am

A garden hose can easily deliver 10-15gpm.

You can fill up 2 of those big blue waters office water containers in a minute.

A pressure washer actually uses less water than you think.

cornfused
30 pounds of Boost

Postby cornfused » November 25th, 2022, 2:48 pm

I need to re communicate a salient point here.

" A pressure washer uses less water than you think" There are many variables at play here. I use gas commercial machines only so water delivery is key as many persons who thought they had a good water supply got a wake up call when we started cleaning.

An Electric pressure washer is disposable

A pressure washer cannot pull water, large machines 4,000 PSI demand the type of flow that you cannot stop with a finger at the tap for each machine . That is an easy guide, low water pressure for pressure washing is a sure case for water seals in the pump of the pressure washer being eroded.

WASA in some areas such as Maraval and Malabar Arima supplies the type of water pressure I mentioned.

In the Pressure Washing business since 2002.

Thank you for the Ramlagans referrals. The Pressure Tank and new Pentax pump are for a new application.

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » November 25th, 2022, 3:28 pm

Get through with the 3/4 hp Pentax at Bhagwansingh. Was $2000 with the newer cube shape smart head. Supplied and 2 years warranty by Rotoplastics. Serviced by Water Source. It bigger and much heavier than the Ingco. Draws 7.4A. I also bought a 120V Breakermatic 10A voltage protector plug for the outlet.

Now I will spend the rest of the evening making ignorant amateur mistakes, wasting the glued fittings and frustrated cuss muttering for the install.

Goulds prices:

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » November 25th, 2022, 4:34 pm

This is the automatic pump controller "smart head" that Rotoplastics is supplying. Made in Spain.
The controller unit alone was about $600.

https://www.coelbo.es/en/index.php?cont=pressflowtech&id=4

Chimera
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Chimera » November 25th, 2022, 4:44 pm

bhags usually more expensive than everywhere else

u had price that at ramlagans?

make sure you use unions and check valves where needed

the unions save alot of headache

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » November 25th, 2022, 4:54 pm

it have nice unions with built in lockoff valve too now

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » November 25th, 2022, 5:01 pm

Yeah I got a couple unions and a union spring check valve. The setup before already had unions so it's just half of each for both water channels. What I now realize is that all unions are not the same. They have the same 3/4" pipe outlets, but the screw threads and bracket sizes are different for manufacturers and not interchangeable.

This pump has a little bolt at the top to open to prime the pump with inflow water before plugging in and operating.

I didn't check Ramlagans just decided to get off the highway one time at Bhagwansingh. Called around earlier Rotoplastics had it for $2200. Water Source $2025.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » November 25th, 2022, 5:07 pm

yeah unions are not standardized esp when you have a tight setup and somebody lose the oring

always good to have a few extra unions all of same type

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » November 25th, 2022, 5:26 pm

oh goar it wukin!!!

5 bar ≈ 72 psi. Rel pressure upstairs.

Chimera
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Chimera » November 25th, 2022, 6:15 pm

Make sure all your plumbing good and could hand le that

Plenty of the plumbing by me old and in the concrete.

I set my pump for 30/60 psi

Over that was leaks and blowouts

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”