Matthew called suicide hotline: No one answered. He killed himself

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

stikid09
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby stikid09 » March 16th, 2017, 9:59 pm

...Lifeline lacking resources for 24-hour operation

Before attempting suicide last week Friday, 24-year-old Matthew Levi Caesar called the suicide hotline desperate for help. No one answered, his family said.

Caesar went ahead and drank a poison. Caesar was found lying on a football field at the University of the West Indies, St Augustine. He died at the Eric Williams Medical Sciences Complex on Monday.

Speaking at his funeral service at Guides Funeral Home, San Fernando, on Thursday family friend Ramkishore Maharaj pleaded for the authorities to ensure that a 24-hour suicide hotline is made available to those in need.

“The hotline only operates from 8a.m. to 4p.m. and persons trying to access this service must pay for it. If we want to prevent tragedies like this from happening again, we should strive to ensure that this vital service can be made more readily accessible to those in desperate need of it. One of the greatest things you can give someone who is struggling, is understanding and a listening ear. If we want to change the world, let's start with making it easier for people to get help when they need it,” he said.

The Express telephoned the suicide hotline shortly before 4p.m and again at around 4.20p.m. No one answered.
Maharaj said he received a call from Caesar the night he drank the poison. Caesar thanked Maharaj for everything he had done for him. Caesar's cellphone was then switched off.
Caesar had sent a worrying voice note to his friends who immediately began searching for him. Maharaj said they checked the football fields first, as it was his first passion.

The former Naparima College, San Fernando, pupil faced many hardships, Maharaj said, but continued to be a shining example for anyone facing adversity.

“Matthew always had a plan. He loved board games because he always had a strategy and plan to win. People would say that the actual way to play the game was that you sit down for an hour and then Caesar wins. Someone once said that if you meet Matthew, you would always want to meet him again, but if you meet him on the football field, you never want to see him again. Football was one of Matthew's greatest passions. He was an integral member of a football team started by his friends as well as the engineering football team. He always carried his heart on the field,” he said.

Caesar worked at the Cocoyea Supermarket in San Fernando for some time before enrolling in the Faculty of Engineering at the University of the West Indies, St Augustine.

“While pursuing this vision of changing the world, he became plagued by thoughts of negativity, as he struggled to find solutions to our broken society. He started feeling like things would never change and that he was alone in his vision. He no longer felt like being a part of this broken system. He was strong but he was tired. He was once told that he can't change the world, and his response was that he would change the world one life at a time which is why today we want to encourage and continue this mentality, ” Maharaj said.

He described Caesar as brilliant, someone who always left one with something to think about.

LifeLine responds

LifeLine, a suicide hotline, has apologized to Caesar's family.
A representative told the Express, “Saying we are sorry can't really express how we feel that he didn't get through.”
But she lamented that the organisation lacked resources to operate efficiently.
LifeLine operators are available Monday to Friday between the hours 7.30am to 3.30pm and then from 6p.m to 6a.m.
On weekends, however, there is no one available to take calls until 6p.m.
“At this time we have limited resources and this is all we can do at this time. We are concerned about this, that we are not able to be here and take calls for 24 hours. We want to be here 24 hours, but we do not have the funding to do so,” she said.
The official said LifeLine operated solely on a Government subvention.
“We depend on volunteers. And we need more volunteers here now. We are appealing to people to come forward and join us,” she said.
Suicidal persons can call the hotline at 231-2824 on Monday to Friday between the hours 7.30am to 3.30pm, 220-3636 from 6pm to 6am.
Also, you can contact LifeLine at ttlifeline@gmail.com and on Facebook.

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/20170316 ... ed-himself

matix
Shifting into 6th

Re: Matthew called suicide hotline: No one answered. He killed himself

Postby matix » March 16th, 2017, 10:07 pm

Utter bs.

Morpheus
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Morpheus » March 16th, 2017, 10:18 pm

Total crap.

Will heads roll?

HSA
Riding on 17's

Postby HSA » March 16th, 2017, 10:27 pm

Pm on vacay so i guess lifeline hada wait

uncle sam
punchin NOS

Postby uncle sam » March 16th, 2017, 10:47 pm

if only these services were as efficient as the wrecking service in this country...
Seems as if we need to attach a hustle to every service to get performance..

Seems as if he had a brain like mine that goes a kazillion miles per sec...
It's hard to process the ways of the world; it gets depressing.. feels like you buried alive, literally, under your own thoughts..

I empathize with u young lad
RIP..

d.d.s.
Sweet on this forum

Postby d.d.s. » March 16th, 2017, 11:07 pm

Hmph. Sad yes.
Condolences to the family and friends.

*$kїđž!™
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *$kїđž!™ » March 16th, 2017, 11:53 pm

Poor boy....really sad story.....he must have had friends to call on.....so sad

shogun
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby shogun » March 17th, 2017, 12:19 am

Truly sad, especially when you read about the type of human being he was.

RIP Matthew.

silent_riot
punchin NOS

Postby silent_riot » March 17th, 2017, 9:19 am

RIP Matthew.
The irony is that his death highlights the issues he may have been trying to solve, and may force authorities to indeed solve them.
Thus he may eventually achieve one of his goals in death.

shotta 20
punchin NOS

Postby shotta 20 » March 17th, 2017, 10:08 am

Matthew simply wanted to kill himself, and he got through.

Don't see what the big deal is.

desifemlove
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby desifemlove » March 17th, 2017, 12:55 pm

So he had friends, and they didn't help him? I wonder how long he had been depressed? I think the UWI services need to be culpable too, do more screening for stuff like this.

Shame that he died, could have been prevented in many angles.

eurotuner
12 pounds of Boost

Postby eurotuner » March 17th, 2017, 2:17 pm

shotta 20 wrote:Matthew simply wanted to kill himself, and he got through.

Don't see what the big deal is.

MaxPower
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby MaxPower » March 17th, 2017, 2:55 pm

desifemlove wrote:So he had friends, and they didn't help him? I wonder how long he had been depressed? I think the UWI services need to be culpable too, do more screening for stuff like this.

You have no friends...so i understand your pain and anger on the forums both locally and internationally....no one helps you.

Im wondering what could be so terrible for Mathew to end his life. I mean, look at you for example...suffering trini fukk, no scope for financial growth...and a dead ass dickling...what future do u have for women?

Anyways...u have all this that you tote over everyday and you still able to walk george street.

1. I think you should do something good in your life and let others know how u battle depression.

2. Join Mathew

desifemlove

Postby desifemlove » March 17th, 2017, 3:26 pm

MaxPower wrote:
desifemlove wrote:So he had friends, and they didn't help him? I wonder how long he had been depressed? I think the UWI services need to be culpable too, do more screening for stuff like this.

You have no friends...so i understand your pain and anger on the forums both locally and internationally....no one helps you.

Im wondering what could be so terrible for Mathew to end his life. I mean, look at you for example...suffering trini fukk, no scope for financial growth...and a dead ass dickling...what future do u have for women?

Anyways...u have all this that you tote over everyday and you still able to walk george street.

1. I think you should do something good in your life and let others know how u battle depression.

2. Join Mathew

Nah, my fist in your face bro, and how you have no life haha. i'm not a Trini, nor live in Trini, but OK. Is the good you do saying uneducated sheit on capital punishment and political issues? are you actually educated on them?

toyolink
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby toyolink » March 17th, 2017, 5:47 pm

Mental and emotional well being of citizens are aspects of our existence which define the quality of life, yet these are universally not given the attention they deserve.
Many parents confront the fears which come with nurturing teenagers and young adults who are passionate and bright but just not ready to cope with the harsh realities of this 'life'.
How many young people comment to their parents at one time or the other ..'Best I kill myself oui!'
This young man is a casualty of the conditions which impose serious emotional pressures and are taken by the majority with simple apathy.
To believe suicide is a viable option is borne out of tremendous and powerful distortions of rational thinking.
RIP young-man.

desifemlove

Postby desifemlove » March 17th, 2017, 10:25 pm

I dont believe mental illness exists. But then don't UWI have counsellors? did his family get him to see a professional?

matr1x

Postby matr1x » March 17th, 2017, 10:40 pm

Sad to hear. The lifeline that the hotline was supposed to provide...didn't

brainchild
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby brainchild » March 17th, 2017, 11:12 pm

desifemlove wrote:I dont believe mental illness exists.

Explain

desifemlove

Postby desifemlove » March 17th, 2017, 11:15 pm

Explain what? It's just an opinion why must I explain?

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » March 17th, 2017, 11:18 pm

in defense of the hotline, they are manned by volunteers. u cant blame them for dropping a ball that they weren't obligated to uphold.

the guy sounds like one of those troubled geniuses, who couldn't reign in is own mind. he may have actually needed professional attention. not that he was totally nuts, but he needed attention from someone who is skilled enough to pull him back from going off into the abyss.

we potentially, lost a good one.

but, how can u justify a public psychological health program, when u cant get aspirin and paving roads working right.

brainchild
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby brainchild » March 17th, 2017, 11:20 pm

desifemlove wrote:Explain what? It's just an opinion why must I explain?

Because sometimes I like understanding how different people come to have certain opinions/viewpoints.

desifemlove

Postby desifemlove » March 17th, 2017, 11:26 pm

Then possibly you have some asperges since I don't need to.

EFFECTIC DESIGNS
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby EFFECTIC DESIGNS » March 18th, 2017, 2:17 am

What I don't understand is how isn't this number toll free and how on earth is their opening hours the same as WASA?

So if you have to commit suicide it is best to do it between the hours of 8AM and 4PM Mon-Fri, buy a phone card and hope someone bothers to get off facebook or reddit and answer the phone....

We really living in a Banana Republic yes.

j.o.e

Postby j.o.e » March 18th, 2017, 3:07 am

Wtmc y'all don't get by it's a volunteer hotline? I'm sure they wish they could do better and have more resources etc. Maybe this will highlight their plight and corporate T&T can funnel some funding

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » March 18th, 2017, 6:45 am

It's the wrong ppl employed at the hotline. The entire trini work force is not suited for work

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » March 18th, 2017, 7:33 am

Blaming a volunteer suicide hotline won't make it better for the next person. In fact, what exactly was a hotline going to do for a person who was so determined to commit suicide? These things build up over years, one phone call wasn't going to stop it. He had already made the decision and wanted to do it. It would take many sessions with doctors and other health care providers to help, but in the end only you can many those decisions for yourself.

There's nothing to be won here by pointing fingers at some hotline and then "yeah that's how Trinidad is, what else to expect!" There should be better support and guidance for young men in our society and all that, but in the end you are in charge of your life and it's your own decisions that put you in situations like that. Some of us are lead to believe we have no choice in the way our lives go. But we always do, and that is the kind of message and support our boys need. In the end it's all quite unfortunate and sad, and I hope his family can understand his decision to end his chronic pain.

desifemlove

Postby desifemlove » March 18th, 2017, 7:46 am

maj. tom wrote:Blaming a volunteer suicide hotline won't make it better for the next person. In fact, what exactly was a hotline going to do for a person who was so determined to commit suicide? These things build up over years, one phone call wasn't going to stop it. He had already made the decision and wanted to do it. It would take many sessions with doctors and other health care providers to help, but in the end only you can many those decisions for yourself.

There's nothing to be won here by pointing fingers at some hotline and then "yeah that's how Trinidad is, what else to expect!" There should be better support and guidance for young men in our society and all that, but in the end you are in charge of your life and it's your own decisions that put you in situations like that. Some of us are lead to believe we have no choice in the way our lives go. But we always do, and that is the kind of message and support our boys need. In the end it's all quite unfortunate and sad, and I hope his family can understand his decision to end his chronic pain.

you need psychiatric treatment ent?

desifemlove

Postby desifemlove » March 18th, 2017, 7:50 am

brainchild wrote:
desifemlove wrote:I dont believe mental illness exists.

Explain

Because it's pretty fabricated as a science. It is value-based, anybody who isn't "normal" by some med's standards of the term is thus deemed. The profession says it is about wellbeing and distress, I doubt that it;s pretty inane and should be banned universally forever.

brainchild
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby brainchild » March 18th, 2017, 8:12 am

Understood, however I believe if you worked or lived around someone with a mental illness for an extended period you would gain some appreciation for the science. It's not always spot on, but it does help many people.

desifemlove

Postby desifemlove » March 18th, 2017, 8:28 am

nah, it's all a nonsense field.

who is mentally "unwell"? a vagrant in town who shouts at air? or a politician who says s/he cares for the people, but does lot of underhanded sheit?

It's pretty subjective. are you mentally normal? am I? is everybody on this thread? by what standard? some may say you aren't, I am not, or others aren't. it's all based on relative criteria.

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”