Forums

Gas prices in Trinidad & Tobago

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Re: Gas prices to raise, again.

Postby kamakazi » May 1st, 2022, 2:16 pm

daring dragoon wrote:all this talk about how much km of a tank of gas makes no blasted sense. if you tyres soft you will burn more gas etc. keep your tyre inflated to manufacture specification and not 32 lbs as everyone puts. clean injectors, reduce wind resistance etc. small things will extend your gas. turn off AC or at least clean the evap, condenser, ac filter. close off the open area such as back of wagons, panel vans, them area cooling for no reason. move from 215 tyres to 165. less load on the engine to rotate the tyres as less tyre surface on the road for resistance. you cant do anything about the gas price but you can change small things to be more efficient.

The tyre surface (contact patch) on the road is going to be about the same.
differences will come about from tyre pressures, tyre constriction and tyre weight

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » May 1st, 2022, 3:09 pm

Very correct:

1. Make sure your tyre pressures are as per manufacturer's recommendations. More resistance = more fuel burned.
2. Those heavy rims need to go and replace with factory rims wrapped in tyres with factory specs. Heavier wheels burn more fuel.
3. Remove unnecessary weight from your ride. No need to carry your whole closet, tools and 2 12" subs etc...lose the weight and watch your mileage increase.
4. Service your ride with the correct replacement parts. OEM air filters, oil filters, spark/glow plugs and the correct body of oil.
5. Make sure your wheels are aligned

I'm sure there are more steps to follow but you follow the above and watch your vehicle return stellar range.

We also need to be less heavy on the throttle. This mashing down and hard mashing of brakes is also a range killer. Take the opportunity when on the open highways to keep your revs low and just cruise (on the left lane of course). 80kmph returns excellent range.

I understand some fuel treatments are not gimmicks so you may also want to consider same and see how it does for your engine.

Dizzy28
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Dizzy28 » May 1st, 2022, 5:40 pm

Speaking of tyre pressure functioning air pumps at NP stations becoming a rare thing. Went Guppy's and Ramco in Trincity Thu and Fri...nothing. tried back Ramco this morning ..nada.

Dave
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Dave » May 1st, 2022, 5:50 pm

Seems when you are looking for a working pump all seems to be non functional at the same time. Then when you get one working, all seem to work.

teems1
punchin NOS

Postby teems1 » May 1st, 2022, 5:52 pm

Dizzy28 wrote:Speaking of tyre pressure functioning air pumps at NP stations becoming a rare thing. Went Guppy's and Ramco in Trincity Thu and Fri...nothing. tried back Ramco this morning ..nada.
X2

The one in Sun Plaza seems to be out of commission also.

redmanjp
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby redmanjp » May 1st, 2022, 6:13 pm

agent007 wrote:Very correct:

1. Make sure your tyre pressures are as per manufacturer's recommendations. More resistance = more fuel burned.
2. Those heavy rims need to go and replace with factory rims wrapped in tyres with factory specs. Heavier wheels burn more fuel.
3. Remove unnecessary weight from your ride. No need to carry your whole closet, tools and 2 12" subs etc...lose the weight and watch your mileage increase.
4. Service your ride with the correct replacement parts. OEM air filters, oil filters, spark/glow plugs and the correct body of oil.
5. Make sure your wheels are aligned

I'm sure there are more steps to follow but you follow the above and watch your vehicle return stellar range.

We also need to be less heavy on the throttle. This mashing down and hard mashing of brakes is also a range killer. Take the opportunity when on the open highways to keep your revs low and just cruise (on the left lane of course). 80kmph returns excellent range.

I understand some fuel treatments are not gimmicks so you may also want to consider same and see how it does for your engine.

good advice. my old Y10 AD does go into overdrive at around 80 as well so if i stay just above that like 85 i would get good mileage. not sure about where the spot is in newer vehicles.

thinking of buying 1 of those tax free hybrids - anyone knows if any dealers taking preorders now?

S_2NR
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby S_2NR » May 1st, 2022, 7:26 pm

Dizzy28 wrote:Speaking of tyre pressure functioning air pumps at NP stations becoming a rare thing. Went Guppy's and Ramco in Trincity Thu and Fri...nothing. tried back Ramco this morning ..nada.

The solution to this is get your own compressor. Affordable ones on Amazon. Then you can forget all about that gas station drama.

MaxPower
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby MaxPower » May 1st, 2022, 7:46 pm

Anyone in this day and age who does not have tyre pressure gauges, tyre compressors, jacks, jumper cables and tool kits etc in their vehicles should park up their car and take the bus.

DMan7
punchin NOS

Postby DMan7 » May 1st, 2022, 8:11 pm

MaxPower wrote:Anyone in this day and age who does not have tyre pressure gauges, tyre compressors, jacks, jumper cables and tool kits etc in their vehicles should park up their car and take the bus.

Kinda irrelevant in this day and age too with free 24/7 roadside assistance that some of these insurance companies give you come bundled with your insurance fees.

ProtonPowder
Riding on 18's

Postby ProtonPowder » May 1st, 2022, 8:18 pm

S_2NR wrote:

The solution to this is get your own compressor. Affordable ones on Amazon. Then you can forget all about that gas station drama.

I have a lil black and decker about 3 years now, plugs into the 12v/cigarette lighter port, got it in allied.

Usually put it to use every 3-4 weeks, only bought because I was tired of the nearby gas stations never having a functioning air pump.

hindian
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby hindian » May 1st, 2022, 8:47 pm

I bought an 8 gallon Campbell Hausfeld about 4 years ago for home use with 50 feet of hose an air chuck and pressure guage because I got tired of looking for a working air pump at those gas stations and when you do find one there are usually a lot of cars waiting to use it. In hindsight, a pancake type compressor would have done the trick same way but I wanted to get into painting my own stuff something I eh do yet lol

S_2NR
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby S_2NR » May 1st, 2022, 9:27 pm

DMan7 wrote:
MaxPower wrote:Anyone in this day and age who does not have tyre pressure gauges, tyre compressors, jacks, jumper cables and tool kits etc in their vehicles should park up their car and take the bus.

Kinda irrelevant in this day and age too with free 24/7 roadside assistance that some of these insurance companies give you come bundled with your insurance fees.

U waiting on roadside assistance to jump start a battery or change a tyre?

Dizzy28
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Dizzy28 » May 1st, 2022, 9:28 pm

Got through with air by Sun Plaza this evening.

DMan7
punchin NOS

Postby DMan7 » May 1st, 2022, 9:45 pm

S_2NR wrote:
DMan7 wrote:

How you jump starting a battery without another car present with a battery to jump start it? These 24/7 roadside assistance people come with everything fully prepared which I doubt you'll have in the trunk of your car. You also get free towing service as well as part of that 24/7 roadside assistance too. Unless you have something in your trunk to tow your car?

S_2NR
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby S_2NR » May 1st, 2022, 10:23 pm

99% of the time I had a dead battery, it was in a public car park so getting a jump wasn't difficult. Just pull out jumper cables from the trunk and ask someone for a jump. It ain't rocket science pal.

Tow? How towing come into the conversation? You will tow a car for a flat tyre?

If you have a serious issue with your car to warrant a tow, roadside assistance is definitely the way to go.

redmanjp
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby redmanjp » May 1st, 2022, 10:28 pm

thing is a lot of ppl who own modern cars would tell u giving a jump start might damage their vehicle due to modern electronics or something so. so in that case the roadside assistance i would expect have a battery charger.

hustla_ambition101
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby hustla_ambition101 » May 1st, 2022, 11:10 pm

Have portable multipurpose charger/compressor selling. Makes no sense to wait half hour or more depending on traffic for roadside when you can diy.....

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 88sins » May 2nd, 2022, 6:25 am

DMan7 wrote:
S_2NR wrote:
DMan7 wrote:

How you jump starting a battery without another car present with a battery to jump start it?
These 24/7 roadside assistance people come with everything fully prepared which I doubt you'll have in the trunk of your car. You also get free towing service as well as part of that 24/7 roadside assistance too. Unless you have something in your trunk to tow your car?

Easy enough, I keep a small 17ah jump-starter battery with a set of short cables in the trunk for exactly that purpose, right next to the jack and air compressor. Usually cycle it once a month to make sure it holding a full charge. I also keep a small LED headlamp in the glove box as well, with a few spare fuses and a multimeter.

As a driver, it don't hurt you if you are prepared for small emergency situations that you can fix on your own. Imagine you driving at night and your lights cut out. You gonna prefer to wait 30 minutes to an hour for roadside assistance to come tow your ride, or you think it would be easier to just change the blown fuse and get moving?

Only real reason to call roadside assistance imho is serious mechanical failure, or accident where the vehicle so badly damaged that it can't be driven safely, or the driver is unable to physically drive for some reason.

timothymcdavid
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby timothymcdavid » May 2nd, 2022, 9:56 am

You need to be careful keeping car jumper packs in your car they dont like it being too hot at all ... Battery's can swell up (I know this first hand) and there can be a risk of fire. Solution simple pack it in your bag yeah the bigger ones heavy but we got big people on this forum not lill boys and girls so you all can fetch lill weight.

Kronik
18 pounds of Boost

Postby Kronik » May 2nd, 2022, 1:08 pm

timothymcdavid wrote:You need to be careful keeping car jumper packs in your car they dont like it being too hot at all ... Battery's can swell up (I know this first hand) and there can be a risk of fire. Solution simple pack it in your bag yeah the bigger ones heavy but we got big people on this forum not lill boys and girls so you all can fetch lill weight.
I bought a insulated case for my jumper pack, holds the battery, cables and charging accessories, even in direct sunlight the battery doesn't get hot. It's gets used a lot more often than you would think

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » May 2nd, 2022, 2:08 pm

Kronik wrote:
timothymcdavid wrote:You need to be careful keeping car jumper packs in your car they dont like it being too hot at all ... Battery's can swell up (I know this first hand) and there can be a risk of fire. Solution simple pack it in your bag yeah the bigger ones heavy but we got big people on this forum not lill boys and girls so you all can fetch lill weight.
I bought a insulated case for my jumper pack, holds the battery, cables and charging accessories, even in direct sunlight the battery doesn't get hot. It's gets used a lot more often than you would think
Tropical climate in-vehicle storage always results in capacity loss. Risk of fire is minimal but increases as li-ion batteries degrade.

MaxPower
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby MaxPower » May 2nd, 2022, 7:53 pm

Imagine big hard back men calling roadside assistance to change a tyre.

j.o.e
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby j.o.e » May 2nd, 2022, 8:45 pm

MaxPower wrote:Imagine big hard back men calling roadside assistance to change a tyre.

Very often I’m dressed formally. White shirt, tie etc. if I’m on my way home no problem I’ll change the tyre but if I’m on my way to the office or event I’m calling roadside every time and sitting in the ac while they change it too. I’ve done it before and I’ll do it again if I have to

MaxPower
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby MaxPower » May 2nd, 2022, 9:04 pm

j.o.e wrote:
MaxPower wrote:Imagine big hard back men calling roadside assistance to change a tyre.

Very often I’m dressed formally. White shirt, tie etc. if I’m on my way home no problem I’ll change the tyre but if I’m on my way to the office or event I’m calling roadside every time and sitting in the ac while they change it too. I’ve done it before and I’ll do it again if I have to

yeh j.o.e, fair enough i guess.

Regardless of what i am wearing or where i am heading, i always have a clean old shirt and pants in the car and a lil toiletry kit in case i have to do some roadside work myself.

I not calling no roadside assistance to give them no sad story about oh i cant do it myself because i don’t want my clothes to get dirty.

I just do it bro.

DMan7
punchin NOS

Postby DMan7 » May 2nd, 2022, 10:03 pm

Too much false pride in here boi....

j.o.e
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby j.o.e » May 2nd, 2022, 10:15 pm

MaxPower wrote:
j.o.e wrote:

Regardless of what i am wearing or where i am heading, i always have a clean old shirt and pants in the car and a lil toiletry kit in case i have to do some roadside work myself.

I not calling no roadside assistance to give them no sad story about oh i cant do it myself because i don’t want my clothes to get dirty.

I just do it bro.

I will hadda bathe ….. roadside for it.

MaxPower
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby MaxPower » May 2nd, 2022, 10:16 pm

^ aite pa, no scene man

Chimera
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Chimera » May 3rd, 2022, 7:17 am

MaxPower wrote:
j.o.e wrote:

I just do it bro.
Lol sad story when you call roadside assistance? Is not a favor you begging them for. They being paid for it by your insurance company.

hover11
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby hover11 » May 3rd, 2022, 8:04 am

j.o.e wrote:

Next thing man gonna say is he dont wanna break a nail yes....bro you're a man, I wear shirt, jacket and tie and if push come to shove I rolling up my sleeves and changing my Tyre. It have sum called dry cleaning.

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » May 3rd, 2022, 8:08 am

1. Lots of newer cars don't come with spare tires. There's a sticker on the back glass stating "No Spare." This is to increase fuel efficiency by lowering the weight.

2. All insurance offer FREE roadside assistance. Use it, get to a tire shop, do the job correctly, get home safe.

3. This is a big one that made both manufacturers and insurance companies change to the above models as standard: https://www.google.com/search?q=killed+while+changing+tire and just scroll down the list of results. Who wants to be personally added to this Google search? (only an idiot). Not just that, but the drivers on the left lane will have to slow down and sometimes swerve a bit to the right to create a safe zone for the jacked up vehicle on the shoulder lane. This creates more traffic and more hazards for other drivers on the highway at high speed.

Hundreds of people are killed in the world every year doing this. Sometimes there are no safe places to stop and no room to change a tire safely. Some stretches of roads now are designed with no shoulder with signs saying No Stopping. There is a reason why this job has always been on those tv shows "world's most dangerous jobs." It's safer too for the tow truck driver to just tow to a tire shop, rather than the older business model of change your tire on the highway for you while you wait.

This has nothing about "be a man!" Whoever said that is an idiot. Don't change your tire on the road, call Roadside Assistance for FREE and get safely to a tire shop. This is important to note for new young male drivers who don't know better and think that "be a man" idiot knows anything.

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”