Forums

LF: For a place to sharpen some blades/knives

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

dougla_boy
TriniTuner 24-7

LF: For a place to sharpen some blades/knives

Postby dougla_boy » February 16th, 2016, 12:50 pm

Looking for a place to get some blades sharpened and set. Know any place that does it? Tried doing it myself, but i lack the patience and some skills to do it.....any help would be appreciated

side note, this isn't to commit any crimes...its for fishing....

ruffneck_12
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: LF: For a place to sharpen some blades/knives

Postby ruffneck_12 » February 16th, 2016, 12:54 pm

haha you lack the skills

U RACK DISIPRINE

MaxPower
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby MaxPower » February 16th, 2016, 1:00 pm

SHERON???

Is that you?

X_Factor
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby X_Factor » February 16th, 2016, 1:47 pm

using this for some time now and it works pretty good
http://www.amazon.com/Smiths-PP1-Pocket ... +sharpener

recently got this for the serrated ginsu kitchen knives
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00VQK6D3G/ref ... B001CQTLJM

RBphoto
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby RBphoto » February 17th, 2016, 8:51 am

Stainless steel knives are a beyotch to sharpen. Hope it is carbon steel blades you are using.

dougla_boy
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby dougla_boy » February 17th, 2016, 10:15 am

sadly, no....its stainless steel.......

1UZFE
punchin NOS

Postby 1UZFE » February 17th, 2016, 10:21 am

Go in d machine shop. If not buy a file n start.

zulu atomic
Street 2NR

Postby zulu atomic » February 17th, 2016, 10:29 am

i does use a angle grinder,it take skills but little patience :D

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 88sins » February 17th, 2016, 10:40 am

RBphoto wrote:Stainless steel knives are a beyotch to sharpen. Hope it is carbon steel blades you are using.

its a skill son, some ppl have it, some don't. seems you don't

zulu atomic wrote:i does use a angle grinder,it take skills but little patience :D

good for shaping the edge, but to set an edge with a razor finish either a strop or whetstone will be needed.

db, what size blades we talkin here? cutlass or kitchen knife or pocket knife? Size & intended use of said blade will dictate how sharp it needs to be.

RBphoto
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby RBphoto » February 17th, 2016, 10:52 am

Um.. ok.. but stainless is a lot harder to sharpen properly than carbon steel blade. Can't just put it on a rotary stone or grinder without it discoloring and pitting.

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby timelapse » February 17th, 2016, 10:57 am

I use rocks that i found up toco side to sharpen my fishing knife.rest the rock on a flat surface.hold the knife at 45 degrees against the rock and make slicing motions.Check youtube for vid that describe this

dougla_boy
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby dougla_boy » February 17th, 2016, 10:58 am

88sins wrote:db, what size blades we talkin here? cutlass or kitchen knife or pocket knife? Size & intended use of said blade will dictate how sharp it needs to be.

is for my knives i use for my fishing nuh bai

i have one of them diving knives, the blade is about 8- 10 inches long....

and i have another set...its a handle with interchangeable blades.....one is an axe, another is about 6 inches, and another is about 9-10 inches....i use them for when i make a trip fishing nuh....hence why i wanted them sharpened

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 88sins » February 17th, 2016, 1:17 pm

so they need to be sharp & hold an edge but not necessarily razor sharp

file & whetstone for it. use d file fir the initial shaping & edge, then the whetstone to smooth it. If you can't find a whetstone 800 or ^ grit wet/dry emery on a flat surface works well too. Just remember to keep the stone/emery wet, & if you looking for a razor edge don't wash off the slag as it develops.
keep the angle you rubbing the edge at consistent & using smooth, long, steady, firm strokes is the key.
dis is ting yuh could do for yuhself easy, after shaping sharpening shouldnt take more than a 15 minutes for each blade.

jackal
Riding on 18's

Postby jackal » February 27th, 2016, 11:24 am

It have a place in POS, Lavantill area.

If you leaving POS on the eastern main road, just before Safetec, on the left hand side it have a road, go up inside and take a right, it would be the small building, Acme is the name.

They do knives, saw blades, router bits, shaper cutters, band saw blades, hand saws...... just about anything that needs sharpening (steel and carbide).

I does leave Rio Claro and go and drop off my blades to get sharpen there, the price real reasonable for example, a 40 tooth (10") saw blade (carbide) is about $55, a new blade is like $350 in a hardware, a router bit is like 30+ depending on diameter, did a 3" diameter, 4 cutter panel cutter, was like $75 + vat.

jackal
Riding on 18's

Postby jackal » February 27th, 2016, 11:25 am

It have a place in POS, Lavantill area.

If you leaving POS on the eastern main road, just before Safetec, on the left hand side it have a road, go up inside and take a right, it would be the small building, Acme is the name.

They do knives, saw blades, router bits, shaper cutters, band saw blades, hand saws...... just about anything that needs sharpening (steel and carbide).

I does leave Rio Claro and go and drop off my blades to get sharpen there, the price real reasonable for example, a 40 tooth (10") saw blade (carbide) is about $55, a new blade is like $350 in a hardware, a router bit is like 30+ depending on diameter, did a 3" diameter, 4 cutter panel cutter, was like $75 + vat.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » February 27th, 2016, 2:58 pm

I thought the carbon steel which rusts was harder than stainless...

Sandpaper on a piece of hard rubber mat is an easy way to sharpen
YouTube has tons of tutorials

meccalli
punchin NOS

Postby meccalli » February 27th, 2016, 3:49 pm

It is and it does sharpen easier but it doesn't hold an edge like high carbon steels. The problem with stainless steels is that the term encompasses all forms of chromium enhanced steels and the multitude of other metals like cobalt that are added across the spectrum. Some cheap 'stainless' knives are impossible to sharpen unlike a standardised 440 blank. I have a 440 blade that sharpens easily and holds an edge like a champ.

zakz
Riding on 13's

Postby zakz » November 8th, 2021, 9:31 am

This thread is the #1 google result for 'trinidad knife sharpening'. So I thought i'd revive it to spread some info.

I recently opened Trinidad's first knife sharpening business: Zak's Knife Sharpening. We do kitchen knives, pocket knives, cutlasses and more. For all you home cooks, professional chefs, fishermen/hunters, and everyone else.

@zaksharpening on instagram, facebook, and tiktok. Based in St Anns, Port of Spain. :)

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » November 8th, 2021, 10:17 am

good stuff

zakz wrote:This thread is the #1 google result for 'trinidad knife sharpening'. So I thought i'd revive it to spread some info.

I recently opened Trinidad's first knife sharpening business: Zak's Knife Sharpening. We do kitchen knives, pocket knives, cutlasses and more. For all you home cooks, professional chefs, fishermen/hunters, and everyone else.

@zaksharpening on instagram, facebook, and tiktok. Based in St Anns, Port of Spain. :)

meccalli
punchin NOS

Postby meccalli » November 8th, 2021, 5:12 pm

zakz wrote:This thread is the #1 google result for 'trinidad knife sharpening'. So I thought i'd revive it to spread some info.

Awesome, I prefer to sharpen myself. But it'd be nice to have this service available for others.
Some tips in this vid I made a little while back for you guys looking to shape up your dull tools. I shave with it at the end of the vid, saves alot on having to buy razors..I can shave with most of the knives in my kitchen actually :mrgreen:

abducted
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby abducted » November 8th, 2021, 7:47 pm

What is the advantage of paying to sharpen a knife, when you can easily sharpen at home, does your method last longer, or your knowledge of how to sharpen different kinds of blades better,

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » November 8th, 2021, 7:49 pm

depends on what you define as “sharp”

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby timelapse » November 8th, 2021, 8:03 pm

Anybody have experience sharpening a straight razor?

widdyphuck
18 pounds of Boost

Postby widdyphuck » November 8th, 2021, 9:22 pm

timelapse wrote:Anybody have experience sharpening a straight razor?
Buy one. It's cheaper.

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 88sins » November 8th, 2021, 9:28 pm

Couple questions.
True straight razor?
You got a strop with it? If not you can make one easy.

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » November 8th, 2021, 11:30 pm

*is st anns the wisest place to site a knife sharpening shop* :turn-l:

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby timelapse » November 9th, 2021, 6:59 am

88sins wrote:

Couple questions.
True straight razor?
True straight razor.Did not get a strop, nor can I find one locally.It needs proper sharpening.The blade was not live when I got it

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 88sins » November 9th, 2021, 8:01 am

timelapse wrote:
88sins wrote:

Couple questions.
True straight razor?
True straight razor.Did not get a strop, nor can I find one locally.It needs proper sharpening.The blade was not live when I got it

get 2 thick untreated leather straps, about 30" longby 3"-4" wide, attach one end to an anchor point, on each one, and the other end you hold. make sure that the surfaces on both sides are flat when stropping.
to one side of one strop, a apply a thin layer of medium grade polishing/lapping compound, and on the other side add a thin layer of fine polishing compound. then strop away.

Use the treated one first if the edge truly rounded. Medium compound side first, then switch over to the fine side. Finish with the untreated one on the coarse side first for a few passes, the on the smooth side till you get the edge you want.

zakz
Riding on 13's

Postby zakz » November 13th, 2021, 8:53 am

abducted wrote:

What is the advantage of paying to sharpen a knife, when you can easily sharpen at home, does your method last longer, or your knowledge of how to sharpen different kinds of blades better,

Hi. So with restaurants and chefs they dont have the time to self sharpen. So i’d get 10-30 knives to work on. At a time. In addition i repair chips on the edge and broken tips. So that’s an added benefit.

For home owners, fishermen, hunters etc, they don’t have or want the know-how to do it. And i guarantee a sharper edge than those pull through sharpeners.
People don’t mind paying $30 for a sharp edge rather than buying the sharpening supplies and learning how. As always, convenience is worthy.

zakz
Riding on 13's

Postby zakz » November 13th, 2021, 8:54 am

timelapse wrote:
88sins wrote:

Couple questions.
True straight razor?

Can you dm me on ig? I can see what i can do. Zaksharpening

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”