Forums

Everything Smart Homes in Trinidad & Tobago

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

src1983
18 pounds of Boost

Re: Everything Smart Homes in Trinidad & Tobago

Postby src1983 » November 20th, 2021, 10:52 pm

thelem-again wrote:As New Construction is mention, I myself plan to do some wiring for a home network which will include building a decent functional smart home.

Opinions are welcomed.

1. Full 2 level home will be wired with CAT6 cabling with jacks in each room. TV's, Printers, Game Consoles, Apple TV will be wired.
2. Each Level will have a Unifi AP long-range. This will be solely for wireless devices such as laptops, tablets and smartphones and IoT devices utilizing the 5Ghz band.
3. Entire house will have smart light switches with smart plugs in certain areas. Switches will be Treatlife. These will operate on the 2.4Ghz band.
4. I would be using POE Security Cameras with person and vehicle detection. I may keep the NVR instead of using them as IP Cameras.
5. I would be tying all of this together with a Unifi Switch Pro 24 POE.
6. Lastly, whilst I previously had Apple Homekit, I think I will migrate to Alexa due to increased compatibility. So i go with the Echo Dot 4th Gen.
7. Of course this includes other additions to make some automations possible such as smart locks, a garage opener and smart curtains.

I'm actually doing this also, with the addition of home assistant and Lutron switches

thelem-again
Sweet on this forum

Postby thelem-again » November 22nd, 2021, 3:24 pm

Duane 3NE 2NR wrote:
thelem-again wrote:As New Construction is mention, I myself plan to do some wiring for a home network which will include building a decent functional smart home.

Opinions are welcomed.

1. Full 2 level home will be wired with CAT6 cabling with jacks in each room. TV's, Printers, Game Consoles, Apple TV will be wired.
2. Each Level will have a Unifi AP long-range. This will be solely for wireless devices such as laptops, tablets and smartphones and IoT devices utilizing the 5Ghz band.
3. Entire house will have smart light switches with smart plugs in certain areas. Switches will be Treatlife. These will operate on the 2.4Ghz band.
4. I would be using POE Security Cameras with person and vehicle detection. I may keep the NVR instead of using them as IP Cameras.
6. Lastly, whilst I previously had Apple Homekit, I think I will migrate to Alexa due to increased compatibility. So i go with the Echo Dot 4th Gen.
7. Of course this includes other additions to make some automations possible such as smart locks, a garage opener and smart curtains.

Nice!
I'd choose Lutron Caseta over the Treatlife switches - the Lutron works with Alexa, HomeKit and Google Home.
Also Caseta works with a hub so ALL the switches in the house will use ONE wifi connection instead of each switch using its own wifi connection and potentially clogging up the router.
Also an Echo Show is FAR better as a smart home hub than a Dot 8-)

Thanks for that suggestion.

Was only going with the Treatlife because of the compatibility and cost, but the Lutron Caseta having a hub is really a pro despite it being a bit on the pricey end.

Will also use the Echo Show.

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » November 22nd, 2021, 3:37 pm

thelem-again wrote:
Duane 3NE 2NR wrote:

Opinions are welcomed.

Nice!
I'd choose Lutron Caseta over the Treatlife switches - the Lutron works with Alexa, HomeKit and Google Home.
Also Caseta works with a hub so ALL the switches in the house will use ONE wifi connection instead of each switch using its own wifi connection and potentially clogging up the router.
Also an Echo Show is FAR better as a smart home hub than a Dot 8-)

Thanks for that suggestion.

Was only going with the Treatlife because of the compatibility and cost, but the Lutron Caseta having a hub is really a pro despite it being a bit on the pricey end.

Will also use the Echo Show.

It's pricey but I put regular switches first and then changed out to Lutron a few a time as budget permitted.
Having it support all the different assistants means I can access in different ways and if the industry goes another way I know the switches will support it by updating the hub alone

st7
punchin NOS

Postby st7 » November 23rd, 2021, 7:11 pm

i'm looking like 2 gang smart switches that can fit on a 2x4 panel... any suggestions? i been looking on amazon but they look like they would only fit on a 4x4

Edit: found this touch panel one!

https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Anywher ... B07K9G28JK

Gladiator
punchin NOS

Postby Gladiator » November 23rd, 2021, 8:30 pm

st7 wrote:i'm looking like 2 gang smart switches that can fit on a 2x4 panel... any suggestions? i been looking on amazon but they look like they would only fit on a 4x4

Those fit in the 2x4 can perfectly bro...

eitech
punchin NOS

Postby eitech » November 23rd, 2021, 9:32 pm

Gladiator wrote:
st7 wrote:i'm looking like 2 gang smart switches that can fit on a 2x4 panel... any suggestions? i been looking on amazon but they look like they would only fit on a 4x4

Yep i have 7 installed

st7
punchin NOS

Postby st7 » November 23rd, 2021, 9:43 pm

eitech wrote:
Gladiator wrote:

Yep i have 7 installed

same one? nice

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » November 23rd, 2021, 10:03 pm

This is two gang? How many light circuits can be controlled from this single switch? And, do these work like a normal switch if WiFi goes down?

eitech
punchin NOS

Postby eitech » November 23rd, 2021, 10:32 pm

carluva wrote:This is two gang? How many light circuits can be controlled from this single switch? And, do these work like a normal switch if WiFi goes down?

The ones i have come in 1,2 and 3 gang. If the wifi goes down it works like a normal switch. However to wire the switch you need a neutral. A normal light switch does not use a neutral at the switch so you would have to get a neutral to power all wifi smart switches.

I think the rating for each switch is like 16a and if you’re running led lights you can have a a few lights well depending on what you using them for. Of course don’t over do it. I use them for ceiling lights and ceiling fans as well

eitech
punchin NOS

Postby eitech » November 23rd, 2021, 10:40 pm

st7 wrote:
eitech wrote:
Gladiator wrote:

Yep i have 7 installed

same one? nice

Oh now saw this na is a different brand but all have same concept of operation

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » November 23rd, 2021, 10:42 pm

Very interesting and unusual in a good way.

eitech
punchin NOS

Postby eitech » November 23rd, 2021, 10:54 pm

carluva wrote:Very interesting and unusual in a good way.

My padna who sells me them was looking into smart switches that don’t utilize the neutral however he says they result in some kind of buzzing sound. Installing smart switches it kind of a pain to pull a neutral especially on completed houses but oh the wonders you can do

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » November 23rd, 2021, 11:08 pm

Some Lutron caseta doesn't need the neutral and can work with the Lutron bridge. The trade-off there is that only a single caseta device will fit into the standard 2x4 cans.

With the advent of this smart tech, construction and wiring methods have changed to some degree compared to years ago. This makes retrofits a bit complex especially for those who have normal bticino 3 gang switches. Not impossible, but one will have to be prepared for some masonry and electrical work to install additional cans.

st7
punchin NOS

Postby st7 » November 24th, 2021, 12:06 am

eitech wrote:
carluva wrote:Very interesting and unusual in a good way.

My padna who sells me them was looking into smart switches that don’t utilize the neutral however he says they result in some kind of buzzing sound. Installing smart switches it kind of a pain to pull a neutral especially on completed houses but oh the wonders you can do

yeah i've seen reviews mention the buzzing sound

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » November 24th, 2021, 1:05 am

carluva wrote:Some Lutron caseta doesn't need the neutral and can work with the Lutron bridge. The trade-off there is that only a single caseta device will fit into the standard 2x4 cans.

With the advent of this smart tech, construction and wiring methods have changed to some degree compared to years ago. This makes retrofits a bit complex especially for those who have normal bticino 3 gang switches. Not impossible, but one will have to be prepared for some masonry and electrical work to install additional cans.

This was me exactly

The Lutron dimmers don't need a neutral because they can dim down to almost no power, but still keep enough power to stay connected to the network.
The Lutron on/off switches however do need a neutral - so i had to rewire for a few of them where I didn't need a dimmer.
There is one Lutron switch model PD-5WS-DV-WH that doesnt have a neutral but is more expensive than the other switch with a neutral.

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » January 10th, 2022, 8:16 pm

The 5 most interesting smart home products from CES 2022

nismodriver
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby nismodriver » February 7th, 2022, 12:00 am

Strange.
I've been using it for past 5 years. Upgraded to the latest app and also its integrated to the Echos.
I do mostly automations and Voice controls over the Alexa, but has been stable.
Had some issues early last year but looked like Samsung did some updates.
The Samsung TV disconnects from the app every now and then, but the devices for the most part stay connected.
Devices range from GE plugs, Leviton switches, Zwave extenders for the ACs , Osram Smart bulbs , LED strips etc.

Gladiator wrote:
supercharged turbo wrote:What zwave hub allyuh using?I'm looking at the Samsung SmartThings Hub but I find it kinda pricey.

I have been using the smartthings hub for the better part of 3 years. It was so much headache that I migrated everything except one switch to another hub.

Samsung does not seem to care about this platform. Its buggy as hell and goes down for 3-4 days at a time. No amount of negative feedback from international users seem to even budge them out of their beds to resolve any issues.

I would recommend you stay far from smartthings and the samsung hub. I m going to try Amazon next...

2WNBoost
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby 2WNBoost » February 10th, 2022, 8:32 am

A lot of so called smart devices can only use the 2.4MHz Wi-Fi network. When exposed to mixed mode or hidden networks they have difficulty in reconnecting.

Also it may be advisable to run your smart home on a Wi-Fi network that’s independent from one where you do your online banking or have computers with sensitive information.

nismodriver wrote:Strange.
I've been using it for past 5 years. Upgraded to the latest app and also its integrated to the Echos.
The Samsung TV disconnects from the app every now and then, but the devices for the most part stay connected.
Devices range from GE plugs, Leviton switches, Zwave extenders for the ACs , Osram Smart bulbs , LED strips etc.

Gladiator wrote:
supercharged turbo wrote:What zwave hub allyuh using?I'm looking at the Samsung SmartThings Hub but I find it kinda pricey.

I have been using the smartthings hub for the better part of 3 years. It was so much headache that I migrated everything except one switch to another hub.

Samsung does not seem to care about this platform. Its buggy as hell and goes down for 3-4 days at a time. No amount of negative feedback from international users seem to even budge them out of their beds to resolve any issues.

I would recommend you stay far from smartthings and the samsung hub. I m going to try Amazon next...

francis1979
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby francis1979 » February 11th, 2022, 2:39 am

Tuners

Anyone can recommend how to upgrade my alarm system (DSC Alexor with wireless sensors) to remote monitoring / notification via internet at minimum cost? ( even better is sending of signals via SIM card)

Next question; I am using a Amcrest DVR with PoR IP cameras; the dvr was advertised as 16 channel however we can only get 9 cameras stable on the system @ 4K. Once we add additional cameras problems occur even with lowering of transmission quality.
Two questions:
1) what can be done with existing DVR
2) is there an alternative dvr that I can switch to that can resolve thr problem at minimum cost
3) is there any system when I can use a SIM card for transmission of data

INDAVID WORKSHOP
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby INDAVID WORKSHOP » July 21st, 2022, 12:39 pm

francis1979 wrote:Tuners

Anyone can recommend how to upgrade my alarm system (DSC Alexor with wireless sensors) to remote monitoring / notification via internet at minimum cost? ( even better is sending of signals via SIM card)

Next question; I am using a Amcrest DVR with PoR IP cameras; the dvr was advertised as 16 channel however we can only get 9 cameras stable on the system @ 4K. Once we add additional cameras problems occur even with lowering of transmission quality.
Two questions:
1) what can be done with existing DVR
2) is there an alternative dvr that I can switch to that can resolve thr problem at minimum cost
3) is there any system when I can use a SIM card for transmission of data

Bro I updated my DSC to wireless.

Installed a wireless card in the main control box and changed the one Keypad to accept wireless signals works well with wireless link to my phone with alerts

No issue to date I had a tech do all the works and programming -not too expensive as he had all items easily available.

Gladiator
punchin NOS

Postby Gladiator » July 22nd, 2022, 8:16 am

nismodriver wrote:Strange.

Gladiator wrote:

Glad you got the Smartthings hub to work well for you...I gave up and cut everything across to an Amazon Echo hub.

No issues whatsoever everything going works flawlessly now.

I think I got spoilt, I have been using smart home since X10 days and forgot where some of my light switches located...lol

src1983
18 pounds of Boost

Postby src1983 » July 23rd, 2022, 11:17 am

Anybody ever tried making there pool smart?

Example - Showing the pool chemistry in homeassistant, lights on/off/color etc

bluefete
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby bluefete » July 23rd, 2022, 12:55 pm

Anyone know how to get cameras to show on the internet?

Mine was working but then all of a sudden the admin name and password are not coming up anymore on my laptop.

I unplugged and replugged but to no avail.

matix
Shifting into 6th

Postby matix » July 23rd, 2022, 2:15 pm

bluefete wrote:Anyone know how to get cameras to show on the internet?

Mine was working but then all of a sudden the admin name and password are not coming up anymore on my laptop.

Brand? Internet provider?

bluefete
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby bluefete » July 23rd, 2022, 10:05 pm

matix wrote:

Brand is ANNKE

Internet Provider is FLOW.

I don' t think Flow is the problem here but something to do with the fact that the online stream somehow links to China in some way.

I am not IT savvy so I cannot say much on this.

What I do know is that we were able to log in online and not for anything can we do so anymore..

matix
Shifting into 6th

Postby matix » July 23rd, 2022, 10:09 pm

bluefete wrote:
matix wrote:

Brand is ANNKE

I don' t think Flow is the problem here but something to do with the fact that the online stream somehow links to China in some way.

What I do know is that we were able to log in online and not for anything can we do so anymore..

Go into the DVR menu, Network, Platform Access, and check if the device is online, It’s easy to find.

bluefete
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby bluefete » July 23rd, 2022, 10:24 pm

matix wrote:
bluefete wrote:
matix wrote:

Brand is ANNKE

Go into the DVR menu, Network, Platform Access, and check if the device is online, It’s easy to find.

Errmm, not to sound like a noob but how do I access the DVR menu. I can access the cameras through my TV and I am getting "stop recording" / "instant playback" / PTZ control but I am not seeing anything like you mentioned.

matix
Shifting into 6th

Postby matix » July 23rd, 2022, 10:27 pm

bluefete wrote:
matix wrote:
bluefete wrote:
matix wrote:

Brand is ANNKE

Errmm, not to sound like a noob but how do I access the DVR menu. I can access the cameras through my TV and I am getting "stop recording" / "instant playback" / PTZ control but I am not seeing anything like you mentioned.

Using the mouse, right click and the menu will come up, left click to open what you need to

bluefete
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby bluefete » July 23rd, 2022, 10:32 pm

matix wrote:
bluefete wrote:
matix wrote:
bluefete wrote:
matix wrote:

Brand is ANNKE

Using the mouse, right click and the menu will come up, left click to open what you need to

Trying it now. Will get back to you in a couple minutes

bluefete
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby bluefete » July 23rd, 2022, 10:34 pm

It says status offline.

And below that it says: ANNKE Vision Account status ; Unlinked

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”