TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

Would You Rather Hustle Or Education?

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Jared Mohammed
3NE 2NR for life

Most Useful University Degrees, Vocational Diplomas/Training. (General Jobs are also included)

Postby Jared Mohammed » February 20th, 2023, 6:56 pm

This part of the forum has been filled with too much negativity. Let us, instead, guide others in what path they should take and list the useful degrees, training or general jobs that you, the community, believe more persons should be aware about.
Last edited by Jared Mohammed on February 20th, 2023, 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jared Mohammed
3NE 2NR for life

Re: Most Useful University Degrees, Vocational Diplomas/Training. (General Jobs are also included)

Postby Jared Mohammed » February 20th, 2023, 7:28 pm

I would say one great degree to get is Psychology. To understand the human mind and the ways we interact to others is a priceless asset to have.

alfa
Shifting into 6th

Re: Most Useful University Degrees, Vocational Diplomas/Training. (General Jobs are also included)

Postby alfa » February 20th, 2023, 8:02 pm

Jared Mohammed wrote:I would say one great degree to get is Psychology. To understand the human mind and the ways we interact to others is a priceless asset to have.

What are the job prospects for that field? And I'll go out on a limb to say that psychology doesn't necessarily help your understanding the human mind as there are often different contradicting theories in said field. Case in point my favorite psychologist is Jordan Peterson but a lot of people disagree with what he says even though he's an actual psychologist

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 88sins » February 20th, 2023, 8:07 pm

Jared Mohammed wrote:I would say one great degree to get is Psychology. To understand the human mind and the ways we interact to others is a priceless asset to have.

Another useless degree.
But you see chemical engineering and pharmacology? those are two disciplines that have literally unlimited potential, especially if you like R&D and have a specific goal/objective in mind.

Jared Mohammed
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Jared Mohammed » February 20th, 2023, 8:40 pm

88sins wrote:

Another useless degree.
But you see chemical engineering and pharmacology? those are two disciplines that have literally unlimited potential, especially if you like R&D and have a specific goal/objective in mind.
We don't have a Pharmacology degree here locally or have any industries that is related to making them, UWI Cave Hill Campus and UWI Mona Campus have those programmes (the former is a Master Degree for those doing MBBS, I think and the latter is if you decide to do only 4 of the 6 years to get a Doctorate in Pharmacy).

For Chemical Engineering, it was good when we had Petrotrin. But ever since they cease operations there are not much spaces available for those who want to pursue in that direction. Electrical Engineering and Mechanical Engineering, both, have way more job openings available for them meaning that getting said job would be less competitive.

Jared Mohammed
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Jared Mohammed » February 20th, 2023, 8:43 pm

alfa wrote:

What are the job prospects for that field? And I'll go out on a limb to say that psychology doesn't necessarily help your understanding the human mind as there are often different contradicting theories in said field. Case in point my favorite psychologist is Jordan Peterson but a lot of people disagree with what he says even though he's an actual psychologist
If you get your Master degree within that field you can practice to be a clinical Psychologist and potentially open your own business.

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 88sins » February 20th, 2023, 9:36 pm

Jared Mohammed wrote:
88sins wrote:

Another useless degree.
We don't have a Pharmacology degree here locally or have any industries that is related to making them, UWI Cave Hill Campus and UWI Mona Campus have those programmes (the former is a Master Degree for those doing MBBS, I think and the latter is if you decide to do only 4 of the 6 years to get a Doctorate in Pharmacy).

For Chemical Engineering, it was good when we had Petrotrin. But ever since they cease operations there are not much spaces available for those who want to pursue in that direction. Electrical Engineering and Mechanical Engineering, both, have way more job openings available for them meaning that getting said job would be less competitive.

You're confusing chemical engineering with petrochemical engineering. Two entirely different fields.
And why would you think that I listed those two specific qualifications, with staying in T&T in mind? Remember I mentioned R&D? How much R&D do we do here that has a significant and meaningful global impact? Outside Angostura bitters, not much if any.

This is a tiny little 3rd world greenfig republic of an island . To excel in those fields, a person must leave this place.
Understand Jared, some careers are not suited to our environment, and are actually geared towards developing the individual to do great things, even to the point that their achievements may be a source of good for humanity at large.
How would you feel to know that a trini found a cure for all forms of cancer and made it openly available to the world? Or developed a cheap, strong, eco-friendly material that can be used for building homes?

Look at the possibility of a bigger picture son. Wider scope, longer term

The_Honourable
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby The_Honourable » February 20th, 2023, 11:56 pm

Jared Mohammed wrote:
alfa wrote:

If you get your Master degree within that field you can practice to be a clinical Psychologist and potentially open your own business.

Sounds good but there are pitfalls.

You can open a psychology business but it must be part of your purpose and you must have to find a niche. A Master's alone would not cut it after a while as psychology is one of those fields that involves continuous training either online or travelling overseas. Those involve costs but the fees here are low so it takes long to recoup and you don't want to price yourself out of the market, and worse, you have no name in the industry. Psychology is not like most doctor's office where you have a high turnover of clients especially if the doctor has a name in the medical field.

Does Trinidad need Psychologists? Yes
Is there a demand for it in Trinidad? No
Is there a demand for it in other countries? Yes - Canada, US, Denmark & Australia comes to mind.
Do Trinis respect psychology? For the most part, No. It is still considered a taboo for someone to seek a psychologist.

Before you state what you "think" would be a great degree, ask yourself first if there is a demand for it.

ruffneck_12
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: Would You Rather Hustle Or Education?

Postby ruffneck_12 » February 22nd, 2023, 8:55 am

Hosslin is always the better bet once you find your target market and have things in a gear. Also once you have a demand for the service.

Unless it's washing windshield by stoplights. That's like selling ice to an eskimo.

Your car has windshield wipers as a standard feature :lol:

Even the most base model AD wagon has it,
Even 120Y's still have it.
EVEN CADILLACs IN THE 1930's HAD IT.

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”