TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

Should Venezuelan refugees be allowed to live in T&T?

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Yes
47%
No
53%

Total votes: 191

abducted
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby abducted » April 6th, 2018, 8:18 pm

Don’t send us home

34 Venezuelans earmarked for deportation beg

Thirty-four Venezuelan nationals, detained at the Immigration Detention Centre in Aripo, who are to be deported soon, are begging to be allowed to stay in this country so they can get jobs and send much needed basic amenities to their loved ones who are suffering in their homeland.

However, National Security Minister Edmund Dillon said this will not happen and all 34 will be deported as they do not meet the criteria to be considered as refugees. On March 8, Dillon spoke to some of the Venezuelans during his visit to the detention centre to view refurbishment work done at the facility.

During that visit, the detainees from Venezuela were told that arrangements are being made via the Venezuelan Embassy to have that country’s government agree to a letter of acceptance to have them repatriated. The detained Venezuelans are unhappy with this plan saying they have nothing to return to in Venezuela except their families.

Venezuela is gripped by crippling inflation and economic collapse following the plummet in oil prices. They are also facing political instability and social unrest because of food shortages and lack of jobs.

Two of the detainees, who contacted Newsday, said they would prefer to seek asylum or refugee status in this country and feel they should be given an opportunity by the TT government on humanitarian grounds, to work in Trinidad and send food and basic amenities to loved ones back home.

“My family back home is starving, they have no food, no toilet paper no medication for my ailing father. Things have gone haywire and my relatives are living on boiled corn and provisions. They are very unhappy and they were hoping I would work in Trinidad to purchase items and send back to them. But now that I am a detainee I do not know how they are making out. I want to remain here and earn an honest living, I do not want to go back,” said one of the detainees who gave his name only as Juan Carlos.

The second detainee, who said his name was Miguel, complained of the hardships facing his family in Venezuela and pointed out that his wife has cancer and cannot get treatment. He was hoping to earn some money working in the construction sector in Trinidad to purchase medication on the black market to send back home.

“I do not know how my wife is doing, if she is alive or dead, I have no contact with relatives and I have sleepless nights at this detention centre. I need someone to listen to my plight,” Miguel said.

Contacted for comment, Dillon said he is continuing discussions with Venezuela’s Ambassador to TT Coromoto Godoy Calderon with a view to getting the Venezuelan government to issue a letter of acceptance for the detainees to be sent home. He said a Coast Guard vessel will take the detainees when the clearance is received.

Dillon said all the Venezuelan detainees will be sent home and there is no question of any of them being allowed to remain in this country. He said they do not qualify for asylum status. “The reality is they have to go back home despite the economic crisis in Venezuela,” Dillon said adding that the law must be adhered.

According to an immigration official, the Venezuelans are classified as “economic migrants,” many of whom had either entered the country illegally or destroyed their travel documents on arrival.

hydroep
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Re: Should Venezuelans be allowed to live in T&T?

Postby hydroep » April 6th, 2018, 8:50 pm

Once they're going through the proper channels, no problem. But for those breaking the law (sneaking in here, destroying documents etc.)...nah...send dem home.

kstt
Riding on 16's

Postby kstt » April 6th, 2018, 10:33 pm

Would this deportation apply to Nigerians, Guyanese, Caribbean nationals?

Who putting a strain on our healthcare system and other systems free of charge?

Many Caribbean nationals come here for free healthcare which they are not provided in their home country

paid_influencer
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby paid_influencer » April 6th, 2018, 10:37 pm

immigration law should be enforced.

that said, a smarter country would see a cheap labor pool that can be productive. There is no reason why humanitarian causes can't be profitable.

The_Honourable
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby The_Honourable » April 6th, 2018, 10:49 pm

Btw... are there any legit places where i can donate food to the Venezuelans?

Actually, have there been any drives by religious institutions for example to have donation drives for the Venezuelans?

paid_influencer
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby paid_influencer » April 6th, 2018, 10:54 pm

kstt wrote:Would this deportation apply to Nigerians, Guyanese, Caribbean nationals?

Many Caribbean nationals come here for free healthcare which they are not provided in their home country

if the Guyanese are here working hard and making an honest living, I doh see a problem.

Zetski
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby Zetski » April 6th, 2018, 11:51 pm

Short answer; No
Long answer: Nooooooo

stev
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: Should Venezuelan refugees be allowed to live in T&T?

Postby stev » April 7th, 2018, 1:30 am

Venezuelans work harder than locals...in all aspects.

...just sayin...u all cant prove me wrong.

hydroep
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby hydroep » April 7th, 2018, 5:00 am

Back in the 80s Trinbagonians were running to Canada claiming refugee status and it's debatable whether things were as bad for them as some Venezuelans have it now.

Helping is one thing but we're in danger of being overrun. Sh!tkicker & Co. really need to pull their heads out of their arse...things getting serious...

INVASION

From left, Curtis Belford, from the Office of Law Enforcement Policy; National Security Ministry Permanent Secretary Vashti Singh and Ag Chief Immigration Officer Charmaine Gandhi-Andrews yesterday at the Joint Select Committee meeting in the Parliament Tower, Port of Spain.

The Venezuelan invasion is well and truly on.

Driven by hunger, hopelessness and a search for a better life, Venezuelans are leaving their homeland and flocking to this country, some seeking asylum but most arriving here illegally.

A Joint Select Committee (JSC) of Parliament, convened yesterday to discuss Human Rights, Equality and Diversity, heard that a large percentage of those kept at the Immigration Detention Centre (IDC) in Arima, are Venezuelans. That South American nation is gripped with social and political unrest coupled by economic collapse.

The JSC panel was told by Acting Chief Immigration Office Charmaine Gandhi-Andrews that on a weekly basis, between 150 and 200 Venezuelans arrive in Cedros by pirogue...most with no legal documents. And these are the Venezuelans the authorities know about. How many countless others arriving in the country by other means, no one quite knows.

She reported that 90 per cent of the Venezuelans currently detained at the Immigration Detention Centre (IDC) in Aripo had entered the country illegally or had criminal convictions such as possession of drugs for the purpose of trafficking or arms and ammunitions. She also reported at the IDC there were currently 37 males and 30 females from Venezuela, which was more than half of the 120 people detained.

JSC member Esmond Forde asked about the trend of Venezuelans at the IDC and there appeared to be a change from detainees from Africa or the Caribbean. He reported that for Venezuelan detainees: in 2015 there were 29 males and no females; in 2016 there were 125 males and 97 females; and in 2017 there were 145 males and 82 females.

“So we are seeing where the numbers are increasing as a result of what was happening with our next door neighbours.” He asked what proactive systems are being put in place to address this issue. Gandhi-Andrews responded the issue was complex with more people entering illegally. She said the numbers of Venezuelans entering this country from legal ports of entry had reduced from 60,000 between 2014 and 2015 to about 28,000 last year.

Gandhi-Andrews pointed out they do not have the numbers for Venezuelans entering the country illegally but she surmised that with the numbers being picked up for entering illegally she could safely say that larger numbers are arriving illegally and more were being detained.

She also reported that the numbers of Venezuelans that had applied for asylum has increased from five in 2016 to today about 2,000 and daily it is rising. She said most of the Venezuelans entering illegally did not have travel documents and the assistance from Venezuelan authorities was not functioning as before and the officials were only available on certain days.

Gandhi-Andrews reported some Venezuelans had been repatriated by boat but there was only so many people who could go on a vessel. She said there was a plan for the Coast Guard to assist in repatriating Venezuelans but this has not materialised. She also reported that some of the Venezuelans preferred a flight so they could be placed closer to their homes.

JSC member Glenda Jennings-Smith asked why the Venezuelans could not be dropped at a port of entry but Gandhi-Andrews said some have no money and immigration officials would try to contact their families to pick them up or send money.

“I agree we could just take them and drop them anywhere in Venezuela and let them make their way from whatever point we drop them off at. But I think it would be irresponsible of us...to try to do something like that and just leave them wherever it is.” She added: “We would not put them outside to the wolves. We would try to contact someone.”

http://newsday.co.tt/2018/04/06/invasion/

Gem_in_i
18 pounds of Boost

Postby Gem_in_i » April 7th, 2018, 5:11 am

These are the ones who were living on the pavement in POS?

shake d livin wake d dead
TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » April 7th, 2018, 5:54 am

stev wrote:Venezuelans work harder than locals...in all aspects.

This...much harder, more effective, more pleasant, more helpful...more everything

kstt
Riding on 16's

Postby kstt » April 7th, 2018, 6:56 am

paid_influencer wrote:
kstt wrote:Would this deportation apply to Nigerians, Guyanese, Caribbean nationals?

if the Guyanese are here working hard and making an honest living, I doh see a problem.

So why not the Venezuelans eh Guyanese?

I read an article which stated early in the 90s Trinis fled to Venezuela and was accepted and provided for. Why not help them as they did for us. What does these waste of time Caricom nations fmdo for us?

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » April 7th, 2018, 7:13 am

No to illegal immigration! Nobody telling them not to come if things hard, but do it the correct way like all the others who did, who working hard, who registered and paying taxes, who paying for their part in healthcare and transport, etc. Apply for refugee status and subject themselves to the same laws all of us are. Refugees register with the government and pay taxes as well. That's how refugee status works!

Illegal immigration causes all sorts of problems in the long run for any country. What kind of hippie-shit ideas some people does have about refugees, I don't know. This ain't a rainbow land for all to share for free!

Dizzy28
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Dizzy28 » April 7th, 2018, 8:45 am

So much local Trumps in Trinidad!!!

Daran
Shifting into 6th

Postby Daran » April 7th, 2018, 9:22 am

Immigration is usually good for a country. And most of these venea come to work so it can be good. Especially in boosting our productivity as the locals too freaking lazy and incompetent.

That said, you will have to limit and ensure they’re taxed properly so all the money doesn’t just leave TNT. Also we have a forex shortage and for sure they’ll be making that worst.

You know what just bring over some sexy women.

gastly369
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby gastly369 » April 7th, 2018, 2:18 pm

When I can't enjoy my time fishing with family and friends in safety out in the seas... Send allllllllllll dem mc back sry say don't endanger my family n friends for your benefits those made it bad for who prob really need genuine help and my prayers goes out to them

Start to use those patrol boats cg...

DTAC
18 pounds of Boost

Postby DTAC » April 7th, 2018, 6:39 pm

How we ain't properly inundated astounds me. Thousands are fleeing across the border to Colombia on an almost daily basis.

Is Trinidad seen as so sh!tty that even people from a county with such a broken economy that toilet paper is something worth smuggling across the border don't bother coming to?? Anything better than a bathtub can make it to Trinidad shores, how we ain't seeing a Dunkirk like landing like in Europe?

The_Honourable
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby The_Honourable » April 8th, 2018, 1:16 am

I'm against illegal immigration. That being said, this is a refugee crisis which is out of the ordinary. I have no problems with Venezuelans coming here looking for food, medicine and even a job. Immigration just need the resources to capture these Venezuelans in a database and monitor them.

This situation needs to be taken seriously by T&T, and Government needs to be clear on the proper channels to get refugee status. From what I understand, we don't even have proper laws governing refugees. I'm sure there is a framework in other countries we can use to help out refugees until the situation sorts out itself in Venezuela.

National Security can even set up refugee welcome zones. Cedros is a good spot, also Chacachacare and Monos Island.

Is it possible for T&T to ask Caricom and even the United Nations for help?

streetbeastINC.
punchin NOS

Postby streetbeastINC. » April 8th, 2018, 1:59 am

So the vene govt still not doing anything to help the ppl???

Redman
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Redman » April 8th, 2018, 4:29 am

paid_influencer wrote:immigration law should be enforced.

that said, a smarter country would see a cheap labor pool that can be productive. There is no reason why humanitarian causes can't be profitable.

Smarter countries like the Euro that are now buckling under the spin off of open borders?

we can't support an infinite number of people.

boxy
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby boxy » April 8th, 2018, 6:08 am

Redman wrote:

Smarter countries like the Euro that are now buckling under the spin off of open borders?

Where are your facts on Europe buckling under this immigrant pressure?

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » April 8th, 2018, 6:18 am

Frig dem, I wah stay in vene

Daran
Shifting into 6th

Postby Daran » April 8th, 2018, 9:07 am

boxy wrote:
Redman wrote:

Where are your facts on Europe buckling under this immigrant pressure?

Lol if it wasn’t for immigration Euro economies would be collapsing.

boxy
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby boxy » April 8th, 2018, 9:09 am

lol exactly I feel them men does get their news from Facebook or better yet Infowars.com

The_Honourable
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby The_Honourable » April 8th, 2018, 12:10 pm

EU presses tough migration stance with more Turkey money, stricter visa rules

BRUSSELS (Reuters) - The European Union on Wednesday said it would chip in another three billion euros ($3.7 billion) for Syrian refugees in Turkey, and restrict travel for countries refusing to take back their citizens who fail to obtain asylum in Europe.

The latest measures to curb immigration from the Middle East and Africa, which overwhelmed the bloc when it surged in 2015-16, were announced by the EU’s top migration official, Dimitris Avramopoulos.

Some 1.8 million refugees and migrants have reached Europe across the Mediterranean since 2014, according to U.N. figures, causing friction among member states at odds over how to handle them and lifting support for nationalist and populist parties.

The EU has since been tightening its external borders and asylum laws, as well as offering money and other help to third countries in exchange for preventing people from trekking north.

More: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-euro ... SKCN1GQ1DX

Pulled out a main chunk from this article:

Europe Still Struggling with 'Intersectional' Issues of Crime, Terrorism, and Mass Migration

"I'm sure that some progressives will object to any implication of connectivity among mass migration, crime, and terror — which is ironic, given their recent emphasis on the notion of "intersectionality", the connectedness of things — and yet we see it perfectly, again and again, in Lakdim and others of his ilk, such as the perpetrators of the March 2016 terror attacks at the international airport in Brussels (who had also been involved in planning the 2015 terrorist attack in Paris).

To be sure, not all migrants, even those who take advantage of mass migration events to cross borders illegally, will be involved in crime or terror. But it is equally sure that criminals and terrorists will seek protective coloration by hiding among the multitudes of others who cross borders or live in isolated religious/cultural/ethnic enclaves within a nation's borders. They become difficult to identify or isolate this way; the larger the haystack, the more difficult it is to find the needles within.

Logic dictates that, confronted with this reality and given the inability of state security forces to adequately police and protect their society, governments would systematically trim the size of those haystacks, especially in light of the porous nature of European borders. Not so. In fact, the European Union (EU) continues to press its member states to accept their assigned quota of the roughly two million aliens who migrated by "irregular" means over the past three years, or face fines and other sanctions.

Many EU nations, particularly those to the east who were the first recipients of the landward portion of the human tidal wave, have pushed back. This isn't surprising, since they had little part in instigating it or accepting it in the first place.

Confronting an EU that seems unwilling or unable to develop a coherent immigration control and enforcement strategy, the various nations have been obliged to develop their own methods. Some have done better than others."

More: https://cis.org/Cadman/Europe-Still-Str ... -Migration

Pulled out a few chunks from this article:

Why do politicians refuse to tell it how it is on immigration?

It is the one issue where our leaders deny the wishes of their citizens. They must find the courage to say the unsayable

Whether their politicians allow them to make the connection or not, in the wake of terrorist attacks in Brussels, London, Paris, Berlin, Barcelona and other cities the public also recognise the connection between terrorism and open borders. Asked whether immigration brings problems including crime and terrorism, the majority of Europeans believe that it does. While 82 per cent think it is very or somewhat likely that a terrorist attack could happen in their country, 62 per cent also think that immigrants bring an increase in crime. Of course this remains a subject which, if uttered by a mainstream politician, could end their political career. And yet it is not only a majority opinion, but provable. Research commissioned by the German government and published in January found that there had been a large increase in crime in Germany in recent years and that more than 90 per cent of that crime could be attributed to young male migrants. How strange it is that something should be a majority public opinion, and a provable opinion at that, and still remain politically unsayable.

One of the most sensitive issues to emerge has been that of migrant quotas. Across the continent since the 2015 surge, the EU has been attempting to make each member state pay for a decision which was unilaterally decided upon by the German government. Whether every other member state should help ameliorate Angela Merkel’s mistake is a heated issue — and not only in eastern Europe. At the height of the 2015 crisis, the British government refused to accept any migrant quotas enforced from Berlin or Brussels. But for the remaining member states this remains a potentially crunch issue.

Despite often outrageous claims to the contrary, this is not to say that Europeans are hostile to those legitimately fleeing war or conflict. Far from it. But what the Project 28 figures once again show is that most people want Europe to respond (as Britain does) by helping people in the region they are fleeing rather than encouraging them to come to Europe.

Read all the details here: https://www.spectator.co.uk/2018/03/why ... migration/

burkmenistan
Street 2NR

Postby burkmenistan » April 8th, 2018, 3:32 pm

No.

if they are allowed in, then all the others must come too.

onnly so much room to be afforded.

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » April 8th, 2018, 3:48 pm

They might actually work. We might get productivity

Redman
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Redman » April 8th, 2018, 4:17 pm

Info wars indeed.

https://worldview.stratfor.com/article/ ... ant-crisis

Sure there are many that will work....but just like here there will be many that are less than productive....like every other sample of any other population.

Are our social services up to the task....how they doing without additional numbers?

QuietGiant
3NE 2NR for life

Postby QuietGiant » April 8th, 2018, 6:58 pm

stev wrote:Venezuelans work harder than locals...in all aspects.

Is true. Some trinis working sales does twist up dey face when you ask dem fuh help & always hurry tuh get something done. Vene rel helpful and present deyself better.

QuietGiant
3NE 2NR for life

Postby QuietGiant » April 8th, 2018, 7:00 pm

"Where every creed and race find an equal place" just in the anthem for style?

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”