Forums

The DIY CCTV camera system thread

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

matix
Shifting into 6th

Re: The DIY CCTV camera system thread

Postby matix » April 22nd, 2022, 10:34 pm

supercharged turbo wrote:Where can I get a power supply with this tip?Everywhere I look so far don't have it
20220422_134230.jpg

Amperage?

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 88sins » April 23rd, 2022, 5:11 am

pugboy wrote:what height allyuh mounting allyuh cameras ?

About 7-8' off the ground. Just high enough to be out of reach, but low enough to be seen and to be able to make out faces clearly (not pointing at a steep downward angle).

Cameras are NOT an effective deterrent, they are ideally for you to be able to see and show what happened and who/what was in your place.
You want a good deterrent for when you not home? Get yourself a good dog, and train him properly ( foundation obedience, bitework, poison proofing, etc). It's best if people in the area can actually see him being trained, especially for the bite work and poison proofing. Word will get around that poisoning him won't work, and that he will use an intruder nut sack as a chew toy if they enter your property.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » April 23rd, 2022, 6:22 am

sure right, cctv is ZERO deterrent, its only for after the fact
bandits come with full intention to take the dvr.

my parents were brutally robbed at home the other day and I have full suite of cameras incl at the right height
and many large signs indicating cctv and alarm(was off)
them bandits wear caps and dark clothing, coupled with dark skin makes for very difficult colour contrast

part of why they got beaten was because they couldnt find the dvr.
good thing I also had wifi cloud cameras in case they took the dvr.

Dogs can be chopped as happened in glencoe last year.

A good old school alarm with phone alert incl window and perimeter infrared or beams is still the best option.

88sins wrote:About 7-8' off the ground. Just high enough to be out of reach, but low enough to be seen and to be able to make out faces clearly (not pointing at a steep downward angle).

Cameras are NOT an effective deterrent, they are ideally for you to be able to see and show what happened and who/what was in your place.
You want a good deterrent for when you not home? Get yourself a good dog, and train him properly ( foundation obedience, bitework, poison proofing, etc). It's best if people in the area can actually see him being trained, especially for the bite work and poison proofing. Word will get around that poisoning him won't work, and that he will use an intruder nut sack as a chew toy if they enter your property.

supercharged turbo
punchin NOS

Postby supercharged turbo » April 23rd, 2022, 10:11 am

matix wrote:
supercharged turbo wrote:Where can I get a power supply with this tip?Everywhere I look so far don't have it
20220422_134230.jpg

Amperage?
5 amps

Chimera
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Chimera » April 23rd, 2022, 10:26 am

that tip might be hard to find

buy a new 5 amp power supply and cut off that tip and join it to the new one

Chimera
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Chimera » April 23rd, 2022, 10:29 am

having a armed security company response is one of the best options

better the bandits rob your neighbor who have no deterrent than you.

because if they wanna come for yuh they will come, you just hadda try to make it as least likely as possible.

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 88sins » April 23rd, 2022, 12:01 pm

@pugboy
Not saying k9's make your premises impervious to home invasion, but they are a in fact a very efficient and effective deterrent. Particularly when you have more than one good one on the property.
Some 15 years ago, when I bought my property and recently moved in, a man passed by and said to me "redman, yuh dem dog cyah save yuh". I had 6 rotties in the yard at that time. My response was simply. "dem dog is d least of your problems, but I have room for you in the freezer". The people around used to see me hand feeding raw meat. He figured out where that was going real quick. That said, I have only ever had one incident with a person in my place coming to steal when most of the dogs lock up and one tied. The one that tied buss the chain and sort him out. Poor spranger, come for chennet, leave missing parts, without chennet

But I digress.
Anyway, I am yet to see a scenario in this country where irl a bandit, armed or not, with others or not, willing to run up in a yard with 3-4 man-stoppers that he know waiting patiently to eat his carcass.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » April 23rd, 2022, 12:37 pm

that’s what all the 1% have
but you still need to vigilant when your alarm is off etc

Phone Surgeon wrote:having a armed security company response is one of the best options

better the bandits rob your neighbor who have no deterrent than you.

because if they wanna come for yuh they will come, you just hadda try to make it as least likely as possible.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » April 23rd, 2022, 1:22 pm

yeah, you need a pack because as mentioned if they targeting your place, they targeting you with a plan.

one dog certainly aint enough against 4-5 armed bandits

at the end of the day if its not worthwhile to them they will choose another target.

by my parents, the bandits came determined to break in, doubt was to do human robbery as they were not armed at all
they came with several hacksaws and 3 scissor jacks

88sins wrote:@pugboy
Not saying k9's make your premises impervious to home invasion, but they are a in fact a very efficient and effective deterrent. Particularly when you have more than one good one on the property.
Some 15 years ago, when I bought my property and recently moved in, a man passed by and said to me "redman, yuh dem dog cyah save yuh". I had 6 rotties in the yard at that time. My response was simply. "dem dog is d least of your problems, but I have room for you in the freezer". The people around used to see me hand feeding raw meat. He figured out where that was going real quick. That said, I have only ever had one incident with a person in my place coming to steal when most of the dogs lock up and one tied. The one that tied buss the chain and sort him out. Poor spranger, come for chennet, leave missing parts, without chennet

But I digress.
Anyway, I am yet to see a scenario in this country where irl a bandit, armed or not, with others or not, willing to run up in a yard with 3-4 man-stoppers that he know waiting patiently to eat his carcass.

Kenjo
punchin NOS

Postby Kenjo » April 23rd, 2022, 4:54 pm

pugboy wrote:yeah, you need a pack because as mentioned if they targeting your place, they targeting you with a plan.

one dog certainly aint enough against 4-5 armed bandits

at the end of the day if its not worthwhile to them they will choose another target.

by my parents, the bandits came determined to break in, doubt was to do human robbery as they were not armed at all
they came with several hacksaws and 3 scissor jacks

88sins wrote:@pugboy

But I digress.

The scissors jacks are notoriously known for when they are prying burglar proofing

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » April 23rd, 2022, 5:41 pm

yeah scissor jacks and crescent wrench against french windows with flat bars

they brought 3 jacks of different heights

only one was able to fit as most of ours are too narrow
but it failed against the design of our 3/4” steel

Blaze d Chalice
Riding on 17's

Postby Blaze d Chalice » April 23rd, 2022, 6:33 pm

Tropical charged me 1175TT to clear a 275US DVR some months ago.

They didn't charge for the cameras.

And you could buy 500ft or 1000ft roll of Cat5/6 cable.

Most of those cheaper cables (local and amazon) are CCA (Copper clad aluminium)
While that should still work for most people, I went ahead and got Cat6 and Pure Copper because some cameras are up tp 300ft away from the DVR. More expensive though. I think the total cost in hand was like 200US for 1000ft roll.

Another 2 things you should look at is Cloud storage, and a small discreet (hidden or disguised) indoor camera.
Google use to offer up to 10TB/month by request. I think the 'normal' largest was 5TB.
I don't know if they still have this.
Quamie tends to smash/steal the DVR when he enters your house.
Never an attempt to disable or delete. (I don't think they know how to)
With cloud storage, Quamie could rob/rape/kidnap/kill you he will still be on "Flim"

Last time I end up with almost 4000USD in hand and I hook up a tiny camera to the curtain rod incase Quamie come in my bedroom to rob/rape.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » April 23rd, 2022, 6:47 pm

you lucky
customs normally hit you full wood once the cctv is not packaged as a complete state

quamie didn’t relayed wyze cams have memory card built in plus cloud events
they just unplugged them

matix
Shifting into 6th

Postby matix » April 23rd, 2022, 6:52 pm

pugboy wrote:yeah scissor jacks and crescent wrench against french windows with flat bars

they brought 3 jacks of different heights

only one was able to fit as most of ours are too narrow
but it failed against the design of our 3/4” steel

Share the design nah

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 88sins » April 23rd, 2022, 7:08 pm

Besides the option of cloud storage, a hidden camera inside the house is a real good thing to have, and not only for catching bandits in the act.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » April 23rd, 2022, 7:29 pm

it’s nothing fancy, just that the long verticals should not be long to allow plenty flex AND the cross pieces are best if in between on the same level as other steel, it it’s laid above it’s easier to break, if it’s in between it’s much much harder to flex because the bars simply push the entire frame.

i subsequently put a cross bar right across the attempted area.
27000186-917D-4EBA-B1B2-35FF187C233B.jpeg

matix wrote:
Share the design nah

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » April 23rd, 2022, 9:27 pm

Hey guys, please permit me to mention that we have a Lorex 16ch DVR with 13 1080p cameras (6 bullet, 6 dome and 1 ptz) for sale. The DVR like it no longer recognizes the mouse and the remote viewing capability is down.

When the DVR boots up, ALL cameras show fine but like I mentioned, there's no mouse or remote viewing capability...which is weird.

For security reasons, I will be removing the supplied Western Digital 3TB HDD and will be swapping it with an exact OEM brand new replacement to whosoever wishes to purchase this system.

This is the entire system parts summary below:

1 16 channel 1080p DVR
1 brand new never used WD 3TB HDD (still in box)
1 mouse
6 bullet cameras
6 dome cameras
1 ptz camera
13 lengths of cable

Upon request, I'm also willing to print the original Lorex proof of purchase for the complete system as well as the Amazon proof of purchase for the hard disk.

It will take 1 day or 2 to dismantle the complete system, so when I do get chance, I shall get someone (open to private offers if anyone wants a small pj) to do this for me. When dismantled, I will take pics and place in the classifieds section of this forum.

In the meanwhile, if this is something you would want for parts or to tinker with, pm me privately, thanks.

Blaze d Chalice
Riding on 17's

Postby Blaze d Chalice » April 24th, 2022, 12:10 am

But wait nah G, if the mouse not working and no remote viewing, how you operating that?
The only way of setting it up is with the mouse.
Your DVR have 2 usb ports?
Did you try both ports (if it have) and another mouse?

Also I don't know if this goes for all brands, but when I was choosing, I read that others like Reolink and Amcrest (not sure bout Lorex) do not let you use their branded cameras with other DVR and vice versa.

The best I could advise is to maybe buy a next 16ch DVR or 2x8ch and reuse the cameras.

1080p is a hard sale these days.

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » April 24th, 2022, 3:54 am

You are right....if anyone wanted it for certain parts/components then that's the only way someone would take this system off my hands. Looking at viable alternatives right now (no Hikvision at all).

shake d livin wake d dead
TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » April 24th, 2022, 11:17 am

Morning fellas, in the market for an 8ch IP set up. Direct me accordingly please. 1 dude told me 10k for a Sony system. Shrugs shoulders

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » April 24th, 2022, 12:03 pm

^^Lorex N4K2-88BB-1 8-channel Fusion NVR System with 4K (8MP) IP Cameras and 2TB HDD - $749.99 USD on their website.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » April 24th, 2022, 1:03 pm

if you can choose your own cameras it is better
most of those package deals have cameras with very wide angle
once subject is not close to camera only the centre part is clear.
you would tend to want better all around focus for certain areas

Blaze d Chalice
Riding on 17's

Postby Blaze d Chalice » April 24th, 2022, 1:52 pm

agent007 wrote:Looking at viable alternatives right now (no Hikvision at all).

any reason for this?
I know USA passed some bill last year banning Hikvision and Dahua but I buy it from ebay with no problems.
Only the DVR though, the cameras are not Hikvision, but was listed as Hikvision compatible.

shake d livin wake d dead wrote:Morning fellas, in the market for an 8ch IP set up. Direct me accordingly please. 1 dude told me 10k for a Sony system. Shrugs shoulders

Kinda steep price but I don't know the price of those cameras/systems.
For 10K I might think you would have gotten more than 4 cameras.

It cost me about $1300US for
8-4K cameras,
1-16ch dvr,
1000ft cable/crimper/RJ-45 plugs and 2x4TB hard drive, cable loom.
(only thing customs charge me excess for was the DVR) so about 1450US?

Labor not included. I just cut and crimp and choose location and the Venez tenants do the rest for free.

I did buy additional cameras/Hard drive and cable after but that is because the layout of the building and we wanted more.

I didn't really bother with much trunking as I run it through the attic/crawl space whatever you call it.
Used the cable loom just in case some rat ever reach up there.

I would also advise that you get something with tech like the "Darkfighter" or "ColorVu"
so you can identify Quamie clothes in the dark, if he face cover like Scorpion.

Some of the All-in-one systems have it or some variation so you don't specifically have to choose Hikvision.

Most of the cameras I buy was PanoEagle which is listed as "Hikvision compatible"
These cameras have additional features, but the only way to access it is through HikVision SADP (pc program)

You can even get a very good 4K PTZ with high optical zoom for around 250usd.

summary - things to look out for:
4K/8MP resolution (same thing) - you wouldn't necessarily have to install close to the ground.
Low-light tech - see Quamie and Raj in the dark .
H.265/H.265+ recording - saves a lot of space while recording with same quality.

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » April 24th, 2022, 1:57 pm

majority of ppl using hikvision, never really heard anybody complain about it

EPCOM brand works well too

be wary of cctv installers talking like in all other trades "professional neat install" & "is rel jobs i do all over & i doing this 10-20yrs now"

i watching a sponsored ad on fb now i eh no cctv installer but common sense me noticing pvc boxes covers overlapping resting on top d other box next to it with gypsum screws, u cud see d pvc boxes cockup 1 side against d ceiling flat surface like when d screw went thru d box cause it to raise up tilted, cams not screwed flat on d pvc box covers - that cockup too, pipes & pipe clamps cud be better positioned ...

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » April 24th, 2022, 2:09 pm

hik vision need to to promo vids with quamie dressed in black with a cap pulled low and in bright sunlight which does cause color extremes so shadow looking real black and light colour ed stuff blown out white

Blaze d Chalice
Riding on 17's

Postby Blaze d Chalice » April 24th, 2022, 2:54 pm

Rovin wrote:be wary of cctv installers talking like in all other trades "professional neat install" & "is rel jobs i do all over & i doing this 10-20yrs now"

i watching a sponsored ad on fb now i eh no cctv installer but common sense me noticing pvc boxes covers overlapping resting on top d other box next to it with gypsum screws, u cud see d pvc boxes cockup 1 side against d ceiling flat surface like when d screw went thru d box cause it to raise up tilted, cams not screwed flat on d pvc box covers - that cockup too, pipes & pipe clamps cud be better positioned ...

Last year we got robbed one night over 300K during curfew hours and police did everything they could, to make sure the roaches got away.
We didn't have any cameras at that part because it was a fairly lit busy area.

Anyway, I let a known person put up 4 cameras for me, but he sent some young fellas to do it, and while the system is working, I find the work itself was poor.
Same thing you saying - I tell them don't buss the walls inside, it have real space in the roof, and it already have a hole cut in the gypsum where some electrical work take place. Them buss wall and crack it up. Screw falling out from the PVC cover 1 week later. Trunking that they run on the inside of the building (and not in the roof) have nail falling out and the thing "henging"

That is why I prefer to do it myself.

Kenjo
punchin NOS

Postby Kenjo » April 24th, 2022, 3:28 pm

Is there a standardized price for installations besides cost of trunking etc ?for labour

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » April 24th, 2022, 3:53 pm

good luck

Kenjo wrote:Is there a standardized price for installations besides cost of trunking etc ?for labour

Blaze d Chalice
Riding on 17's

Postby Blaze d Chalice » April 24th, 2022, 6:28 pm

This is all you really need to know. (assuming you going with IP and not analog/bnc)

Kenjo
punchin NOS

Postby Kenjo » April 24th, 2022, 7:09 pm

Blaze d Chalice wrote:This is all you really need to know. (assuming you going with IP and not analog/bnc)

And buy a crimper ?

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”