TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

Would You Rather Hustle Or Education?

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Redress10
12 pounds of Boost

Re: would you rather hustle or get an education?

Postby Redress10 » March 15th, 2018, 8:17 pm

Alluh really sure Desi and Zr are not the same people taking us all for a ride?

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » March 15th, 2018, 8:19 pm

Redress10 wrote:Alluh really sure Desi and Zr are not the same people taking us all for a ride?

Ha hell no, I unemployed by choice

urbandilema
I LUV THIS PLACE

Re: would you rather hustle or education?

Postby urbandilema » March 16th, 2018, 12:03 am

nervewrecker wrote:X2 on people who appear to be living big while they scrunting.
Dont talk about those who have priorities mixed up. Seeing cars with new plates parked by breaking down house
So true...one of the neighbours by me is the same new series cerato and working wasa and home cud use some work..

urbandilema
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby urbandilema » March 16th, 2018, 12:07 am

Just my 2cents hustle and educate your self...trades work pay off it makes u both self sufficient and make u capable in the job market..I always wanted to learn electrical so I did a few short courses and thought me a thing or two..main advice don't fraid to try rather than to ever sit wishing and wondering what if i did

desifemlove
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby desifemlove » March 17th, 2018, 7:46 am

to answer the OP, both are needed.

my own story is that i got into education late (about 21) for various reasons. but i built myself up, and got a wuk in a foreign educational institute where I helped design HR policies. i did that for several years, started some businesses, and did pretty well. now, my work has been pretty well-received by clients, academics, etc. alike.

i used to get into fights with people in school, and now i look back and see what they all did in linkedin, and i surpassed them. i feel proud at that. I'm on my way now to doing post-grad courses, and my aim by this year is to open a digital sports agency, and to earn $200,000 p.a. other than that, i have a flat, car, and regular foreign travel all in the offing.

some will say i toting, well no, since they all post the same thing...... but then there's no accounting for friends/liming buddies. or some guy who says is mentally stunted since i talk about big wuk a lot, but then practically every interaction wit he from the off has been negative lol. mr. maj. tom is some big doctor but then don't get basic social norms.

rspann
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rspann » March 17th, 2018, 8:01 am

Desi ,you hoping to make $200000 pa ,I thought you already making $40000 per month? You know that's $480000 pa ,right ? You know you making more now ,right?
All that money you making ,and no car and still renting? Wow ,you really special, in the true sense of the word.

desifemlove wrote:to answer the OP, both are needed.

my own story is that i got into education late (about 21) for various reasons. but i built myself up, and got a wuk in a foreign educational institute where I helped design HR policies. i did that for several years, started some businesses, and did pretty well. now, my work has been pretty well-received by clients, academics, etc. alike.

i used to get into fights with people in school, and now i look back and see what they all did in linkedin, and i surpassed them. i feel proud at that. I'm on my way now to doing post-grad courses, and my aim by this year is to open a digital sports agency, and to earn $200,000 p.a. other than that, i have a flat, car, and regular foreign travel all in the offing.

some will say i toting, well no, since they all post the same thing...... but then there's no accounting for friends/liming buddies. or some guy who says is mentally stunted since i talk about big wuk a lot, but then practically every interaction wit he from the off has been negative lol. mr. maj. tom is some big doctor but then don't get basic social norms.

Zetski
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby Zetski » March 17th, 2018, 6:59 pm

Arthur Lok Jack is uwi yuh know... Desi does talk bout how uwi is chit but says Arthur Lok Jack is how a business school should be... lol.. wasteman yes..

They actually have great entrepreneurship seminars and talkshows.. I went to a few and the food there wasn't bad either.. pretty good actually.

Ted_v2
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Ted_v2 » March 18th, 2018, 12:08 am

Well lemme shoot my 2c.
Im a automotive technician, certified from Alberta canada

I did my cxc, grabbed up 8 subjects.
Did auto-electrical 17, did auto-mechanics 19 and Currently doing a CNG course 21.

Got my first job out of school doing suspension and alignments, made some good money. Made over 1k working 6 days a week, at the age of 17 this was impressive. Saved 24k from this job quick bc i was trying to get some cash to go to school . Decided to further my education.

My experience was like this. as a technician you dont need to be properly educated but i decided i wanted to be.
My education got me into the door for the interview and my experience got me the job.
If i had more experience i prob would have got a bit more $$ per HR to start with at my current job.

and always have something working on the side, I do sidework on the weekends and make some decent money which often goes into buying more tools. I prob have about 10k upwards in stuff

desifemlove
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby desifemlove » March 18th, 2018, 7:53 am

nervewrecker wrote:You want good advice, hustle and educate yourself both at once. It pays off

police don't have much degrees, ent?

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » March 18th, 2018, 8:43 am

desifemlove wrote:
nervewrecker wrote:You want good advice, hustle and educate yourself both at once. It pays off

police don't have much degrees, ent?

I know one with a masters.

Not all police have 3 cxc.

These days work hard to get, people taking what they get and not fussing. Once one can put bread on the table.

R3TROB3N
Ricer

Making Different Income Streams In T&T (Business,Hustling,Careers,ETC)

Postby R3TROB3N » April 9th, 2018, 12:30 pm

Just reading some posts from the forums so I say lemme run with something. So to start the discussion is it still valid for young people to do a degree in Trinidad And Tobago(or anyone in general) or they should try other avenues such as, starting a business, doing a trade, forex, hustling, farming, online businesses, Tutoring/Mentoring, Crypto ETC.

Do share your feedback and opinions as I want this to be a FULLY FEATURED THREAD for anyone whom want to know what are their possible LEGAL options in life, regards to staying afloat and thriving in life in our small Banana Republic that is Trinidad And Tobago.

To start it off I believe for people who very knowledgeable in a skill, offering a online training course (SkillShare/Linda) or even mentoring is a valid option to bring in extra revenue.

V2NR 3.0
punchin NOS

Postby V2NR 3.0 » April 11th, 2018, 9:10 am

Ironically, this is a question that always amazes me. I personally know quite a few undercover millionaires who never finished secondary school but have more money and assets than those with MBA's behind their names. Earlier this week I was at the Caroni cremation site and started talking with the lady that sells snow cones. She sells a snow-cone for $8 TTD and sells 100 minimum per day x 5. Sometimes I wonder why the hell did I go to school yes.

GameOver
3NE 2NR for life

would you rather hustle or get an education?

Postby GameOver » April 11th, 2018, 9:56 am

V2NR 3.0 wrote:Ironically, this is a question that always amazes me. I personally know quite a few undercover millionaires who never finished secondary school but have more money and assets than those with MBA's behind their names. Earlier this week I was at the Caroni cremation site and started talking with the lady that sells snow cones. She sells a snow-cone for $8 TTD and sells 100 minimum per day x 5. Sometimes I wonder why the hell did I go to school yes.

Yes, sounds good but the simple math is misleading. Cost of raw materials, operating costs and the time/labor cost must also be factored in to determine the profit margin. I am not knowledgeable of the snow cone industry but if one may cost about $3.25 to produce then the net income is less than $10,000 monthly. Not very attractive after all.
This may be immediately recognized by an educated individual where as a non person may calculate in hindsight.
My point is education has the potential to improve both perception and decision making and create better businesses. Some people may have better instincts than others but education definitely gives an advantage.

streetbeastINC.
punchin NOS

Postby streetbeastINC. » April 14th, 2018, 12:28 pm

I should have followed my junior sec dream of being a hustler......

SuperiorMan
punchin NOS

Postby SuperiorMan » May 10th, 2021, 4:05 pm

This is a very good thread. Thanks Tuners for this thread.

SuperiorMan
punchin NOS

Postby SuperiorMan » May 10th, 2021, 4:18 pm

Anybody went to Univ away? How that worked out?

Redress10
12 pounds of Boost

Postby Redress10 » May 10th, 2021, 5:17 pm

Did A's and degrees abroad.

In short. The education is better and the lifestyle is bettee but I can only speak from a european experience though.

SuperiorMan
punchin NOS

Postby SuperiorMan » May 10th, 2021, 5:42 pm

Redress10 wrote:Did A's and degrees abroad.

In short. The education is better and the lifestyle is bettee but I can only speak from a european experience though.

Hello Redress10,

Thank you for your response. What did you study? Was it easier to get a better paying job here than your UWI colleagues?

Redress10
12 pounds of Boost

Postby Redress10 » May 10th, 2021, 5:52 pm

SuperiorMan wrote:
Redress10 wrote:Did A's and degrees abroad.

Hello Redress10,

Thank you for your response. What did you study? Was it easier to get a better paying job here than your UWI colleagues?

I don't have "UWI colleagues". Remember I left TT at 16 and I only came here around age 10 due to family migrating etc. So I didn't really keep in contact with people I met during my teenage years.

I lived and work both abroad and here. Trinidad is more about who you know and who knows you rather than your qualifications. Abroad is more about your university ranking/degree ranking. I have friends who graduated from Oxford etc and they are now working at a FAANG.

In short, if you plan on staying in TT your entire life then your best bet is UWI. If you ever plan on migrating then you should get a foreign degree. The UWI degree may hamper your employment prospects overseas simply because it just isn't easily recognisable so you may have to supplement it via a masters etc from the country you will be working in.

widdyphuck
18 pounds of Boost

Postby widdyphuck » May 10th, 2021, 5:57 pm

I personally know some uneducated millionaires who living way better than educated graduates.
Education is just another product to be consumed. No guarantee of success.

FrankChag
Riding on 16's

Postby FrankChag » May 10th, 2021, 6:36 pm

This is essentially the rich-dad poor-dad thesis,,, and its a false equivalence logical fallacy (ie, comparing apples to oranges).

However, if you're ultimately talking about long-term wealth, you can get rich or remain poor either way.
Your best bet is to hedge and try both.
Otherwise, if you can only do one, always place your bet on educating yourself (even if its later in life), because your chances of getting a high-paying job is much lower without an education and/or training.

Hustling should never be an end-goal. As with the old saying, "How can you possibly compare someone who knows (has knowledge), with someone who doesn't?"

Also, what is sometimes left out of the equation is the intrinsic benefits of having an education (the sweetness of knowledge), which you'll never enjoy if you're... uneducated.

death365
Riding on 18's

Postby death365 » May 10th, 2021, 6:55 pm

As stated b4 education has the longer term effects for growth and improvement

De Dragon
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby De Dragon » May 10th, 2021, 6:57 pm

Only dummies glamorize hustling as an exclusive way of securing your future, because for every uneducated hustler who makes it, thousands more are ground up in the mill and spat out with no education, no skill and no prospects

ProtonPowder
Riding on 18's

Postby ProtonPowder » May 10th, 2021, 8:01 pm

It is a big survivorship bias.

On the note of rich dad, poor dad as someone drew reference to earlier, I have never read a book that instills as much of a superiority complex to the government and regular working class folks as that one.

https://www.businessinsider.com/persona ... cy-2012-10

Turns out the author filed for bankruptcy because he tried too much smartmanism and it caught up to him. Be very careful who you take your advice from.

alfa
Shifting into 6th

Postby alfa » May 10th, 2021, 8:19 pm

Even with an education you still have to hustle. A lil contract here an ojt there, working on short term projects etc. I was recently telling some graduate trainees by us that the only safe jobs in this country seems to be teaching and national security and it's derrivitives

eliteauto
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby eliteauto » May 10th, 2021, 8:21 pm

ProtonPowder wrote:It is a big survivorship bias.

On the note of rich dad, poor dad as someone drew reference to earlier, I have never read a book that instills as much of a superiority complex to the government and regular working class folks as that one.

Turns out the author filed for bankruptcy because he tried too much smartmanism and it caught up to him. Be very careful who you take your advice from.

Couldn't agree more, btw did you read the article or just the headline?

ProtonPowder
Riding on 18's

Postby ProtonPowder » May 10th, 2021, 8:32 pm

eliteauto wrote:
ProtonPowder wrote:It is a big survivorship bias.

Couldn't agree more, btw did you read the article or just the headline?

I did, and only realised that I misstated the event after. Point still stands about the unethical behaviour though.

Redress10
12 pounds of Boost

Postby Redress10 » May 10th, 2021, 8:59 pm

alfa wrote:Even with an education you still have to hustle. A lil contract here an ojt there, working on short term projects etc. I was recently telling some graduate trainees by us that the only safe jobs in this country seems to be teaching and national security and it's derrivitives

Sad reality. Reality is job creation has never been a focus of any administration of this country and people have been forced to fend for themselves.

They essentially used GATE just to keep thousands out of the job market because there was no place for them. By the end of the second year of my uni study I already had a job offer. Not sure if that is done in TT though.

widdyphuck
18 pounds of Boost

Postby widdyphuck » May 10th, 2021, 9:02 pm

If you are going into your own business, what formal education do you need?
Business Management?
Knowledge of Accounting?
I ask this for all the Science minded graduates who never did any business subjects or courses in there life.
Operating a business successfully may be hard for them.

Redress10
12 pounds of Boost

Postby Redress10 » May 10th, 2021, 9:10 pm

wtf wrote:If you are going into your own business, what formal education do you need?
Business Management?
Knowledge of Accounting?
I ask this for all the Science minded graduates who never did any business subjects or courses in there life.
Operating a business successfully may be hard for them.

Business administration is a good place to start. That's why MBA's first started. To give science persons etc a crash courses in management/business.

I would say accounts to understand profit and loss statement and balance sheet. Most people who have business degrees would have been studying business for 7-8 plus years if you counting from O'levels. So a person who studied economics, business and accounting would have a fuller picture of how to run business effeciently.

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”