Forums

Is Russia a Superpower?

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Redress10
12 pounds of Boost

Is Russia a Superpower?

Postby Redress10 » March 10th, 2018, 12:02 am

I don't know if you all have been following the recent events in the United Kingdom with the poisoning of the former Russian agent by the nerve agent.

That got me thinking....Is Russia a superpower?

I think at this point China would easily wipe them in a war. In a scenario where no nukes are used of course. I honestly can't see them convincingly bettering the likes of the UK, France, Germany, Spain or Italy....Separately or combined as the EU etc.

I grew up thinking that Russia was the number 2 to USA's number 1 but surely that has changed by now. What do you all think?

The_Honourable
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: Is Russia a Superpower?

Postby The_Honourable » March 10th, 2018, 2:01 am

It's according to what a person think a superpower is.

Military? They upgraded a lot but still on the defensive for the most part as NATO on their doorstep. Nuclear weapons are their insurance.

Economic? Nobody cares. If the US and Chinese market suffers, we all feel it. Russia still trying to undermine the world reserve status of the US dollar and need to diversify their economy. If they have increasing trade successes, their increasing presence in the markets will eventually be felt. Check out BRICS.

Geopolitical? Mostly regional as they are capable of promoting and obstructing trade with Asian, Arabic, African and European countries directly in terms of location or indirectly by having influence in some former russian countries that are located in areas that can affect trade.

Human Capital? Improved a lot in recent years but still have a lot to do. Workforce is highly educated but there is a lack of jobs and personal development. Entrepreneurship is a hit and miss surrounded with uncertainty.

Russia recovered a lot since the Sovient Union fell but they are not a superpower yet. They have enough power to cause disturbances especially in the East. I believe we only take them seriously as they hold nuclear weapons and know how to conduct espionage in other countries.

Redress10
12 pounds of Boost

Postby Redress10 » March 10th, 2018, 2:14 am

The_Honourable wrote:It's according to what a person think a superpower is.

Military? They upgraded a lot but still on the defensive for the most part as NATO on their doorstep. Nuclear weapons are their insurance.

Economic? Nobody cares. If the US and Chinese market suffers, we all feel it. Russia still trying to undermine the world reserve status of the US dollar and need to diversify their economy. If they have increasing trade successes, their increasing presence in the markets will eventually be felt. Check out BRICS.

Geopolitical? Mostly regional as they are capable of promoting and obstructing trade with Asian, Arabic, African and European countries directly in terms of location or indirectly by having influence in some former russian countries that are located in areas that can affect trade.

Human Capital? Improved a lot in recent years but still have a lot to do. Workforce is highly educated but there is a lack of jobs and personal development. Entrepreneurship is a hit and miss surrounded with uncertainty.

Russia recovered a lot since the Sovient Union fell but they are not a superpower yet. They have enough power to cause disturbances especially in the East. I believe we only take them seriously as they hold nuclear weapons and know how to conduct espionage in other countries.

I think you summed up everything perfectly...Without the nukes, no one would even look at them twice.

Their citizens hate and distrust their leadership. There is rampant corruption and poverty etc. They don't even seem to have a geopolitical presence. Apart from their ruthlessness in conducting espionage(which shows a high level of unsophistication most times) they don't have a defining factor. I believe that in a war, their troops would become quickly disillusioned and demoralised.

They do have alot of oil and gas but oil prices remain low. Their wealthiest citizens all leave Russia and go to the UK etc to live causing massive capital flight. I just don't get the hype. China on the other hand is EVERYWHERE. Most people see Russians as uneducated thugs and criminals.

Remove nukes from the table and who are they?
Last edited by Redress10 on March 10th, 2018, 2:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Redman
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Redman » March 10th, 2018, 2:16 am

Yes, A superpower......not THE superpower

EFFECTIC DESIGNS
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby EFFECTIC DESIGNS » March 10th, 2018, 2:20 pm

The US is the world's only remaining super power.

Russia WAS the biggest super power during the cold war. However things like corruption destroyed them aswell as not thinking ahead, a lot of brain drain and Russian oligarchs. Even to this day there is lots of corruption in Russia

It wasn't until Putin was made President that he actually started taking on the Mafia strong and started fixing the Russian economy. Before Putin it was a free for all, no consequences for corruption etc and people tried to steal and abuse as much as they could when the soviet union fell. Putin came along and fixed much of this, one of the ways he did it was becoming the biggest Mafia man in Russia.

Still Russia is a far cry from American democracy but Putin has long turned his back on communism as far back as the 90's
In stark contrast majority of the American liberal left wing today worship and suck the communist d!ck

shogun
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby shogun » March 10th, 2018, 7:08 pm

No, they're no longer a "superpower."

EFFECTIC DESIGNS wrote:It wasn't until Putin was made President that he actually started taking on the Mafia strong and started fixing the Russian economy. Before Putin it was a free for all, no consequences for corruption etc and people tried to steal and abuse as much as they could when the soviet union fell. Putin came along and fixed much of this, one of the ways he did it was becoming the biggest Mafia man in Russia.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

So he "stopped/fixed" corruption by becoming more corrupt? What dimension you livin in hoss?

Millions of Russians live in poverty while Putin has amassed enormous wealth by creating a kleptocracy for his oligarch friends associates and family, while stifling democracy in ANY form by jailing, intimidating and outright murdering anyone that challenges his hold on power. He's nothing more than a common thug holding the reigns.

VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby VexXx Dogg » March 10th, 2018, 7:53 pm

Lemme paint it like a car analogy.

You go to a car show. Tons of new evos, subarus, a couple exotics around. Ferraris, Lambos, a Bentley, even a Bugatti to the front.

In one dark corner, under a dimly let tent, you see a rusted down cressida sitting low with a fat bottom. Looks like it was fighting gravity and lost. You go for a closer look and see telltale 15x10 Weld racing wheels on some sticky slicks.
Other than that it looks normal.
pop the hood you see a gleaming, proper built brand new 1GZ with a pair of turbos larger than a bull's head, with top to bottom Top Secret regalia, handbuilt by Nagata himself. It fires up with barely a tumble, the steady burble of the thousands of miniature explosions exiting 6 inch side exit pipes. You feel the hairs on the back of your neck raise when a nondescript man, in nondescript clothes gently prods the accelerator pedal, much like a mother scolding a defiant infant, and the resultant fighter-jet whine starts building slowly.

Russia is that cressida.
Don't underestimate it.

teems1
punchin NOS

Postby teems1 » March 10th, 2018, 8:01 pm

Regional super power, not global like the US or China to an extent.

Be that as it may, you can never take your eyes off the Russians. They always have world domination on their mind, like Brain in Pinky and the Brain.

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » March 10th, 2018, 8:11 pm

Redman wrote:Yes, A superpower......not THE superpower

^^ for the reasons honorable detailed. in its time, the USSR was, but russia isnt nearly as capable.

VII
punchin NOS

Postby VII » March 10th, 2018, 10:12 pm

Redress10 wrote:I don't know if you all have been following the recent events in the United Kingdom with the poisoning of the former Russian agent by the nerve agent.

I think at this point China would easily wipe them in a war. In a scenario where no nukes are used of course. I honestly can't see them convincingly bettering the likes of the UK, France, Germany, Spain or Italy....Separately or combined as the EU etc.

I grew up thinking that Russia was the number 2 to USA's number 1 but surely that has changed by now. What do you all think?

If you know your history you would know Russia cannot be invaded,millions of enemy soldiers are buried in Russia,better than China at the time tried. Have you seen how crazy Russians are,now imagine all that energy combined in a patriotic effort. Invading Russia is a logistical nightmare.

teems1
punchin NOS

Postby teems1 » March 11th, 2018, 2:31 am

VII wrote:
Redress10 wrote:I don't know if you all have been following the recent events in the United Kingdom with the poisoning of the former Russian agent by the nerve agent.

If you know your history you would know Russia cannot be invaded,millions of enemy soldiers are buried in Russia,better than China at the time tried. Have you seen how crazy Russians are,now imagine all that energy combined in a patriotic effort. Invading Russia is a logistical nightmare.
That was back in the days. Napoleon and Hitler both knew that you can't invade Russia in the winter yet circumstances ended up with them doing it anyway and losing their armies.

This new age of warfare involves drones and precision strikes. A railgun from a battleship miles offshore could literally rain down fury from the sky.

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » March 11th, 2018, 3:45 am

^^this
With enough resources, no country is safe against present tech.
Fly by wire, now it's war by wire.
But the easier thing is it destabilize a country's government and economy and fund the rebel forces to make the place a mess

Eagle View Enterprises
Street 2NR

Postby Eagle View Enterprises » March 11th, 2018, 11:36 am

The Russian Federation supplies a significant volume of fossil fuels and is the largest exporter of oil and natural gas to the European Union. In 2007, the European Union imported from Russia 185 million tonnes of crude oil, which accounted for 32.6% of total oil import, and 100.7 million tonnes of oil equivalent of natural gas, which accounted 38.7% of total gas import.

Individuals like here might underestimate Russia. But the US, NATO, EU, etc know that the Russian Bear is forminable.

Redman
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Redman » March 11th, 2018, 11:48 am

I'm wondering whether the term super power is still relevant.

If hackers can undermine power grids,currency and elections....then what's the definition of super power?

If I'm able to black out the eastern seaboard every 3 months without getting caught....then the US is in the sheeit.

Or mess with oil deliveries....Or get Hilary elected...We all dead...

What defines the bar here ?

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 88sins » March 11th, 2018, 1:02 pm

EFFECTIC DESIGNS wrote:The US is the world's only remaining super power.

don't buy into donald dump's illusion.

Gladiator
punchin NOS

Postby Gladiator » March 11th, 2018, 1:12 pm

Redress10
12 pounds of Boost

Postby Redress10 » March 11th, 2018, 1:38 pm

Redman wrote:I'm wondering whether the term super power is still relevant.

If hackers can undermine power grids,currency and elections....then what's the definition of super power?

If I'm able to black out the eastern seaboard every 3 months without getting caught....then the US is in the sheeit.

Or mess with oil deliveries....Or get Hilary elected...We all dead...

What defines the bar here ?

All major countries could do what you claim. I fail to see your point here. Russia without nukes is a non entity? What do they develop? Saudi Arabia, Iran, Venezuela etc also have huge oil reserves. THAT alone can't define their relevance. China has more global footprint than Russia.

Redress10
12 pounds of Boost

Postby Redress10 » March 11th, 2018, 1:41 pm

88sins wrote:
EFFECTIC DESIGNS wrote:The US is the world's only remaining super power.

don't buy into donald dump's illusion.

No illusion here bro...Russia doesn't even have a properly functioning aircraft carrier. They also don't have the shipbuilding facilities to build any new ones. The last one was built in Ukraine.

Last edited by Redress10 on March 11th, 2018, 1:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » March 11th, 2018, 1:42 pm

^^^ You dont need an aircraft carrier when you have nukes

Redress10
12 pounds of Boost

Postby Redress10 » March 11th, 2018, 1:53 pm

Zooom, we taking nukes off the table....Even India and Pakistan has nukes and Saudi Arabia has access to Pakistan's nukes but we don't view those countries as superpowers either. India probably but definitely not Pakistan or Iran.

The average salary in Russia is $109USD per month. What superpower? That bear not waking up. It comatose. Their people and infrastructure is severely undeveloped. People literally starve to death in Russia.

http://money.cnn.com/2016/03/29/news/ec ... index.html

Redress10
12 pounds of Boost

Postby Redress10 » March 11th, 2018, 2:02 pm

VII wrote:

Why are you talking about invaded. Russia doesn't even have the naval or ground forces to propel an attack. The reason America can't be invaded is because of their navy. Their navy can intercept an incoming force. You can literally march into Russia from the West. No one cares to "invade" another country. You destabilise it then watch its citizens starve. The thing is Russia's citizens are already starving so this will just accelerate the process.

You are believing stereotyping. ALL russians are not like that. Russia isn't some hypermasculine society that they like to portray. Russia's culture is based on deception etc. It's all fake posturing, fake military maps, fake weapons. Putin "unveiled" new nuclear options recently...ALL FAKE.
http://www.businessinsider.com/russia-u ... on-2016-10

teems1
punchin NOS

Postby teems1 » March 11th, 2018, 7:25 pm

Gladiator wrote:Image
1. The Rothchild family owning the world's central bank is false. The hoax email has been going around the Internet for ages and has been debunked many times.

2. There is nothing wrong with GMO. It provides a feasable way of feeding the billions of people in the world.

3. The Russian ruble is weak and can not compete with the western currencies. The GDP per capita in Trinidad is better than Russia, and they have much worse income inequality with the ruling oligarch class.

shogun
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby shogun » March 11th, 2018, 8:14 pm

Men defending Putin yes. :lol:

zoom rader wrote:^^^ You dont need an aircraft carrier when you have nukes

LOL!

Well yes...
Last edited by shogun on March 11th, 2018, 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shogun
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby shogun » March 11th, 2018, 8:20 pm

teems1 wrote:
1. The Rothchild family owning the world's central bank is false. The hoax email has been going around the Internet for ages and has been debunked many times.

2. There is nothing wrong with GMO. It provides a feasable way of feeding the billions of people in the world.

3. The Russian ruble is weak and can not compete with the western currencies. The GDP per capita in Trinidad is better than Russia, and they have much worse income inequality with the ruling oligarch class.

Why bother?

There will always be folk who are impressed by Bad Actors on the world stage. Ride shirtless on a horse and wrestle bears, while propping yourself up with Billions of dollars of stolen wealth and consolidated power, call all media fake, manipulate talking points to strike at the heart of divisive issues and simpletons will be only too happy to bow down and praise.

teems1
punchin NOS

Postby teems1 » March 11th, 2018, 8:26 pm

shogun wrote:
teems1 wrote:

Why bother?

There will always be folk who are impressed by Bad Actors on the world stage. Ride shirtless on a horse and wrestle bears, while propping yourself up with Billions of dollars of stolen wealth and consolidated power, call all media fake, manipulate talking points to strike at the heart of divisive issues and simpletons will be only too happy to bow down and praise.
I'm not defending Putin. Just rebuking the post with the 3 points.

He is power hungry, cannot hold a fair elections, rich beyond compare by illegal means.

If you're going to criticize him, do it correctly.

shogun
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby shogun » March 11th, 2018, 8:30 pm

Wasn't referring/directed at you teems. Totally agreed with your points. That's why I asked "why bother"

I was asking why bother wasting your time?

boxy
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby boxy » March 12th, 2018, 6:20 am

men still using memes as fact based.

Eagle View Enterprises
Street 2NR

Postby Eagle View Enterprises » March 12th, 2018, 6:41 am

Dizzy28
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Dizzy28 » March 12th, 2018, 9:11 am

sMASH wrote:^^this
With enough resources, no country is safe against present tech.
Fly by wire, now it's war by wire.
But the easier thing is it destabilize a country's government and economy and fund the rebel forces to make the place a mess

Afghanistan/Taliban did pretty well against NATO/ISAF led by the most technologically advanced military ever to walk the face of the earth.

Its one thing to invade and win and another to invade and completely decimate whereby nobody wins.

Miktay
Shifting into 6th

Postby Miktay » March 12th, 2018, 9:23 am

Aircraft carriers only intended use iz to scare small countries. The Russian Empire knows how to take out a carrier. Theyve known since the cold war.

In addition iz claimed that the Russian Empire has new weapons in their arsenal.

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”