TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

Would You Rather Hustle Or Education?

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

SuperiorMan
punchin NOS

Re: would you rather hustle or get an education?

Postby SuperiorMan » May 11th, 2021, 3:17 pm

ProtonPowder wrote:Just like trinidad then, but in the states is more about what university you went to for that degree than your grades.

And even there, there are people with stem degrees that cant find work. But then its about the unpaid internships you had to fight for. Just keep moving those goalposts.

I up until recently had a fella working on my team. Just about my age. Fella would spout all the points yall making here and look like he always reading the next big self help book. I never tell him anything. If he want to read at his desk I wont stop him. He always used to come late, want to leave early and take long lunches. The quality of his work was steadily slipping, all because he want to ignore his well paying 8-4 day job, so he could resell watches he buy on Amazon.

Spend 5000, gross 2000 and call yourself an entrepreneur. Its the trinidadian way.

ProtonPowder,

Are you educated?

ProtonPowder
Shifting into 6th

Postby ProtonPowder » May 11th, 2021, 3:21 pm

Yes, what a stupid question.

SuperiorMan
punchin NOS

Postby SuperiorMan » May 11th, 2021, 3:25 pm

ProtonPowder wrote:Yes, what a stupid question.

Tuner Friend,

Sorry for any offense. Just making sure. It doesn't really sound so but thank you for the effort in giving advice.

Where were you educated if you don't mind

ProtonPowder
Shifting into 6th

Postby ProtonPowder » May 11th, 2021, 3:26 pm

SuperiorMan wrote:

Tuner Friend,

Sorry for any offense. Just making sure. It doesn't really sound so but thank you for the effort in giving advice.

The old farts here are giving exhausted advice. People are not accustomed to the views of a younger person here.

And also since you edited your post afterward, I did my BSc in Mona and currently doing a distance MSc from the UK as well as a couple UWI short courses.

Keep assuming.
Last edited by ProtonPowder on May 11th, 2021, 3:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

SuperiorMan
punchin NOS

Postby SuperiorMan » May 11th, 2021, 3:27 pm

ProtonPowder wrote:
SuperiorMan wrote:

Tuner Friend,

The old farts here are giving exhausted advice. People are not accustomed to the views of a younger person here.

Appreciate it....will take this all in consideration.

widdyphuck
18 pounds of Boost

Postby widdyphuck » May 11th, 2021, 3:39 pm

ProtonPowder wrote:
SuperiorMan wrote:

Tuner Friend,

And also since you edited your post afterward, I did my BSc in Mona and currently doing a distance MSc from the UK as well as a couple UWI short courses.

Keep assuming.
What BSc you did in Mona?
What MSC are you studying?
What short courses did you do?

ProtonPowder
Shifting into 6th

Postby ProtonPowder » May 11th, 2021, 3:45 pm

wtf wrote:
ProtonPowder wrote:
SuperiorMan wrote:

Tuner Friend,

Keep assuming.

Geology, Real Estate, Supervisory Management 1+2

widdyphuck
18 pounds of Boost

Postby widdyphuck » May 11th, 2021, 3:55 pm

ProtonPowder wrote:
wtf wrote:
ProtonPowder wrote:
SuperiorMan wrote:

Tuner Friend,

Keep assuming.

Cool.How is the supervisory management?
Was thinking about doing it with UTT.

ProtonPowder
Shifting into 6th

Postby ProtonPowder » May 11th, 2021, 3:59 pm

wtf wrote:
ProtonPowder wrote:
wtf wrote:
ProtonPowder wrote:
SuperiorMan wrote:

Tuner Friend,

Keep assuming.

Cool.How is the supervisory management?
Was thinking about doing it with UTT.

On a serious note, refer to a few posts back where i talk about textbook knowledge. It is very watered down. Not to say I didnt learn anything, because I learned a lot. I already lead a team at work so I wanted to make sure I wasnt missing anything in my approach. It is a lot of folks who never led anything coming with their lofty nonsense about leadership.

It you want the certificate to put on your resume, go for it.

matr1x
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby matr1x » May 11th, 2021, 5:55 pm

Most hustlers are annoying AF.

Ni, I don't want to buy the crap you selling

matr1x
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby matr1x » May 11th, 2021, 5:56 pm

And no I won't pass on the info to my friends.

Hustler: 21st century piper

ProtonPowder
Shifting into 6th

Postby ProtonPowder » May 11th, 2021, 5:59 pm

There is a reason that Kiss called the roadside bread vendors "young entrepreneurs"

It is a good buzzphrase to rope in the young and gullible, just like romanticizing the idea of forgoing an education to hustle.

VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby VexXx Dogg » May 11th, 2021, 6:08 pm

Dunno if I'm reading the trends right, but it appears as though we are swinging back to the 80s/90's with education and skills development.
Reduction in ed subsidies mean that it will be costly to pursue higher education, and it will be almost elitist. Skills development programmes should rise to fill the gap, and we can expect a generation of proper artisans, tradesmen and craftsmen. The high quality of venezuelan labour competition can influence this as well.

UWI's open campus is already targeting a slew of skills development programmes backed with expertise in remote delivery.

Not sure if MIC, NESC and the like can adapt the programmes that they have into an online or blended format.

COVID is here to stay for a while again, and the new normal for teaching is remote delivery - whether we choose to accept it or not.

sam1978
Riding on 16's

Postby sam1978 » May 11th, 2021, 6:16 pm

I’m not sure what is considered as hustle . I’ve seen people mention welders , doubles. All these are not professions? Hustle should be someone without a job who does different things to survive? I’m just trying to understand what is hustling. As for education, wouldn’t the average educated person be just educated in their field alone? All my education and I see people who never went to school better off than me , by far.

Redress10
12 pounds of Boost

Postby Redress10 » May 11th, 2021, 6:38 pm

This country suppose to have two leaders, one for the indos and one for the afros seeing that these are the two major race groups in the country. These two leaders should have been able to meet and develop consensus in how the country is suppose to run, govern and develop. All of this should have been considered post independence. Instead we got imitation english laws and traditions from our leaders.

Post colonialism both India and African countries reverted back to their traditions and governed accordingly. We adopted the british ways which we didn't fully understand and wonder why all of our institutions are in a mess now.
How can you understand a system if you didn't build it?

Numb3r4
Shifting into 6th

Postby Numb3r4 » May 11th, 2021, 7:48 pm

How can you be a part of a system that didn't want you to be a part of it?

Why is it that every one of these discussions starts to sound like a Naipaul plot?

widdyphuck
18 pounds of Boost

Postby widdyphuck » May 11th, 2021, 8:19 pm

Know a man who is a certified welder but selling watermelon for a living because it makes him more money. Man have house and thing...

Numb3r4
Shifting into 6th

Postby Numb3r4 » May 11th, 2021, 8:20 pm

sam1978 wrote:I’m not sure what is considered as hustle . I’ve seen people mention welders , doubles. All these are not professions? Hustle should be someone without a job who does different things to survive? I’m just trying to understand what is hustling. As for education, wouldn’t the average educated person be just educated in their field alone? All my education and I see people who never went to school better off than me , by far.

With regards to welders this is a good profession however it isn't what it seems.
First you will have to spend some time as a working class welder within a company or with a contractor and then go of on your own. If not you can try for an oil and gas job and then start your welding business on the side.

In the case that I know said young man worked for a lot of places private companies that did fabrication and then landed a job as a welder on an offshore platform, where he is still there today after some 2-3years.

Initially this was his sole focus, now he has since taken to doing private jobs on his off time. So he has a typical offshore work cycle, 2 weeks on and 2 off. In the 2 off he takes small jobs that an be completed in such time. He works from home and is in the process of putting together his shop.

It is no bed of roses though, with material prices constantly going up one of the hardest parts of the job is telling potential customers the job price. This can make you lose a job no fault of you own.

In general skills and trades are good when the economy is good, when the economy goes south everything goes south, not just the academic fields.

With electrical those jobs are more expensive overall and the guys doing that are doing that full time and often have a crew of 2-3 guys who they are training. Even the one man operations do a brisk trade a big thing is them buying materials in bulk and then charging customers their own profit on it that is still cheaper than a supplies store. However I also now of some who can be electricians but didn't go the route of being self-employed but went to work in industry and continue to work there.

With mechanics the same applies many were or began in another shop and eventually branched out to do their own thing. The key thing with the trades is that 2-5 year period after training where the guys get the hands on experience. Many young guys may find that hard to come by with the economy and such, as businesses not taking on anyone new.

There is no magic bullet and don't succumb to the grass being greener syndrome.

In the states remember the current skill shortage they are having might be due to the housing boom they are seeing and the fact that infrastructure here needs fixing, but what happens when the bubble bursts and the infrastructure is fixed.

If you want a bullet proof profession consider nursing and elder care, starting salary can be as high as $22.00/hr. working 3 nights a week.

On the other hand I know of many young guys who fresh out of UWI got jobs with multi-national oil and gas firms and still employed some have gone on to be based in the US full time with only a degree/BSc. from UWI go figure.

Some others however went to work for Petrotrin and are now unemployed, and I remember when folks used to tell young guys don't go to the multi-nationals as "dem doh give permanent" how the tables have turned.

Maybe that's the real lesson here.

Success is a matter of perspective and adapting to changing times.

MaxPower
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby MaxPower » May 11th, 2021, 8:23 pm

matr1x wrote:Most hustlers are annoying AF.

Ni, I don't want to buy the crap you selling

X2

ProtonPowder
Shifting into 6th

Postby ProtonPowder » May 11th, 2021, 9:25 pm

Numb3r4 wrote:How can you be a part of a system that didn't want you to be a part of it?

Why is it that every one of these discussions starts to sound like a Naipaul plot?

Because Naipaul was right, how have we proven him wrong?

VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby VexXx Dogg » May 11th, 2021, 10:11 pm

Somehow I think we're all defining hustle differently.

I'm blending it with entrepreneurship and leveraging your skillset and mindset to make an income.

ProtonPowder
Shifting into 6th

Postby ProtonPowder » May 11th, 2021, 11:04 pm

You are correct, some are referring to hustling as earning an income by doing odd jobs and whatever else to make ends meet, while others are referring to owning a legitimate trade or business as hustling.

Owning and operating a legitimate business, especially when there is a central physical location, set business schedules and practices is not a hustle. Maybe it used to be a hustle, but at a certain point it ceases to be.

FrankChag
Riding on 16's

Postby FrankChag » May 12th, 2021, 12:01 am

A parlour is a hustle.
Selling nuts at the stop light is a hustle.
Maxi tout is a hustle.

Owning/operating a proper competitive business is not a hustle.
Esp if you have salaries to pay at the end of the week/month.

For those ppl, this is their job.
If your business is your hustle, then you not serious.

Chimera
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Chimera » May 12th, 2021, 11:32 am

a parlour isnt a hustle though

that income is steady and more than alot of basic professionals

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby timelapse » May 12th, 2021, 11:38 am

At the end of the day, your job/hustle is for one primary purpose, earning money.All this millennial hippie dippie talk about following your passion etc is for rich entitled kids like kim k and her acolytes. Unless your parents could afford to mind you, I'd go with whichever can keep food on your table and can pay your bills, as long as it is an honest living. You cant judge others by your own standards, there are many paths to life, whichever works for you.
My dad never made it past standard one.He makes way more money than most university graduates I know.He just stuck to his trade and self improved.
Could I follow his path? Probably not.

FrankChag
Riding on 16's

Postby FrankChag » May 12th, 2021, 11:52 am

I hoping ;)
We'll see.

Phone Surgeon wrote:a parlour isnt a hustle though

that income is steady and more than alot of basic professionals

ScHoolboySoloQ
Trinituner Peong

Postby ScHoolboySoloQ » May 12th, 2021, 12:41 pm

To do a hustle you need to have a certain mindset. Many who have tertiary education wouldn't dare try a hustle because there's a stigma that only uneducated people hustle.

You need to have some kind of education to make your hustle more efficient and improve it. If you lack education your hustle will not grow.

Doing both is beneficial to your self development.

widdyphuck
18 pounds of Boost

Postby widdyphuck » May 12th, 2021, 12:49 pm

ScHoolboySoloQ wrote:To do a hustle you need to have a certain mindset. Many who have tertiary education wouldn't dare try a hustle because there's a stigma that only uneducated people hustle.

You need to have some kind of education to make your hustle more efficient and improve it. If you lack education your hustle will not grow.

What is this certain type of education you speak of?

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » May 12th, 2021, 12:55 pm

Every Trini woman is a hustler. Pumpum for goods and ring

ScHoolboySoloQ
Trinituner Peong

Postby ScHoolboySoloQ » May 12th, 2021, 2:05 pm

wtf wrote:
ScHoolboySoloQ wrote:To do a hustle you need to have a certain mindset. Many who have tertiary education wouldn't dare try a hustle because there's a stigma that only uneducated people hustle.

What is this certain type of education you speak of?

Good understanding of the fundamentals of Math, Sciences, Business, Accounting, Project development, Critical thinking and so on. Don't need to have certificates to learn this things, just a willingness to learn.

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”