Forums

Property Tax in Trinidad & Tobago

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

j.o.e
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Re: Property Tax in Trinidad & Tobago

Postby j.o.e » September 26th, 2022, 8:48 am

I believe some kind of tax should be paid. Even if it’s a rehashed land and building tax which we haven’t paid in forever. However the tax revenue should stay within a reformed local govt system. Then it’s up to the people to hold local govt responsible

matr1x

Postby matr1x » September 26th, 2022, 9:15 am

All the revenue from property tax getting tief

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » September 26th, 2022, 9:40 am

In for info on tax seizures of hilltop and seaside property.

j.o.e

Postby j.o.e » September 26th, 2022, 9:57 am

Also there is the added benefit of normalizing property prices. If hoarding property starts to cost people money they are more likely to liquidate properties at a better market value.

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby timelapse » September 26th, 2022, 10:08 am

j.o.e wrote:I believe some kind of tax should be paid. Even if it’s a rehashed land and building tax which we haven’t paid in forever. However the tax revenue should stay within a reformed local govt system. Then it’s up to the people to hold local govt responsible
So do I.But not in the way it is currently structured to be done .The government is attempting to punish people for trying to increase their standard of living.There is already stamp duty,vat,etc.Standard land tax should be fine.
Then there's the other part where shortman and company exempted themselves from property taxes while increasing it for the rest of us.

Kickstart
Riding on 16's

Postby Kickstart » September 26th, 2022, 1:32 pm

timelapse wrote:
j.o.e wrote:I believe some kind of tax should be paid. Even if it’s a rehashed land and building tax which we haven’t paid in forever. However the tax revenue should stay within a reformed local govt system. Then it’s up to the people to hold local govt responsible
So do I.But not in the way it is currently structured to be done .The government is attempting to punish people for trying to increase their standard of living.There is already stamp duty,vat,etc.Standard land tax should be fine.
Then there's the other part where shortman and company exempted themselves from property taxes while increasing it for the rest of us.
This is what the PNM is after, the people that own massive lands and buildings. When lands was cheap and what no one else wanted certain people saw the value while other saw fetes.

De Dragon
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby De Dragon » September 26th, 2022, 1:32 pm

timelapse wrote:

Yes, Afra Raymond's justification for that was sketchy.
Imagine a man living in a braggadang on your street, driving down property values, and still getting to pay less tax :roll:

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 88sins » September 26th, 2022, 5:51 pm

In case allyuh didn't get d memo, understand it now

PNM DON'T CARE ABOUT ALLYUH.
In their minds, the people are there to serve them, wuk and ketch yuh ass till yuh dead.
While you suffer please do it quietly and without opposition, and when time to dead, please do that out of their eyesight, or at the very least quietly to not upset them.

The_Honourable
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby The_Honourable » September 26th, 2022, 9:01 pm

Imbert on Property Tax

- To be collected in fiscal 2023

- Amendments to the act to be made

- Tax to begin on approx 400,000 residential properties, commercial and industrial next. Agricultural last.

- All taxes collected will go to the respective local corporations

- Annual Rental Values (ARV) values currently being assessed to enter into the valuation roll.

- As of August 2022, valuation has received 325,296 returns. 200,000 are residential properties.

- Valuation tribunal which will handle disputes are to be finalized.

De Dragon
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby De Dragon » September 27th, 2022, 9:55 pm

Ollour forgive my cynicism, but is LFD RFD PNM TaxBert saying it.
When I see it, I will believe it.

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 88sins » November 3rd, 2022, 10:27 pm

Ok a scenario for you all.

3 weeks ago someone came to the area asking for me, and my neighbors called me and asked if they could give them my number. I said ok, and that was that. Later on, I found out, my blasted wife fill out the mudda ass valuation form and send it in. That didn't go over well for her. But I go finish sort that out momentarily. That f-ckup gonna cost her. But I digress.

Anywhoo...

ffw to tonight, I got a call from a cell number Idk, from someone claiming to be from the CSO, asking me if I could make myself available at home tomorrow for them to come to conduct a survey (red flag #1), to which I replied no.
I then asked, who is conducting this survey and what it's about, and who would be using the data collected, and how was my household selected. To which she replied "the CSO & UNICEF conducting the survey, and that it's a survey about women and children and family life" (red flag #2, not saying how we were selected or who will be accessing the data)
She then asked if she could conduct their survey over the phone, to which I agreed.

So I say ok, ask your questions, and she starts off innocuously enough with:
How many ppl living in the home
My name and wife's name
Ages
DoB
Our respective education levels
Where we were born and our nationalities
Our ethnicities
All of these questions I answered politely.

So here's where it went sideways and upside down in a hurry.
She proceeded to ask the following, but before she does she says that she supposed to physically view these things for her "survey", but she will ask over the phone for now. So she asks:
Type of house
How many floors
How many rooms
How many rooms are used for sleeping
If it have ac, pipe borne water supply, water storage, water pump, heater,
Is there a landlines phone
What on the floor (tile, vinyl, concrete)
Type of windows and if they are burglar proofed
Roof material and condition
Type of ceiling

(Red flag fete, only red flag everywhere)

None of these questions I answered, and I told her flat out, I believe that you are calling in regards to the property tax and that you lied and misrepresented you purpose for contacting me. So she say if I don't want to answer because I don't believe her regarding what offices she claims to be conducting a survey for, or the purpose of said survey, that's fine and that I can speak to her supervisor, and would l like their name and contact, to which I replied no, and she asked if the supervisor could call me, to which I replied ok. I then bid her a good night and hung up.

So, idk if you noticed, but not a single question relevant to women and children and family life was asked. So, if you don't understand what I saying, lemme break it all the way down for you.

These rat-fuggers under the command of the primary rat sodomizer your dishonorable sinister minister of fine ants mr. Clown inbutt have now resorted to telling their lackeys to literally lie to you to get confirmation of information from you regarding the valuation form you submitted. All because they know that nobody will talk to them on the phone to confirm the information, and that they CANNOT enter your premises to confirm it without your express permission. Stinkin mc and dem. That is what allyuh vote for when you chose these rat bastards. Liars, crooks, thieves and conmen.

Be aware people, be very aware.

The_Honourable
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby The_Honourable » November 3rd, 2022, 10:46 pm

88sins wrote:Ok a scenario for you all.

3 weeks ago someone came to the area asking for me, and my neighbors called me and asked if they could give them my number. I said ok, and that was that. Later on, I found out, my blasted wife fill out the mudda ass valuation form and send it in. That didn't go over well for her. But I go finish sort that out momentarily. That f-ckup gonna cost her. But I digress.

Anywhoo...

ffw to tonight, I got a call from a cell number Idk, from someone claiming to be from the CSO, asking me if I could make myself available at home tomorrow for them to come to conduct a survey (red flag #1), to which I replied no.
I then asked, who is conducting this survey and what it's about, and who would be using the data collected, and how was my household selected. To which she replied "the CSO & UNICEF conducting the survey, and that it's a survey about women and children and family life" (red flag #2, not saying how we were selected or who will be accessing the data)
She then asked if she could conduct their survey over the phone, to which I agreed.

My name and wife's name
Ages
DoB
Our ethnicities

She proceeded to ask the following, but before she does she says that she supposed to physically view these things for her "survey", but she will ask over the phone for now. So she asks:
Type of house
How many floors
How many rooms
Type of ceiling

None of these questions I answered, and I told her flat out, I believe that you are calling in regards to the property tax and that you lied and misrepresented you purpose for contacting me. So she say if I don't want to answer because I don't believe her regarding what offices she claims to be conducting a survey for, or the purpose of said survey, that's fine and that I can speak to her supervisor, and would l like their name and contact, to which I replied no, and she asked if the supervisor could call me, to which I replied ok. I then bid her a good night and hung up.

So, idk if you noticed, but not a single question relevant to women and children and family life was asked. So, if you don't understand what I saying, lemme break it all the way down for you.

These rat-fuggers under the command of the primary rat sodomizer your dishonorable sinister minister of fine ants mr. Clown inbutt have now resorted to telling their lackeys to literally lie to you to get confirmation of information from you regarding the valuation form you submitted. All because they know that nobody will talk to them on the phone to confirm the information, and that they CANNOT enter your premises to confirm it without your express permission. Stinkin mc and dem. That is what allyuh vote for when you chose these rat bastards. Liars, crooks, thieves and conmen.

The survey is legit, it starts from August 1st and ends November 30th

https://tt.loopnews.com/content/look-ou ... ust-1-2022

https://cso.gov.tt/multiple-indicator-c ... rvey-mics/

But i did read somewhere on facebook of persons (women) claiming to be from the CSO office and Valuation division attempting to get information for suspected criminal activity such as robberies.

The CSO team is walking around communities with ID collecting info during the day so for someone to be calling you in the night to get info is a huge red flag by itself.

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 88sins » November 4th, 2022, 4:26 am

Exactly, calling people 8pm? From a cell number? Very suspicious.
I find it even more suspicious that the focus of their questioning had more to do with the actual residence than the people who live on the property, even more so considering that many of the things she asked are exactly the same as what on the valuation form, and even worse when you realize she let it slip that she supposed to visually verify the responses you give for the questions she asking about the property. Wtf, since when the CSO or unicef want to visually verify the contents and what amenities and fittings and fixtures in ppl house? And why? And what does the tile in my house or the ceiling or the water tank and pump and how many bedrooms & bathrooms to do with family life? It blasted suspicious.

VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby VexXx Dogg » November 4th, 2022, 9:43 am

Anywhoo...

My name and wife's name
Ages
DoB
Our ethnicities

Type of house
How many floors
How many rooms
Type of ceiling

very suspect

wing
Riding on 18's

Postby wing » November 4th, 2022, 9:59 am

VexXx Dogg wrote:

Anywhoo...

My name and wife's name
Ages
DoB
Our ethnicities

Type of house
How many floors
How many rooms
Type of ceiling

very suspect
First time I hearing of something like this. But would a disgruntled public servant go the extra mile to call at night for something like property tax? It would seem to be a fact finding mission for some nefarious purpose. Be careful out there and remember not everything has to be politicized.

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 88sins » November 4th, 2022, 10:00 pm

A happy public servant in dis place don't go the extra millimeter.

I waiting for the "supervisor", and I have the number written down and the entire convo recorded and saved on a cd, just in case I need to follow up on this.

DMan7
punchin NOS

Postby DMan7 » November 4th, 2022, 10:15 pm

Why would you answer an unknown number in the night though?

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 88sins » November 5th, 2022, 10:16 am

DMan7 wrote:Why would you answer an unknown number in the night though?

I answer my phone regardless of what time, whether or not I know the number or who's on the other end. Quite often times it's people who got referred to me regarding business, sometimes from overseas. Other times it's family and friends checking in, or need help or advice, or to tell me something that they think I should be informed about.
You never can tell, sometimes people you know or don't know may call you from an unfamiliar number to get or give you information that may be valuable or important. One time i had a good friend get in an accident an early morning about 1 am and lost his phone, and he borrowed a person phone to reach me for help.He knew that I answer when the phone rings regardless of the hour, once I hear it, and that if I miss the call and see more than 2 attempts were made to reach me I will call back as soon as I can.

But if I pick up and it's some random mook bringing nonsensical bs, theres nothing stopping me from letting them know to not call back and hang up the phone. If they call back, thatcnumber gets blocked. If they change it and call again, that will get blocked too, and so it will go till they either get smart or fed up.

daz just how I iz, you may deal with things differently, no judgment.

Kenjo
punchin NOS

Postby Kenjo » November 5th, 2022, 10:21 am

I’m confused as to how many random spam numbers people get called from in trinidad with the number of regular people who are too important to answer unknown numbers . Is it courts or standards you all owing money so ?

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 88sins » November 5th, 2022, 12:37 pm

Kenjo wrote:I’m confused as to how many random spam numbers people get called from in trinidad with the number of regular people who are too important to answer unknown numbers . Is it courts or standards you all owing money so ?

:lol: yuh unnastan.
not answering unfamiliar numbers is the go to response for people that expecting bailiff and credit collections calling.

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 88sins » November 5th, 2022, 12:45 pm

But in all seriousness
What does the tile on my floor, or the pump, or the tank, or any of the fixtures and fittings in my house have to do with family life, to the extent that the CSO or UNICEF would want to send someone to visually verify what I have in my house?

I am under the impression that the alleged survey being conducted by the CSO is being used to collect information regarding the property tax. The questions too identical to be a mere coincidence, and the fact that when I asked what agency will be accessing the data she never responded didn't help her win me over either.

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » November 5th, 2022, 1:10 pm

You can decline to participate in the data collection.

They came by me this morning and said my house was chosen. It was official, both of them had the CSO badge and were very polite. But I said nah and bye. The end.

That is how data is collected to index quality of life and various other global statistics that concern the UN. The stat experts with much more education and experience than any of us here would design questions to get real data, compared to just income and thinking that's a real survey on quality of life.

But you can just decline participation. They'll find somebody else.

Chimera
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Chimera » November 5th, 2022, 1:27 pm

all this sounding like questions a bandit would like to know eh. legit survey or not, them questions real suspeck

Type of house
How many floors
How many rooms
Type of ceiling

how many rooms used for sleeping.......(so they know how much rooms to look for persons quickly )
landline phone (if they use a cellphone jammer)
type of windows and if burglar proof...wha kinda freaking question that is
roof material and condition.......
type of ceiling......

cud jus be my usual paranoia talking

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby timelapse » November 5th, 2022, 3:38 pm

Phone Surgeon wrote:all this sounding like questions a bandit would like to know eh. legit survey or not, them questions real suspeck

Type of house
How many floors
How many rooms
Type of ceiling

how many rooms used for sleeping.......(so they know how much rooms to look for persons quickly )
landline phone (if they use a cellphone jammer)
type of windows and if burglar proof...wha kinda freaking question that is
roof material and condition.......
type of ceiling......

cud jus be my usual paranoia talking
You aren't being paranoid.PNM wants to seize your property, so this is the inventory

Chimera
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Chimera » November 5th, 2022, 3:40 pm

maj. tom wrote:You can decline to participate in the data collection.

They came by me this morning and said my house was chosen. It was official, both of them had the CSO badge and were very polite. But I said nah and bye. The end.

That is how data is collected to index quality of life and various other global statistics that concern the UN. The stat experts with much more education and experience than any of us here would design questions to get real data, compared to just income and thinking that's a real survey on quality of life.

fack dem

these days you shouldnt even risk talking to someone by the gate, let everything be phone polls or online

next thing u stand up by the gate talking to someone and men driving through looking for someone to rob......

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 88sins » November 5th, 2022, 5:19 pm

maj. tom wrote:You can decline to participate in the data collection.

All fine and dandy. But all I go say is this.

The CSO is a state owned and operated database and data collection organization.
The BIR/IRD is also a state owned and operated database and data collection agency, and also a revenue collection agency.

And I'm inclined to believe that once one state operates agency has acquired information from you, that ALL state agencies have access to that information, particularly if you don't have an option to insist and ensure that no other agency have access to any of the information you gave.

So, as far as I concerned, to hell with them and their "survey" with questions that way similar or even identical to the property valuation form questions.

Rayden6
Sweet on this forum

Postby Rayden6 » November 8th, 2022, 12:16 am

Read this book and you will see all what the elites have in store for the world population
PROTOCOLS OF THE LEARNED ELDERS OF ZION a red cover book

death365
Riding on 18's

Postby death365 » November 8th, 2022, 3:18 am

Boy yuh can't be real, all Information collected in Ministries are ...

1. Suck in silos
2. Even if requested Ministries refuse to release it
3. We (our sweet country) can even share info between NIS and d place that register deaths (can't remember the name now) hence why "life certificates" exist

Take it from me no organisation/Ministries sharing info. Btw I am a career Public Servant

88sins wrote:All fine and dandy. But all I go say is this.

The CSO is a state owned and operated database and data collection organization.
The BIR/IRD is also a state owned and operated database and data collection agency, and also a revenue collection agency.

And I'm inclined to believe that once one state operates agency has acquired information from you, that ALL state agencies have access to that information, particularly if you don't have an option to insist and ensure that no other agency have access to any of the information you gave.

So, as far as I concerned, to hell with them and their "survey" with questions that way similar or even identical to the property valuation form questions.

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 88sins » November 8th, 2022, 6:45 am

gtk you're a "career public servant", but wrap your head around these two things.

Firstly, just because they don't do something, that doesn't mean that they can't/won't ever start.
Secondly, a lot of information and already gets shared among government entities and agencies. They don't all just send data everywhere to each other on a whim, but take what I telling you, data gets where it needs to go when specific agencies decide they have a need for it.

EDIT
you want an example? Ok.

Ask yourself, where is information for the pool of potential jurors taken from?

The_Honourable
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby The_Honourable » May 25th, 2023, 9:53 am

Govt eyes property tax revenue of $50M for 2023

Government has estimated property tax revenue of $50 million for 2023 – and an estimated $13.591 billion in revenue from oil companies in 2023 also.

The information is contained in the 2023 Budget document– Draft Estimates of Revenue (DER).

Debate on the 2023 Budget continues at 10 am on Friday with Opposition Leader Kamla Persad-Bissessar’s reply.

She has the same length of time – four hours – as Finance Minister Colm Imbert utilised to present the Budget on Monday.

Imbert had said Government is on track to commence property tax collection in 2023 and after residential properties, assessment of commercial, industrial and agricultural properties will follow.

Imbert said the legal structure for the property tax is already in place, but Government intends to make “some simple amendments before the end of the year” to the Valuation of Land Act, to tighten and clarify the procedures for the gathering and processing of information and valuation of properties.

The DER document shows a line item for property tax with no actual figure for 2021, an estimate of $100 million for 2022, no revised estimate for 2022 and a 2023 estimate of $50 million.

More: https://www.guardian.co.tt/news/govt-ey ... 3ec2c14327

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”