Forums

Unemployment Count Thread

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

daring dragoon
18 pounds of Boost

Re: Unemployment Count Thread

Postby daring dragoon » June 15th, 2022, 10:53 am

Losing your job ranks among the 10 most stressful life events on the Holmes-Rahe Stress Inventory, a scale used to estimate people’s vulnerability to major health breakdowns.

It should be no surprise that layoffs can cause deep harm to the people who experience them. It’s not just because of the financial hardships that are involved with losing one’s job, although 78% of Americans live paycheck to paycheck. It’s not just because of the difficulty of finding a new job, although research shows it’s significantly harder to get hired when you’re unemployed, and only becomes more difficult the longer you’re out of work. It’s also because, in a society that teaches us to base much of our identity and self-worth on our jobs, a layoff—which usually has little to do with one’s performance at work—can destroy an individual’s self-confidence for years to come, with devastating effects on their mental health and the long-term course of their careers.

Here are five emotional stages of Grief by the Kubler-Ross model associated with the process of retrenchment

Stage1; Shock – Employees feel disbelief and expect their employers to change their mind or admit they have made a mistake.

Stage2; Anger- Individuals dealing with turmoil can be angry with themselves or with others. This anger could also be towards the company letting go of them or the employees they think should be let go instead.

Stage 3; Depression- It is natural to feel sadness, regret, fear, uncertainty as it shows that as an individual you have started to accept reality. This follows once the anger has subsided which goes hand in hand with low self-esteem and lack of energy. It is pivotal that individuals remember their sense of worth and future opportunities to pursue. Depression is a serious condition that needs medical help once individuals feel overwhelmed.

Stage 4; Guilt- It is important to not blame yourself as this creates distance between the individual and people they need the most.

Stage 5; Acceptance &Relief – Individuals may feel relieved after the uncertainty of retrenchment. This is a liberating stage with the knowledge that they will eventually feel positive again.

with hundreds or thousands losing their jobs we will all be affected.
Last edited by daring dragoon on June 15th, 2022, 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » June 15th, 2022, 11:20 am

daring dragoon wrote:it doesnt matter what the product is. use your common sense. 108 families affected, they might not be able to buy food with the increases in prices and their lively hood taken away. 400+ was fired from same company years ago and people still buy unilever products. school will reopen in sept and 108 families dont know at this point where their next paycheck coming from.
so go ahead an do as with everyone does and study themselves and dont care about anyone by still supporting whatever univever is selling in TT. i personally stop buying any unilever product years ago. AS Bryden sold the business to SEPROD LTD from jamaica with no staff lost their job as far as i know. so i will continue to buy whatever product they sell that i use.

Just keep posting.

daring dragoon
18 pounds of Boost

Postby daring dragoon » June 15th, 2022, 12:28 pm

the world is round my friends. what goes around comes around. just wait till it happens to you, your children, your relatives and when you get depressed lanate or 1 yard of rope will end your depression.
wasa next, then TTEC and the sheit keep rolling downhill from there.

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » June 15th, 2022, 1:23 pm

daring dragoon wrote:the world is round my friends. what goes around comes around. just wait till it happens to you, your children, your relatives and when you get depressed lanate or 1 yard of rope will end your depression.

If you think that 3 feet of rope is enough to hang yourself, then I'm wrong. You're not dumb. you're really, really dumb.

Ben_spanna
punchin NOS

Postby Ben_spanna » June 15th, 2022, 1:57 pm

adnj wrote:
daring dragoon wrote:the world is round my friends. what goes around comes around. just wait till it happens to you, your children, your relatives and when you get depressed lanate or 1 yard of rope will end your depression.

If you think that 3 feet of rope is enough to hang yourself, then I'm wrong. You're not dumb. you're really, really dumb.

Remember to thank your RED gubbment for all the trajedy, crime and disrespect that is now the norm.

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » June 15th, 2022, 2:44 pm

Ben_spanna wrote:
adnj wrote:

Remember to thank your RED gubbment for all the trajedy, crime and disrespect that is now the norm.

3 feet of rope has nothing to do with politics. LOL

daring dragoon
18 pounds of Boost

Postby daring dragoon » June 15th, 2022, 5:19 pm

adnj wrote:

you is one kant. over an over i have to say that. an this time i literally mean a kant or a skunt if you from guyana.

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » June 15th, 2022, 6:29 pm

daring dragoon wrote:
adnj wrote:

you is one kant. over an over i have to say that. an this time i literally mean a kant or a skunt if you from guyana.

Why? Because you keep posting the dumbest shitt in the world? You can't understand that you can't tie a knot around a pipe AND THEN tie a knot around your neck with just 3 feet of rope?

Consider me calling you stupid as a compliment. LOL!!

daring dragoon
18 pounds of Boost

Postby daring dragoon » June 15th, 2022, 7:34 pm

Brainy-Quote-Doris-Lessing-002.jpg

hahaha. idiot.

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » June 17th, 2022, 6:24 pm

Wow, man gone off on the measurement of a piece of rope.

He prolly frighten cause he ain't got to tkee his 5th covee booster and seeing the mssklesness at the recent fetes.

His britches are in a tingle.

redmanjp
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby redmanjp » June 17th, 2022, 9:21 pm

real ppl want to wuk on cruise ship. a man say he reach 5am and he reach too late. ppl camp out whole night.

Numb3r4
Shifting into 6th

Postby Numb3r4 » June 17th, 2022, 11:58 pm

To continue the point above, some journeyed from as far as Arouca to San Fernando when they didn't get through at Port of Spain.

However many said the while initially the San Fernando point was overwhelmed, I believe they had a second day and it was better and the online registration went well.

AlphaMan
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby AlphaMan » July 16th, 2022, 12:27 pm

Thousands applied but only a few hundreds got through....
maths not mathsing

https://guardian.co.tt/business/hundreds-get-jobs-with-royal-caribbean-cruise-line-6.2.1518975.320f69a4ba

sleepertercel
Trinituner Peong

Postby sleepertercel » July 16th, 2022, 12:30 pm

AlphaMan wrote:Thousands applied but only a few hundreds got through....
maths not mathsing

https://guardian.co.tt/business/hundreds-get-jobs-with-royal-caribbean-cruise-line-6.2.1518975.320f69a4ba

You get a 5 in maths nah?

AlphaMan
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby AlphaMan » July 16th, 2022, 12:37 pm

sleepertercel wrote:
maths not mathsing

Nope.
Grade 1
All A profiles. :drinking:

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » July 16th, 2022, 12:54 pm

Could someone explain more about the Royal Caribbean jobs that were filled by the 602 TT nationals in terms of NIS, HS, PAYE, VISA's, Bank Account etc?

So there are Trinbago nationals employed at a Cruise Line that was incorporated in Liberia, West Africa and has its offices based in Miami, FL. Research shows that the reasons for incorporation in Liberia are to evade US income taxes, wage and labour laws etc.

So what does this mean for working conditions, remuneration and regulatory compliance etc?

Is it truly a situation where all 602 of them GT? I know for sure which is not subject to debate that the work experience will do well for their resumes but I'm just curious as to if the workers themselves would be treated fairly.

And so, are they required to maintain home accounts at local banks? I assume they will be paid in USD which our local banks will love to get and happily exchange for the TTD equivalent.

What about for those countries that require VISA's for TT Passport holders? I'm assuming RC will organize these things easily?

Finally what about vacation time. If an employee wishes to return to TT for their vacation, who pays that ticket? Air travel is not cheap!

These are some of the questions I have and yes, I know very little of this industry, so any information would be appreciated from those who know, thanks.

hover11
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby hover11 » July 16th, 2022, 12:59 pm

agent007 wrote:Could someone explain more about the Royal Caribbean jobs that were filled by the 602 TT nationals in terms of NIS, HS, PAYE, VISA's, Bank Account etc?

So there are Trinbago nationals employed at a Cruise Line that was incorporated in Liberia, West Africa and has its offices based in Miami, FL. Research shows that the reasons for incorporation in Liberia are to evade US income taxes, wage and labour laws etc.

So what does this mean for working conditions, remuneration and regulatory compliance etc?

Is it truly a situation where all 602 of them GT? I know for sure which is not subject to debate that the work experience will do well for their resumes but I'm just curious as to if the workers themselves would be treated fairly.

And so, are they required to maintain home accounts at local banks? I assume they will be paid in USD which our local banks will love to get and happily exchange for the TTD equivalent.

What about for those countries that require VISA's for TT Passport holders? I'm assuming RC will organize these things easily?

Finally what about vacation time. If an employee wishes to return to TT for their vacation, who pays that ticket? Air travel is not cheap!

These are some of the questions I have and yes, I know very little of this industry, so any information would be appreciated from those who know, thanks.
You really think royal Caribbean coming to remit payments for NIS or Income tax every month lol they way they see it they got cheap labour and government looks good. Citizens make US. Win win I guess

S_2NR
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby S_2NR » July 16th, 2022, 1:35 pm

AlphaMan wrote:
sleepertercel wrote:
maths not mathsing

Nope.
Grade 1
All A profiles. :drinking:

men boasting about distinction in CXC maths now

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » July 17th, 2022, 2:02 am

agent007 wrote:Could someone explain more about the Royal Caribbean jobs that were filled by the 602 TT nationals in terms of NIS, HS, PAYE, VISA's, Bank Account etc?

You get outbound and inbound airfare for your contract only.

Employment rules are based on the company's country, the ship's flagged country and maritime law.

Employee visas are the responsibility of the employee and many employees are working onboard ship while docked and do not leave.

Employees will collect the salary at the contracted interval from the ship's purser. In the absence of a transferable bank account, employees may be paid in cash or certified check.

daring dragoon
18 pounds of Boost

Postby daring dragoon » July 17th, 2022, 5:02 am

Google wukin.

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » July 17th, 2022, 7:33 am

adnj,

"Employee visas are the responsibility of the employee and many employees are working onboard ship while docked and do not leave."

Well, based on the above captioned, it doesn't look like some will get to "see the world" as was reported in the newspaper article. We all know that seeing the world from a port vs seeing the world as in actually experiencing the country are two completely different things.

Then there's the issue of cabin sharing etc. I expect some persons to quit within the first few weeks/months. For the 5,398 applicants with resumes still on file, hold a strain, alluh might get a call before the year is out.

Btw: I looked at a YT vlogger who posted his salary info and it was $2,790. a month and this did not include tips. Tips can take you to $3k and more for monthly gross.

The bank will buy it from your USD account at a rate of 6.6059 or $19,817.70 TTD /month gross.

If 142,000 to 185,000 employed people in T&T make more than $6,000. /month then at almost $20k a month, ship crew automatically falls within an elite income earning group of approximately 50,000 people who possibly make between 15-20k a month and more.

No wonder why 6000 of them rushed to apply for the jobs. That's like unemployed last month but next month you collecting an Assistant Manager in a local bank pay. Nice!

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » July 17th, 2022, 1:32 pm

^^ Everyone starting will have a visa for the country for the port of embarkation/disembarkation. It is also possible to disembark from a different port if you have the necessary paperwork. That's at least one free visit before and after the contract.

Only a few countries tax international earnings so their salary is tax-free, also. Your room and board is also included.

Not everyone is able to live and work in maritime or military service - they'll figure it out pretty quickly.

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » July 17th, 2022, 1:41 pm

Wow, tax free? Then that is the equivalent of what, $25k TTD a month gross with no deductions for PAYE, HS and NIS? That is on the levels of a Secondary School Principal or Manager in a bank.

That range is in the top 10% monthly income earning bracket for employed persons locally.

Not bad at all! I'm happy for them

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » July 17th, 2022, 2:02 pm

Add another $5000 per month in pretax avoided expenses for room and board.

Mmoney607
30 pounds of Boost

Postby Mmoney607 » July 17th, 2022, 2:12 pm

adnj wrote:Add another $5000 per month in pretax avoided expenses for room and board.

You working there or what?

AlphaMan
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby AlphaMan » July 17th, 2022, 2:13 pm

agent007 wrote:Wow, tax free? Then that is the equivalent of what, $25k TTD a month gross with no deductions for PAYE, HS and NIS? That is on the levels of a Secondary School Principal or Manager in a bank.

That range is in the top 10% monthly income earning bracket for employed persons locally.

Secondary school principal ain't making more than 17k

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » July 17th, 2022, 2:50 pm

I'm flawed!!
adnj wrote:Add another $5000 per month in pretax avoided expenses for room and board.

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » July 17th, 2022, 2:56 pm

AlphaMan wrote:
agent007 wrote:Wow, tax free? Then that is the equivalent of what, $25k TTD a month gross with no deductions for PAYE, HS and NIS? That is on the levels of a Secondary School Principal or Manager in a bank.

Secondary school principal ain't making more than 17k
It depends on how many years the Principal has in the teaching service. One on the verge of retirement with 33.3 years of service will be clocking in at the very minimum, 22-25k a month.

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » July 17th, 2022, 3:06 pm

agent007 wrote:I'm flawed!!

It works out to about TT$30k/month to start.

Even if you're working below decks for 70 hours per week washing dishes and mopping floors, you will get paid about US$12/hr. That's the equivalent of 1.5× the US minimum wage (US$7.75/hr) plus an overtime bonus of time-and-a-half.
Last edited by adnj on July 17th, 2022, 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » July 17th, 2022, 3:15 pm

Wait it have OT too? If I was free single and disengaged, I would have tried my hand, but I never went to TTHTI so salt. Dem young people really got a good opportunity boi. Let's hope they don't blow it cause the customer service skills here are sadly extremely disappointing.

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”