IMG_20200123_174255.jpeg
IMG_20200123_174251.jpeg
IMG_20200123_174246.jpeg

dougla_boy
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: Calling all air gun enthusiasts

Postby dougla_boy » January 23rd, 2020, 5:57 pm

Just have the stock to clean and spray paint, and it should almost be newish

Now the only reason I took it was because i for it for small money and after chatting with sins, I realize it was salvageable, so I went ahead

It shoots straight, enjoy it a lot.

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 88sins » January 23rd, 2020, 6:17 pm

lovely work bro, well done. see how easy & cheap it was to diy?
with a proper care that little 70 gonna perform well for years to come.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » January 23rd, 2020, 6:22 pm

looks great
u used a bluing chemical on the cleaned rust spots ?

dougla_boy
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby dougla_boy » January 23rd, 2020, 9:07 pm

Bluing chemical, pass ah medium kinda grade of sandpaper then smoothen it out with ah fine grade and then blue it up

Just the stock to do, ah lil cleaning and spray paint, should be excellent after that, just to learn to shoot now!
pugboy wrote:looks great
u used a bluing chemical on the cleaned rust spots ?
1579827887179~2.jpeg

dougla_boy
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby dougla_boy » January 23rd, 2020, 9:07 pm

Yup! Wasn't expensive at all! And the gun shoots good, the few shots I offload with it, wasn't bad at all, it's awesome sheit bruh
88sins wrote:lovely work bro, well done. see how easy & cheap it was to diy?
with a proper care that little 70 gonna perform well for years to come.

bossmann
Trinituner Peong

Postby bossmann » January 23rd, 2020, 11:51 pm

Got the Blue locally?

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » January 24th, 2020, 5:04 am

I’ve seen it at peakes

bossmann wrote:Got the Blue locally?

dougla_boy
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby dougla_boy » January 24th, 2020, 6:28 am

I didn't know where to get it, so I bought it online....
bossmann wrote:Got the Blue locally?

streetbeastINC.
punchin NOS

Postby streetbeastINC. » February 20th, 2020, 10:44 pm

streetbeastINC. wrote:Fs break barrel Gamo socom, fired 5 times
2500. Paid 5500.
Bought at A E tact.

For anyone i know can work out a payment plan.

Trades accepted for anything i can use, auto parts accessories etc.

MUst Have permit.
No permit no sale

316--0908
284-1895

TRADES ACCEPTED FOR ANYTHING I CAN USE.....NEED TO GET RID OF THIS....2500 is a great price,

Firewall
Riding on 16's

Postby Firewall » April 25th, 2020, 10:44 am

Hey, so im looking to get back another air rifle soon.

I previously had the hatsan gladius from buckshots. I double fed it a couple of times (which is not supposed to happen because of the anti double feed mechanism)

Im not sure if its because the local ones come with fewer features, or the hatsan feature was poorly implemented.

The gladius was otherwise imo fantastic except for the weight.

Did anybody experience anything similar?

And also, if anybody is selling, or has any idea of what is out there presently. I dont mind either bullpup or long gun.

Buckshots has/had the at44pa, gladius, and bt65. (may not want to buy if the come with less features)

Triniak47
Ricer

Postby Triniak47 » April 25th, 2020, 11:50 am

Firewall wrote:Hey, so im looking to get back another air rifle soon.

I previously had the hatsan gladius from buckshots. I double fed it a couple of times (which is not supposed to happen because of the anti double feed mechanism)

Im not sure if its because the local ones come with fewer features, or the hatsan feature was poorly implemented.

And also, if anybody is selling, or has any idea of what is out there presently. I dont mind either bullpup or long gun.

Buckshots has/had the at44pa, gladius, and bt65. (may not want to buy if the come with less features)

Check out https://www.centrefirett.com/

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 88sins » April 25th, 2020, 12:21 pm

Son, with all this talk about features, you looking to get a shooting platform or you buying a car?
Either way, take my advice, start with the basics. Specifically, what do you want to do with an air rifle and what you expect it to be able to do, then look at simplicity/complexity of build and reliability of function and ease/difficulty to repair or maintain, and move on to weight and ergonomics and aesthetics last.
So say for example you want a rifle for hunting or general plinking, that's powerful or can be made to shoot at a particular level, is accurate, gives you at least 30 shots per fill, is reliable and durable, etc. price of the unit, cost of parts, and choose from what's available best suiting your needs from there.

The hatsan anti double feed system actually works quite well, never had one that didn't perform as it should. Most times when it fails is attributable to user error, not cycling the lever or bolt all the way back till the sear engages properly.
Don't rule out the hatsans, they are VERY good airguns, designed primarily for hunting and the ability to take serious abuse and still perform, while being very easy to work on and cheap to maintain.

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » April 25th, 2020, 12:44 pm

88sins wrote:

Son, with all this talk about features, you looking to get a shooting platform or you buying a car?
Either way, take my advice, start with the basics. Specifically, what do you want to do with an air rifle and what you expect it to be able to do, then look at simplicity/complexity of build and reliability of function and ease/difficulty to repair or maintain, and move on to weight and ergonomics and aesthetics last.
So say for example you want a rifle for hunting or general plinking, that's powerful or can be made to shoot at a particular level, is accurate, gives you at least 30 shots per fill, is reliable and durable, etc. price of the unit, cost of parts, and choose from what's available best suiting your needs from there.

The hatsan anti double feed system actually works quite well, never had one that didn't perform as it should. Most times when it fails is attributable to user error, not cycling the lever or bolt all the way back till the sear engages properly.
Don't rule out the hatsans, they are VERY good airguns, designed primarily for hunting and the ability to take serious abuse and still perform, while being very easy to work on and cheap to maintain.

I am of the opinion that weight and ergonomics are your first priorities for any shooting.

After that, accuracy, function, reliability, aesthetics, or price; your choice.

Firewall
Riding on 16's

Postby Firewall » April 25th, 2020, 1:22 pm

88sins wrote:

Lol. The price some of these things cost I could buy a car instead.

The feature talk was to find out if anybody else had issue with a air rifle for the local market missing features on the same item on the foreign market.
It is entirely possible that my problem stems from my own user error with regard to the double feed, but it is not an inexpensive purchase so I would like to double check.

Main uses would be plinking and minor pest control

While all of the factors you mentioned are important, for me weight and number of shots would be highest priority with cost coming in after.

All said, the hatsan was excellent but heavy and expensive. If my problem stems from user error then i can purchase anything within budget knowing just the barrel is different.

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 88sins » April 25th, 2020, 2:43 pm

adnj wrote:I am of the opinion that weight and ergonomics are your first priorities for any shooting.

gtk, too bad that your priorities are wrong way around.
Ask any serious shooting sports enthusiast or law enforcement officer and they'll tell you the same thing.
Doesn't matter how light or ergonomically comfortable a weapon is if accuracy and reliability have to take second place and you can't hit what you aiming for and your weapon can probably fail on you. Aesthetics truthfully shouldn't even enter the equation, since form should follow function, but it does only because of external design and color differences.
Ergonomic fit or a lack thereof can be enhanced with training and development of musculoskeletal memory, and there's situations where heavier is actually an advantage over lighter, and this is particularly true for long weapons. Some examples are off hand shooting in windy weather and benchrest. A heavier weapon is less easily moved by the breeze than a light one when shooting offhand, and in br a heavier one is less affected by recoil than a lighter one.

In shooting sports, as with many other things, its not a one size fits all situation. And having ones priorities in the wrong order can end up being a very costly mistake. Meaning you will end up buying multiple rifles, finding they don't suit your needs, have to sell it (often at a loss), to start over.
Better to take the time and make your choices based on properly listed criteria from the start.

Firewall
Riding on 16's

Postby Firewall » April 26th, 2020, 5:45 am

88sins wrote:gtk, too bad that your priorities are wrong way around.
Ask any serious shooting sports enthusiast or law enforcement officer and they'll tell you the same thing.
Doesn't matter how light or ergonomically comfortable a weapon is if accuracy and reliability have to take second place and you can't hit what you aiming for and your weapon can probably fail on you. Aesthetics truthfully shouldn't even enter the equation, since form should follow function, but it does only because of external design and color differences.
Ergonomic fit or a lack thereof can be enhanced with training and development of musculoskeletal memory, and there's situations where heavier is actually an advantage over lighter, and this is particularly true for long weapons. Some examples are off hand shooting in windy weather and benchrest. A heavier weapon is less easily moved by the breeze than a light one when shooting offhand, and in br a heavier one is less affected by recoil than a lighter one.

In shooting sports, as with many other things, its not a one size fits all situation. And having ones priorities in the wrong order can end up being a very costly mistake. Meaning you will end up buying multiple rifles, finding they don't suit your needs, have to sell it (often at a loss), to start over.
Better to take the time and make your choices based on properly listed criteria from the start.

I appreciate the wide bredth of your knowledge in this matter.

I would propose a basic assumption that all pcp air rifles available locally are accurate and reliable, using the metric of the rifle itself and not ones skill level (based on the lack of widespread complaints and the fact that a manufacturer is not going to deliberately make a lemon)

Additionally, this is a recreational tool and I have no interest in competing or training to overcome ergonomics and develop muscle memory.

With regard to the weight, in the instances mentioned, can that be negated considering it is an air rifle? Meaning, if the wind is enough to move the rifle, it will wreak havoc on the pellet and recoil for a pcp is basically nil.

As stated before the hatsan gladius was perfect, (since nobody has stated differently i am assuming the double feed problem was user error) from a bench for me. With scope, light and bipod, it was around 15 - 20lbs though which made carrying it a pain.

Based on my criteria from what i have owned previously, weight is a factor to me. Money no object I would buy a fx impact as it ticked all the boxes for me. I almost did a few years ago, but i was required to pay for it without knowing when the shipment was arriving, so i eventually lost interest.

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » April 26th, 2020, 7:45 am

88sins wrote:
adnj wrote:I am of the opinion that weight and ergonomics are your first priorities for any shooting.

gtk, too bad that your priorities are wrong way around.

It sounds as if you have conflated weight and ergonomics to be the lightest rifle possible.

You have also just confirmed (in bold) what I said earlier. For the same caliber:

.. You may want a 15 pound benchrest rifle with a bull barrel, 1/10 MOA accuracy, raised comb, swelled grip and a length of pull that is 1/2" longer than what you usually use.

.. For position you may move to a shorter, 12 pound heavy barrel with 1 MOA accuracy, and rounded forend instead of flat.

.. For hunting, you may move to a 8 pound sporter with a 4 lb trigger pull instead of 4oz, a light-weight tapered barrel in 18 inches with 2 MOA accuracy instead of 26 inches for benchrest shooting, and a scope with a longer eye relief for increased recoil.

People that are taller vs. shorter, male vs. female, muscular vs. average build will all need to look at different configurations. I can't speak for what a person wants to spend or whether they are a wannbe mall-ninja sniper/mercenary, but I have never met anyone that wants to carry an ugly rifle, pistol or shotgun.

There is no one-gun solution.
Last edited by adnj on April 26th, 2020, 7:45 am, edited 2 times in total.

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 88sins » April 26th, 2020, 7:51 am

Firewall wrote:

I would propose a basic assumption that all pcp air rifles available locally are accurate and reliable, using the metric of the rifle itself and not ones skill level (based on the lack of widespread complaints and the fact that a manufacturer is not going to deliberately make a lemon)

That'd be a very wrong assupmtion. IME I've seen units made (in many brands) of the same model & in the same year, one you could drive nails with & the other you wouldn't be able to hit the broad side of a mountain. Not all are equal, there will be differences and variances from one to the next, and it's these that cause accuracy issues

Firewall wrote:Additionally, this is a recreational tool and I have no interest in competing or training to overcome ergonomics and develop muscle memory.

Then you have no intention to hit what you're aiming at.
No matter if you are shooting standing, kneeling, sitting or prone or from a bench, if you pla to shoot with ANY sort of reliable accuracy, developing muscle memory isn't optional, it's mandatory.

Firewall wrote:With regard to the weight, in the instances mentioned, can that be negated considering it is an air rifle? Meaning, if the wind is enough to move the rifle, it will wreak havoc on the pellet and recoil for a pcp is basically nil.

there's things one can do to counter the weight of a heavy rifle, such as using a sling for support, or using your skeletal structure. Wind will always be a problem, but not as big a problem as one might think for the pellet in flight. Depends on pellet weight & shape, BC, velocity & a few ther factors.
Not all PCP rifles are recoilless, their recoil may not be as hard powerful as a springer but it's still there & can affect accuracy.

Firewall wrote:As stated before the hatsan gladius was perfect, (since nobody has stated differently i am assuming the double feed problem was user error) from a bench for me. With scope, light and bipod, it was around 15 - 20lbs though which made carrying it a pain.
If most of your shooting will be for recreational purposes & from a bench, the only real time you have to deal with the weight is when taking it to & from the shooting area. I not seeing a problem with weight in this situation really

Firewall wrote:Based on my criteria from what i have owned previously, weight is a factor to me. Money no object I would buy a fx impact as it ticked all the boxes for me. I almost did a few years ago, but i was required to pay for it without knowing when the shipment was arriving, so i eventually lost interest.

There's a saying, "only buy an FX Impact if you want something you always have to FiX". Not me & dem anaemic high tech space gun.

I'd love to get my hands on a LCS SK19 but that's not an option for us here. Hatsan just released the semi/full auto BLITZ in the US earlier this year so IF I were to get something else I might consider that first.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » April 26th, 2020, 8:10 am

what most of allyuh(esp firewall) not realising is that the smoothbore barrels the local dealers install are hit and miss(no pun intended)
you have to be lucky to get a good one regardless of the brand you buy locally.

this fact alone trumps the many other factors listed.

so unless you were lucky to buy an expensive gun with a pseudo rifling or done serious barrel examination work you are literally shooting in the dark to begin with.

mind you even in other countries without the stupid smoothbore laws you often do get barrels with bad crowning etc.

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » April 26th, 2020, 8:29 am

88sins wrote:
Firewall wrote:

That'd be a very wrong assupmtion. IME I've seen units made (in many brands) of the same model & in the same year, one you could drive nails with & the other you wouldn't be able to hit the broad side of a mountain. Not all are equal, there will be differences and variances from one to the next, and it's these that cause accuracy issues

Firewall wrote:Additionally, this is a recreational tool and I have no interest in competing or training to overcome ergonomics and develop muscle memory.

No matter if you are shooting standing, kneeling, sitting or prone or from a bench, if you pla to shoot with ANY sort of reliable accuracy, developing muscle memory isn't optional, it's mandatory.

Firewall wrote:With regard to the weight, in the instances mentioned, can that be negated considering it is an air rifle? Meaning, if the wind is enough to move the rifle, it will wreak havoc on the pellet and recoil for a pcp is basically nil.

there's things one can do to counter the weight of a heavy rifle, such as using a sling for support, or using your skeletal structure. Wind will always be a problem, but not as big a problem as one might think for the pellet in flight. Depends on pellet weight & shape, BC, velocity & a few ther factors.
Not all PCP rifles are recoilless, their recoil may not be as hard powerful as a springer but it's still there & can affect accuracy.

Firewall wrote:As stated before the hatsan gladius was perfect, (since nobody has stated differently i am assuming the double feed problem was user error) from a bench for me. With scope, light and bipod, it was around 15 - 20lbs though which made carrying it a pain.
If most of your shooting will be for recreational purposes & from a bench, the only real time you have to deal with the weight is when taking it to & from the shooting area. I not seeing a problem with weight in this situation really

Firewall wrote:Based on my criteria from what i have owned previously, weight is a factor to me. Money no object I would buy a fx impact as it ticked all the boxes for me. I almost did a few years ago, but i was required to pay for it without knowing when the shipment was arriving, so i eventually lost interest.

There's a saying, "only buy an FX Impact if you want something you always have to FiX". Not me & dem anaemic high tech space gun.

I'd love to get my hands on a LCS SK19 but that's not an option for us here. Hatsan just released the semi/full auto BLITZ in the US earlier this year so IF I were to get something else I might consider that first.
I see a lot of talk about accuracy. What sized 5 and 10 shot groups are you getting and at what range (indoors or outdoors)?

Firewall
Riding on 16's

Postby Firewall » April 26th, 2020, 10:05 am

88sins wrote:
Firewall wrote:

From what you are saying here, and what Pugbog is echoing, it seems that I have been very lucky to get accurate and reliable items both times I purchased. Now that I am aware, that changes the complexion of the decision significantly. I will need to look for a dealer who will be able to stand behind the product

Maybe I am misunderstanding what you mean by muscle memory.
What I mean is that I have no intention of re-learning to hold an air rifle which is definitely uncomfortable for me.
Obviously I will practice with any rifle I choose, to increase precision.

Weight is an issue when its only me that can enjoy use of the rifle in any instance that might arise

Never heard that about the Fx.
But then again, I was considering it years ago when the impact was the new airgun boner. Seems like I dodged a bullet there for what they cost.

Triniak47 wrote:Check out https://www.centrefirett.com/

Thanks man. Seeing some interesting things there!

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » April 26th, 2020, 10:13 am

Firewall what pcp you using ?
How it grouping at 25yds ?

Firewall
Riding on 16's

Postby Firewall » April 26th, 2020, 11:04 am

pugboy wrote:Firewall what pcp you using ?
I had a hatsan gladius that i sold 3+ years ago.
1/2" 5 shot group at 20 yards was normal using a "bench" with minimal wind.
Offhand was significantly worse, probably 1.5" normally.

Triniak47
Ricer

Postby Triniak47 » April 26th, 2020, 11:58 am

88sins wrote:
Firewall wrote:

Why is the LCS SK19 not an option?

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » April 26th, 2020, 11:59 am

that’s decent

Firewall wrote:
pugboy wrote:Firewall what pcp you using ?
I had a hatsan gladius that i sold 3+ years ago.
1/2" 5 shot group at 20 yards was normal using a "bench" with minimal wind.
Offhand was significantly worse, probably 1.5" normally.

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 88sins » April 26th, 2020, 12:48 pm

adnj wrote:I see a lot of talk about accuracy. What sized 5 and 10 shot groups are you getting and at what range (indoors or outdoors)?

First off, serious shooters don't wast time with 5 shot groups. 5 shot groups tell you a little, 10 shot groups paint a better picture of what a gun is doing. My personal gun Hatsan BT65, & from a bench, outdoors at 20 yards, gun producing a hair over 40 fpe with 13.43 grain JSB Monster pellets with an ES of 10 fps & SD of 2fps, producing a 10 shot group under an inch, consistently.

Only caveat, this is NOT your standard factory delivered unit. Some work was done on it to get it this accurate. Bore & leade were polished, choke resized, 11* target crown recut & chamfered, modified valve among other things.

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 88sins » April 26th, 2020, 12:50 pm

Triniak47 wrote:Why is the LCS SK19 not an option?

because it doesn't come in .177, & to make it in that caliber it'd be a PITA to load since it doesn't have a detachable clip

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » April 26th, 2020, 2:58 pm

Shooting an official sized benchrest scored target(25 bulls) is also a good measure

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » April 26th, 2020, 3:51 pm

88sins wrote:
adnj wrote:I see a lot of talk about accuracy. What sized 5 and 10 shot groups are you getting and at what range (indoors or outdoors)?

First off, serious shooters don't wast time with 5 shot groups. 5 shot groups tell you a little, 10 shot groups paint a better picture of what a gun is doing. My personal gun Hatsan BT65, & from a bench, outdoors at 20 yards, gun producing a hair over 40 fpe with 13.43 grain JSB Monster pellets with an ES of 10 fps & SD of 2fps, producing a 10 shot group under an inch, consistently.

Only caveat, this is NOT your standard factory delivered unit. Some work was done on it to get it this accurate. Bore & leade were polished, choke resized, 11* target crown recut & chamfered, modified valve among other things.

I hear a lot of opinion from you but with all due respect, you have more than a few inconsistencies in your statements regarding what is serious and what is not. You are a serious smooth bore air rifle shooter. I am not nor have I presented myself that way.

You are looking at repeatability of the pellet fired over a chrono. I look at performance of a handload over a chrono.

There are many shooters and gunsmiths that do 5-shots for zero and warmup. A 10-shot group to do an equipment check after a modification is fine for a firearm.

If what you have vociferously stated works for your needs, even though they fail on the merits, have at it.

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”