Everything Smart Homes in Trinidad & Tobago

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Pablo660
Chronic TriniTuner

Everything Smart Homes in Trinidad & Tobago

Postby Pablo660 » January 15th, 2018, 6:13 pm

I searched for the topic but haven’t found any in regards to what works here
What u guys running for those with smart devices?

I started with an Echo dot , added a WeMo switch for some Christmas lights for turning on n off via Alexa.
I just added a WiFi 3 gang switch for outdoor front lights, 2 Sensibos for my 2 Ac’s ( best one yet) and am yet to set up some sonoff switch’s for gate and garage doors and some indoor lights and a Logitech harmony hub for the theater/ tv room lol
All Alexa voice commands works.
I wanted to and a couple more echo dots for upstairs and bedroom, has anyone set up yet?

powered by ?
3NE 2NR for life

Re: Everything Smart homes

Postby powered by ? » January 16th, 2018, 9:28 pm

Currently using the Samsung Smartthing controller, with smartthing multi purpose door sensors, Remotec IR extender for air conditioners, inovelli outlets for TVs, FANS, ETC, GE inwall receptacle for Water Pump, First Alert 2-in-1 Z-Wave Smoke Detector & Carbon Monoxide Alarm ,Ecolink Z-Wave PIR Motion Detector, Aeon Labs In-Wall to control room lights . Alexa Dot which paired with Samsung smartthing allowing interaction with the devices. Also Aeon Labs Smart Energy Monitor Meter to be able to monitor power consumption from my electrical dist. panel.

Looking at your devices i think you need to get a controller to be able to properly manage your smart home, with smartthing i can set automations, i.e. set certain devices to come on or off at certain times, if a device is triggered run a script like if my motion sensors senses motion send me a SMS and EMAIL also send a snap shot from one of my IP cameras. Another example, if my power consumption crosses 5000 Watts notify me .. There are many variables that can be set with smartthing.

Also with my door sensors and siren when we leave home i place my home in an alarm state, that is all sensors are activated and any triggers set the siren off together sending me an SMS and Email. It is very customizable and compatible with the major smart home devices.

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » January 16th, 2018, 10:24 pm

Been adding as i go along, however I am only using Apple HomeKit which is proving to be a lil more difficult to find compatible devices compared to Alexa and Google. But the integration into the phone and OS with homekit should eventually make it better if you are an Apple user.

Currently using Koogeek two gang and single gang smart switches. I stayed away from smart bulbs. Switches are far better IMO.
A couple WeMo plug outlets, which require the WeMo HomeBridge to with Siri, but can be controlled by iPhone via the Harmony app without HomeBridge.
Harmony Elite Home to control home theater, but still no integration to Siri, but can be controlled by iPhone via the Harmony app.

edit: Installed homebridge and got wemo, nest cam, harmony and a bunch of other non-homekit devices working with Apple Home and Siri.

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » January 16th, 2018, 10:24 pm

Pablo660 wrote:I just added a WiFi 3 gang switch for outdoor front lights

which 3 gang are you using?!

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » January 16th, 2018, 10:37 pm

Recently got a dot and tried using the Amazon recommended etekcity plug outlets
Total woft
They just don't work, even their app has problems talking to them

redmanjp
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby redmanjp » January 16th, 2018, 10:50 pm

Bought an eco dot and used it with a tp-link smart plug to control the Christmas tree lights. Now that Christmas over might use it on a lamp.

Thing is it real big. Blocking the other outlet on the surge protector so i have to get some small ones

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » January 17th, 2018, 12:36 am

I’ve had good experiences with this brand so far
https://www.koogeek.com/smart-home-2418/
Supports Siri, Alexa and Google.

Pablo660
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby Pablo660 » January 17th, 2018, 6:12 am

Duane 3NE 2NR wrote:

The part number on amazon is ZNKG-B03 it’s kinda generic. I installed the TuyaSmart home app and added and names switches, they require a neutral wire which is the only drawback but luckily there was one in the 2x4 can.
It connected instantly and the tuya app set to turn on at 6pm and off at 630am so if I’m out lights will auto on. Skills on Alexa enable with logon for tuya and instant voice control

Also the Sensibo app turns on AC 5pm and off at 5am I think but yeah mon - Friday cool room after hot day. The Sensibo has independent temp and humidity for room so I can actually see what avg is.
I installed a sonoff for living room lamps last night, connected to a smart home app then reintegrated to tuya for full Alexa control.
I’m looking at simple circuits to convert on/off to pulse to convert a gate remote to WiFi as well.
Power monitor as mentioned above and home security and the next items up.
I spoke to an alarm company Essentia and the tech advised the Honeywell s7000 so that’s my next move as it has good reviews
I will look into the Samsung smart things hub
I still can’t get the tv on voice via harmony hub, I changed the Alexa location just to enable the skill but no success

teems1
punchin NOS

Postby teems1 » January 17th, 2018, 9:47 am

I use Amazon echo, and purchased a bunch of the Lifx Smart bulbs when they were on sale.

Also use a TP Link smart plug.

jhonnieblue
Riding on 18's

Postby jhonnieblue » January 17th, 2018, 11:11 am

What's a good smart set up to start?
Just got my house and want to start piece by piece. What hub would be good for both Android and iOS? Also what good light switches are their to control a number of led lights

thelem-again
Sweet on this forum

Postby thelem-again » January 17th, 2018, 12:40 pm

I'm doing a Home Kit setup currently. Using Koogeeks plugs to control some small appliances like lamp, my flow box (so i could restart the box), was on my Christmas lights as well. I also have the Phillips hue system connected with the bridge and bulbs throughout my home to control lighting. And finally I have the August smart lock on my main door.

In the future I may do the Smart AC controls to control my air conditioning and I think I should be pretty good.

So far my system works pretty well. Had it over a year now with no issues. I'm an iOS guy so everything connected to my AppleTV for away from home controlling and automation.

phreak
Street 2NR

Postby phreak » January 17th, 2018, 2:08 pm

I started installing stuff about 4 years ago.. so far i have both a lutron caseta hub and a smartthings hub.. on the caseta i have about 15 ~ 20 switches for different areas and lights, plus a few remotes to control groups and what not.. then on the smartthings side i have about 5 ~ 8 ge switches in washrooms and hallways that could be either pushed manually or by default are controlled via motion sensor again via smartthings.. also have some under cabinet led lighting tied to a ge 110 controlled outlet.. on the homekit side i use a few elgato eve door sensors and on the smartthings i use the st multisensor for certain doors.. also have a few wemo, quirky pivot bar and tp link outlets here and there.. then all tied together though voice control through about 5 Amazon Alexa we have, which we also use as an intercom through the house.. and of late, my new favourite interface is ActionTiles.. awesome web interface that you can build out your smart buttons to communicate through ST to almost everything, including cameras, motion detectors, sensors, gate openers and batteries..

PiMan
Street 2NR

Postby PiMan » January 17th, 2018, 7:24 pm

Currently gonna.be doing the lutron caseta system for smart switches and plugs. System is scalable so as time goes on and funds generate more smart switches Will go in with possibility of the serena shades

phreak
Street 2NR

Postby phreak » January 17th, 2018, 7:28 pm

PiMan wrote:Currently gonna.be doing the lutron caseta system for smart switches and plugs. System is scalable so as time goes on and funds generate more smart switches Will go in with possibility of the serena shades

Very cool, that’s how I did it.. added 2 switches every month.. those shades nice but crazy expensive though..

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » January 17th, 2018, 7:36 pm

thelem-again wrote:I'm doing a Home Kit setup currently. Using Koogeeks plugs to control some small appliances like lamp, my flow box (so i could restart the box), was on my Christmas lights as well. I also have the Phillips hue system connected with the bridge and bulbs throughout my home to control lighting. And finally I have the August smart lock on my main door.

In the future I may do the Smart AC controls to control my air conditioning and I think I should be pretty good.

So far my system works pretty well. Had it over a year now with no issues. I'm an iOS guy so everything connected to my AppleTV for away from home controlling and automation.

Same for me, except I stayed away from bulbs and went with switches instead, since if someone switched off the dumb switch it renders the smart bulb inoperable.

I haven't bought a smart lock as yet.

There is currently no smart AC controls that work with HomeKit, I've been searching desperately.
Tadoº, Sensibo, Ambi, none of them work with HomeKit.

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » January 17th, 2018, 7:40 pm

Pablo660 wrote:
Duane 3NE 2NR wrote:

The part number on amazon is ZNKG-B03 it’s kinda generic.

Nice! It's not HomeKit ready tho
Best I could find is the Koogeek 2 gang smart switch that is HomeKit, Alexa and Google Assistant ready.

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » January 17th, 2018, 7:42 pm

phreak wrote:I started installing stuff about 4 years ago.. so far i have both a lutron caseta hub and a smartthings hub.. on the caseta i have about 15 ~ 20 switches for different areas and lights, plus a few remotes to control groups and what not.. then on the smartthings side i have about 5 ~ 8 ge switches in washrooms and hallways that could be either pushed manually or by default are controlled via motion sensor again via smartthings.. also have some under cabinet led lighting tied to a ge 110 controlled outlet.. on the homekit side i use a few elgato eve door sensors and on the smartthings i use the st multisensor for certain doors.. also have a few wemo, quirky pivot bar and tp link outlets here and there.. then all tied together though voice control through about 5 Amazon Alexa we have, which we also use as an intercom through the house.. and of late, my new favourite interface is ActionTiles.. awesome web interface that you can build out your smart buttons to communicate through ST to almost everything, including cameras, motion detectors, sensors, gate openers and batteries..

that's quite a setup!

I like doing things myself, but my biggest grouse with smart switches is that you need a neutral wire running to the switch which means I need to call the electrician each time I add a switch.
For those adding switches for the first time, the smart switch needs power, a regular switch in your house would just use two wires to break the flow of electricity to your bulb or what ever you are switching on and off, so when you switch it off, it loses power. A smart switch needs power all the time to stay connected to wifi etc. To achieve this you need to run a single neutral wire in the wall from the bulb back to the switch. It's easy enough to do, but running through the raceway/conduit may be better to get an electrician, unless there is nothing else in there or it's an easy run.

phreak
Street 2NR

Postby phreak » January 17th, 2018, 7:49 pm

Duane 3NE 2NR wrote:
phreak wrote:I started installing stuff about 4 years ago.. so far i have both a lutron caseta hub and a smartthings hub.. on the caseta i have about 15 ~ 20 switches for different areas and lights, plus a few remotes to control groups and what not.. then on the smartthings side i have about 5 ~ 8 ge switches in washrooms and hallways that could be either pushed manually or by default are controlled via motion sensor again via smartthings.. also have some under cabinet led lighting tied to a ge 110 controlled outlet.. on the homekit side i use a few elgato eve door sensors and on the smartthings i use the st multisensor for certain doors.. also have a few wemo, quirky pivot bar and tp link outlets here and there.. then all tied together though voice control through about 5 Amazon Alexa we have, which we also use as an intercom through the house.. and of late, my new favourite interface is ActionTiles.. awesome web interface that you can build out your smart buttons to communicate through ST to almost everything, including cameras, motion detectors, sensors, gate openers and batteries..

that's quite a setup!

I like doing things myself, but my biggest grouse with smart switches is that you need a neutral wire running to the switch which means I need to call the electrician each time I add a switch

That’s why I love the lutron caseta switches.. no neutral wire necessary.. the few areas I did use ge switches it was close enough to pull a neutral wire from the ceiling light itself.. no electrician but after watching lots of YouTube vids and the occasional 110 zap I’m quite comfortable with it.. ActionTiles real tight though..Image

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » January 18th, 2018, 11:07 am

^ woah!

ActionTiles is US$28.99 one-time fee or annual?

Do you use the Home app in iOS or Siri at all?

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » January 18th, 2018, 11:18 am

anyone using HomeBridge?

thelem-again
Sweet on this forum

Postby thelem-again » January 18th, 2018, 1:25 pm

phreak wrote:
Duane 3NE 2NR wrote:

that's quite a setup!

I like doing things myself, but my biggest grouse with smart switches is that you need a neutral wire running to the switch which means I need to call the electrician each time I add a switch

That’s why I love the lutron caseta switches.. no neutral wire necessary.. the few areas I did use ge switches it was close enough to pull a neutral wire from the ceiling light itself.. no electrician but after watching lots of YouTube vids and the occasional 110 zap I’m quite comfortable with it.. ActionTiles real tight though..Image

Wow!! This is impressive. I like.

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » January 18th, 2018, 3:43 pm

phreak wrote:That’s why I love the lutron caseta switches.. no neutral wire necessary..

Coming to think of it, when i did the Harmony remote setup on the home theater setup in 2009, I added Lutron IR dimmer switches and they did not need a neutral either, but that's because they never actually turn off completely. They just dim down to the point where the bulb doesnt have enough power to be lit, but there's still power on. SO I guess that how they continue to power the wifi etc without needing the neutral when it's "off".

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » January 18th, 2018, 11:07 pm

jhonnieblue wrote:What's a good smart set up to start?
Just got my house and want to start piece by piece. What hub would be good for both Android and iOS? Also what good light switches are their to control a number of led lights

many smart home devices do not require a hub

what phones do you use?

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » January 18th, 2018, 11:11 pm

phreak wrote:ActionTiles real tight though..Image

Hey what are you using to automate and monitor the gate?
Also what are those batteries about?

phreak
Street 2NR

Postby phreak » January 18th, 2018, 11:21 pm

Duane 3NE 2NR wrote:
phreak wrote:ActionTiles real tight though..Image

Hey what are you using to automate and monitor the gate?
Also what are those batteries about?

Gate controller is done with a microcontroller wired to a remote control.. button is a virtual switch through SmartThings that runs an ifttt command that triggers gpio on the mc through a c++ script that “pushes” the button on a remote.. gate is monitored though the camera that shows a live feed of the camera..
Batteries show various battery levels on various motion/door/temperature sensors..

hong kong phooey
punchin NOS

Postby hong kong phooey » January 19th, 2018, 12:33 am

Ah just asking
but any of you guys check the radiation levels emitted within your homes with all these devices

blitz83
Street 2NR

Postby blitz83 » January 19th, 2018, 2:43 am

hong kong phooey wrote:Ah just asking
but any of you guys check the radiation levels emitted within your homes with all these devices

Man sounding jelly yes. I sure is alot less compared to your phone in your pocket.

devon4786
3NE 2NR for life

Postby devon4786 » January 19th, 2018, 6:58 am

Echo dot, 3 Lifx Bulbs, Lifx Z Strip and some DIY dumb leds turned smart that can be controlled via Alexa. The next project is to work on something for my AC. It's the only odd one out now haha. Checked out the Sensibo posted above but can't justify the price....as yet..

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » January 19th, 2018, 10:10 am

devon4786 wrote:Echo dot, 3 Lifx Bulbs, Lifx Z Strip and some DIY dumb leds turned smart that can be controlled via Alexa. The next project is to work on something for my AC. It's the only odd one out now haha. Checked out the Sensibo posted above but can't justify the price....as yet..

There's Sensibo Sky, Ambi Climate 2, Tadoº, Air Patrol and a few others.

The Sensibo Sky is US$119 on Amazon. that can get pricey when you have split units all over your house.

Then there are much cheaper IR emitters that can work with some programming and fiddling. But I'd think the options above are much easier.

If you have a Logitech Harmony remote you can use it to control your AC too. The Harmony Home app lets you control your AC when you are not home, incase you may want to turn it on before you get home or if you forgot to turn it off before leaving.

Pablo660
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby Pablo660 » January 19th, 2018, 10:46 am

The Sensibo gives the current temp and humidity of room though which I find is helpful.
Anyone using the harmony hub , any good links for setup up?
I have to Samsung smart TVs 8000 and 6300 but I can’t get the 6300 to respond and it not an ir remote !
Harmony detected both but both turns on the 8000 series.
I feel I’m might start over

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”