Forums

Sat Maharaj - RIP

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

zoom rader
TunerGod

Re: Sat Maharaj - RIP

Postby zoom rader » November 19th, 2019, 7:19 am

K74T wrote:Zoomindra you de fly dong for de funeral dey bai?

Nah I coming for elections only

Dizzy28
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Dizzy28 » November 19th, 2019, 9:25 am

Funeral today......who up in Caroni??

That traffic would be horrible in the back there. My uncle's funeral was the same day as Sat's wife back in 2009 but luckily we reached before them and this one would be bigger.

16 cycles
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby 16 cycles » November 19th, 2019, 9:28 am

traffic already start in that area...

88 is a good innings - he left a legacy...

Lakshmi girls Hindu College has taken home its fifth consecutive President's Medal.

https://trinidadexpress.com/newsextra/l ... 3e7e4.html

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » November 19th, 2019, 11:17 am

vaiostation wrote:Religious and cultural discrimination
(A throw back to one of Sat articles.)

Sat Ma­haraj

When Dr Er­ic Williams, first Prime Min­is­ter of Trinidad and To­ba­go, de­scribed all Hin­du schools as "cow­sheds," his sup­port­ers at Wood­ford Square en­joyed the sar­casm and dis­dain from the man whom some would like to de­scribe "the fa­ther of the na­tion."

Rather than help the Hin­du com­mu­ni­ty trans­form these "cow­shed" schools, he and his po­lit­i­cal par­ty, the Peo­ple's Na­tion­al Move­ment (PNM), con­tin­ued the re­li­gious, cul­tur­al and even racial dis­crim­i­na­tion against the in­di­an com­mu­ni­ty and more es­pe­cial­ly the Hin­dus of Trinidad and To­ba­go. South of the Ca­roni Riv­er was re­gard­ed by the PNM gov­ern­ment who ruled Trinidad and To­ba­go for 30 con­sec­u­tive years (1956-1986), as for­eign ter­ri­to­ry.

The roads were left un­paved and im­pass­able, wa­ter to the house­holds was at a pre­mi­um and oth­er ser­vices that were avail­able to cit­i­zens else­where were de­nied the peo­ple south of the riv­er. Even sec­ondary schools for our chil­dren did not come to Coun­ty Ca­roni and else­where in the coun­try­side un­til a change of gov­ern­ment in 1986.

Chil­dren from Fe­lic­i­ty were sent to sec­ondary schools as far as South East Port-of-Spain. Par­ents had to de­lib­er­ate­ly with­draw their chil­dren from these sec­ondary schools be­cause they full well un­der­stood the in­tent and pur­pose of the place­ment of the sec­ondary school chil­dren.

But then Dr Er­ic Williams and the PNM were con­tin­u­ing the colo­nial pol­i­cy of con­ver­sion and mix­ing of the races. Mor­ton Klass in his book East In­di­ans in Trinidad, fo­cused on this prob­lem in the fol­low­ing words: "As an in­den­tured labour­er on a sug­ar plan­ta­tion of ei­ther Trinidad or British Guiana, the East In­di­an im­mi­grant was re­quired to as­sume a po­si­tion with­in the plan­ta­tion so­cial sys­tem. The po­si­tion in which he found him­self was one on­ly re­cent­ly va­cat­ed by a freed slave."

Klass con­tin­ued, "The plan­ta­tion sys­tem had de­vel­oped dur­ing slav­ery and it did not sub­stan­tial­ly change dur­ing the pe­ri­od of in­den­tured labour. No pro­vi­sion was made for be­hav­iour pat­terns ap­pro­pri­ate to the im­mi­grants' so­ci­ety of ori­gin, and by the very na­ture of the sys­tem there was min­i­mal op­por­tu­ni­ty for the ex­er­cis­ing of such pat­terns."

Dr Cuth­bert Joseph, Min­is­ter of Ed­u­ca­tion and Cul­ture in the PNM gov­ern­ment, de­liv­ered a speech at the JFK lec­ture the­atre UWI, St Au­gus­tine on Au­gust 12, 1981 in which, for the first time a PNM politi­cian of his stature recog­nised the dif­fi­cul­ties that In­di­ans of Hin­du and Is­lam­ic ori­gin faced since their ar­rival on May 30, 1845 aboard the SS Fa­tal Raza­ck. Dr Joseph said: A few facts will pro­vide the ev­i­dence of cul­tur­al dis­crim­i­na­tion against In­di­ans dur­ing the colo­nial pe­ri­od:

a. The recog­ni­tion of imams as mar­riage of­fi­cers for Mus­lims was con­ced­ed on­ly in 1936 with the pass­ing of the Mus­lim Mar­riage and Di­vorce Or­di­nance.

b. The recog­ni­tion of pun­dits as mar­riage of­fi­cers for Hin­dus was le­galised on­ly in 1946 with the en­act­ment of the Hin­du Mar­riage Or­di­nance;

c. Le­gal pro­vi­sion was made for the cre­ma­tion of the dead in ac­cor­dance with Hin­du rites on­ly in 1953 through the pass­ing of the Cre­ma­tion Or­di­nance.

d. State as­sis­tance, of­fered since 1870 to Chris­t­ian de­nom­i­na­tions, for the op­er­a­tion of de­nom­i­na­tion­al pri­ma­ry schools was ex­tend­ed to Mus­lims on­ly in 1948 and to the Hin­du com­mu­ni­ty on­ly in 1951;

e. Pro­pos­als for the in­tro­duc­tion of uni­ver­sal adult suf­frage in 1946 at­tempt­ed to ex­clude sec­tions of the In­di­an com­mu­ni­ty through the ap­pli­ca­tion of a lit­er­a­cy test;

f. Up to the 1940s be­cause of the high lev­el of il­lit­er­a­cy then ex­ist­ing among rur­al In­di­ans, a rel­a­tive­ly small num­ber of them were to be found in the Gov­ern­ment Ser­vices and in the pro­fes­sions.

Writ­ing about the cul­tur­al dis­crim­i­na­tion suf­fered by In­di­ans in colo­nial Trinidad, CR Ot­t­ley had this to say: "It is of in­ter­est to ob­serve that it was the wear­ing of the trousers, jack­et and tie which first al­lowed him (the In­di­an) to make a breach in the high wall of so­cial os­tracism.

The In­di­an recog­nised that he could on­ly en­ter in­to those sec­tions of the so­cial mo­sa­ic con­sid­ered re­spectable, if he garbed him­self in the com­mon wear...Al­though his tra­di­tion­al wear was very much more in keep­ing with the cli­mat­ic and eco­nom­ic con­di­tions in which he had his be­ing, to be ac­cept­ed by mem­bers of the larg­er so­ci­ety he had to dress 'prop­er­ly".

"Above all, and this placed him (the In­di­an) square­ly out­side the pale, he did not wor­ship the one and on­ly God ex­ist­ing at that time in Trinidad-the God Almighty of the Chris­tians...To all and sundry he was a hea­then, a fourth-class cit­i­zen liv­ing in a world of his own...This dis­dain and mis­in­ter­pre­ta­tion of the way of life of the In­di­an left him liv­ing in a sort of im­peri­um in im­pe­rio in re­la­tion to the larg­er so­ci­ety."

• Sat­narayan Ma­haraj Sec­re­tary Gen­er­al Sanatan Dhar­ma Ma­ha Sab­ha

https://www.guardian.co.tt/article-6.2. ... 9a1592c36e

interesting stuff there

i wud like to see anybody who existed at d time to counteract anything false he said there for d knowledge of us all ........ :| :| :|

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » November 19th, 2019, 11:30 am

Rovin wrote:
vaiostation wrote:Religious and cultural discrimination
(A throw back to one of Sat articles.)

Sat Ma­haraj

When Dr Er­ic Williams, first Prime Min­is­ter of Trinidad and To­ba­go, de­scribed all Hin­du schools as "cow­sheds," his sup­port­ers at Wood­ford Square en­joyed the sar­casm and dis­dain from the man whom some would like to de­scribe "the fa­ther of the na­tion."

Rather than help the Hin­du com­mu­ni­ty trans­form these "cow­shed" schools, he and his po­lit­i­cal par­ty, the Peo­ple's Na­tion­al Move­ment (PNM), con­tin­ued the re­li­gious, cul­tur­al and even racial dis­crim­i­na­tion against the in­di­an com­mu­ni­ty and more es­pe­cial­ly the Hin­dus of Trinidad and To­ba­go. South of the Ca­roni Riv­er was re­gard­ed by the PNM gov­ern­ment who ruled Trinidad and To­ba­go for 30 con­sec­u­tive years (1956-1986), as for­eign ter­ri­to­ry.

The roads were left un­paved and im­pass­able, wa­ter to the house­holds was at a pre­mi­um and oth­er ser­vices that were avail­able to cit­i­zens else­where were de­nied the peo­ple south of the riv­er. Even sec­ondary schools for our chil­dren did not come to Coun­ty Ca­roni and else­where in the coun­try­side un­til a change of gov­ern­ment in 1986.

Chil­dren from Fe­lic­i­ty were sent to sec­ondary schools as far as South East Port-of-Spain. Par­ents had to de­lib­er­ate­ly with­draw their chil­dren from these sec­ondary schools be­cause they full well un­der­stood the in­tent and pur­pose of the place­ment of the sec­ondary school chil­dren.

But then Dr Er­ic Williams and the PNM were con­tin­u­ing the colo­nial pol­i­cy of con­ver­sion and mix­ing of the races. Mor­ton Klass in his book East In­di­ans in Trinidad, fo­cused on this prob­lem in the fol­low­ing words: "As an in­den­tured labour­er on a sug­ar plan­ta­tion of ei­ther Trinidad or British Guiana, the East In­di­an im­mi­grant was re­quired to as­sume a po­si­tion with­in the plan­ta­tion so­cial sys­tem. The po­si­tion in which he found him­self was one on­ly re­cent­ly va­cat­ed by a freed slave."

Klass con­tin­ued, "The plan­ta­tion sys­tem had de­vel­oped dur­ing slav­ery and it did not sub­stan­tial­ly change dur­ing the pe­ri­od of in­den­tured labour. No pro­vi­sion was made for be­hav­iour pat­terns ap­pro­pri­ate to the im­mi­grants' so­ci­ety of ori­gin, and by the very na­ture of the sys­tem there was min­i­mal op­por­tu­ni­ty for the ex­er­cis­ing of such pat­terns."

Dr Cuth­bert Joseph, Min­is­ter of Ed­u­ca­tion and Cul­ture in the PNM gov­ern­ment, de­liv­ered a speech at the JFK lec­ture the­atre UWI, St Au­gus­tine on Au­gust 12, 1981 in which, for the first time a PNM politi­cian of his stature recog­nised the dif­fi­cul­ties that In­di­ans of Hin­du and Is­lam­ic ori­gin faced since their ar­rival on May 30, 1845 aboard the SS Fa­tal Raza­ck. Dr Joseph said: A few facts will pro­vide the ev­i­dence of cul­tur­al dis­crim­i­na­tion against In­di­ans dur­ing the colo­nial pe­ri­od:

a. The recog­ni­tion of imams as mar­riage of­fi­cers for Mus­lims was con­ced­ed on­ly in 1936 with the pass­ing of the Mus­lim Mar­riage and Di­vorce Or­di­nance.

b. The recog­ni­tion of pun­dits as mar­riage of­fi­cers for Hin­dus was le­galised on­ly in 1946 with the en­act­ment of the Hin­du Mar­riage Or­di­nance;

c. Le­gal pro­vi­sion was made for the cre­ma­tion of the dead in ac­cor­dance with Hin­du rites on­ly in 1953 through the pass­ing of the Cre­ma­tion Or­di­nance.

d. State as­sis­tance, of­fered since 1870 to Chris­t­ian de­nom­i­na­tions, for the op­er­a­tion of de­nom­i­na­tion­al pri­ma­ry schools was ex­tend­ed to Mus­lims on­ly in 1948 and to the Hin­du com­mu­ni­ty on­ly in 1951;

e. Pro­pos­als for the in­tro­duc­tion of uni­ver­sal adult suf­frage in 1946 at­tempt­ed to ex­clude sec­tions of the In­di­an com­mu­ni­ty through the ap­pli­ca­tion of a lit­er­a­cy test;

f. Up to the 1940s be­cause of the high lev­el of il­lit­er­a­cy then ex­ist­ing among rur­al In­di­ans, a rel­a­tive­ly small num­ber of them were to be found in the Gov­ern­ment Ser­vices and in the pro­fes­sions.

Writ­ing about the cul­tur­al dis­crim­i­na­tion suf­fered by In­di­ans in colo­nial Trinidad, CR Ot­t­ley had this to say: "It is of in­ter­est to ob­serve that it was the wear­ing of the trousers, jack­et and tie which first al­lowed him (the In­di­an) to make a breach in the high wall of so­cial os­tracism.

The In­di­an recog­nised that he could on­ly en­ter in­to those sec­tions of the so­cial mo­sa­ic con­sid­ered re­spectable, if he garbed him­self in the com­mon wear...Al­though his tra­di­tion­al wear was very much more in keep­ing with the cli­mat­ic and eco­nom­ic con­di­tions in which he had his be­ing, to be ac­cept­ed by mem­bers of the larg­er so­ci­ety he had to dress 'prop­er­ly".

"Above all, and this placed him (the In­di­an) square­ly out­side the pale, he did not wor­ship the one and on­ly God ex­ist­ing at that time in Trinidad-the God Almighty of the Chris­tians...To all and sundry he was a hea­then, a fourth-class cit­i­zen liv­ing in a world of his own...This dis­dain and mis­in­ter­pre­ta­tion of the way of life of the In­di­an left him liv­ing in a sort of im­peri­um in im­pe­rio in re­la­tion to the larg­er so­ci­ety."

• Sat­narayan Ma­haraj Sec­re­tary Gen­er­al Sanatan Dhar­ma Ma­ha Sab­ha

https://www.guardian.co.tt/article-6.2. ... 9a1592c36e

interesting stuff there

i wud like to see anybody who existed at d time to counteract anything false he said there for d knowledge of us all ........ :| :| :|
It's all true and the PNM remains the same. Nothing has changed.

Skanky
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby Skanky » November 19th, 2019, 3:21 pm

Maha Sabha school has won President's Medal 5 years in a row now.
Sick them zoomcharitar!

Redman
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Redman » November 19th, 2019, 5:27 pm

http://caribbeanhistoryarchives.blogspo ... maraj.html

He refused to be taken in by those who accused him of being a racist, insisting that he was a Trinidadian, a Hindu and a citizen of the world. People said his popularity was based on the schools he had built in cowsheds. His response was that it was better to be educated in a cowshed than not to be educated at all.
To the tens of thousands who passed through Bhadase’s cowsheds, there was no doubt in their minds. In a sense, he outgrew the DLP he had created, left the party and in the words of historian Michael Anthony, who wrote a short biography of Bhadase, he “fought on, like a lone gladiator”. He carried his battle to both the PNM and to the DLP. In parliament, he was a fierce critic and a true independent.

16 cycles
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby 16 cycles » November 19th, 2019, 6:15 pm

was bhadase ever recognized for his role in helping to build forty schools - in reference to the article??

shake d livin wake d dead
TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » November 19th, 2019, 6:40 pm

D fadda ah d nation prolly tunnning in he grave seeing how them cowshed schools mashing up the place

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » November 19th, 2019, 6:44 pm

roti n dhal FTW .... :lol:

MaxPower
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby MaxPower » November 19th, 2019, 7:04 pm

vaiostation wrote:It have a reason why the Chinese and Syrians don't mix with any outsiders. Their culture gives them their identity.

Just how i like it.

MaxPower
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby MaxPower » November 19th, 2019, 7:15 pm

SAT had any idea what child marriage entailed?

These old ass STINK infected men forcing themselves on these young defenseless girls and impregnating them.....how disgusting.

I am happy he is dead, its such a pity he died somewhat comfortable.

Btw, i am neither PNM or UNC...or affiliated with allyuh kinda people.

Condolences NOT.

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » November 19th, 2019, 7:28 pm

MaxPower wrote:SAT had any idea what child marriage entailed?

These old ass STINK infected men forcing themselves on these young defenseless girls and impregnating them.....how disgusting.

I am happy he is dead, its such a pity he died somewhat comfortable.

Btw, i am neither PNM or UNC...or affiliated with allyuh kinda people.

Condolences NOT.
You know of any local cases of old men marrying children ?

rspann
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rspann » November 19th, 2019, 7:31 pm

RIP . Return If Possible.

eitech
punchin NOS

Postby eitech » November 19th, 2019, 8:17 pm

RIP. Rolling In Pain

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » November 19th, 2019, 8:25 pm

cro cro time now!!

No_Name
Sweet on this forum

Postby No_Name » November 19th, 2019, 9:54 pm

sMASH wrote:cro cro time now!!

& Aloes...
Massive, heads up dey hosts...

The_Honourable
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby The_Honourable » November 19th, 2019, 10:26 pm

Cro cro sing bout the man and all he have to show decades later is a government van from cepep :lol:

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » November 19th, 2019, 10:29 pm

^^^after he sang about kamla "she's royal" ..... when $$$ passin ppl does do anything

hydroep
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby hydroep » November 20th, 2019, 12:46 am

Cudjoe: Sat was T&T’s Martin Luther King
Anna Ramdass

Satnarayan Maharaj was yesterday likened to late freedom fighter Martin Luther King by Prof Selwyn Cudjoe.

Cudjoe was speaking at Maharaj’s funeral service held at Lakshmi Girls’ Hindu College, St Augustine.

He reminded mourners that while Maharaj was absent in body, his spirit, his legacy and his love for Trinidad and Tobago will forever live on.

“No man or woman in this twin-island nation loved this island better than he did. And he loved with a rare devotion and pride,” Cudjoe said.

Cudjoe said people would want to compare Maharaj to anti-colonial nationalist Mahatma Gandhi but he felt Maharaj was more akin to Martin Luther King Junior because of his struggles and commitment to fighting for minorities.

Trinidad and Tobago was a broken nation in the 1970s and it was up to Maharaj and others to keep up the fight for minority rights, even though the minority Indo-Trinidadians were now a majority, Cudjoe said.

“Like Dr King, Sat Maharaj would go down in our history as one of the major architects in helping to perfect our union, to make ours a fairer society and to make this a better place in which to live,” he said.

Cudjoe said when he first learnt of his friend’s death he knew he had to return to Trinidad to pay tribute to this “great patriot”.

“Sat was dead and I had to be home to pay my respect to this great educator,” he said.

He disclosed that he first met Maharaj when former prime minister Patrick Manning set up a committee on race relations to allow parties to talk about race relations in the country.

He said they had exchanged insults in the newspapers but they were “chasing after shadows”.

Cudjoe said at first they were hostile to one another but then they discovered they both had one thing in common — they both were determined to advance the interest and welfare of their respective groups.

He said the committee helped in building that respect for humanity as he called for such a committee to be re-established.

Cudjoe said Maharaj fought for his group but he also did not forget the others.

He said when Maharaj collected $1 million from the Government for the repair of mandirs he contacted him and said, “Selwyn, I get mine, you go and get yours.”

He said people questioned Maharaj’s patriotism but he was a man who was “Trini to the bone” who did not want his ashes to be scatted in the Ganges in India but right here in the Gulf of Paria waters.

Cudjoe said Maharaj helped all to develop their national identity.

“Sat served his country by serving his people, but in so doing, he helped us all to develop our national identity and to recognise that Trinbagonianism comes in different forms and in different shapes, in different theological formulations and in varying religious alignments,” he said.

https://trinidadexpress.com/news/local/cudjoe-sat-was-t-t-s-martin-luther-king/article_e6679300-0b3b-11ea-a64c-7f2d10991c0f.html

The_Honourable
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby The_Honourable » November 20th, 2019, 12:53 am

Sat Maharaj to Martin Luther King? PNM talk radio going to be nuclear.

matr1x
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby matr1x » November 20th, 2019, 1:37 am

Rachel price fat jewels probably jiggling with fury.

Well when she not blowing someone to go to one of her "shows "

matr1x
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby matr1x » November 20th, 2019, 1:38 am

matr1x wrote:Rachel price fat jowels probably jiggling with fury.

Well when she not blowing someone to go to one of her "shows "

screwbash
Riding on 18's

Postby screwbash » November 20th, 2019, 3:37 am

Rovin wrote:^^^after he sang about kamla "she's royal" ..... when $$$ passin ppl does do anything

he blight she since. jus like when lara shake bas hand and since den he cyah bat good. not everything is for everybody.

shake d livin wake d dead
TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » November 20th, 2019, 4:55 am

when the man was alive he was not spoken about so highly.....might even get ah posthumous award next year

rspann
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rspann » November 20th, 2019, 6:58 am

The_Honourable wrote:Cro cro sing bout the man and all he have to show decades later is a government van from cepep :lol:

Nah the man have ah old Benz and boasting about it.

Redman
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Redman » November 20th, 2019, 7:25 am

http://www.trinidadandtobagonews.com/blog/?p=6403

The Cowshed Fable

By Dr. Selwyn R. Cudjoe
May 30, 2012

Dr. Selwyn R. CudjoeI want to congratulate my East Indian compatriots for the achievements they have made over the 167 years they have spent in Trinidad and Tobago and the enormous efforts they have made to carve out a space in these two beautiful islands in the West Indies. I also wish to congratulate Sat Maharaj for the herculean efforts he has made to improve the educational standards of his people and his determination to ensure that his people receive their rightful share of the national pie. When the history of the second half of the twentieth century is written I am certain he will take his place as one of the more outstanding Trinbagonians of the era.

I also wanted to thank Sat for inviting me to share in the Maha Sabha celebration of Indian Arrival Day and granting me the pleasure of meeting novelist Rambindranath Maharaj whom the Maha Sabha honored at their function for his literary achievements. Robin, a Robert Village Hindu School and Naparima College graduate, has made a name for himself in Canada. Sat compared his work to that of V. S. Naipaul but I am not in a position to critique that judgment since I have not read any of his novels. I intend to remedy that shortcoming in the very near future.

Many of the national luminaries of Indian descent, primarily government ministers, spoke with much enthusiasm about the sacrifices their forefathers and foremothers made to get them where they are today. They argued that those who went before carved the way for present achievers. Robin Maharaj took the position that their forebears completely disregarded their own sufferings confident that they were sacrificing themselves for the generations after them which raises the question: does any Indian generation ever live for itself?

As I listened to various speakers the whole theme of the evening revolved around the fabled nature of the cowshed; it being reported by all of the speakers that Dr. Eric Williams called the Hindu schools cowshed and look at what the cowsheds have produced? Sat Maharaj, the grandest luminary of all had to correct the younger ones by letting them know that when Dr. Williams called the Hindu schools cowshed, Badase Sagan Maraj, his father-in-law, declared: “It is better to educate a child in a cowshed than not to educate them at all.”

However, there is a problem with these apocryphal stories. In spite of their ethnic appeal they lose their real meaning as they are told from one generation to another. They are misconstrued and become uplifting fables which may have a moral but veer so far from the truth that anytime it is uttered it becomes yet another whip with which to beat the present generation of oppressors.

When Dr. Williams arrived on the scene in 1956 the conditions of the Hindu schools were quite deplorable as I presume the same was true of the non-Hindu schools. I went to Tacarigua E.C., a school that was built by enslaved Africans in 1838 and what in our days we called the “Cocoa House.” I went to that school from 1948 to 1954. It was just one open building with a large stage under which we placed the agricultural tools we used to till our school gardens that lay on the southern side of the Eastern Main Road near to the Vestry that was built in 1843.

In 1955 Badase was doing his best to build some schools for the Hindu children. Dr. Williams deplored the fact that the East Indian schools looked like cowsheds and vowed to do a better job of school building for all of the children, Hindu as well as Christian children, when he came into power. Although present Hindu lore has it that
Dr. Williams called the Hindu schools cowsheds he did not intend to denigrate Hindu schools or Hindu children. He merely sought to deplore the condition in which the education of our school children took place.

None of the speakers at the Dinner could forego the temptation to hit out at the PNM administration—read Black people—for all of the evils that the Black people had done to them. The only problem with such a narrative is that it only tells us part of the story rather than the whole story. In fact, the only way to understand what happened to East Indians between 1955 and 2010 is to tell the whole story; contextualize the issue; and opt for racial healing rather than fanning the flames of racial hatred in a subliminal manner.

One only has to compare the progress East Indians made in the society from 1917, the year in which indentureship ended, to 1955, the year when PNM came on the scene, with the progress East Indians made from 1955 to 2010 to understand the apocryphal nature of the cowshed tale. Use any yardstick and one would see that the cowshed story is only a fanciful story that is told from generation to generation to fan the flames of racial hatred and continue to remind the present generation that they really have an enemy when none is there. And while they do not name the enemy, it is inferred.

And this is why I appreciated the closing sentiments of Robin Maharaj’s response. “He warned East Indians present that they must be proud without being vain; celebratory without being jingoistic.” In this, I thought he hit the correct note. Although a historian may want to mark this present time in our history as the moment when the East Indians were fully inculcated and recognized in the society, it should not be used as an opportunity to emphasize their exclusivity but as a time to affirm their Trinbagonianness; a moment when the society opens its arms to welcome another strand of its many fabrics.

While we are at it, it may be wise to drop the cowshed fable. It only tends to divide rather than bring us together as a multi-ethnic society with all of the richness that such a society implies.

And yes, Happy East Indian Arrival Day!

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » November 20th, 2019, 7:31 am

Redman wrote:http://www.trinidadandtobagonews.com/blog/?p=6403

The Cowshed Fable

By Dr. Selwyn R. Cudjoe
May 30, 2012

Dr. Selwyn R. CudjoeI want to congratulate my East Indian compatriots for the achievements they have made over the 167 years they have spent in Trinidad and Tobago and the enormous efforts they have made to carve out a space in these two beautiful islands in the West Indies. I also wish to congratulate Sat Maharaj for the herculean efforts he has made to improve the educational standards of his people and his determination to ensure that his people receive their rightful share of the national pie. When the history of the second half of the twentieth century is written I am certain he will take his place as one of the more outstanding Trinbagonians of the era.

I also wanted to thank Sat for inviting me to share in the Maha Sabha celebration of Indian Arrival Day and granting me the pleasure of meeting novelist Rambindranath Maharaj whom the Maha Sabha honored at their function for his literary achievements. Robin, a Robert Village Hindu School and Naparima College graduate, has made a name for himself in Canada. Sat compared his work to that of V. S. Naipaul but I am not in a position to critique that judgment since I have not read any of his novels. I intend to remedy that shortcoming in the very near future.

Many of the national luminaries of Indian descent, primarily government ministers, spoke with much enthusiasm about the sacrifices their forefathers and foremothers made to get them where they are today. They argued that those who went before carved the way for present achievers. Robin Maharaj took the position that their forebears completely disregarded their own sufferings confident that they were sacrificing themselves for the generations after them which raises the question: does any Indian generation ever live for itself?

As I listened to various speakers the whole theme of the evening revolved around the fabled nature of the cowshed; it being reported by all of the speakers that Dr. Eric Williams called the Hindu schools cowshed and look at what the cowsheds have produced? Sat Maharaj, the grandest luminary of all had to correct the younger ones by letting them know that when Dr. Williams called the Hindu schools cowshed, Badase Sagan Maraj, his father-in-law, declared: “It is better to educate a child in a cowshed than not to educate them at all.”

However, there is a problem with these apocryphal stories. In spite of their ethnic appeal they lose their real meaning as they are told from one generation to another. They are misconstrued and become uplifting fables which may have a moral but veer so far from the truth that anytime it is uttered it becomes yet another whip with which to beat the present generation of oppressors.

When Dr. Williams arrived on the scene in 1956 the conditions of the Hindu schools were quite deplorable as I presume the same was true of the non-Hindu schools. I went to Tacarigua E.C., a school that was built by enslaved Africans in 1838 and what in our days we called the “Cocoa House.” I went to that school from 1948 to 1954. It was just one open building with a large stage under which we placed the agricultural tools we used to till our school gardens that lay on the southern side of the Eastern Main Road near to the Vestry that was built in 1843.

In 1955 Badase was doing his best to build some schools for the Hindu children. Dr. Williams deplored the fact that the East Indian schools looked like cowsheds and vowed to do a better job of school building for all of the children, Hindu as well as Christian children, when he came into power. Although present Hindu lore has it that
Dr. Williams called the Hindu schools cowsheds he did not intend to denigrate Hindu schools or Hindu children. He merely sought to deplore the condition in which the education of our school children took place.

None of the speakers at the Dinner could forego the temptation to hit out at the PNM administration—read Black people—for all of the evils that the Black people had done to them. The only problem with such a narrative is that it only tells us part of the story rather than the whole story. In fact, the only way to understand what happened to East Indians between 1955 and 2010 is to tell the whole story; contextualize the issue; and opt for racial healing rather than fanning the flames of racial hatred in a subliminal manner.

One only has to compare the progress East Indians made in the society from 1917, the year in which indentureship ended, to 1955, the year when PNM came on the scene, with the progress East Indians made from 1955 to 2010 to understand the apocryphal nature of the cowshed tale. Use any yardstick and one would see that the cowshed story is only a fanciful story that is told from generation to generation to fan the flames of racial hatred and continue to remind the present generation that they really have an enemy when none is there. And while they do not name the enemy, it is inferred.

And this is why I appreciated the closing sentiments of Robin Maharaj’s response. “He warned East Indians present that they must be proud without being vain; celebratory without being jingoistic.” In this, I thought he hit the correct note. Although a historian may want to mark this present time in our history as the moment when the East Indians were fully inculcated and recognized in the society, it should not be used as an opportunity to emphasize their exclusivity but as a time to affirm their Trinbagonianness; a moment when the society opens its arms to welcome another strand of its many fabrics.

While we are at it, it may be wise to drop the cowshed fable. It only tends to divide rather than bring us together as a multi-ethnic society with all of the richness that such a society implies.

And yes, Happy East Indian Arrival Day!

So how many Hindu schools did the PNM build ?

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » November 20th, 2019, 7:34 am

Good article, and research from an actual historian! Lots of people like to distort the stories they think they heard about our history, but here a real academician historian who has the authority on the subject has recorded the facts on paper, and it shall be known thus.

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » November 20th, 2019, 7:40 am

maj. tom wrote:Good article, and research from an actual historian! Lots of people like to distort the stories they think they heard about our history, but here a real academician historian who has the authority on the subject has recorded the facts on paper, and it shall be known thus.

And the question remains how many Hindu schools did the PNM build ?

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”