TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

Acceptable lifespan for average car battery!

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Musical Doc
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Re: Acceptable lifespan for average car battery!

Postby Musical Doc » November 10th, 2021, 2:59 pm

So I had my first experience dealing with Pricesmart battery warranty today. Bought a battery in Jan 2021 and failed yesterday. Tried charging it and it not holding charge and car not even tumbling. So I called yesterday and the lady told me that I have to bring the battery and the car for their technician to check it. If I bring the battery alone, I'll have to wait 7-14 days to get sorted. So ok cool, borrowed a battery and started my car this morning, put back bad battery in the car an drove to pricesmart. Guy checked and they checked my car as if they were looking for a reason to say that my car is the problem. But everything in my car checked out fine.

So the warranty says 1 yr free replacement, so I was expecting just a simple replacement. However their procedure apparently is to refund you for your old battery, then you go to the shelf and buy yourself a new battery. I went along with it not really thinking much. got my refund of $750 so went on the shelf, and there was the new batteries, for $830. Then I realized that was the catch lol. Lucky for them, I had already wasted alot of time on this battery replacement so I just purchased and installed it an got going.

The only upside of payin that $80 extra is that I have the full warranty on this new battery, whereas if it was replaced, normally the warranty given would be the balance of the warranty time left from the old battery

Strugglerzinc
punchin NOS

Postby Strugglerzinc » November 10th, 2021, 3:37 pm

Well dem fvkers didn't ask me nothing about the car, which was outside when I took the battery back. Still awaiting a call/text/whatsapp/letter/carrier pigeon.

Going back tomorrow to take back my battery regardless of outcome and possibly cuss them depending on my mood.

MG Man
2NRholic

Postby MG Man » November 11th, 2021, 8:45 am

tbh, for the price of a battery in Price Smart, I wouldn't even stress over that experience

Musical Doc
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby Musical Doc » November 11th, 2021, 10:00 am

But alot of people purchase batteries with the warranty policy being an important consideration. One by one, my list of places that I would purchase batteries is being shortened because of poor battery performance and poor customer service. These are Bosch and Rocket and now pricesmart eveready battery added to that list. Next time I have to buy a battery I may probably try Lange.

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 88sins » November 11th, 2021, 10:26 am

Musical Doc wrote:But alot of people purchase batteries with the warranty policy being an important consideration. One by one, my list of places that I would purchase batteries is being shortened because of poor battery performance and poor customer service. These are Bosch and Rocket and now pricesmart eveready battery added to that list. Next time I have to buy a battery I may probably try Lange.

you in the mood for headache.

Dave
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Dave » November 11th, 2021, 10:29 am

Stay far from Track!
Miatsu has given me good service. Haven't used a Power Master in years.

*KRONIK*
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *KRONIK* » November 11th, 2021, 10:46 am

Dave wrote:Stay far from Track!
Using one in the vitara currently
Going on 2years, 4months so far

Strugglerzinc
punchin NOS

Postby Strugglerzinc » November 11th, 2021, 11:29 am

Strugglerzinc wrote:Well dem fvkers didn't ask me nothing about the car, which was outside when I took the battery back. Still awaiting a call/text/whatsapp/letter/carrier pigeon.

Going back tomorrow to take back my battery regardless of outcome and possibly cuss them depending on my mood.

Well they did call today. They did find a problem and issued a refund for $1350 out of the $1450.

In this instance I was wrong about Pricemart.
Not going to buy another battery there however as I've always had issues, this being the first time getting the warranty honored.

Musical Doc
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby Musical Doc » November 11th, 2021, 12:22 pm

88sins wrote:
Musical Doc wrote:But alot of people purchase batteries with the warranty policy being an important consideration. One by one, my list of places that I would purchase batteries is being shortened because of poor battery performance and poor customer service. These are Bosch and Rocket and now pricesmart eveready battery added to that list. Next time I have to buy a battery I may probably try Lange.

you in the mood for headache.

ahahaha well another one off the list! Thanks!

Musical Doc
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby Musical Doc » November 11th, 2021, 12:23 pm

Who is the dealer for Miatsu Dave?

Musical Doc
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby Musical Doc » November 11th, 2021, 12:23 pm

Strugglerzinc wrote:
Strugglerzinc wrote:Well dem fvkers didn't ask me nothing about the car, which was outside when I took the battery back. Still awaiting a call/text/whatsapp/letter/carrier pigeon.

Well they did call today. They did find a problem and issued a refund for $1350 out of the $1450.

In this instance I was wrong about Pricemart.
Not going to buy another battery there however as I've always had issues, this being the first time getting the warranty honored.

Great news bro.

gastly369
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby gastly369 » November 11th, 2021, 12:25 pm

I woulda like the redtop but would be under harsh conditions heat wise... Might just bite the bullet and but the d34 them

Dave
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Dave » November 11th, 2021, 1:46 pm

Chamco Distributors.
Musical Doc wrote:

Who is the dealer for Miatsu Dave?

j.o.e
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby j.o.e » November 11th, 2021, 2:34 pm

Years ago used to use Track. Never last the warranty but easy return. Used a Yuasa some years ago and didn’t last warranty and return was a sheit show (loaner battery and send yours to analyze before honouring warranty)
Can’t remember what I’m running now but European cars with their trunk mounted batteries do well I guess because of stable temps. All my European cars the battery lasts 6 years on average.

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 88sins » November 11th, 2021, 5:29 pm

People in this country does watch battery warranty as though it's an indication of how long it should last. Not realizing, it's just an indication of the minimum time it should give proper service without problems.

If a battery don't last at least 6 months past it's warranty period with normal usage, it NOT worth the money.

Strugglerzinc
punchin NOS

Postby Strugglerzinc » November 11th, 2021, 9:48 pm

Remember when ACL had 2 year replacement warranty and their batteries fail at 20-23 months. In my family alone we maybe get 6-7 batteries replaced over the years.

Instead of improving the battery, they reduced the warranty to 18 months. Would you say the battery is now worth it?

Modern corporate solutions to problems and all that.

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 88sins » November 11th, 2021, 10:03 pm

So, their solution, instead of improving product quality, was to sell the same shiddy product with a shorter warranty. Thus costing them less (nothing new or better added to improve product quality), and costing you more (cuz battery warranty expires faster, causing you to have to buy a new one sooner)

You feel that would make it worth it?
To me, the only thing that would make those adjustments make the product worth it, is if the also dropped the price to be in line with the new warranty period.

Other than that, it eh worth it.

Dizzy28
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Dizzy28 » November 11th, 2021, 10:05 pm

Strugglerzinc wrote:Remember when ACL had 2 year replacement warranty and their batteries fail at 20-23 months. In my family alone we maybe get 6-7 batteries replaced over the years.

Instead of improving the battery, they reduced the warranty to 18 months. Would you say the battery is now worth it?

Modern corporate solutions to problems and all that.

Replaced an ACL in June at 34 months.
Replacement is also an ACL.

Haven't had a bad experience with them as yet.

Ted_v2
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Ted_v2 » November 14th, 2021, 7:22 pm

powermaster in my ole diesel so far. got 26 months of the first unit, on my second. at just around 14 months.

one slow crank and i changing once it pass 18 months, i eh able with that headache.

hindian
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby hindian » November 15th, 2021, 3:02 am

Using Power Master in all my vehicles for as long as I remember and always get 2-3 years out of them. Currently have a 13 plate 825cca in my l200 and the same battery in my wife's Matrix. So far so good.

Strugglerzinc
punchin NOS

Postby Strugglerzinc » November 15th, 2021, 10:19 am

So what's the difference between Power Master and Turbo batteries?

It's just a different sticker as far as I can tell.

IAmDaniel
Riding on 13's

Postby IAmDaniel » November 17th, 2021, 2:40 pm

Strugglerzinc wrote:So what's the difference between Power Master and Turbo batteries?

yea to me its the same. I suspect sticker brands on cheapo chinese batteries as well. Got this from One stop Batt shop, 18 mths warranty. Wanna see how it holds up.Had a redtop d34 previously for 3 yrs n it went flat due to alt not charging (any1 ever tried charging back a redtop by chance?).
PXL_20211117_181106088~2.jpg
Last edited by IAmDaniel on November 17th, 2021, 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gastly369
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby gastly369 » November 17th, 2021, 2:52 pm

IAmDaniel wrote:
Strugglerzinc wrote:So what's the difference between Power Master and Turbo batteries?

yea to me its the same. I suspect sticker brands on cheapo chinese batteries as well. 18 mth warranty. Got this from One stop Batt shop. Wanna see how it holds up.Had a redtop d34 previously for 3 yrs n it went flat due to alt not charging (any1 ever tried charging back a redtop by chance?).
Yeh got mines to work last year and working good since... Went flat... Used a trickle charge overnight and then normal

IAmDaniel
Riding on 13's

Postby IAmDaniel » November 17th, 2021, 9:37 pm

gastly369 wrote:
IAmDaniel wrote:

yea to me its the same. I suspect sticker brands on cheapo chinese batteries as well. 18 mth warranty. Got this from One stop Batt shop. Wanna see how it holds up.Had a redtop d34 previously for 3 yrs n it went flat due to alt not charging (any1 ever tried charging back a redtop by chance?).
Yeh got mines to work last year and working good since... Went flat... Used a trickle charge overnight and then normal
dont have a charger. dammit

Musical Doc
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby Musical Doc » November 18th, 2021, 12:57 pm

Ok so can we also discuss the acceptable lifespan of these AGM batteries that hybrids use? I have been seeing alot of debate on the fb aqua group about using a regular battery vs an AGM battery which is recommended to be used in hybrids like the awua. The AGM is more expensive but should give u longer life. Some people say a regular battery can be used, but the main argument for not using a regular battery is that since the battery is inside the car, it is not safe to use a regular battery because of the gases that it may give off. The AGm batteries have a vent which a hose connects to send those gases out of the car

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 88sins » November 18th, 2021, 6:43 pm

Agm and traditional batteries both produce the same gases, and they both have vents to expel those gases. Sealed batteries usually vent on the sides, traditional ones on the top.

Trying to figure out what exactly you trying to figure out.
When in doubt, lithium and done.

Musical Doc
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby Musical Doc » November 19th, 2021, 8:40 am

88sins wrote:Agm and traditional batteries both produce the same gases, and they both have vents to expel those gases. Sealed batteries usually vent on the sides, traditional ones on the top.

Trying to figure out what exactly you trying to figure out.
When in doubt, lithium and done.

I'm trying to figure out what kind of lifespan anyone has gotten with an AGM.

From what I see the AGM has a vent which allows a hose to be connected to vent that gas out of the vehicle. Traditional batteries do not have this, so I don't think its safe to use a traditional battery in a hybrid because the gases would be vented inside the vehicle.

Dave
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Dave » November 19th, 2021, 9:45 am

Think AGM's have now gotten more popular with the introduction of more vehicles requiring them to be used so the jury is still out in a final verdict as to longevity.

MG Man
2NRholic

Postby MG Man » November 19th, 2021, 10:19 am

Dave wrote:Think AGM's have now gotten more popular with the introduction of more vehicles requiring them to be used so the jury is still out in a final verdict as to longevity.

OEM AGM batteries see all kinda 5-8 years service
I have a Stinger AGM in my car for about 4 years now
1.6 MINI Cooper diesel

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 88sins » November 19th, 2021, 5:07 pm

In addition to the life span of the battery, we also need to consider things like the weight of the bank, and its space requirements, as well as safety.

EVs and hybrids really need to start phasing lead-acid batteries.

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”