TriniTuner 24-7

The Aviation Thread - For Plane People

Postby bluefete » May 23rd, 2015, 9:01 am

May 21, 2015 - Airbus 350

Rory Phoulorie
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Re: The Aviation Thread - For Plane People

Postby Rory Phoulorie » May 23rd, 2015, 9:07 am

When anyone builds a plane like the Lockheed SR-71 or the North American XB-70, or at least release details on the latest spy plane (Aurora), then that will be something.

bluefete
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby bluefete » May 23rd, 2015, 9:38 am

Rory Phoulorie wrote:When anyone builds a plane like the Lockheed SR-71 or the North American XB-70, or at least release details on the latest spy plane (Aurora), then that will be something.

Aurora is rumoured to be a top secret aircraft that has been in development since 1989. These claims originated in Aviation Week and Space Technology magazine in 1989. In November 2013, Lockheed Martin announced it was developing a similar SR-72 spy plane (illustrated) said to be able to accelerate up to Mach 6

WHAT WOULD AN AURORA PLANE LOOK LIKE?

Speed: Speeds are reported to be in the range of Mach 5 to 8.

Length: 110ft (33.5 metres)

Wingspan: 60ft (18.2 metres)

Engine: There are a number of possible engine technologies that have been linked to the Aurora project.

One in particular, which Dr Bhupendra Khandelwal an engineering research associate from Sheffield believes may have caused the booms heard over the UK and New York, is called a pulse detonation engine (PDE), or pulse detonation wave engine (PDWE).

At regular speeds, the craft would be powered by a traditional jet engines built into the lower fuselage.

Once it hits supersonic speed, the PDE takes over.

A PDE works by sending liquid methane or liquid hydrogen into the engine. The fuel mist is then ignited.

This detonation is made inside a specially designed chamber and occurs when the aircraft is travelling beyond the speed of sound.

At these speeds, a 'thrust wall' is created.

This is when the craft is travelling so fast, air is pushed near the nose that creates a 'wall'.

When the detonation occurs, the aircraft's thrust wall is pushed forward, and this is repeated numerous times to propel the aircraft forward.

Alternatively, pulsejets could compress the air caused as the craft travels forward to make it more streamline, while fuel is ignited in a combustion chamber.

The pressure of the expanding gases in this chamber then propel the jet forward.

Weapons: Rumours claim the Aurora may be equipped with air-to-ground weapons, but this would add weight to the craft, suggesting it is more likely that the plane would be used to reach destinations and reconnaissance missions instead.

‘When we run a test engine it’s a real industrial noise and you can hear it for miles. We have people coming to us asking to make less noise or keep it to the daytime.'

A PDE engine works by using the force from a series of explosions, caused by mixing a fuel mist and air intake, to thrust itself forward. It can theoretically power planes at five times the speed of sound.

The technology builds upon 'pulsejet' principles which first emerged in the early 1900s and were used in German V-1 flying bombs.

Test flights using the most recent forms of the technology have lasted only a few seconds, but it is still listed by conspiracy theorists as a possible way of powering the so-called Aurora spy jet.

THE RACE FOR SUPERSONIC AND HYPERSONIC TRAVEL

Scramjets have been under development for decades, but a breakthrough came in May 2013, when the U.S. Air Force Research Laboratory’s Boeing X-51A WaveRider flew for 240 seconds over the Pacific on scramjet power, reaching Mach 5.1 and running until its fuel was exhausted.

Lockheed Martin's Skunk Works - builder of the Mach 3.5 SR-71 Blackbird spyplane - then unveiled plans to develop a successor, dubbed the SR-72, pictured

The next step is to build a high-speed cruise missile, able to strike distant targets in minutes, not hours.

Designed for reconnaissance and strike missions, the SR-72 would combine turbojet and ramjet/scramjet engines to enable the aircraft to take off from a runway, accelerate to a Mach 6 cruise, and then return to a conventional runway landing.

If it can secure funding from the U.S. Defense Department, Lockheed Martin believes a prototype could be flying as soon as 2023 and the SR-72 could enter service by 2030, potentially paving the way for commercial applications of scramjet technology.

bluefete
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby bluefete » May 23rd, 2015, 2:45 pm

ruffneck_12
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby ruffneck_12 » May 24th, 2015, 11:36 am

bluefete, stop posting

bluefete
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby bluefete » May 24th, 2015, 7:28 pm

ruffneck_12 wrote:bluefete, stop posting
:shock: :shock:

Wha' happen? Yuh cyah stand my language style?

TESTED performance
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby TESTED performance » May 24th, 2015, 8:03 pm

U.S. Air Force Research Laboratory’s Boeing X-51A WaveRider flew for 240 seconds over the Pacific on scramjet power, reaching Mach 5.1 and running until its fuel was exhausted.

I dunno much about aviation but since i'm a "plain person" I thought it was interesting that an aircraft was able to cover 405 kilometers of distance in just 4 minutes.

16 cycles
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby 16 cycles » September 1st, 2022, 10:57 am

the OG

Dizzy28
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Dizzy28 » December 7th, 2022, 4:57 pm

The last 747 has rolled out of Boeing's facility today.

Capture.JPG

bluefete
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby bluefete » December 8th, 2022, 2:16 am

Queen of the Skies.

xtech
punchin NOS

Postby xtech » December 8th, 2022, 5:05 am

Whenever I see these kind of pics with buildings dwarfing huge planes reminds me of Star Trek with huge space stations swallowing up huge star ships.

Sad to see the last 747 airship roll out good luck to her. May she fly for 50 years

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » December 8th, 2022, 5:55 am

xtech wrote:Whenever I see these kind of pics with buildings dwarfing huge planes reminds me of Star Trek with huge space stations swallowing up huge star ships.

Sad to see the last 747 airship roll out good luck to her. May she fly for 50 years

Yes think of how massive that 747 factory door alone is.
Or the span of the ceiling without supports.

ruffneck_12
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby ruffneck_12 » December 12th, 2022, 8:36 am

Sadly, I am not a plane person

I am a human person

xtech
punchin NOS

Postby xtech » December 12th, 2022, 10:06 am

ruffneck_12 wrote:Sadly, I am not a plane person

I am a human person

No plane ✈️ Roti for u

ruffneck_12
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby ruffneck_12 » December 14th, 2022, 8:03 am

xtech wrote:
ruffneck_12 wrote:Sadly, I am not a plane person

I am a human person

No plane ✈️ Roti for u

aw man :oops:

I really love plane ✈️ roti :oops: :( :oops: :cry: :oops: :( :cry: :oops:

david12
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby david12 » February 2nd, 2023, 8:37 am

I'm sure you guys saw this already but Atlas Air did a tribute yesterday with the last Boeing 747.
the-last-delivered-boeing-747-made-a-crown-with-747-on-its-v0-frgt2t8xomfa1.jpg

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”