Forums

Everything Smart Homes in Trinidad & Tobago

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

phreak
Street 2NR

Re: Everything Smart homes

Postby phreak » April 13th, 2018, 11:00 pm

Duane 3NE 2NR wrote:Wanna report back that the Lutron Caseta switches are really the best I've seen. With a hub they are Alexa, Siri and Google Home compatible and they work on their own frequency and don't consume wifi for each switch.

They don't have double gang like the Koogeek, however Koogeek only supports Siri (Apple HomeKit) currently.

Also the Lutron Caseta dimmers don't require a neutral wire, but the regular on/off switches do require a neutral wire.

Yep, been saying that for years.. love them..

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » April 14th, 2018, 12:30 pm

phreak wrote:
Duane 3NE 2NR wrote:Wanna report back that the Lutron Caseta switches are really the best I've seen. With a hub they are Alexa, Siri and Google Home compatible and they work on their own frequency and don't consume wifi for each switch.

They don't have double gang like the Koogeek, however Koogeek only supports Siri (Apple HomeKit) currently.

Also the Lutron Caseta dimmers don't require a neutral wire, but the regular on/off switches do require a neutral wire.

The Caseta multi-location on/off switch has a neutral but the load is causing the light to still glow dimly even when it’s off.

phreak
Street 2NR

Postby phreak » April 14th, 2018, 12:41 pm

Duane 3NE 2NR wrote:
phreak wrote:

The Caseta multi-location on/off switch has a neutral but the load is causing the light to still glow dimly even when it’s off.

Depending on the type of bulb..

I’ve since replaced all bulbs in house to cree dimable led bulbs.. these can dim to 1% and has a very good quality 2700k light..

The switches can also trim adjust for different types of bulbs if necessary..

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » April 14th, 2018, 9:21 pm

^ dimmers can trim adjust, not switches I think.

and YES on Cree! bought some and very pleased with the brand

thelem-again
Sweet on this forum

Postby thelem-again » May 9th, 2018, 2:04 pm

I'm considering doing a project using the Raspberry Pi 3 and doing a Home Kit enabled Smart Camera for home.

Anyone ever tried it?

I know it wont be the most visually appealing system, but I'm planning on using a case and doing a neat installation. Might consider 2/3 cameras.

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » May 9th, 2018, 8:03 pm

thelem-again wrote:I'm considering doing a project using the Raspberry Pi 3 and doing a Home Kit enabled Smart Camera for home.

Anyone ever tried it?

I know it wont be the most visually appealing system, but I'm planning on using a case and doing a neat installation. Might consider 2/3 cameras.

Homebridge running on a PC will support Nest Cameras in HomeKit

src1983
18 pounds of Boost

Postby src1983 » May 28th, 2018, 8:30 pm

thelem-again wrote:I'm considering doing a project using the Raspberry Pi 3 and doing a Home Kit enabled Smart Camera for home.

Anyone ever tried it?

Linus has a write up on this, he posted a video today

INDAVID WORKSHOP
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby INDAVID WORKSHOP » February 20th, 2019, 10:12 am

In for info using Google Home mini with Philip Hue light system works well thus far.

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » February 20th, 2019, 12:50 pm

INDAVID WORKSHOP wrote:In for info using Google Home mini with Philip Hue light system works well thus far.

I've been using a Phillips Hue Motion Sensor to control some Lutron Caseta smart switches and to get the room temperature, works great!

https://www2.meethue.com/en-us/p/hue-mo ... 6677473389

it will work with your existing Hue hub too

INDAVID WORKSHOP
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby INDAVID WORKSHOP » February 20th, 2019, 3:55 pm

Duane 3NE 2NR wrote:
INDAVID WORKSHOP wrote:In for info using Google Home mini with Philip Hue light system works well thus far.

I've been using a Phillips Hue Motion Sensor to control some Lutron Caseta smart switches and to get the room temperature, works great!

https://www2.meethue.com/en-us/p/hue-mo ... 6677473389

it will work with your existing Hue hub too

Thanks only now started out my system so exploring all option to expand.

worksux101
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby worksux101 » February 21st, 2019, 2:36 pm

Any advice for someone about to start building a home on how best to integrate all these smart devices.
What to purchase etc, or even a link to a beginners guide or such.
Google is expansive and would be great to hear from someone with experience in tnt

South Man
Street 2NR

Postby South Man » April 29th, 2019, 11:26 am

worksux101 wrote:Any advice for someone about to start building a home on how best to integrate all these smart devices.
What to purchase etc, or even a link to a beginners guide or such.
Google is expansive and would be great to hear from someone with experience in tnt

Bump for info on this

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » April 29th, 2019, 11:41 am

IMO If you are building from scratch an can wire for it then look at a modular system like Control4, as these are a little more difficult to add to your home after it's built and wired.

Otherwise Lutron Caseta and Alexa/Siri/Google Assistant works great and then you add in what you need, Harmony hub, Sensibo, Security, cameras (Wyze) etc

src1983
18 pounds of Boost

Postby src1983 » April 29th, 2019, 11:59 am

Build around what you want to use

Example I use Alexa so every device I buy I check to see if its compatible

For lights I use lutron
Roomba for vacuum
Sonos for home audio
Harmony hub for home theater

I still need to install door locks etc.

src1983
18 pounds of Boost

Postby src1983 » April 29th, 2019, 12:00 pm

Duane 3NE 2NR wrote:IMO If you are building from scratch an can wire for it then look at a modular system like Control4, as these are a little more difficult to add to your home after it's built and wired.

Otherwise Lutron Caseta and Alexa/Siri/Google Assistant works great and then you add in what you need, Harmony hub, Sensibo, Security, cameras (Wyze) etc

Control4 a diy or you need professional install?

If so who locally does it?

Chimera
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Chimera » April 29th, 2019, 12:33 pm

this is what i have/what i've done with my smart devices at home and office

basic alexa echos in a few rooms

I have led rolls around my office doors, signage etc..those are attached to this
and are on timers to come on at 10am and come off at 430pm (for office) and also to respond to "Good Morning" and good night if i open up earlier
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073Y ... UTF8&psc=1

This is linked to my surround sound system and my phone
So if i play music off my phone/youtube etc, the lights are in sync with that, through alexa

I have this alarm system

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A1 ... UTF8&psc=1

only because of this cheap lil system I was able to foil the last break in at my business place a few weeks ago
its alexa compatible and its set to arm every everning at 4:30 if i forget to arm it

I have several of these attached to different existing lights that come on and off at different times and I can also put them on with voice command or use my phone from a different location. some of the lights are on random timers
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078S ... UTF8&psc=1

i have this for different security lights and for devices that i may forget to take off/that i want to put on at certain times
I have some flashing lights in front my business that turn on 6am-6pm etc
I also used this when we recently casted concrete in the backyard and had to keep the concrete soaked for it to cure.
this timer allowed me to put on a pump attached to agricultural driphose at any point i wanted from my phone instead of physically having to be there. you can also set 30 timers a day per device
I also have some sirens plugged into these at different locations that are attached to the alarm system and to echo buttons

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079M ... UTF8&psc=1

I have echo buttons linked to the gosund outlets for different purposes
1) sirens
2) if i doing some type of electrical work by myself and i dont want to be up and down ladder to unplug/replug, i just plug this into a outlet and keep the echo button on me to switch off and on
3) i have cameras everywhere at my office now, i cant afford having blindspots. certain cameras i cant have on during the day but they have to be on in the night. so those cameras are plugged into a power supply that are plugged into a gosund outlet that are on a timer to come on at evening and come off in the morning. i have the option to use my phone to turn them on at any time

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072C ... UTF8&psc=1

worksux101
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby worksux101 » April 30th, 2019, 12:01 am

Duane 3NE 2NR wrote:IMO If you are building from scratch an can wire for it then look at a modular system like Control4, as these are a little more difficult to add to your home after it's built and wired.

Almost everything i read suggests wiring normally then add smart switches etc.

Any idea Whats the advantage of using something like control4?

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » April 30th, 2019, 9:40 pm

^ Control4 and similar systems are by far more advanced and integrated than the device-by-device type setup.

Apps like Apple HomeKit try to bring that integration to some semblance of these integrated systems.

While HomeKit itself is free, not many devices are compatible. More devices are compatible with Alexa and while the Echo Show makes for a great home automation hub, it's still a patchwork of a bunch of devices by different manufacturers each with different quirks.

I did not go the Control4 way because the jump was too big initially. So I'm using HomeKit and Alexa. I have devices that are compatible with both.

HomeKit on iOS
8ae71909-3759-42b6-9f62-1be1e9943089.jpg

47bb780d-a4f7-4686-ab85-138cffe443a6.jpg

These are switches, dimmers, plugs by Lutron Caseta + switches and dimmers by Koogeek + motion sensors and thermometer by Phillips Hue + plugs by WeMo + A/V and A/C control by Logitech Harmony. Instead of using the individual apps to control each, HomeKit lets you integrate all into one place and since it is built into the OS, it feels more integrated into your phone. Will work great on an iPad mini as a whole house remote too.

teems1
punchin NOS

Postby teems1 » April 30th, 2019, 11:30 pm

To get your feet wet just try a smart bulb which is supported by Alexa.

I use LIFX. I usually wait for the sales when buying them on Amazon.

worksux101
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby worksux101 » May 1st, 2019, 12:12 am

It's for a new home. Hoping to start construction in a month or two.
My architect already did the plan with the traditional electrical setup, but it's quite easy to convert when building.

The setup duane has is pretty much identical to what I was going for, except I'd likely use smartthings instead, linked to a tablet or two and ofc everyone's phone.

Maybe it's just my lack of knowledge, but I can't see how something like control4 is gonna make a tangible difference vs linking the individual components to a hub.

Thanks much for the advice.