Forums

watch your contents! - Protein in milk

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

dogg
Riding on 17's

Postby dogg » June 29th, 2018, 2:40 pm

Anyone else pay attention to the protein content in milk brands? I do!

Before there was major competition in the liquid milk market,, the protein content in a brand's reconstituted milk was
8.5g per 250ml

When the market became competitive, to undercut the competitor, the brand reduced the protein content in reconstituted milk to
7.5g per 250 ml
which I guess is still acceptable...

I noticed lately that the price of reconstituted milk was unusually low compared to other milks.
So, on checking the ingredients, I see that the protein content was now
6.5g per 250ml

So my question is how diluted can milk be before it is still considered to be milk?
Are there standards that govern milk quality? What are your thoughts on this?

X_Factor
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: watch your contents! - Protein in milk

Postby X_Factor » June 29th, 2018, 3:36 pm

uwi field station milk is 24$ 1.9L for 100% local and cows that are really grass fed
only thing is that the fat content is so high and damn tasty that a bottle doesnt last 2 days at home

originalbling
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby originalbling » June 29th, 2018, 3:44 pm

^^ yea sometimes you see some thick yellow stuff floating at the top of the bottles. shake well i guess lol

i have stopped buying that reconstituted stuff long time. There are at least two brands that are 100% milk, both imported and one claiming to be from local cows only.

ruffneck_12
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby ruffneck_12 » June 29th, 2018, 3:57 pm

local milk is the absolute bomb
THICC MILCC

Gladiator
punchin NOS

Postby Gladiator » June 29th, 2018, 7:10 pm

Could never understand the logic of skimmed milk and and people that buy it.... they take out the cream put it in another tin and sell the watery left back as skimmed milk for a higher price. Call it some fancy name like Svelty and people buying buying buying...

Nexus
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Nexus » June 29th, 2018, 7:13 pm

Where can I get the uwi field station milk? Can't remember seeing it in the supermarket

Gladiator
punchin NOS

Postby Gladiator » June 29th, 2018, 7:15 pm

Nexus wrote:Where can I get the uwi field station milk? Can't remember seeing it in the supermarket

At the UWI Field Station... you can buy it direct from them. Thursday is a good day to go.

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » June 29th, 2018, 7:17 pm

Gladiator wrote:Could never understand the logic of skimmed milk and and people that buy it.... they take out the cream put it in another tin and sell the watery left back as skimmed milk for a higher price. Call it some fancy name like Svelty and people buying buying buying...

Because wrong science taught the general population for 30 or 40 years that eating fat is heart disease. So skimmed milk. Then almond milk came along, which humans learned to extract from the almond tree mammary gland only found in almond trees grown in the city of Juba near the White Nile. Soy milk...

VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby VexXx Dogg » June 29th, 2018, 8:29 pm

Moo is supposed to be 100% milk with no reconstitution.
SOme Nestle products are also not reconstituted

fokhan_96
Riding on 17's

Postby fokhan_96 » June 29th, 2018, 8:50 pm

Why drink milk though...

not_a_monkey
Street 2NR

Postby not_a_monkey » June 29th, 2018, 8:55 pm

Nexus wrote:Where can I get the uwi field station milk? Can't remember seeing it in the supermarket
Massey and jta supermarkets carry it.

VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby VexXx Dogg » June 29th, 2018, 9:04 pm

fokhan_96 wrote:Why drink milk though...

because it's fkin delicious

De Dragon
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby De Dragon » June 29th, 2018, 10:33 pm

Don't understand the beat up. If a man believes that skim milk is healthier, and could afford it, then who's ollour?

K74T
TunerGod

Postby K74T » June 30th, 2018, 1:55 am

Massy Stores, JTA, Tru Valu.

fokhan_96
Riding on 17's

Postby fokhan_96 » June 30th, 2018, 6:29 am

VexXx Dogg wrote:
fokhan_96 wrote:Why drink milk though...

because it's fkin delicious
Milk is one of those things that some people either can't get enough of it or some (like myself) just can't even stand the smell of it..

Redress10
12 pounds of Boost

Postby Redress10 » June 30th, 2018, 4:57 pm

X_Factor wrote:uwi field station milk is 24$ 1.9L for 100% local and cows that are really grass fed
only thing is that the fat content is so high and damn tasty that a bottle doesnt last 2 days at home

That's a damn good price seeing that one of those 1 litre "pack" milk is up to 14 dollars a litre I believe.

Redress10
12 pounds of Boost

Postby Redress10 » June 30th, 2018, 5:05 pm

Gladiator wrote:Could never understand the logic of skimmed milk and and people that buy it.... they take out the cream put it in another tin and sell the watery left back as skimmed milk for a higher price. Call it some fancy name like Svelty and people buying buying buying...

Nothing more than marketing....What is sold as "skimmed" milk in the pack is nothing short of the lowest possible byproduct of the milk process. That sort of stuff isn't even readily available in developed nations. Fresh whole milk straight from the cow is already a very cheap product so there is no reason for them to "stretch" it to make a profit.
Ofc in our own personal backwater....Companies such as nest le market is as God's greatest gift and the Neanderthals lap it all up.

Redress10
12 pounds of Boost

Postby Redress10 » June 30th, 2018, 5:12 pm

VexXx Dogg wrote:Moo is supposed to be 100% milk with no reconstitution.
SOme Nestle products are also not reconstituted

Reconstituted milk is basically skimmed milk powder with water added to it. They basically remake the milk...I used to get serious bad diarrhea with that. Don't know how people could even consume that nastiness but I guess ignorance is bliss. The average Trini apart from when/if they go away etc has probably never had a proper glass of fresh cow's milk.

Any milk that isn't just pasteurized and homogenize before consumption is not really "milk". Powdered milk etc has palm oil in it for example. It's mainly used as cattle feed in the developed world. UHT changes the milk at the molecular level hence the taste changes. Both powdered and Uht milk are frowned upon the developed world. Milk is an extremely cheap product and the only by products of them are things like cheese and yogurt not powdered, uht or reconstituted milk.

Mods, can maybe embed this. Great eye opening documentary on the milk that we in the developing world consume.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KPWLSVn0ko

Jamaica on the other hand has available fresh cow's milk that is easily affordable but they also don't have a Nestle in their country.

X_Factor
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby X_Factor » June 30th, 2018, 6:46 pm

what we pay for a litre of "fresh" milk is very costly on the world scale
probably close to..if not 2usd per litre

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » June 30th, 2018, 7:59 pm

Nestlé full cream milk from Germany is cheaper than Nestlé full cream from Trinidad on the grocery shelf. Slightly different blue pack. Tastes the same, if not better.

Redress10
12 pounds of Boost

Postby Redress10 » June 30th, 2018, 8:43 pm

maj. tom wrote:Nestlé full cream milk from Germany is cheaper than Nestlé full cream from Trinidad on the grocery shelf. Slightly different blue pack. Tastes the same, if not better.

You mean "Moo"? Never noticed that Nestle imported milk from Germany.

Imagine Nestle gets subventions/subsidies from the Government and yet still the milk is more expensive than milk that is imported and have to pay shipping, duties and taxes etc. Madness

Redress10
12 pounds of Boost

Postby Redress10 » June 30th, 2018, 8:57 pm

How EU milk is sinking Africa’s farmers
European multinationals are aggressively pursuing one of milk’s few growth markets, where locals say they can’t compete.

By EMMET LIVINGSTONE 4/8/18, 6:00 PM CET Updated 4/18/18, 7:15 PM CET
European milk is pouring into Africa, with disastrous effects for local herders and farmers.

Multibillion-euro dairy multinationals are exploiting rock-bottom European milk prices to expand aggressively into West Africa. Over five years, they have nearly tripled their exports to the region, shipping milk powder produced by heavily subsidized European farmers to be transformed into liquid milk for the region’s booming middle class.

https://www.politico.eu/article/eus-mil ... or-africa/

Excellent read for anyone who has time.

This is where we have to get smart. There is no reason why we shouldn't take advantage of the record low prices for powdered european milk. The milk is basically being dumped in Africa yet somehow being sold as a premium product on our shelves. That milk should be imported for manufacturing and industrial purposes(ready made meals/ drinks etc) and our local farmers incentivised to provide fresh milk for our consumption daily.

Imagine 1 litre of fresh milk in Africa sells for 1usd but in here it's close to 3usd...We really defy logic.

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » June 30th, 2018, 9:09 pm

Nah it was Nestlé. I saw it in the country around Feb/March. And it was like $10.50.
It is a pack like this, not the local packaging and in English. I think it was meant for the Far East market. Milk was from Germany.

EFFECTIC DESIGNS
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby EFFECTIC DESIGNS » July 1st, 2018, 1:15 pm

I does only buy the Moo milk full cream, I don't fall for the skimmed milk scam. It boggles the mind how anybody can believe in the skimmed milk scam considering that humans have evolved drinking full cream milk for thousands upon thousands of years and never once had an issue.

One of the problems is as John Oliver pointed out, it is the fault of the retarded journalists who misuse scientific publications because they too dotish to understand what is written in those scientific articles. Furthermore our teachers in the school system them parrot those same load of rubbish to students and combined with clever marketing from Nestle and other companies we have a population which is poorly informed.

With that said, reconstituted milk is rubbish and nobody should ever buy that nonsense. UHT (ultra High temperature) milk is somewhat OK and the only one I buy is from Moo milk because it tastes acceptable and isn't as watery tasting. Then there is UWI field station which carries the true original pasteurized milk, this is the holy milk of all milk and is a taste worth dying for.

The downside to traditional pasteurized milk is short shelf life and it MUST be cold at all times so the cost is higher. Where as UHT milk can last for many months in the heat as Ultra High Temperature kills most of the bacteria giving it more shelf life. The downside is UHT kills most of the lovely milk taste from it.

If only I could find a place in Piarco / Caroni area that sells the UWI field station milk

EFFECTIC DESIGNS
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby EFFECTIC DESIGNS » July 1st, 2018, 1:20 pm

BTW

Where do you guys buy your UWI field station milk? where exactly?

VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby VexXx Dogg » July 1st, 2018, 4:32 pm

UWI field station is located inside mt hope, opposite Lok Jack GSB.
Drive in, pass TTEC on the left, then take a right.
Fresh milk, fresh meat, good prices.

rspann
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rspann » July 1st, 2018, 4:55 pm

EFFECTIC DESIGNS wrote:BTW

ED, the PNM ting by your work have big tot tots?

Screenshot_2018-07-01-17-05-10.png

K74T
TunerGod

Postby K74T » July 1st, 2018, 5:33 pm

Redress10 wrote:
X_Factor wrote:uwi field station milk is 24$ 1.9L for 100% local and cows that are really grass fed

That's a damn good price seeing that one of those 1 litre "pack" milk is up to 14 dollars a litre I believe.

Other than those small groceries/mini marts in Tobago, I’ve never seen a 1L milk for more than $12.50 anywhere. Not even SuperPharm.

EFFECTIC DESIGNS
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby EFFECTIC DESIGNS » July 1st, 2018, 5:41 pm

rspann wrote:
EFFECTIC DESIGNS wrote:BTW

ED, the PNM ting by your work have big tot tots?

Screenshot_2018-07-01-17-05-10.png

All the PNM thing does have big tot tots the problem is all of them is mampie.

Is only them Indian down south does does be skinny, I see one the other day in princes town in a grocery I think she works there a pretty looking Indian, she had a skinny frame and huge tits. Princes Town is without a doubt the place in Trinidad where you could find the most models. I went down there last week and couldn't believe my eyes everywhere I turn is one set ah bess thing, then I come back up north and is one set ah ugly PNM mampie with false hair.

X_Factor
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby X_Factor » July 1st, 2018, 5:59 pm

VexXx Dogg wrote:UWI field station is located inside mt hope, opposite Lok Jack GSB.
Drive in, pass TTEC on the left, then take a right.
Fresh milk, fresh meat, good prices.

sales lock off at 1pm i believe and if you want raw milk walk with ur container before 9am

meat prices are slightly above average ...chicken was/is 15$ a lb processed
pork varies based on the general cut of meat
what you get there is more on the natural side in terms of what the animal eats, living conditions etc

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”