TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

Question for wood working guys (DIY wooden FightStick)

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

EFFECTIC DESIGNS
TriniTuner 24-7

Question for wood working guys (DIY wooden FightStick)

Postby EFFECTIC DESIGNS » March 7th, 2016, 2:41 pm

I am interested in making something like this.

But where would sell a big slab of wood like that though? not glued or anything but solid wood like what he is using in the video? Average price and location I could get something like that?

And would I need to buy a router or could a chisel do the job? I like the sound of it, its quiet and rock solid you can hear how solid that is when he hits the buttons at the end.

Need to build a nice stick with "bat Top" korean lever for Street Fighter 5 and upcoming Killer Instinct thats coming to PC march 29th. I am getting the Lever, buttons and PCB on focusattack website. So its this shell thats what is really keeping me back. I am also considering using Ply Wood the thick ones and white pine for the sides but am not sure its going to feel as wonderful as this unibody slab of wood.

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: Question for wood working guys (DIY wooden FightStick)

Postby timelapse » March 14th, 2016, 2:49 pm

1x12 rough pitch pine, sand it yourself.
or check a saw mill...

X2
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby X2 » March 14th, 2016, 10:37 pm

Many ways to do something like this. (did not watch vid)... a friend built one with plexi.

You could even glue together 2 x 1/2" Ply (1st grade) and sand, seal, sand, lacquer, etc...

EFFECTIC DESIGNS
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby EFFECTIC DESIGNS » March 15th, 2016, 1:26 am

Hey thanks I went to EZEE Sawmill in Arima today and ordered a 1/2 inch 2 feet by 1 feet Mahogany wood.

I am wondering if 1/2 inch thickness was too much but I heard HAPP joysticks have a lot of height so should not be affected too much. I wonder what thickness the panels are on all those arcades locally.

*KRONIK*
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *KRONIK* » March 15th, 2016, 6:28 am

Jusy doh forget to update with pics when u finish eh!

DVSTT
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby DVSTT » March 15th, 2016, 8:27 am

In for pics.

EFFECTIC DESIGNS
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby EFFECTIC DESIGNS » March 15th, 2016, 10:25 am

Will be sure to post pics once its done, looking to spend as much money as needed to get it looking as good as possible. So will be buying aluminum turntable feet and stuff for it.

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » March 15th, 2016, 11:01 am

i sure it have companies online u cud have just bought a good ready made 1 instead of going thru all that work ...

ru$$ell
30 pounds of Boost

Postby ru$$ell » March 15th, 2016, 1:22 pm

EFFECTIC DESIGNS wrote:Hey thanks I went to EZEE Sawmill in Arima today and ordered a 1/2 inch 2 feet by 1 feet Mahogany wood.

I am wondering if 1/2 inch thickness was too much but I heard HAPP joysticks have a lot of height so should not be affected too much. I wonder what thickness the panels are on all those arcades locally.

you should be safe up to 3/4". Lemme know how it turns out.Also have fun wiring that :D

hoverauto
Sweet on this forum

Postby hoverauto » March 15th, 2016, 4:13 pm

Search for a fella named Miguel Escovalez on Facebook and message him. He builds fighting sticks and cabinets.

EFFECTIC DESIGNS
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby EFFECTIC DESIGNS » March 15th, 2016, 11:12 pm

^ ru$$ell builds some really nice stuff aswell. Well good to know 1/2 inch won't be an issue. :D

I buying the Industrias Lorenzo Euro Stick. Industrias Lorenzo is the company that made the original quality HAPP sticks, since happ went suzo in China I eh feeling to chance them so will order one of these

https://www.focusattack.com/joysticks/p ... -joystick/

Just need to decide on the color. lol

EFFECTIC DESIGNS
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby EFFECTIC DESIGNS » March 15th, 2016, 11:27 pm

Rovin's Audio wrote:i sure it have companies online u cud have just bought a good ready made 1 instead of going thru all that work ...

Well its true I could have ordered one online. Which will cost me over $200 USD which will then cost in total over $2000 TTD like those mad catz.

Now Hori has an issue there is literally no palm rest on their sticks, if you look at it the stick has palm rest only designed for a 3 year old. Again its an Asian thing they got small hands, you seeing the picture now?

Then pre built sticks have the actual sick too close to the buttons, and I also don't like 8 button layout. I prefer 6 button layout as the whole point of a arcade stick is to quickly tap 2 buttons that simulates a special 1 button move or tap 3 buttons that simulate another different special skill. There isn't any need for 8 buttons on a fightstick.

Building a stick will also cost me a LOT cheaper, I spend like $90 in Mahogany wood that will do the top panel and also the sides. Not sure what I will use for the bottom as yet, the parts on focusattack is only costing me $60 USD or $600 TTD. So lets say $700 plus vanish and sand paper and a 30mm bit for the drill. Lets put it at $800 for a top of the line fightstick customized for my size of hands.

Thats a saving of $1300 TT. Thats a LOT!! cause my brother has the tools so that free. Plus Mahogany wood is also a lot better than plastic or metal.

EFFECTIC DESIGNS
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby EFFECTIC DESIGNS » August 26th, 2016, 5:21 pm

Ok in the end the custom stick was quite an issue due to the Sanwa Parts I had ordered the actual joystick shaft was not long enough to be used for a wood design its designed for very slim metal plates. I ordered 8 Sanwa Buttons and the Sanwa Joystick they were a little pricey offcourse but they are industrial grade Japanese arcade parts so I guess they are worth it. Sanwa is considered the most reliable brand.

So what I had to do was either buy a custom plexi from art hobbies or build my own somehow in the end I opted for the Qanba Q1 fightstick since this entire stick is about the same price or cheaper than an empty case from sites like Art Hobbies or others made in USA.

So I bought the Qanba Q1 and replaced all the stock parts with Sanwa. Here are some pics i went with the best color combo I could think off it looks like an absolute beauty in person. Games I play with it are strictly Street Fighter 3 3rd Strike on FightCade, Street Fighter 5 PC, Mortal Kombat X and Killer Instinct PC. The table clamps are an absolute beauty I could never live without these they only come with the Qanba Q1 so no need for your lap

I do have to use JoytoKey wrapper to allow it to work for Killer Instinct and SF5 as it is a PS3 stick afterall but works fine.

TOTAL PRICE was $1300 TT for everything. Maybe I could sell back the Original Qanba stock buttons and stick on tuner

*KRONIK*
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *KRONIK* » August 26th, 2016, 6:30 pm

Lemme geh a lil peong on game nah

fouljuice
Shifting into 6th

Postby fouljuice » August 26th, 2016, 6:48 pm

I swinging thru to peong a lil Tekken 7 (when it release on pc)

EFFECTIC DESIGNS
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby EFFECTIC DESIGNS » August 26th, 2016, 7:40 pm

yeah Tekken 7 is possibly the best looking fighter of this Generation. I plan on getting it though I usually prefer 2.5D side scroller Fighters

Right now Mortal Mombat XL is free for the weekend on Steam but its strictly online because they doing a beta testing as this is the first time its on PC so if you good you can download it free and try it out.

eliteauto
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby eliteauto » August 27th, 2016, 12:36 am

I read the thread title and thought this was about stick fighting

vct17inch
Street 2NR

Re: RE: Re: Question for wood working guys (DIY wooden FightStick)

Postby vct17inch » August 27th, 2016, 4:56 am

EFFECTIC DESIGNS wrote:Ok in the end the custom stick was quite an issue due to the Sanwa Parts I had ordered the actual joystick shaft was not long enough to be used for a wood design its designed for very slim metal plates. I ordered 8 Sanwa Buttons and the Sanwa Joystick they were a little pricey offcourse but they are industrial grade Japanese arcade parts so I guess they are worth it. Sanwa is considered the most reliable brand.

So what I had to do was either buy a custom plexi from art hobbies or build my own somehow in the end I opted for the Qanba Q1 fightstick since this entire stick is about the same price or cheaper than an empty case from sites like Art Hobbies or others made in USA.

So I bought the Qanba Q1 and replaced all the stock parts with Sanwa. Here are some pics i went with the best color combo I could think off it looks like an absolute beauty in person. Games I play with it are strictly Street Fighter 3 3rd Strike on FightCade, Street Fighter 5 PC, Mortal Kombat X and Killer Instinct PC. The table clamps are an absolute beauty I could never live without these they only come with the Qanba Q1 so no need for your lap

I do have to use JoytoKey wrapper to allow it to work for Killer Instinct and SF5 as it is a PS3 stick afterall but works fine.

TOTAL PRICE was $1300 TT for everything. Maybe I could sell back the Original Qanba stock buttons and stick on tuner

Anyone knows where in Trinidad sells the transparent acrylic used to make the top of that joystick?

ruffneck_12
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby ruffneck_12 » August 27th, 2016, 12:22 pm

eliteauto wrote:I read the thread title and thought this was about stick fighting

same, I was gonna post pics of my granfadda fighting stick

fouljuice
Shifting into 6th

Postby fouljuice » August 28th, 2016, 4:09 pm

TheOwnerPO
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby TheOwnerPO » August 28th, 2016, 5:23 pm

EFFECTIC DESIGNS wrote:Ok in the end the custom stick was quite an issue due to the Sanwa Parts I had ordered the actual joystick shaft was not long enough to be used for a wood design its designed for very slim metal plates. I ordered 8 Sanwa Buttons and the Sanwa Joystick they were a little pricey offcourse but they are industrial grade Japanese arcade parts so I guess they are worth it. Sanwa is considered the most reliable brand.

NICE... :D ...now the real question is how can you make money from it.

EFFECTIC DESIGNS
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby EFFECTIC DESIGNS » August 29th, 2016, 1:49 pm

^ Unless I go to a tournament with a $100,000 US prize pool and beat Daigo or Infiltration or Justin Wong then no I not making money from that. LOL

And considering who Daigo is no thanks

EFFECTIC DESIGNS
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby EFFECTIC DESIGNS » August 29th, 2016, 1:58 pm

Ain't any easier in Mortal Kombat Either LOL

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”