Forums

Choosing a Job

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

SuperiorMan
punchin NOS

Re: Choosing a Job

Postby SuperiorMan » April 25th, 2021, 10:52 am

death365 wrote:Plenty to say here but I'll still to the 2 questions.

1. Op go to the US stay 5 to 7 years, come back as a expert and consult d f outa trini. The exoirences that you will get up there is superior to the limited one in sweet T&T

2. Always choose programming / computer science but again if u really want to grow in the field get exp in states or Canada and not study so hard to become a "IT" person in trini and yuh job is to reset passwords and add printers to people computers

The brass tax is yuh needs to get 15 + years expirence to be considered a expert in field of study but you can shorten it if you are employed by a progressive modern org, which don't really exist in T&T. COLD HARD FACTS!

Why do you say always choose programming/computer science over med? Is it because the field is so oversaturated here?

widdyphuck
18 pounds of Boost

Postby widdyphuck » April 25th, 2021, 10:55 am

SuperiorMan wrote:
nervewrecker wrote:I wasn't the best in econ and entrepreneurship but I did learn a thing or two and helped my gf then study for her business management degree.

Look for something that is in abundance. Look for something where you are needed. Look for something where there aren't much specialized people in esp if there is an aged group of experts. Most of the aged ones can't cope with new technology giving you an upper hand.

Learn people skills. Psychology is a good place to start.

Electrical engineering is a field that opens a world of opportunities. Just about everything works with electricty. Specialize in a field and market yourself.

Customer service is something that sucks in Trinidad and simply as guaranteeing that gives you an edge. Don't bite off more than you can chew.

And last but not least, as a popular timer taught me, many of the fields that a lot of people view as below them are ripe for the picking. He markets himself by giving himself an edge over the competition and taking advantage of the opportunities that some can't see. He exploits the constraints that limits most to give him the upper hand and all I can hear is his brilliance in his voice. Also, don't live beyond what you can afford. You trying to afford a lifestyle to impress who exactly? Set the trend. I think his name in green if I not mistaken.

When I had now started in PETROTRIN and spent a few weeks under one of the best in hvac in their santa flora hvac department I noticed just about every house we pass by has an ac. Just about every business place has an ac.
Everyone has a fridge.
Restaurants and groceries have dedicated refrigeration systems.
I asked around on prices for basic services as well as tools to do maintenance and repairs. With my background in electrical engineering and having done fluid dynamics etc in my bachelor degree I picked up a lot in 7 weeks. Went on to electrical shift patrol and ended up with a lot of spare time in my hands. I am a perosn who gets into trouble easy so I tried being constructive for once.
I started documenting everything I do and started a page that was in existence unknowing to most. Did a lot of free jobs for friends and family and documented it.

Went on to get some certificates in it for the sake of getting it but my main goal was socializing with other techs in the field and various dealerships. Wasn't long before managers at dealerships who were in my class took notice of me and how fast I can do stuff. Before you know it the owners knew me by name and as one says, nothing gets past me. I learned all the how and where to get stuff, pricing, who to call for what, what to get where and who have what that I can trade for what. Many still keep in touch for ideas and a lil pull out when they in a jam.

As good ole roddy Jodhan of Dumore taught me, tools tools tools. Invest in tools. Tools make the job easy and tools give you an advantage over others. Makes your work stand out as well. If there is a tool you know about that can make your job easier or open new doors for you, by all means, source it. Got the same lesson from another director, jason.

Another area ripe for the picking is agriculture. Most shy away from it because planting the land is slave work. With new technology and equipment work is easy. Hydroponics especially and drip irrigation are two ways of making life easy. Also, secure your markets and clients to ensure you always have customers. There is a new spot open up at the end of the highway in debe where is business none stop. Also there is famers market and some market I saw advertise at corinth on weekends. Something I see making some money out here is sugarcane juice. There is a dude with a hilux that sells at gaps compund. Every time I in the area I stop by and get some. Slowly but surely it's starting to make it's way into shelves from various sellers.

A third is the food industry. Getting halal certification guarantees a certain group. Good food hard to find. Once your food good and you have consistency you in the game. What you can do is even go to the next level and create and app to take orders or get a menu into some places where people can place their order and have bulk orders delivered. Trinis lazy and don't like to cook. If they can get their food to them better yet. You want to get into food, sell something new. Make it attractive, make it known that you known for cleanliness and prompt delivery as well as a service guaranteed. You can't get into the industry to reach clients? Enroll in utt, do a short course, meet a few people. Get your links inside.

Online advertising is cheap and effective. Get yourself out here and get known.

Plumbing and electrical as in house wiring ar two other fields that lacking bad. Show what makes your different in your ad. Show that you know what you doing and be able to answer any questions anyone may ask.

Construction, mini excavator and small machinery can go places where big ones can't and get a lot of work done in a short space of time.

I have a cousin who did med and he still home. Mommy have to mine him. Meanwhile I done hook up with maintenance staff to run a training course for them at the hospital. Sat down and watch their operations and they understaffed and need help. Did business with someone who has a say in there and he saw my work. Very little was left to ask after that.

Guyana is a country picking up fast. A lot of local companies setting up shop there. So there are options.

Canada also has a lot of vacancies and the standard of living decent. Only thing is that it's cold. Hvac men having a ball there with the recent drop in temps. They actually were trying to see who had the longest frozen in mid air condensate stream. Heating is a big thing. I follow and observe their work and the guys globay to learn a thing or two. Recently asked for some criticism and very little was criticized. So that's an opportunity.
They made a mint all over during covid times as hvac men were deemed essential globally.

Online earnings is also another field especially in covid times. Look at some of the youtube pages that get a lot of traffic flow. Donut media, supercar blonde, engineering explained etc. You good at something and have a cam, do a few tutorials. Simple as explaining painting a car, installing a sound system etc will get you traffic flow. I have a family member that earns more than her husband that has a good position on the oil and gas sector from online. She indicated some of my silly tech stuff have the most views. Should do a few tutorials. Make sure web search directs to your stuff. Classic example if you Google exodus anarchy I realise most hits go to me. Simple as speaker comparison and reviews can take in a heap of views.

It's a world of opportunities out here. Don't sell yourself short

Hey thanks for all the advice kind sir.

For your cousin who did med, is it because the field is so oversaturated that he has to stay at home?

I found out from someone who is into agriculture that it's not a good thing to get into right now though....there's too many stores opening up and farmers aren't making much anymore though.

From what I'm hearing from a lot of people is to go away....the future of the country looks bleak.
What is a good thing to get into right now?

SuperiorMan
punchin NOS

Postby SuperiorMan » April 25th, 2021, 11:49 am

wtf wrote:
SuperiorMan wrote:
nervewrecker wrote:I wasn't the best in econ and entrepreneurship but I did learn a thing or two and helped my gf then study for her business management degree.

Look for something that is in abundance. Look for something where you are needed. Look for something where there aren't much specialized people in esp if there is an aged group of experts. Most of the aged ones can't cope with new technology giving you an upper hand.

Electrical engineering is a field that opens a world of opportunities. Just about everything works with electricty. Specialize in a field and market yourself.

Customer service is something that sucks in Trinidad and simply as guaranteeing that gives you an edge. Don't bite off more than you can chew.

And last but not least, as a popular timer taught me, many of the fields that a lot of people view as below them are ripe for the picking. He markets himself by giving himself an edge over the competition and taking advantage of the opportunities that some can't see. He exploits the constraints that limits most to give him the upper hand and all I can hear is his brilliance in his voice. Also, don't live beyond what you can afford. You trying to afford a lifestyle to impress who exactly? Set the trend. I think his name in green if I not mistaken.

When I had now started in PETROTRIN and spent a few weeks under one of the best in hvac in their santa flora hvac department I noticed just about every house we pass by has an ac. Just about every business place has an ac.
Everyone has a fridge.
I asked around on prices for basic services as well as tools to do maintenance and repairs. With my background in electrical engineering and having done fluid dynamics etc in my bachelor degree I picked up a lot in 7 weeks. Went on to electrical shift patrol and ended up with a lot of spare time in my hands. I am a perosn who gets into trouble easy so I tried being constructive for once.
I started documenting everything I do and started a page that was in existence unknowing to most. Did a lot of free jobs for friends and family and documented it.

Went on to get some certificates in it for the sake of getting it but my main goal was socializing with other techs in the field and various dealerships. Wasn't long before managers at dealerships who were in my class took notice of me and how fast I can do stuff. Before you know it the owners knew me by name and as one says, nothing gets past me. I learned all the how and where to get stuff, pricing, who to call for what, what to get where and who have what that I can trade for what. Many still keep in touch for ideas and a lil pull out when they in a jam.

As good ole roddy Jodhan of Dumore taught me, tools tools tools. Invest in tools. Tools make the job easy and tools give you an advantage over others. Makes your work stand out as well. If there is a tool you know about that can make your job easier or open new doors for you, by all means, source it. Got the same lesson from another director, jason.

Another area ripe for the picking is agriculture. Most shy away from it because planting the land is slave work. With new technology and equipment work is easy. Hydroponics especially and drip irrigation are two ways of making life easy. Also, secure your markets and clients to ensure you always have customers. There is a new spot open up at the end of the highway in debe where is business none stop. Also there is famers market and some market I saw advertise at corinth on weekends. Something I see making some money out here is sugarcane juice. There is a dude with a hilux that sells at gaps compund. Every time I in the area I stop by and get some. Slowly but surely it's starting to make it's way into shelves from various sellers.

A third is the food industry. Getting halal certification guarantees a certain group. Good food hard to find. Once your food good and you have consistency you in the game. What you can do is even go to the next level and create and app to take orders or get a menu into some places where people can place their order and have bulk orders delivered. Trinis lazy and don't like to cook. If they can get their food to them better yet. You want to get into food, sell something new. Make it attractive, make it known that you known for cleanliness and prompt delivery as well as a service guaranteed. You can't get into the industry to reach clients? Enroll in utt, do a short course, meet a few people. Get your links inside.

Plumbing and electrical as in house wiring ar two other fields that lacking bad. Show what makes your different in your ad. Show that you know what you doing and be able to answer any questions anyone may ask.

Construction, mini excavator and small machinery can go places where big ones can't and get a lot of work done in a short space of time.

I have a cousin who did med and he still home. Mommy have to mine him. Meanwhile I done hook up with maintenance staff to run a training course for them at the hospital. Sat down and watch their operations and they understaffed and need help. Did business with someone who has a say in there and he saw my work. Very little was left to ask after that.

Guyana is a country picking up fast. A lot of local companies setting up shop there. So there are options.

Canada also has a lot of vacancies and the standard of living decent. Only thing is that it's cold. Hvac men having a ball there with the recent drop in temps. They actually were trying to see who had the longest frozen in mid air condensate stream. Heating is a big thing. I follow and observe their work and the guys globay to learn a thing or two. Recently asked for some criticism and very little was criticized. So that's an opportunity.
They made a mint all over during covid times as hvac men were deemed essential globally.

Online earnings is also another field especially in covid times. Look at some of the youtube pages that get a lot of traffic flow. Donut media, supercar blonde, engineering explained etc. You good at something and have a cam, do a few tutorials. Simple as explaining painting a car, installing a sound system etc will get you traffic flow. I have a family member that earns more than her husband that has a good position on the oil and gas sector from online. She indicated some of my silly tech stuff have the most views. Should do a few tutorials. Make sure web search directs to your stuff. Classic example if you Google exodus anarchy I realise most hits go to me. Simple as speaker comparison and reviews can take in a heap of views.

Hey thanks for all the advice kind sir.

For your cousin who did med, is it because the field is so oversaturated that he has to stay at home?

I found out from someone who is into agriculture that it's not a good thing to get into right now though....there's too many stores opening up and farmers aren't making much anymore though.

From what I'm hearing from a lot of people is to go away....the future of the country looks bleak.
What is a good thing to get into right now?

Hello wtf,

I'm not sure....that's why I'm asking.

But from what I hear software engineering in the states has a lot of potential/job growth in the future.

Dohplaydat
punchin NOS

Postby Dohplaydat » April 25th, 2021, 12:16 pm

timelapse wrote:I in the field.Believe me when I tell you that I have explored these options before.The foreign option was something I wasn't willing to gamble.
Over the years, I reconsidered migrating, I could easily get my green card or Canadian citizenship.Is just that job options were limited in the field for me.My degree and other qualifications are no match for MIT graduates and their foreign equivalent and that was about 8 years ago.
After 15 years in IT here, I'm thinking about leaving IT for good.I have already started diversifying into other options.I have seen others that graduated with me from my class also make the change.Some selling insurance,one is/was a tuner that fixing cars for a living, one or two teaching and one that Im really good with left his programming job in North Carolina to come back here and open a roti shop.
Could just be the job market currently, idk.
If OP has a guaranteed thing, go for it.If not, weigh your options, opportunity cost etc.
Mind you I'm not saying that either field is bad.There are opportunities if you can find them.Just don't expect a fancy dayjob in Software eng.Make your own job or find partners that are willing to form a startup.Take the example of Zuckerburg,Bezos and other tech giants.If you consider those guys failures, then Dohplaydat is right and Im giving you bad advice.
Dohplaydat wrote:
timelapse wrote:Software eng in the states is also saturated.Unless you coming out with your own apps, you have all the asians, australians, russians and indians to deal with.
My advice, do both.Create medical software.
ScHoolboySoloQ wrote:
SuperiorMan wrote:So MBBS in Trinidad or Software Engineering in US?

If you enjoy both equally.

Based on everything more or less being digitized, Software Engineering in the US is the best option.

Lots of bad advice in this thread.....

Software dev isn't saturated, far from it. The industry can't seem to employ enough people right now.
https://news.crunchbase.com/news/tech-hiring-in-2021/

Think of Trindiad, there is so much room for improvement in our current tech. This industry has much to grow locally as well.

It's quite possible Trini experience and UWI degrees have not prepared you to compete internationally. Real Comp sci is harder than most engineering degrees and the standards in the US are very very high.

All I know is that if you're good in this field, you will make big bucks and be in demand. A friend of mine says he literally can just send out a few resumes and do a few interviews and have dozen job offers in a week. However, he is a US citizen with a master's degree and proven experience.

For any of you thinking comp sci software engineering is easy, it's not. It's probably one of the hardest fields to get competent in.

SuperiorMan
punchin NOS

Postby SuperiorMan » April 25th, 2021, 12:27 pm

Dohplaydat wrote:
timelapse wrote:I in the field.Believe me when I tell you that I have explored these options before.The foreign option was something I wasn't willing to gamble.
Over the years, I reconsidered migrating, I could easily get my green card or Canadian citizenship.Is just that job options were limited in the field for me.My degree and other qualifications are no match for MIT graduates and their foreign equivalent and that was about 8 years ago.
After 15 years in IT here, I'm thinking about leaving IT for good.I have already started diversifying into other options.I have seen others that graduated with me from my class also make the change.Some selling insurance,one is/was a tuner that fixing cars for a living, one or two teaching and one that Im really good with left his programming job in North Carolina to come back here and open a roti shop.
If OP has a guaranteed thing, go for it.If not, weigh your options, opportunity cost etc.
Mind you I'm not saying that either field is bad.There are opportunities if you can find them.Just don't expect a fancy dayjob in Software eng.Make your own job or find partners that are willing to form a startup.Take the example of Zuckerburg,Bezos and other tech giants.If you consider those guys failures, then Dohplaydat is right and Im giving you bad advice.
Dohplaydat wrote:
timelapse wrote:Software eng in the states is also saturated.Unless you coming out with your own apps, you have all the asians, australians, russians and indians to deal with.
ScHoolboySoloQ wrote:

Based on everything more or less being digitized, Software Engineering in the US is the best option.

Software dev isn't saturated, far from it. The industry can't seem to employ enough people right now.

Think of Trindiad, there is so much room for improvement in our current tech. This industry has much to grow locally as well.

It's quite possible Trini experience and UWI degrees have not prepared you to compete internationally. Real Comp sci is harder than most engineering degrees and the standards in the US are very very high.

All I know is that if you're good in this field, you will make big bucks and be in demand. A friend of mine says he literally can just send out a few resumes and do a few interviews and have dozen job offers in a week. However, he is a US citizen with a master's degree and proven experience.

For any of you thinking comp sci software engineering is easy, it's not. It's probably one of the hardest fields to get competent in.

Heard the same....it's extremely hard in the US and people who do it studying day and night....but in the end, the job is relaxing, no call (like medicine), and the pay is high like equivalent to 50-60k tt/month.

I spoke to a few doctors here and they told me that medicine here is so over-saturated and it's hard to specialize again (only a few local spots available for so many doctors) and even NEW doctors who are getting the passing the UK specialist exams aren't even being recognized anymore. They're saying they doubt that new doctors could make the kind of money they made before

alfa
Shifting into 6th

Postby alfa » April 25th, 2021, 12:59 pm

SuperiorMan wrote:
Dohplaydat wrote:
Dohplaydat wrote:
ScHoolboySoloQ wrote:

Heard the same....it's extremely hard in the US and people who do it studying day and night....but in the end, the job is relaxing, no call (like medicine), and the pay is high like equivalent to 50-60k tt/month.

I spoke to a few doctors here and they told me that medicine here is so over-saturated and it's hard to specialize again (only a few local spots available for so many doctors) and even NEW doctors who are getting the passing the UK specialist exams aren't even being recognized anymore. They're saying they doubt that new doctors could make the kind of money they made before

I'm not so sure about that. The real money is in private practice. There's 3 doctor offices withing 5 minutes walk from each other in my area and are always full. Someone comes in with the standard cough cold flu (pre covid of course) and within 5 mins your prescribe a standard course of meds and charge $200. More yet if you're giving meds instead of a prescription. Marketing is the key. Get a ground floor office with lots of parking and sounds like you've hit the jackpot. At least from what I've seen. As to migrating to do IT or whatever, I have a cousin who went to England to do nursing in the 80s decided to stay, got legal soon after and got into a higher paying line of work. Couple of decades later she's living in an apartment in the big city ( they call it a flat) has to park on the street and drives a manual car. Most folks here with similar jobs after so many decades will have had their own house with in house parking and driving a navara at least if not a raj lux. Don't buy into the hype. Grass isn't always greener

ScHoolboySoloQ
Trinituner Peong

Postby ScHoolboySoloQ » April 25th, 2021, 5:28 pm

Everyone has a fridge.

Really good post here, I enjoyed reading.

What makes me different is I like getting shocked by a lil 220 so don't worry I will invert the connections to make your experience with me electrifying.

widdyphuck
18 pounds of Boost

Postby widdyphuck » April 25th, 2021, 9:35 pm

alfa wrote:
SuperiorMan wrote:
Dohplaydat wrote:
Dohplaydat wrote:
ScHoolboySoloQ wrote:

I'm not so sure about that. The real money is in private practice. There's 3 doctor offices withing 5 minutes walk from each other in my area and are always full. Someone comes in with the standard cough cold flu (pre covid of course) and within 5 mins your prescribe a standard course of meds and charge $200. More yet if you're giving meds instead of a prescription. Marketing is the key. Get a ground floor office with lots of parking and sounds like you've hit the jackpot. At least from what I've seen. As to migrating to do IT or whatever, I have a cousin who went to England to do nursing in the 80s decided to stay, got legal soon after and got into a higher paying line of work. Couple of decades later she's living in an apartment in the big city ( they call it a flat) has to park on the street and drives a manual car. Most folks here with similar jobs after so many decades will have had their own house with in house parking and driving a navara at least if not a raj lux. Don't buy into the hype. Grass isn't always greener
Why didn't she buy a home?

alfa
Shifting into 6th

Postby alfa » April 25th, 2021, 9:40 pm

wtf wrote:
alfa wrote:
SuperiorMan wrote:
Dohplaydat wrote:
Dohplaydat wrote:
ScHoolboySoloQ wrote:

Ridiculously expensive close to London

Kenjo
punchin NOS

Postby Kenjo » April 25th, 2021, 9:50 pm

alfa wrote:
wtf wrote:
alfa wrote:
SuperiorMan wrote:
Dohplaydat wrote:
Dohplaydat wrote:

Yup cost of living

widdyphuck
18 pounds of Boost

Postby widdyphuck » April 25th, 2021, 9:52 pm

alfa wrote:
wtf wrote:
alfa wrote:
SuperiorMan wrote:
Dohplaydat wrote:
Dohplaydat wrote:

Does she regret leaving Trinidad?

alfa
Shifting into 6th

Postby alfa » April 25th, 2021, 10:51 pm

Ridiculously expensive close to London[/quote]Does she regret leaving Trinidad?[/quote]
No. Better health care, less crime, it is a first world country after all. Ironically lots of Trinis living in basements in the US claim the same thing.

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » April 26th, 2021, 12:15 am

What I learned in transmission and distribution in PETROTRIN is treat all conductors as live and safety first.

Always confirm isolation.

Lock out tag out.

Perform checks if conductors live. Can be non contact voltage tester, dmm, one strand of wire held by an insulated pliers shorting conductors, proper ppe like gloves and insulated shoes, tic tester and / or earthing gear. Had an experience first hand with high voltage once which I prefer not to disclose. It wasn't nice and protocol was followed. Sh1t happens, in the heat of the moment reality hit and I didn't exactly plan on making it back home that day.

Too much shock is not good and my work is not only with 220v. Hvac systems can be 440v as well and I have had to work around 12kv already.

A job in the field is not limited to high voltage. It can be with control voltage which is supposed to be less than 28 volts. Control voltage for systems has a market here in Trinidad and Tobago as well as feedback and monitoring devices.

Classic example is a tech can't be present 24/7 and there are systems rented out that need to be of a certain temperature. Failure to do so can result in the contract being breached. We have a set of remote monitoring systems in place that send out an email anytime temp rises above a certain point for a period of time. From there is call out.

Boats and platforms are 440v 3 phase. Don't get me started on electricians and ground wire. I had the pleasure of showing a class this weekend the importance of a ground on a 3 phase system. Line to ground readings would be false and incorrect because measurements between phases were correct. I grounded in the brass gland in the isolator to show them there is no ground. Wiring on the whole in this place is a trap. There were exposed live wires in the panel as well. Took to liberty of securing them.

One thing I heard as a newb "allyuh better keep that guy eh, he eye eh move from you since you here". I never really understood it because I was of the impression that is how anyone and everyone eager to learn is. Then I started working with other people. Men eye will be in the sky, men daydreaming, men doing thing and ain't taking note of what they doing or why. You know how much curse I curse already and like people out here can't learn or think on their own? I send a man in a container to check a remote on a system to see it it working. He walk up to the door, see it closed and come back and tell me the door closed. I ask if he tried knocking or tried opening it, he went back to try that. Came back to tell me it open. I ask of the remote working, he forgot why he went there in the first place. Came back to tell me it does not. I ask him if he noted the brand / make / model of the system so we can programe the remote, he went back again, came back, forgot, went back, come back to tell me the brand and he standing there with the literature in one hand and don't know what to do. I think he doing computer engineering or something so.
Just last week a man plug a 110v plug in a 220v outlet, how? I still trying to figure out. Men will work wonders out here and preform miracles yes.
ScHoolboySoloQ wrote:

Everyone has a fridge.

Really good post here, I enjoyed reading.

What makes me different is I like getting shocked by a lil 220 so don't worry I will invert the connections to make your experience with me electrifying.

RedVEVO
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby RedVEVO » April 26th, 2021, 1:26 am

^^

For ALL the Engineers - Get involved with Cyber Security Engineering .

Then YOU can leave T&T forever and live a life of luxury and safety.

And "Doubles" everywhere in the World now :D

ProtonPowder
Riding on 18's

Postby ProtonPowder » April 26th, 2021, 1:45 am

Something to note about coding is that if you look to do all your learning in a class, you might pass the class and never get further. Yes it is so for many things, but with programming it is much more stark. It have men going into university already with very lively github pages and already have an incredible grasp of C++ and Java and sometimes other languages. These are people that developed apps and wrote scripts in their spare time during holidays and during highschool just for doing it sake. Not to solve a problem or to sell it, but just to test themselves.

These are the people you will compete against for the good coding jobs, and if it isnt you, good luck getting in the door.

Redress10
12 pounds of Boost

Postby Redress10 » April 26th, 2021, 2:07 am

Programming in the states is very competitive. India with a billion plus people are heavily invested in STEM learning so they export alot to USA. The americans going to MIT, Harvard etc can't keep up with Indian graduates. They are really good and cost a fraction of what US expertise costs.

Not sure graduates from caribbean/UWI will be looked at. May just be excess demand when you consider there are also british, canadian, australian and every other first world nation that is tech focused. The US give the world facebook, twitter, amazon. Sweden give the world skype, spotify etc. What has trinidad ever contributed to this industry? We simply don't have an identity in the industry and the country isn't viewed as strong in STEM. Our cxc math pass rate is poor I believe. I could be wrong.

London is a millionaire/ billionaire city. People don't really live in houses in the city. A one bedroom flat could run you about 500 thousand pounds or 5 million tt. A cheap 4 bedroom flat could easily cost 50 million tt. People also park on the streets which is normal. Driveways are not that common. Not sure if you can compare that value to a navara or a house in TT.

SuperiorMan
punchin NOS

Postby SuperiorMan » April 26th, 2021, 2:12 am

ProtonPowder wrote:Something to note about coding is that if you look to do all your learning in a class, you might pass the class and never get further. Yes it is so for many things, but with programming it is much more stark. It have men going into university already with very lively github pages and already have an incredible grasp of C++ and Java and sometimes other languages. These are people that developed apps and wrote scripts in their spare time during holidays and during highschool just for doing it sake. Not to solve a problem or to sell it, but just to test themselves.

These are the people you will compete against for the good coding jobs, and if it isnt you, good luck getting in the door.

Already got those covered dw.

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » April 26th, 2021, 2:55 am

RedVEVO wrote:^^

For ALL the Engineers - Get involved with Cyber Security Engineering .

Then YOU can leave T&T forever and live a life of luxury and safety.

And "Doubles" everywhere in the World now :D

how about just wrapping your mind around the concept that crime is a business and capilatize on it like the 1% is doing?

No, im not saying start a security firm. Be innovative and find new methods of home security and / or ways to get it online. or on the home network to transmit information to the client wherever he / she may be. As said before open source has the world of opportunities, a system that can send a simple notification if the electric gate opens or a motion / sound sensor in the house to detect movements. Something as simple as a cam that takes snapshots if motion is detected and emailed is discrete and is not constantly online like video cams picking up and using space. can even email it to a security firm where some sort of arrangement is set up.

feedback or footage from private cams at residences set up strategically set up in places to give feedback on movements of stolen vehicles at known hotspots. You wont believe how prevalent car theft is.

Also, people are concerned about energy consumption. Finding way to reduce energy consumption or environmentally friendly practices has a market here. Simple as setting up a remote system to shut down ac condensers can save on energy consumption. Either a timer relay on ac contactor's or a relay that can be controlled remotely to break the control circuit. By shutting down these systems with a timer relay can save on electrical consumption in business places and commercial properties where delinquent people leave the ac on overnight although they not supposed to.

we had legislation relaxed on the cultivation of cannabis. A huge portion of the world has approved hempcrete as an alternative building material. I am obviously not in a position to push for the legislation to be changed for the adaptation of this material that reduces the carbon footprint, improves heat insulation and by extension HVAC systems, fireproofs the material and its stronger than traditional concrete. The green fund can be probably tapped into. Do your homework.

There is a new site setting up in phoneix park where they rumored air condition manufacture. The new refrigerants the world is shifting towards are hydrocarbon blends. R290 is 99.9% pure propane, R600 is isobutane and R32 is another hydrocarbon blend. If only we had these gases in abundance and a place that liquefies natural gas and another place that converts gas to liquid.....oh....wait....wait....
get into manufacturing and diversify the downstream gas business. Be a forex earner as opposed to a consumer. Fun fact, the world has ceased the production of R410a so its strictly hydrocarbon we going towards. If anyone wanna get into this and wanna see the fruition of this project please contact me. :mrgreen: :drinking: :idea: :angel:

Numb3r4
Shifting into 6th

Postby Numb3r4 » April 26th, 2021, 3:26 am

Can you monetize a YouTube channel if your location is listed as being in Trinidad and Tobago?

With Google Play I know that they tell you monetization isn't supported for your apps so you have to only rely on the freemium model with ads only. If you try to use any service to facilitate a payment paypal etc. you often get the response that it isn't supported in T&T

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/172 ... o/18006701

Supported Google Merchant countries:

https://support.google.com/merchants/an ... 0637?hl=en

The access to a market larger than T&T is a factor in why young graduates can't quickly duplicate foreign success, and many don't have access to a foreign bank account.

The issue with business and entrepreneurship is that its more an attitude and culture, which is often enabled by a society and its institutions. Essentially a person must have a capacity for risk.

Folks living in developed countries can risk more on account of their society better supporting them.
In T&T would you readily think of dropping out of school to start a business, could you, if you have an idea get private sector funding or maybe you have a fellow classmate who could help you fund said business even though you're losing money?

Many young folks need that first job to get some money, or just plain experience to better their craft and figure out what they want or need to do.

The issue of building a gitHub or being a contributor to StackOverflow is great but again it to requires some kind of experience although you could build a website to post to your online portfolio but eventually you'll still need to show proof that you've been doing real work and projects. How would a young graduate or High School graduate get that job experience, are their clients here?

If you put yourself out and try to get foreign clients can you receive money with a T&T paypal account and no foreign bank account? I think RBC and JMMB works? What if they don't have a credit card? Maybe codester.

A good profession may be welding or plumbing or just general contracting (no job too small).
With A good skilled technical trade you can do a lot, the only issue is if the trade requires startup funds. in that case take any job and invest the earnings into buying what you need.

I now a welder and the biggest problem he has right now is telling his clients how expensive the material is going to be steel is expensive right now.

Yes there is a lot of work to be done in T&T with regards to digitization but its very difficult, local payment is not too bad facebook marketplace can work to get new customers however delivery is a big issue and then handling returns also becomes a problem because it often relies on said delivery drivers.

Drop shipping??? Nope.....

Things are just tight now hang on to your underwear and hope to ride it out in one piece.

Consider not doing A'levels/CAPE and get a job in a grocery (not a joke). I've heard of young guys doing that, taking any job that they can get.

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » April 26th, 2021, 3:58 am

Where you know people taking up work in groceries and hardware's? Not this generation. They want pay but dont want to work and dont get me started on work ethics. Then there are the rest that stretch work. I had that experience with one that start to get comfortable. He start off working real good, real real good and then just so he get stupid. Saw him spend half hour looking for a socket to plug on an extension cord. I ain't say anything. He takes a ride with the next guy to come to work. That guy take a day off he call me half ten in the morning to say he cant come to work cuz he donno how to travel. I told him hand me the bottle of rubbing alcohol so I can clean oil spray off some tool before I use them. I find he taking long, he looking in the dustbin for the bottle. Asked him why he looking in the bin he say he donno. Walking snail pace to pick up anything, cant hear properly, cant see properly, plugged in a 110v olug in a 220v outlet (how he manage this, I dont know). There are valve caps I leave on compounds on specific units for if I need one. Sent him to get get one while I prep the lines to weld them. Abut half hour later he come back and say he aint see one. I ask him if he know what he looking for he say no. So what de f**k yuh doing all the time? He saying he find we does finish work too late and he eh seeing no room for progress working with me. Well he getting a week home. Done message to ask if to come out tomorrow and he magically figure out how to travel.

I think you can use your skybox address as a foreign address. Unsure of the foreign back account. I know my cuz uses her mom bank account as her mom lives in the USA but from what she told me the $$$ is sent to her virtual wallet or something so and she just transfers the USD to her credit card.

From what the younger and more technically inclined generation told me youtube finds a way to get the $$$ to you. But you have to have over 1000 subsscribers. She uses onlyfans as her income source, unsure about youtube and her tutorials.

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » April 26th, 2021, 4:07 am

Too much people have the mentality "open your own business / be your own boss" and start a business feeling just so things does operate. Not even a sign in front the place. Classic example is fyzabad, so many businesses pop up as of late and nobody even know they exist or what they do. Have some places in existence years now on the main road and I don't even know what they do or what they sell. I seeing a sign saying "gallows car wash" all over, a piece of cardboard nailed on some lamp posts barely even visible. Another is the "car wash" recently open by outback bar. 90% of the time I pass I seeing people sit down twiddling thumbs. Only a few months ago some learn about foam wash. You ask any of them if they know their way around an engine bay they will say no but offering engine wash. Hang up a lil pic of an engine bay self nah, identifying some components. Hang up a sign with a tyre showing how to read the literature on one. At least have the sign face the road or hang one up by the highway where everyone passes. Patch the blasted holes in front your place nah, I actually patch it some time back.

coltspeed
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby coltspeed » April 26th, 2021, 5:06 am

Nerve.
When they young you does only see progress for a few days or even a week. After that they all acting dumb because they first hustle apparently turns out to them to be boring or too much work for what they find is little pay. They don't know anything about earning their way forward especially when they playing that music on their phones or have a headphones in their face all the time.

Carwashes is just a luxury way of wiping windows by some lights. I sure some of those fellas could actually earn more income if they try by doing something else. They probably just brakes- in construction work.

shake d livin wake d dead
TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » April 26th, 2021, 5:42 am

Do something you enjoy doing, you will never work a day in your life

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » April 26th, 2021, 6:18 am

Last I checked thiefing mango from pple tree still illegal. Stop encouraging me.
shake d livin wake d dead wrote:Do something you enjoy doing, you will never work a day in your life

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby timelapse » April 26th, 2021, 10:32 am

It have two big mango trees on the side of the higway I marking.Send me Pm for location.The challenge is getting there before anybody else.
nervewrecker wrote:Last I checked thiefing mango from pple tree still illegal. Stop encouraging me.
shake d livin wake d dead wrote:Do something you enjoy doing, you will never work a day in your life

Numb3r4
Shifting into 6th

Postby Numb3r4 » April 26th, 2021, 1:51 pm

I am quite surprised at the amount of food vendors that are cropping up especially here on Fyzabad.

Must say to some extent it's a buyers market you can get a descent meal for $10.00. Still don't know how much they are making but recently a guy opened a Chinese place by his house and he is still there.

With regard to grocery and hardware work a lot of the educated folks aren't going into that, the guys who are are the young ones who are opting to not do CAPE or UWI.

However that entey level service sector gap has been filled by the influx of cheap immigrant labour. Right here in Fyzabad a lot of Venezuelan guys packing bags at the grocery and working at the local hardware.

They are even renting from the local landlords and providing security. So the young folks who are trying to get these entry level jobs don't have it easy.

Numb3r4
Shifting into 6th

Postby Numb3r4 » April 26th, 2021, 1:57 pm

I still don't understand carwashes and why we have so much of them.

Agreed businesses in Fyzo don't really have many distinguishing marks but the few small ones do make. They make enough for the owners to invest in themselves and better their financial condition. I assume that is everyone's goal when they get into business here in T&T.

The culture isn't necessarily one of dreamers and vissionaries. Busineeses here exist to serve an immediate practical purpose.

widdyphuck
18 pounds of Boost

Postby widdyphuck » April 26th, 2021, 2:19 pm

I think everyone is looking at complicated ways to earn an income.
What are some very simple businesses that will earn money is the question to be asked.
Nobody wants to spend 20 years building a business and when they reach 60 they now ready to enjoy life.
Also what is a decent paycheck one should strive to achieve comfortably.. my figure is 10k monthly.

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » April 26th, 2021, 4:12 pm

What you getting for $10.00? How does it taste?

I still find the best food in this town is neil catering in flamingo avenue by the police station. His prices are very competitive.

Next would be crab-bees, kinda alright and bumpys bbq in Rouscillac.

Zachy was a cook offshore if I not mistaken. He has location and the small box at a deal price is popular among school children. He also has low overhead operating costs cuz he lives there. I donno of they ever fix the refrigerant leak on the ac.

Alana is a smart girl. I will give her that and she is no stranger to food and business. I know her since she had the little glass case set up in the gallery opposite Lalla hardware. She has two strategically located venues. The shop on fyzabad junction where location is an advantage as the taxi stand is there and it has a good traffic flow. Then the venue when you swing in Dehli road. Good location because of proximity to the children's court that will have traffic flow and huge parking space available which is a major advantage over many. She sells food there and I see she invested in an ice box as of recent so she sells ice. She can capatalize on traffic flow into and out of Dehli road which is a major artery to the highway under construction and traffic on the main road on the way to siparia and san fernando. I see a lot of oilfield vehicles stopping by for food (breakfast and lunch). Gotta hand it to her. Not sure if momz doubles in the business when she not working at the hardware and they know customer service by gauging their customers. Momz does give me ole talk cuz she know what I usually come to buy.

If you talking about those spanish guys by denny, those are the delinquents that can't work anywhere and just there to play de donkey. No skills and just there to make up a huge workforce with long hours with small pay. They occupying various places all over.

Hoy sing seems to have some brains to make the best of the lost customers from former timber wolf bar with the roulette machine. People want a place to gamble.

Curry express has great prices and great food of that qualifys as fyzabad.

One of the better and more modern spots is the unipet station. A one stop shop but still sketchy location for bandits with easy street and volley street passing through the back. I guess security beef up from since back in the day. The np station is as it was decades ago and still victim to elements from khan trace and easy street.

I see the girls at the unipet station like they make an attempt at handling the bar before outback but now is not a good time to get into bars. You'd think one of the two would have consulted with her cousin before trying to make a move. Cousin doing well but I haven't had a chance to get under her skin yet as to why she leave out fyzagood. I see she take up a role in Sando. Supreme elegance by crystal remains unmatched where even other nail technicians get their nails done by her. Didn't even know she relocate by gulf view medical there. Blood maybe boil seeing me around unknowing I really was going gulf view medical. Happy for her.

Anand low price remains king in this town. He has maybe the best business brain of all and has managed to set up at every corner where there is economic prospect and prove to be a worthy opponent. Those debe business maybe regret the day he set up shop there as well as the set in sando. He proves to be a force to be reckoned with in that gulf view block he controlling.

Twisters had a good thing going. Maybe some of the best food around and just so it run into the ground.

Dickies doing what they can but covid is a hard thing to battle. They have parking and location but bad roads seem to be a factor that hindering business bad. Very few people opt to pass through that zone when they can duck through avocat.

Auto addix (kiran) in ackbar trace doing what he can to ensure a service. Someone always on standby to get you what you want even if the place closed and he making the best of using some colorful signs to catch attention and has the sense of giving away masks that has the sign on it. I wear one to try and at least bring some traffic to him.

I trying to remember the chick name that set up at speedwash, I think was their daughter. Prices on par with big city prices. Not sure of it still around. Hopefully she learn a thing or two.

The few recent tyre shops that pop up, they ain't sure how to read a tyre from what I see and don't know much about what they do. Good luck to them.

Denny is one that seems to have gauged his clientele properly and adapted to suit. Fyzabad people cheap and backward. They will prefer buy a cheap inferior item that fails over and over rather than buy something good. He made his name one that while diversifying what he offers so it became a one stop shop for most and slowly but surely driving prices up. And not to mention advertising. He don't fall short in that region.
Numb3r4 wrote:I am quite surprised at the amount of food vendors that are cropping up especially here on Fyzabad.

Must say to some extent it's a buyers market you can get a descent meal for $10.00. Still don't know how much they are making but recently a guy opened a Chinese place by his house and he is still there.

With regard to grocery and hardware work a lot of the educated folks aren't going into that, the guys who are are the young ones who are opting to not do CAPE or UWI.

However that entey level service sector gap has been filled by the influx of cheap immigrant labour. Right here in Fyzabad a lot of Venezuelan guys packing bags at the grocery and working at the local hardware.

They are even renting from the local landlords and providing security. So the young folks who are trying to get these entry level jobs don't have it easy.

mad
Sweet on this forum

Postby mad » April 26th, 2021, 5:18 pm

How you forget out Lily's roti so boy.

Is Angela you talking about from by speedwash - K&A?

I disagree with you about curry express. That is failure based on my experience. Twice I get spoilt food. And to top it off they only serve one size and that is large.

nervewrecker wrote:What you getting for $10.00? How does it taste?

I still find the best food in this town is neil catering in flamingo avenue by the police station. His prices are very competitive.

Next would be crab-bees, kinda alright and bumpys bbq in Rouscillac.

Zachy was a cook offshore if I not mistaken. He has location and the small box at a deal price is popular among school children. He also has low overhead operating costs cuz he lives there. I donno of they ever fix the refrigerant leak on the ac.

Alana is a smart girl. I will give her that and she is no stranger to food and business. I know her since she had the little glass case set up in the gallery opposite Lalla hardware. She has two strategically located venues. The shop on fyzabad junction where location is an advantage as the taxi stand is there and it has a good traffic flow. Then the venue when you swing in Dehli road. Good location because of proximity to the children's court that will have traffic flow and huge parking space available which is a major advantage over many. She sells food there and I see she invested in an ice box as of recent so she sells ice. She can capatalize on traffic flow into and out of Dehli road which is a major artery to the highway under construction and traffic on the main road on the way to siparia and san fernando. I see a lot of oilfield vehicles stopping by for food (breakfast and lunch). Gotta hand it to her. Not sure if momz doubles in the business when she not working at the hardware and they know customer service by gauging their customers. Momz does give me ole talk cuz she know what I usually come to buy.

If you talking about those spanish guys by denny, those are the delinquents that can't work anywhere and just there to play de donkey. No skills and just there to make up a huge workforce with long hours with small pay. They occupying various places all over.

Hoy sing seems to have some brains to make the best of the lost customers from former timber wolf bar with the roulette machine. People want a place to gamble.

Curry express has great prices and great food of that qualifys as fyzabad.

One of the better and more modern spots is the unipet station. A one stop shop but still sketchy location for bandits with easy street and volley street passing through the back. I guess security beef up from since back in the day. The np station is as it was decades ago and still victim to elements from khan trace and easy street.

I see the girls at the unipet station like they make an attempt at handling the bar before outback but now is not a good time to get into bars. You'd think one of the two would have consulted with her cousin before trying to make a move. Cousin doing well but I haven't had a chance to get under her skin yet as to why she leave out fyzagood. I see she take up a role in Sando. Supreme elegance by crystal remains unmatched where even other nail technicians get their nails done by her. Didn't even know she relocate by gulf view medical there. Blood maybe boil seeing me around unknowing I really was going gulf view medical. Happy for her.

Anand low price remains king in this town. He has maybe the best business brain of all and has managed to set up at every corner where there is economic prospect and prove to be a worthy opponent. Those debe business maybe regret the day he set up shop there as well as the set in sando. He proves to be a force to be reckoned with in that gulf view block he controlling.

Twisters had a good thing going. Maybe some of the best food around and just so it run into the ground.

Dickies doing what they can but covid is a hard thing to battle. They have parking and location but bad roads seem to be a factor that hindering business bad. Very few people opt to pass through that zone when they can duck through avocat.

Auto addix (kiran) in ackbar trace doing what he can to ensure a service. Someone always on standby to get you what you want even if the place closed and he making the best of using some colorful signs to catch attention and has the sense of giving away masks that has the sign on it. I wear one to try and at least bring some traffic to him.

I trying to remember the chick name that set up at speedwash, I think was their daughter. Prices on par with big city prices. Not sure of it still around. Hopefully she learn a thing or two.

The few recent tyre shops that pop up, they ain't sure how to read a tyre from what I see and don't know much about what they do. Good luck to them.

Denny is one that seems to have gauged his clientele properly and adapted to suit. Fyzabad people cheap and backward. They will prefer buy a cheap inferior item that fails over and over rather than buy something good. He made his name one that while diversifying what he offers so it became a one stop shop for most and slowly but surely driving prices up. And not to mention advertising. He don't fall short in that region.
Numb3r4 wrote:I am quite surprised at the amount of food vendors that are cropping up especially here on Fyzabad.

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”