Forums

Petrotrin refinery shut down

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

gastly369
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: Petrotrin refinery shut down

Postby gastly369 » November 30th, 2022, 12:15 pm

K74T wrote:4 years today since the closure of Petrotrin...

De Dragon
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby De Dragon » November 30th, 2022, 10:26 pm

K74T wrote:4 years today since the closure of Petrotrin...

De billions we we supposed to be saving in JUHN Scarfy cacahole? Cuz meem seeing it.

The_Honourable
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby The_Honourable » December 10th, 2022, 8:20 pm

Trinidad Petroleum Holdings Ltd (TPHL), has terminated all discussions with US-based company Quanten LLC for the sale of the Pointe-a-Pierre Refinery. However, Prime Minister Dr. Keith Rowley says a number of other entities have expressed interest.

De Dragon
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby De Dragon » December 10th, 2022, 11:06 pm

The_Honourable wrote:Trinidad Petroleum Holdings Ltd (TPHL), has terminated all discussions with US-based company Quanten LLC for the sale of the Pointe-a-Pierre Refinery. However, Prime Minister Dr. Keith Rowley says a number of other entities have expressed interest.

:shock: :shock:
My God, I thought this was a done deal like Patriotic! :|

wing
Riding on 18's

Postby wing » December 11th, 2022, 3:36 am

The_Honourable wrote:Trinidad Petroleum Holdings Ltd (TPHL), has terminated all discussions with US-based company Quanten LLC for the sale of the Pointe-a-Pierre Refinery. However, Prime Minister Dr. Keith Rowley says a number of other entities have expressed interest.

Just in time for the lifting of the scrap metal ban....

The_Honourable
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby The_Honourable » January 26th, 2023, 11:47 am

Patriotic still wants Petrotrin refinery

Patriotic Energies and Technologies director Ozzi Warwick says he is surprised by Prime Minister Dr Keith Rowley’s assertion that Government cannot find a buyer for Petrotrin’s Pointe-a-Pierre refinery because nobody is interested in it.

Rowley made the comment at a media conference on Tuesday where he announced T&T had received permission from the United States to access the Dragon Gas Field.

Addressing the status of interest in the refinery, Rowley said, “ We are talking to everybody who knows that we have a refinery, if they’re interested in it. But a refinery nowadays is not something that has a lot of people excited.

“But we hope that some day, someone might be interested and the fact that we can’t find anybody interested should tell you something ...”

However, Warwick yesterday confirmed that Patriotic Energies remains interested.

The company, formed by the Oilfield Workers’ Trade Union (OWTU), had entered a bid for the refinery but the interest collapsed in January 2021, after their bids were rejected. At the time, Patriotic said it had already spent “tens of millions of dollars” on the acquisition process, only to be blanked by the government.

But Warwick yesterday said Patriotic still has an interest and welcomes negotiations.

“We have always maintained that Patriotic remains ready, flexible and willing to enter into any agreement to safely, efficiently and cost-effective restart the refinery and put workers back to work,” Warwick said.

He reiterated that many communities will benefit if the refinery gets restarted.

“Communities and Trinidad and Tobago will benefit. With all this high unemployment and idle human resource with an abundance of skilled and experienced workers, there can be no better time than now to restart the refinery,” he said.

The Pointe-a-Pierre refinery was closed in 2018 due to losses of more than $1 billion in the previous five years. The closure affected 2,600 permanent jobs, including 1,700 direct jobs. At the time of the closure, the facility had a processing capacity of approximately 140,000 barrels per day (bpd) of crude.

In May last year, Minister of Energy Stuart Young said negotiations were ongoing with Quanten LLC, an American company which was engaged in the request for proposal process for the refinery.

On December 9, 2022, Rowley confirmed in Parliament that talks between Trinidad Petroleum Holding Limited and Quanten LLC on restarting the refinery were terminated on December 5. He said TPHL had followed due diligence in exploring Quanten’s interest in the refinery but the process “didn’t deliver a workable, usable solution.”.

As of December 5, he said TPHL wasn’t in talks with any party for the purchase of the refinery and “the door was still open,” and TPHL would continue exploring any interested entities, including regionally.

Since the closure of the refinery, there have also been shortages of bitumen, which is used for road rehabilitation.

As a result of this, since 2018, the Government and contractors have been forced to import bitumen, which is used by Lake Asphalt to produce asphalt cement. Bitumen is a by-product of crude oil and is produced through a refining process, according to investopedia.com.

Over the weekend, Works Minister Rohan Sinanan said the Government is moving towards alleviating the bitumen shortages which have hampered road paving.

“Part of the programme that the ministry embarked upon is an improved storage facility at Lake Asphalt. We have been operating where we produce TLA from the lake and mixing it with bitumen to produce a high-quality paving material but one of the problems was storage at Lake Asphalt and producing the volumes required,” Sinanan said.

He said 20 new bitutainers were purchased to assist in the importation of bitumen and storage.

Sinanan said once the refinery is reopened, T&T will no longer have to spend millions to import bitumen annually.

https://www.cnc3.co.tt/patriotic-still- ... -refinery/

bluefete
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby bluefete » January 26th, 2023, 12:02 pm

Is licks they (Patriotic) like so??? Or is dotish they dotish?

wing
Riding on 18's

Postby wing » January 26th, 2023, 12:33 pm

Buying scrap iron, ole battery buying...

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » January 26th, 2023, 1:09 pm

Rowley dem eh kno wtf they doing.

Really seems they want to go the scrap iron route

Numb3r4
Shifting into 6th

Postby Numb3r4 » January 26th, 2023, 1:23 pm

So is it reopening or not?

De Dragon
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby De Dragon » January 26th, 2023, 8:36 pm

Just like Mittal, every MC week is ah new buyer :roll: :roll:

alfa
Shifting into 6th

Postby alfa » January 26th, 2023, 8:46 pm

bluefete wrote:Is licks they (Patriotic) like so??? Or is dotish they dotish?

They have to justify taking union dues from the morons who still paying, sell a lil dream to those willing to buy

The_Honourable
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby The_Honourable » February 15th, 2023, 1:00 am

Rowley promotes Petrotrin refinery at Guyana energy conference

Prime Minister Dr Keith Rowley spent a portion of his address at the international energy conference being held in Guyana this morning promoting the mothballed Petrotrin refinery Pointe-a-Pierre for sale.

"The majority of Caribbean countries rely on imports of petroleum products which represent 87 per cent of primary energy consumption.

As a result oil-importing countries in the Caribbean have reported spending up to 15 per cent of annual GDP in fuel imports," Rowley stated.

Rowley said the heavy dependence on imported energy has negatively affected the economic performance of many Caribbean nations and contributed to instability in both fiscal and external accounts, including T&T which was importing most of its crude oil and then creating refined products with domestic needs and for the regional market.

"This import and refined model was being carried on with significant loan support from the national treasury by 2018 in the absence of an improved crude oil supply the accumulated debt and projections for sustained losses resulted in a restructuring of the state-owned company and this included the closure of the refinery which in the absence of a new source of crude stands mothballed at Pointe-a-Pierre in Trinidad," he said.

"This refinery and its supporting infrastructure are available for restart, upgrade and use on reasonable terms to any interested refiner or crude supplier," he said.

Later in his address as Rowley spoke on the proposed Dragon Gas deal he again reminded the attendees of the availability of the refinery for sale.

"We are still exploring the market for a user for the refinery as mentioned," he said.

The second annual International Energy Conference and Expo is being held at the Guyana Marriott Hotel in Georgetown.

Rowley is among several heads of government who are in attendance at the event.

Source: https://www.guardian.co.tt/business/row ... b56c044e4e

gastly369
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby gastly369 » February 15th, 2023, 1:39 am

Mc gone to blight dem from the start...

bluefete
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby bluefete » February 15th, 2023, 7:14 am

gastly369 wrote:Mc gone to blight dem from the start...

Man has no shame.

hover11
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby hover11 » February 15th, 2023, 7:44 am

Fun fact: This year will be fifty years ago that the caricom was formed with the intention of regional integration, which never happened, Trinidad being a part of this organization always felt superior to other member countries, we even rejected certain country goods while our products are abundant in stores in other member states, leaders of caricom member states must be smart in decision making as their decisions have long lasting ramifications . Now that Trinidad natural resources running low you want to pool resources, now the tables will turn I hope we ready for it.

wing
Riding on 18's

Postby wing » February 15th, 2023, 7:46 am

The_Honourable wrote:Rowley promotes Petrotrin refinery at Guyana energy conference

Prime Minister Dr Keith Rowley spent a portion of his address at the international energy conference being held in Guyana this morning promoting the mothballed Petrotrin refinery Pointe-a-Pierre for sale.

"The majority of Caribbean countries rely on imports of petroleum products which represent 87 per cent of primary energy consumption.

As a result oil-importing countries in the Caribbean have reported spending up to 15 per cent of annual GDP in fuel imports," Rowley stated.

Rowley said the heavy dependence on imported energy has negatively affected the economic performance of many Caribbean nations and contributed to instability in both fiscal and external accounts, including T&T which was importing most of its crude oil and then creating refined products with domestic needs and for the regional market.

"This import and refined model was being carried on with significant loan support from the national treasury by 2018 in the absence of an improved crude oil supply the accumulated debt and projections for sustained losses resulted in a restructuring of the state-owned company and this included the closure of the refinery which in the absence of a new source of crude stands mothballed at Pointe-a-Pierre in Trinidad," he said.

"This refinery and its supporting infrastructure are available for restart, upgrade and use on reasonable terms to any interested refiner or crude supplier," he said.

Later in his address as Rowley spoke on the proposed Dragon Gas deal he again reminded the attendees of the availability of the refinery for sale.

"We are still exploring the market for a user for the refinery as mentioned," he said.

The second annual International Energy Conference and Expo is being held at the Guyana Marriott Hotel in Georgetown.

Rowley is among several heads of government who are in attendance at the event.

Source: https://www.guardian.co.tt/business/row ... b56c044e4e
Buying scrap iron ole battery buyin....

wing
Riding on 18's

Postby wing » February 15th, 2023, 7:47 am

hover11 wrote:Fun fact: This year will be fifty years ago that the caricom was formed with the intention of regional integration, which never happened, Trinidad being a part of this organization always felt superior to other member countries, we even rejected certain country goods while our products are abundant in stores in other member states, leaders of caricom member states must be smart in decision making as their decisions have long lasting ramifications . Now that Trinidad natural resources running low you want to pool resources, now the tables will turn I hope we ready for it.
We also forgave the debts of a certain newly rich country.

hover11
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby hover11 » February 15th, 2023, 7:55 am

wing wrote:
hover11 wrote:Fun fact: This year will be fifty years ago that the caricom was formed with the intention of regional integration, which never happened, Trinidad being a part of this organization always felt superior to other member countries, we even rejected certain country goods while our products are abundant in stores in other member states, leaders of caricom member states must be smart in decision making as their decisions have long lasting ramifications . Now that Trinidad natural resources running low you want to pool resources, now the tables will turn I hope we ready for it.
Wing,

You and I both know they were not gonna pay , either way we had to call that money dead. Don't forget we also owe countries such as Anguilla, St.Kitts ,Monserrat and the Virgin Islands who are threatening to take legal action against us

wing
Riding on 18's

Postby wing » February 15th, 2023, 8:07 am

hover11 wrote:
wing wrote:
Wing,

You and I both know they were not gonna pay , either way we had to call that money dead. Don't forget we also owe countries such as Anguilla, St.Kitts ,Monserrat and the Virgin Islands who are threatening to take legal action against us
It's not about the money per se, but the understanding that when member countries were in need, the richer countries assisted in whatever way. Neemakharamism shouldn't rear it's head especially with the newly rich.

Richard Coer de Poulet
Ricer

Postby Richard Coer de Poulet » February 15th, 2023, 9:09 am

As a young man i would always look at the lights at the refinery, everyone i knew who worked there were well off even if they started of poor. ofc i hoped one day i could be there. but again from the view of a young man the refinery in point fortin shared the same story now is total junk. imagine since i born this was left to rot. and from where i sit PAP gonna rot too.

wing
Riding on 18's

Postby wing » February 15th, 2023, 10:32 am

Richard Coer de Poulet wrote:As a young man i would always look at the lights at the refinery, everyone i knew who worked there were well off even if they started of poor. ofc i hoped one day i could be there. but again from the view of a young man the refinery in point fortin shared the same story now is total junk. imagine since i born this was left to rot. and from where i sit PAP gonna rot too.
The point fortin refinery was dismantled in part to make way for Atlantic LNG. It was never intended to be restarted. The storage tanks were supposed to have remained in operation though. Pointe a Pierre could still be restarted only after major turnaround works. Nothing substantial has been dismantled as yet.

Dizzy28
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Dizzy28 » February 15th, 2023, 10:43 am

hover11 wrote:
wing wrote:
Wing,

What are we owing those places money for? With the exception of St Kitts they are not even sovereign countries but territories of the UK (and US assuming its USVI)

hover11
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby hover11 » February 15th, 2023, 1:07 pm

Dizzy28 wrote:
hover11 wrote:
wing wrote:
Wing,

What are we owing those places money for? With the exception of St Kitts they are not even sovereign countries but territories of the UK (and US assuming its USVI)
ECCU could sue Trinidad & Tobago for monies owed, says PM Browne

"Possibly, we may eventually have to sue the government of Trinidad and Tobago because, as you know, they had agreed to provide a settlement of US$100 million. They paid about US$40 million and the balance of US$60 million remains unpaid," PM Browne said during his radio show over the weekend.

https://caribbean.loopnews.com/content/ ... -pm-browne

This is in relation to the Clico collapse

The_Honourable
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby The_Honourable » February 16th, 2023, 12:28 am

Heh heh heh... no :|

Guyana not interested in Pointe-a-Pierre refinery

Guyana’s Minister of Natural Resources Vickram Bharrat addresses the crowd at the International Energy Conference and Expo at the Guyana Marriott hotel in Georgetown yesterday.

T&T’s mothballed refinery in Pointe-a-Pierre does not fit into Guyana’s plans for its energy future, that country’s Natural Resources Minister Vickram Bharrat has said.

In fact, Bharrat says Guyana is actively considering constructing its own refinery, as it aims to become self-sufficient when it comes to energy.

“We’re looking to build our own refinery in country,” Bharrat said in an interview with News Room Guyana following a panel discussion at the international energy conference here at the Guyana Marriott yesterday, as he addressed overtures made by T&T Prime Minister Dr Keith Rowley on Tuesday, for regional countries to look at the Pointe-a-Pierre refinery as an option.

“We are trying to ensure that we are self-sufficient in terms of energy, so that’s why we are moving towards setting up the refinery in country,” he added,.

Bharrat said that the government has already issued a Request for Proposals for a privately-owned 30,000-barrel-per-day oil refinery in East Berbice-Corentyne and that a decision will soon be made on the nine proposals received so far.

According to Bharrat, Guyana currently requires 15,000 barrels of oil per day and with the growing energy demand, it is believed that the refinery will be sufficient.

Although Guyana is not considering the mothballed Petrotrin refinery at Pointe-a-Pierre, that will have no impact on the relationship between the two countries, he said.

“Trinidad has the experience and the expertise as well too and quite honestly, we haven’t been focusing too much on gas,” he said.

“We have spent a lot of our time on oil, rightly so, because of the price of oil (but) because of the way the world is going, the demand for oil might not be long lasting but gas is seen as a transitional fuel,” he added.

On the opening day of the four-day conference on Tuesday, PM Rowley promoted the Pointe-a-Pierre refinery as a viable option for anyone interested in a refinery.

Rowley said the heavy dependence on imported energy has negatively affected the economic performance of many Caribbean nations and contributed to instability in both fiscal and external accounts, including T&T, which was importing most of its crude oil and then creating refined products with domestic needs and for the regional market.

“This import and refined model was being carried on with significant loan support from the national treasury. By 2018, in the absence of an improved crude oil supply, the accumulated debt and projections for sustained losses resulted in a restructuring of the state-owned company and this included the closure of the refinery, which, in the absence of a new source of crude, stands mothballed at Pointe-a-Pierre in Trinidad,” he said.

“This refinery and its supporting infrastructure are available for restart, upgrade and use on reasonable terms to any interested refiner or crude supplier,” he added.

Later in his address, as Rowley spoke on the proposed Dragon Gas Field deal, he again reminded the attendees of the availability of the refinery for sale.

“We are still exploring the market for a user for the refinery as mentioned,” he said.

Energy Minister Stuart Young told Guardian Media on Tuesday that proposals for the refinery keep coming in.

“The Prime Minister has again drawn reference to the fact that in T&T, there is an oil refinery that remains available. We are constantly, through TPHL (Trinidad Petroleum Holdings Ltd), looking at proposals because we continue to receive proposals, but if Guyana is interested that is something we have told them we would welcome.”

Speaking earlier in the day yesterday, Bharatt also addressed Guyana’s local content law, which caused some contention between businessmen from Guyana and T&T last year.

“Local content legislation is in no way a hindrance to investment coming into Guyana. It was never designed to be a hindrance to development or investment coming into our country, because we do need investors, we need partners to develop our resources in this county. We cannot do it alone,” Bharrat said.

He said Guyana is open for business.

“As a government, we have an open-door policy to investment we have an open-door policy to any investor coming into our country,” he said.

https://guardian.co.tt/news/guyana-not- ... fffd10a87e

wing
Riding on 18's

Postby wing » February 16th, 2023, 7:45 am

The_Honourable wrote:Heh heh heh... no :|

Guyana not interested in Pointe-a-Pierre refinery

Guyana’s Minister of Natural Resources Vickram Bharrat addresses the crowd at the International Energy Conference and Expo at the Guyana Marriott hotel in Georgetown yesterday.

T&T’s mothballed refinery in Pointe-a-Pierre does not fit into Guyana’s plans for its energy future, that country’s Natural Resources Minister Vickram Bharrat has said.

In fact, Bharrat says Guyana is actively considering constructing its own refinery, as it aims to become self-sufficient when it comes to energy.

“We’re looking to build our own refinery in country,” Bharrat said in an interview with News Room Guyana following a panel discussion at the international energy conference here at the Guyana Marriott yesterday, as he addressed overtures made by T&T Prime Minister Dr Keith Rowley on Tuesday, for regional countries to look at the Pointe-a-Pierre refinery as an option.

“We are trying to ensure that we are self-sufficient in terms of energy, so that’s why we are moving towards setting up the refinery in country,” he added,.

Bharrat said that the government has already issued a Request for Proposals for a privately-owned 30,000-barrel-per-day oil refinery in East Berbice-Corentyne and that a decision will soon be made on the nine proposals received so far.

According to Bharrat, Guyana currently requires 15,000 barrels of oil per day and with the growing energy demand, it is believed that the refinery will be sufficient.

Although Guyana is not considering the mothballed Petrotrin refinery at Pointe-a-Pierre, that will have no impact on the relationship between the two countries, he said.

“Trinidad has the experience and the expertise as well too and quite honestly, we haven’t been focusing too much on gas,” he said.

“We have spent a lot of our time on oil, rightly so, because of the price of oil (but) because of the way the world is going, the demand for oil might not be long lasting but gas is seen as a transitional fuel,” he added.

On the opening day of the four-day conference on Tuesday, PM Rowley promoted the Pointe-a-Pierre refinery as a viable option for anyone interested in a refinery.

Rowley said the heavy dependence on imported energy has negatively affected the economic performance of many Caribbean nations and contributed to instability in both fiscal and external accounts, including T&T, which was importing most of its crude oil and then creating refined products with domestic needs and for the regional market.

“This import and refined model was being carried on with significant loan support from the national treasury. By 2018, in the absence of an improved crude oil supply, the accumulated debt and projections for sustained losses resulted in a restructuring of the state-owned company and this included the closure of the refinery, which, in the absence of a new source of crude, stands mothballed at Pointe-a-Pierre in Trinidad,” he said.

“This refinery and its supporting infrastructure are available for restart, upgrade and use on reasonable terms to any interested refiner or crude supplier,” he added.

Later in his address, as Rowley spoke on the proposed Dragon Gas Field deal, he again reminded the attendees of the availability of the refinery for sale.

“We are still exploring the market for a user for the refinery as mentioned,” he said.

Energy Minister Stuart Young told Guardian Media on Tuesday that proposals for the refinery keep coming in.

“The Prime Minister has again drawn reference to the fact that in T&T, there is an oil refinery that remains available. We are constantly, through TPHL (Trinidad Petroleum Holdings Ltd), looking at proposals because we continue to receive proposals, but if Guyana is interested that is something we have told them we would welcome.”

Speaking earlier in the day yesterday, Bharatt also addressed Guyana’s local content law, which caused some contention between businessmen from Guyana and T&T last year.

“Local content legislation is in no way a hindrance to investment coming into Guyana. It was never designed to be a hindrance to development or investment coming into our country, because we do need investors, we need partners to develop our resources in this county. We cannot do it alone,” Bharrat said.

He said Guyana is open for business.

“As a government, we have an open-door policy to investment we have an open-door policy to any investor coming into our country,” he said.

https://guardian.co.tt/news/guyana-not- ... fffd10a87e
Stale news, much ado about nothing. Guyana made their announcement months ago. Refining is extremely profitable if you have cheap oil, ie if you produce it yourself or somehow purchase at below market value. The patriotic bid is not looking so bad now lol. Anyway there's always the option of scrapping.

bluefete
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby bluefete » February 16th, 2023, 8:49 am

Dizzy28 wrote:
hover11 wrote:
wing wrote:
Wing,

CLICO

VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby VexXx Dogg » February 16th, 2023, 10:02 am

You think Guyana will get bitten by the Dutch Disease mosquito?

hover11
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby hover11 » February 16th, 2023, 10:20 am

VexXx Dogg wrote:You think Guyana will get bitten by the Dutch Disease mosquito?
Based on what their Prime Minister said , they trying their best not to be like Trinidad and end up in the situation that we are currently in, where we wasted the opportunity. They using us a poster child of what not to be given their new found resources. Which is probably why they want nothing to do with us , so Christopher can extend all the olive branches he wants to them , they will politely decline all.

wing
Riding on 18's

Postby wing » February 16th, 2023, 11:00 am

hover11 wrote:
VexXx Dogg wrote:You think Guyana will get bitten by the Dutch Disease mosquito?
Based on what their Prime Minister said , they trying their best not to be like Trinidad and end up in the situation that we are currently in, where we wasted the opportunity. They using us a poster child of what not to be given their new found resources. Which is probably why they want nothing to do with us , so Christopher can extend all the olive branches he wants to them , they will politely decline all.
It's also noteworthy that the electorate was mature enough to effect change just as the oil boom gets going. At least Guyana has started to use it's resources wisely and has looked to T&T for lessons on what not to do. After all their struggles, the Guyanese are poised to enjoy the good life. See what happens when there is a credible alternative to racist, classist and corrupt governance.

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”