Carpentry, Joinery and woodworking Forum

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: Carpentry, Joinery and woodworking Forum

Postby adnj » September 19th, 2019, 11:47 am

pugboy wrote:The galv pipe usually works with the clamps
However you only get one side of an entire pipe with a thread.
What I did was get some 4" nipples which are threaded both sides, cut in half
And then welded them to pipe so the pipe now has a threaded end,
You could try a multi-die pipe threader, also. They are about US$50.

rspann
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rspann » September 19th, 2019, 8:22 pm

Zorak wrote:Over the last 2 years I've started toying around with some little woodworking projects. Haven't built anything really impressive yet. In the process of building my kitchen cupboard and bathroom vanity. They're both about 80% complete, functional til I get around to completing them.

For now I only work with pine that I get in the hardware and plywood. And getting a properly straight length of lumber is the hardest thing for me. I'm thinking about getting a table-saw or planer or jointer to help with straightening the lumber. Which do you guys suggest?

I really need to organise my tools properly and a proper workspace though. I feel like I just need to setup a mitre saw station and maybe a router table and that will help speed things along nicely. It's such a pain to always be unpacking and packing everything whenever I'm working on something.

Can you guys suggest somewhere I can get a little nicer wood than pine for my projects? And why doesn't anyone carry dressed 2x2s!?

Pine and ply are both failures. They only last so long. Woodlice, termites and dry rot gets to them too fast. Try teak and MDF or one of the local hardwoods like cajuca. I've had work done over fifteen to twenty years with no problems and I've seen people having to do over five year old jobs. There are places in Penal that I buy teak from ,that sometimes cost the same as the pine in the hardware's. They have different sizes and lenghts and you can also have them cut to your specs
Thare are also people who sell and dress the wood so you have it ready to use.

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » September 20th, 2019, 11:56 am

some ply is made from pinewood though so more or less is pine in yuh tail anyhow

in case anybody looking for KREG stuff locally here have https://www.facebook.com/KGELHARDWARE/p ... =3&theater [right click on pics for more pics] not exactly a bargain if u ask me ..... :|

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » September 20th, 2019, 12:43 pm

Looking for some good quality plywood
Wanna build a mortising jig

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » September 20th, 2019, 2:22 pm

^^whatever become of d bosch "domino" u was making ?

i recently ordered a shopfox mortiser us$400

very good wood by carpenters edge , u dun kno it doh be cheap , otherwise d cupboard grade ply by bhags is decent ...

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » September 20th, 2019, 2:32 pm

I pretty much finished it but haven’t had time to build anything yet
The drawback with it is that it uses a 1/4” bit
So the tenons will be 1/4” thick.

I recently came across a very nice router mortising jig which is very easy to use and build.
I gonna build this one too.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eHIOTXABu60

Rovin wrote:^^whatever become of d bosch "domino" u was making ?

i recently ordered a shopfox mortiser us$400

very good wood by carpenters edge , u dun kno it doh be cheap , otherwise d cupboard grade ply by bhags is decent ...

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » September 20th, 2019, 2:55 pm

so if u get a 3\8 or 1\2" router but with a 1\4 shank ent that cud work too ?

d home made mortise jigs all well & good but d way i look at it a typical project say a coffee table with have 4 corners & each corner will need 2 mortise , so thats 8 right there , now same ex u also want to use bottom wood connections too so double that : 16 right there in just 1 small simple project

i aint rich by any means but thats d reason i decided to invest in a dedicated machine for it

some ppl also simply use a drill press & neaten\chisel up d cut lines , a bit too much work for me

a nice jig here too .... its a high quality almost us$200 bit he using though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSY_SVfejlQ

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » September 20th, 2019, 3:17 pm

They don’t seem to make plunge upspiral 1/4shank bits in 3/8 or 1/2

The benefits of the mortise jigs using floating tenons is same operation for both sides
And just cut premade tenon to length

If you watch the video his jig is really nice

Rovin wrote:so if u get a 3\8 or 1\2" router but with a 1\4 shank ent that cud work too ?

d home made mortise jigs all well & good but d way i look at it a typical project say a coffee table with have 4 corners & each corner will need 2 mortise , so thats 8 right there , now same ex u also want to use bottom wood connections too so double that : 16 right there in just 1 small simple project

i aint rich by any means but thats d reason i decided to invest in a dedicated machine for it

some ppl also simply use a drill press & neaten\chisel up d cut lines , a bit too much work for me

a nice jig here too .... its a high quality almost us$200 bit he using though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSY_SVfejlQ

jl6106
3NE 2NR for life

Postby jl6106 » October 15th, 2019, 1:19 pm

Hey guys.
So I tried my hand at diy with this wardrobe. It not finished yet but just wanted to add my experience so far.
I tried using a software call sketchup to build it but need I need more time to learn it fully. It helps with the visualisation of the process. I also used cutlist organiser ( another program) which helps you reduce waste cuts.
I wanted to purchase material from carpenters edge but bought it instead from those big hardwares to save on cost. Used a circular saw and jigsaw but realised halfway in the circular saw blade was off and I didn't know how to adjust it so went with the jigsaw only at the latter parts of the build.
I also used the kreg pocket hols for the corners and shelves and once it's done properly it's really easy to do. I find their screws very superior to others I have used and plan to use them besides pocket holes.
So the dimensions are 6ft width, 7ft height and 1 1/2 ft depth.
I plan to paint and add drawers to the bottom centre and eventually doors to complete the look.
When I have more I'll add.
2107101021.jpeg

X_Factor
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby X_Factor » October 15th, 2019, 1:32 pm

U could have used white melamine etc so you won't have to paint it
Looks good

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » October 15th, 2019, 2:20 pm

looking good.

best way to cut sheets with a circular saw is to clamp a fence to the left.
use some pieces of 2x2 or 2x4 under the ply to support it, like 3 pieces, 2 from the portion of the ply to the left of the cut and 1 to the right.

Most circular saws the distance from left side of base to the right side of the blade is 5.5" or something like that
some may be to the left side of the blade.

So you just need to make perpendicular marks with a good framing square and clamp a good straight edge 5.5" extra to the left
and run the saw against the straight edge/fence.

It is very common for a circular saw blade to not be in line with the left edge of its base too, this can cause real headache
so you should check that too.

Dont forget woodlice eat ply like ice cream. Termite treatment and sanding sealer helps

Gladiator
punchin NOS

Postby Gladiator » October 15th, 2019, 3:39 pm

Looks good... Just one question. Why didn't you use melamine board instead of ply. You would have gotten a prepared surface with no need to paint .
jl6106 wrote:Hey guys.
So I tried my hand at diy with this wardrobe. It not finished yet but just wanted to add my experience so far.
I tried using a software call sketchup to build it but need I need more time to learn it fully. It helps with the visualisation of the process. I also used cutlist organiser ( another program) which helps you reduce waste cuts.
I wanted to purchase material from carpenters edge but bought it instead from those big hardwares to save on cost. Used a circular saw and jigsaw but realised halfway in the circular saw blade was off and I didn't know how to adjust it so went with the jigsaw only at the latter parts of the build.
I also used the kreg pocket hols for the corners and shelves and once it's done properly it's really easy to do. I find their screws very superior to others I have used and plan to use them besides pocket holes.
I plan to paint and add drawers to the bottom centre and eventually doors to complete the look.
2107101021.jpeg

jl6106
3NE 2NR for life

Postby jl6106 » October 15th, 2019, 9:06 pm

Gladiator wrote:Looks good... Just one question. Why didn't you use melamine board instead of ply. You would have gotten a prepared surface with no need to paint .
jl6106 wrote:Hey guys.
2107101021.jpeg
Wanted the experience of doing it in ply as I'm painting it for my daughters' use and never worked with melamine.

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » October 15th, 2019, 9:28 pm

nice d thread has some action in it

good going , i'm guessing u gonna do a face frame for it

like said above ply is woodlice fav food , treat it indeed , this is why i dont use ply i rather mdf or melamine which is not that much more $ but saves u a TON of work since u dont have to finish it except for d edges , slightl;y harder to work with since u dont want to send screws thru that nice surface so u have to re-engineer ur carpentry to suit

keep us updated

just a btw - almost everybody on youtube puts a straight edge against d base side of d saw further away from d blade , tried that yrssss ago b4 youtube was invented but from ever since i prefer using straight edge by d side closer to d blade

like shown @ 2.39 ... thats just me - choose whichever 1 u like

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » October 16th, 2019, 5:13 am

I find that way coming to the end there is not much support for the saw as it is the narrow strip from right of blade to fence which is holding up the saw
my saw real heavy so it a pia

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » October 16th, 2019, 11:50 am

what u have : a worm drive saw ? , cause most normal saws more or less weighs about same , i use a normal skil saw , bought a us$60 porter cable & other stuff that recently landed that i have to go clear , next yr i thinking about trying a makita track saw system , not cheap us400

when i make my cuts with a circular saw i support it on my worktable & always use same thickness of wood under d saw as a balance ...

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » October 16th, 2019, 12:08 pm

Mine is a very heavy duty dewalt
Noticeably heavier than the regular ones
Plus it has sideways alignment and uses a ball joint at the back instead of the normal rivet hinge

Kronik
18 pounds of Boost

Postby Kronik » October 16th, 2019, 1:52 pm

pugboy wrote:Mine is a very heavy duty dewalt
Noticeably heavier than the regular ones
Plus it has sideways alignment and uses a ball joint at the back instead of the normal rivet hinge
My DeWalt saw had some weight to, so does hadda watch and make sure it supported, if it starts to hang near the end the blade could end up cutting at an angle

NR8
Riding on 18's

Postby NR8 » October 16th, 2019, 2:18 pm

Rovin wrote:nice d thread has some action in it

good going , i'm guessing u gonna do a face frame for it

like said above ply is woodlice fav food , treat it indeed , this is why i dont use ply i rather mdf or melamine which is not that much more $ but saves u a TON of work since u dont have to finish it except for d edges , slightl;y harder to work with since u dont want to send screws thru that nice surface so u have to re-engineer ur carpentry to suit

What's the best way to finish the edges? Especially if being used as cupboards where moisture is present

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » October 16th, 2019, 6:27 pm

u cud calk d corners where 1 surface is 90 degrees to d other but its difficult to make melamine edges 100% water proof , if d edge is exposed u cud try few coats of sanding sealer & oil paint ...

X_Factor
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby X_Factor » October 17th, 2019, 9:57 am

To make it waterproof
Fiberglass resin brushed on
Then you can used a coloured edge band with a heat gun on the edge

jl6106
3NE 2NR for life

Postby jl6106 » October 18th, 2019, 5:40 pm

Found 3/4 inch wood mouldings in peaked for $30:00 that I want to use as a face frame. Any recommendations where I can get it at a better price?

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » October 19th, 2019, 1:15 pm

if that is a 10ft length then $30 not sounding too bad , u will have to spend some gas $ driving around to see what else out there

check around to see if its actual wood , mdf , foam\plastic ...

Ryan197912
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Ryan197912 » October 19th, 2019, 2:31 pm

Looking for a water based termite treatment, do you guys know of any.

Hyperion
Riding on 17's

Postby Hyperion » October 19th, 2019, 4:23 pm

Ryan197912 wrote:Looking for a water based termite treatment, do you guys know of any.

Bhagwansingh's Golden Grove has a liquid based termite treatment, not sure if it's water or petrochemical

fokhan_96
Riding on 17's

Postby fokhan_96 » October 19th, 2019, 4:31 pm

Most hardwares have a non flammable termite treatment but the scent is horrible. Can't remember name.
Ryan197912 wrote:Looking for a water based termite treatment, do you guys know of any.

jl6106
3NE 2NR for life

Postby jl6106 » October 19th, 2019, 5:22 pm

Both this today at Bhagwansingh's. It is very toxic.cost $48
1571520151306.jpeg

jl6106
3NE 2NR for life

Postby jl6106 » October 19th, 2019, 5:23 pm

Bought

jl6106
3NE 2NR for life

Postby jl6106 » October 19th, 2019, 5:42 pm

Got this at Peaked on sale for $182
1571521331294.jpeg

Gladiator
punchin NOS

Postby Gladiator » October 19th, 2019, 7:55 pm

Do a test piece first to make sure the paint can still bond on top of the treatment...
jl6106 wrote:Both this today at Bhagwansingh's. It is very toxic.cost $48
1571520151306.jpeg

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”