Back yards / landscaping

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Re: Back yards / landscaping

Postby carluva » October 26th, 2021, 9:25 am

That is normal.

The runoff will subside once the grass takes root in the ground.

What will help is for you to pass a roller to compact the ground slightly. That should offer some resistance to runoff.

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby timelapse » October 26th, 2021, 11:16 am

carluva wrote:That is normal.

The runoff will subside once the grass takes root in the ground.

What will help is for you to pass a roller to compact the ground slightly. That should offer some resistance to runoff.
You can roll some heavy iron pipe on it, or fill concrete in a piece of 4" pvc and use that.

Country_Bookie
punchin NOS

Postby Country_Bookie » November 2nd, 2021, 8:04 pm

Can anyone recommend a professional landscape artist? I'd like to get a professional opinion on what will look good in my space before doing anything.

fokhan_96
Riding on 17's

Postby fokhan_96 » November 2nd, 2021, 8:16 pm

Hinds wrote:
fokhan_96 wrote:
Hinds wrote:I’m in need of some advice. My yard is made up mainly of heavy clay and I am interested in establishing some lawn. It has about a 2inch layer of sandfill but I need to add about 3 more inches to properly level out the yard. I was advised not to use anymore sandfill but quality soil is something hard to come by lately. Any advice on how to proceed? It’s approximately 3500sqft of land
Op i had the same problem you had. I stuck with sandfill as it much cheaper than top soil. But many people would advise against sandfill if you have to plant anything because the soil is "dead", dont contain any organic matter, acidic, blah blah. I used sandfill, bought a bag of limestone and sprinkled over the area ( a feedbag of limestone is about $65). Watered with liquid manure (liquid litter) and 20.20.20+me (nutrex). Planted zoysia grass. It took a while for grass to grow, but it did eventually and even with this hot dry weather we getting recently, lawn still holding up and i don't even water it. This worked for me and it's a much cheaper option than buying topsoil which is about $250 a yard as opposed to sandfill which is $400 for 10 yards.

Did you have any run off issues with the bare sand? Some areas aren’t flat and I noticed that the sand is running off with the rain.
No it's flat land, with a very gentle grade for water to run off . Initially there was some run off but as grass grows it would hold the material together.

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » November 3rd, 2021, 6:56 am

Centrascape does landscaping and landscape design. If you want to do any construction of pergolas, trellises or masonry work, I'm not sure they do that but they can certainly integrate what you have into a landscape.

Fwiw, if you know your plants or at least know the plant sizes you'd like, ranging from grass to ground cover, hedges, small/big shrubs and trees, and you know the amount of sunlight throughout the yard space, you can do this yourself and save some money. Alternatively, if you take photos and perhaps draw a map, staff at La Vega will offer good assistance. Just make sure to buy the plants from them after. If you go this route, visit them during a weekday, perhaps soon after they open for business so you can get the benefit of the place being dead and staff being more available.

Country_Bookie wrote:Can anyone recommend a professional landscape artist? I'd like to get a professional opinion on what will look good in my space before doing anything.

Hinds
Street 2NR

Postby Hinds » November 15th, 2021, 8:31 pm

How often should I water savannah grass after planting? Haven’t been getting much rain lately, so looks like I will have to rely on watering it myself

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » November 15th, 2021, 9:40 pm

Daily is best.

The ground should be damp not soaked.

If you used plugs, you need to encourage the plugs to take root. Remember that the grass was stressed with all the cutting up into plugs. So you need to help it along by ensuring it does not get heat stressed.

Once the plugs take root and the clumps are growing and sending out runners, reduce the watering such that it dries out between watering. This now encourages roots to grow strong and deep in the search for water. If they are getting the water easily, the roots won't be encouraged to grow. If you let the area dry out between, then the roots are forced to grow and by extension the grass will spread.

It's the same concept for many landscaping plants as well.
Hinds wrote:How often should I water savannah grass after planting? Haven’t been getting much rain lately, so looks like I will have to rely on watering it myself

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby timelapse » November 16th, 2021, 7:24 am

That there is good advice.Most people will overwater and start putting all kinds of fertilizer too early and end up killing the grass.

Hinds
Street 2NR

Postby Hinds » November 16th, 2021, 2:24 pm

carluva wrote:Daily is best.

The ground should be damp not soaked.

If you used plugs, you need to encourage the plugs to take root. Remember that the grass was stressed with all the cutting up into plugs. So you need to help it along by ensuring it does not get heat stressed.

Once the plugs take root and the clumps are growing and sending out runners, reduce the watering such that it dries out between watering. This now encourages roots to grow strong and deep in the search for water. If they are getting the water easily, the roots won't be encouraged to grow. If you let the area dry out between, then the roots are forced to grow and by extension the grass will spread.

It's the same concept for many landscaping plants as well.
Hinds wrote:How often should I water savannah grass after planting? Haven’t been getting much rain lately, so looks like I will have to rely on watering it myself

I finally completed the backfill and top dressed with manure to try to add nutrients to the soil. Planning to plant grass by the weekend but outside is so hot that the soil looks very dry. As I wet the ground it drying up in no time. Outside hotter than satan’s pocket. Is morning preferable to water? Not home during the day to water as it dries up.

computercentral
Trinituner Peong

Postby computercentral » November 16th, 2021, 5:07 pm

I suggest that you wait for some rain then plant it

hover11
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby hover11 » November 16th, 2021, 5:15 pm

For most of yall with backyards do you prefer low cut or just cast with concrete, I have a project to begin home and wondering if I can cast the backyard or keep a portion with my mango and pommerac tree

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby timelapse » November 16th, 2021, 6:33 pm

I prefer less concrete for environmental reasons but you'd know what's best for you

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » November 16th, 2021, 6:47 pm

Our preference shouldn't factor in to what you decide to do. After all, you are free to decide what you'd like to do as you indicated on other forums.

Country_Bookie
punchin NOS

Postby Country_Bookie » November 16th, 2021, 7:13 pm

carluva wrote:Centrascape does landscaping and landscape design. If you want to do any construction of pergolas, trellises or masonry work, I'm not sure they do that but they can certainly integrate what you have into a landscape.

Fwiw, if you know your plants or at least know the plant sizes you'd like, ranging from grass to ground cover, hedges, small/big shrubs and trees, and you know the amount of sunlight throughout the yard space, you can do this yourself and save some money. Alternatively, if you take photos and perhaps draw a map, staff at La Vega will offer good assistance. Just make sure to buy the plants from them after. If you go this route, visit them during a weekday, perhaps soon after they open for business so you can get the benefit of the place being dead and staff being more available.

Country_Bookie wrote:Can anyone recommend a professional landscape artist? I'd like to get a professional opinion on what will look good in my space before doing anything.
Thanks for the advice

Rory Phoulorie
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby Rory Phoulorie » November 16th, 2021, 7:45 pm

Selva Edwards

+1 (868) 682-4948

hover11
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby hover11 » November 16th, 2021, 7:47 pm

timelapse wrote:I prefer less concrete for environmental reasons but you'd know what's best for you
So it better to leave some bush I don't want a concrete jungle you right thanks

hover11
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby hover11 » November 16th, 2021, 7:47 pm

carluva wrote:Our preference shouldn't factor in to what you decide to do. After all, you are free to decide what you'd like to do as you indicated on other forums.
Ever heard if you have NOTHING good to say , say nothing at all try it some time , I asked a simple question could simply by pass it try it next time ok cool breeze

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby timelapse » November 16th, 2021, 8:41 pm

hover11 wrote:
timelapse wrote:I prefer less concrete for environmental reasons but you'd know what's best for you
What is the terrain you dealing with?
Take a pic if you can.Drainage etc.
What I meant is that you would know what you dealing with and why you would want to concrete.If is snakes, concrete he mc!

alfa
Shifting into 6th

Postby alfa » November 16th, 2021, 8:47 pm

hover11 wrote:For most of yall with backyards do you prefer low cut or just cast with concrete, I have a project to begin home and wondering if I can cast the backyard or keep a portion with my mango and pommerac tree

I like the natural look but with dirt comes mud when it rains which can be a big problem if it's an area you traverse regularly. Could use stepping stones though

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » November 16th, 2021, 9:15 pm

Wham hover, you cyah take a lil picong sometimes? I thought the smiley face would have suggested otherwise but...

... Anyhow... Concrete near tree roots such as those trees you have there is a no no. Concrete will crack over time. Plus, and personally, that look of concrete with a space for a plant is very dated.

You could get away with landscaping using stones as this will still allow water to permeate. Add a few pots and you have a gorgeous potscape.

Some grass may die under trees due to lack of sunlight, depending on the size of the tree and the shade offered.

Then you have to consider the drainage in the yard as concrete can actually exacerbate poor drainage.

Send some pics for a better perspective.

shake d livin wake d dead
TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » November 17th, 2021, 8:43 am

Turf grass: where to buy and how does it sell?? Thanks

Gladiator
punchin NOS

Postby Gladiator » November 17th, 2021, 2:57 pm

shake d livin wake d dead wrote:Turf grass: where to buy and how does it sell?? Thanks

Last time i bought was by Peter Richards in Macoya. a 4ft x 6ft piece cost me about $600 that was about 4 years ago.

shake d livin wake d dead
TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » November 17th, 2021, 4:09 pm

Thanks...is between that, bermuda and zoysia

Chimera
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Chimera » November 17th, 2021, 4:21 pm

If you not in a rush buy a pack of seeds for $125.
Set them in pro mix in seedling tray and plant the plugs yourself

hover11
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby hover11 » November 17th, 2021, 4:43 pm

timelapse wrote:
hover11 wrote:
What is the terrain you dealing with?
Take a pic if you can.Drainage etc.
What I meant is that you would know what you dealing with and why you would want to concrete.If is snakes, concrete he mc!
I will take a pic this weekend cuz the guys clearing out is like a jungle tbh have alot of old things to discard like bricks and galvanize, treated lumber etc.....a landscaper did a site visit and said there is a strong possibility snakes would hide under those things, however, I never saw one knock on wood, when that is discarded I will take a pic, plan is to really extend and bring some tenants

Chimera
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Chimera » November 17th, 2021, 4:45 pm

If yuh wanna run the snakes get some strong black disinfectant and spray down the place heavy. It will run them

hover11
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby hover11 » November 17th, 2021, 4:49 pm

Phone Surgeon wrote:If yuh wanna run the snakes get some strong black disinfectant and spray down the place heavy. It will run them
He was telling me it has something he could spray to kill them but I can't be home when that happens and I have to carry my dogs somewhere it that potent.....any particular brand or disinfectant to buy?

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby timelapse » November 17th, 2021, 5:07 pm

Don't get a landscaper to clean out.Thats what pipers for.Dem fellas don't fraid snake

Chimera
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Chimera » November 17th, 2021, 5:08 pm

hover11 wrote:
Phone Surgeon wrote:If yuh wanna run the snakes get some strong black disinfectant and spray down the place heavy. It will run them
He was telling me it has something he could spray to kill them but I can't be home when that happens and I have to carry my dogs somewhere it that potent.....any particular brand or disinfectant to buy?
Daz what I dunno.
Plenty brands real watered down and have no scent.

hover11
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby hover11 » November 17th, 2021, 5:09 pm

timelapse wrote:Don't get a landscaper to clean out.Thats what pipers for.Dem fellas don't fraid snake
Well surprisingly this landscaper working with venes , cheap labour, so he charge me only 1100 to clear out is about 4 truck load of stuff

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”