TriniTuner 24-7

Re: NASA: we will find alien life by 2025

Postby dougla_boy » April 16th, 2015, 11:21 am

huh.......

meccalli
punchin NOS

Postby meccalli » April 16th, 2015, 11:25 am

Duane 3NE 2NR wrote:because it is scientific fact.

No valid scientific evidence shows that it isn't.

Evolution is the basis for all biology. Without it, much of biology and modern medicine just doesn't make sense.

Alternatives have been tried before, but cannot make sense http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kitzmiller ... l_District

Evolution cannot be proven via the scientific method. Intelligent design isn't an alternative scientific theory. I'm pointing out that many scientists have spoken out against the flaws in the evolution theory. It will not be challenged as it would derail the many tales that science has based upon it. It simply cannot afford the theory to be challenged.

Evolution is relevant to this discussion since it depends on abiogenesis which is scientifically disproved.

kjaglal76v2 wrote:what did we evolve from duane?

We came from inorganic material which randomly formed working proteins through billions of years of trial and error clearly. We evolved from one of those consequent simple structures eventually. Life is so simple to understand.

Habit7
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Habit7 » April 16th, 2015, 11:35 am

Duane 3NE 2NR wrote:Evolution is the basis for all biology. Without it, much of biology and modern medicine just doesn't make sense.
What?

So before evolution there was no biology? Anatomy, physiology, and palaeontology were developed long before Darwin. Evolution is a theory applied to biology. If evolution is disproved, biology won't cease to exist.

Modern medicine is based on repeatable, testable, observable physiology, not evolutionary theory.

racedriverpro
punchin NOS

Postby racedriverpro » April 16th, 2015, 11:38 am

Duane 3NE 2NR wrote:
Habit7 wrote:People of faith.
Faith is defined as belief, confidence or trust in a person, object, religion, idea or view despite the absence of proof.

Scientists can be hopeful based on results from previous research, but science can only operate on evidence and proof.

but let me ask you directly: Since you believe the literal creation exactly as it is described in the Bible, that the earth is 6000-12000 years old and that dinosaurs and humans lived together, do you think there is the possibility of life on other planets?

This you speak of is young earth creation theory. There is the old earth creation theory I believe is similar to progressive creation where God created the earth and universe intervening at different points in time to create a desired outcome. Science and Religion/Faith are more connected than we admit. Primary and secondary cause.

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » April 16th, 2015, 11:38 am

meccalli wrote:
Duane 3NE 2NR wrote:because it is scientific fact.

No valid scientific evidence shows that it isn't.

Evolution is the basis for all biology. Without it, much of biology and modern medicine just doesn't make sense.

Alternatives have been tried before, but cannot make sense http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kitzmiller ... l_District

Evolution cannot be proven via the scientific method. Intelligent design isn't an alternative scientific theory. I'm pointing out that many scientists have spoken out against the flaws in the evolution theory. It will not be challenged as it would derail the many tales that science has based upon it. It simply cannot afford the theory to be challenged.

Evolution is relevant to this discussion since it depends on abiogenesis which is scientifically disproved.
this is your conspiracy theory and not based in science.

meccalli wrote:
kjaglal76v2 wrote:what did we evolve from duane?

We came from inorganic material which randomly formed working proteins through billions of years of trial and error clearly. We evolved from one of those consequent simple structures eventually. Life is so simple to understand.
evolution does not describe abiogenesis, it only shows how life evolves, not how it was formed.

There are many hypotheses on how life may have started.

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » April 16th, 2015, 11:39 am

Habit7 wrote:
Duane 3NE 2NR wrote:Evolution is the basis for all biology. Without it, much of biology and modern medicine just doesn't make sense.
What?

So before evolution there was no biology? Anatomy, physiology, and palaeontology were developed long before Darwin. Evolution is a theory applied to biology. If evolution is disproved, biology won't cease to exist.

Modern medicine is based on repeatable, testable, observable physiology, not evolutionary theory.

I didn't say it is the entirety of all biology

but there is evolution of anatomy, physiology and palaeontology.

funny you mentioned palaeontology since it studies the period before young earth creationists claim the earth existed!

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » April 16th, 2015, 11:40 am

racedriverpro wrote:
Duane 3NE 2NR wrote:
Faith is defined as belief, confidence or trust in a person, object, religion, idea or view despite the absence of proof.

Scientists can be hopeful based on results from previous research, but science can only operate on evidence and proof.

but let me ask you directly: Since you believe the literal creation exactly as it is described in the Bible, that the earth is 6000-12000 years old and that dinosaurs and humans lived together, do you think there is the possibility of life on other planets?

This you speak of is young earth creation theory. There is the old earth creation theory I believe is similar to progressive creation where God created the earth and universe intervening at different points in time to create a desired outcome. Science and Religion/Faith are more connected than we admit. Primary and secondary cause.
I was replying Habit7 who is a young earth creationist

racedriverpro
punchin NOS

Postby racedriverpro » April 16th, 2015, 11:44 am

Duane 3NE 2NR wrote:
racedriverpro wrote:
Duane 3NE 2NR wrote:

I was replying Habit7 who is a young earth creationist

There are more issues with this theory that others since there is undisputed evidence to suggest otherwise...i suggest that we consider the scholarly views of Dr John Lennox, Prof Richard Dawkins and John Polkinhorne in this argument.

Habit7
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Habit7 » April 16th, 2015, 11:49 am

Duane 3NE 2NR wrote:I didn't say it is the entirety of all biology
LOL

Duane, you're funny.

desifemlove
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby desifemlove » April 16th, 2015, 12:06 pm

if so, i hope it more intelligent/sapient than the life on Earth, or Trini..

The Paleontologist
18 pounds of Boost

Postby The Paleontologist » April 16th, 2015, 1:21 pm

crazybalhead
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby crazybalhead » April 16th, 2015, 2:02 pm

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » April 16th, 2015, 2:17 pm

^ LOL yes!

meccalli
punchin NOS

Postby meccalli » April 16th, 2015, 2:51 pm

Duane 3NE 2NR wrote:evolution does not describe abiogenesis, it only shows how life evolves, not how it was formed.

Ultimately, that's wishful thinking as it's fundamental to a theory that aims to explain a naturalistic origin of things. Cart before the horse?
G. A. Kerkut, a British biologist, published a book in 1960 entitled, Implications of Evolution. ,Kerkut lists the following seven assumptions of the theory of evolution:
Life arose from nonliving matter
Spontaneous generation only occurred once.
Viruses, bacteria, plants and animals are interrelated.
Multicellular animals (metazoa) evolved from unicellular or single-celled organisms (protozoa or protists).
Various invertebrate phyla are interrelated.
Vertebrate animals evolved from invertebrate animals.
Vertebrate animals evolved from fish to amphibians, from amphibians to reptiles, from reptiles to birds and mammals, etc.
meccalli wrote:Evolution cannot be proven via the scientific method.

Well that's not a conspiracy.
Assumption makes for great science. Continues to explain the uninvestigated rather than investigate the unexplained.

Advent
Riding on 17's

Postby Advent » April 16th, 2015, 3:23 pm

Duane 3NE 2NR wrote:
meccalli wrote:Religious texts have been telling us the same thing since antiquity.
examples?

Duane, reasoning with religious people is highly improbable :|

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » April 16th, 2015, 3:28 pm

Advent wrote:
Duane 3NE 2NR wrote:
meccalli wrote:Religious texts have been telling us the same thing since antiquity.
examples?

I am stubborn like that.

I think I am fascinated by their responses.

Habit7
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Habit7 » April 16th, 2015, 4:31 pm

Duane 3NE 2NR wrote:
Advent wrote:
Duane 3NE 2NR wrote:
examples?

I am stubborn like that.

I am fascinated by how one man can embrace the existence of aliens, then in the same breath say ppl who believe in beings without evidence are not "big men."

I am also fascinated by how one can say how evolution is the basis of all biology, and when challenged say "I didn't mean all of the all of biology."

I would be the first to admit that my beliefs go against the grain, but I am consistent. It is pathetic to see those who affirm factual science, defend non existent aliens and a theory with religious fervour all while making logical contradictions without skipping a beat.

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » April 16th, 2015, 5:18 pm

Habit7 wrote:
Duane 3NE 2NR wrote:
Advent wrote:
Duane 3NE 2NR wrote:
examples?

I am stubborn like that.

I am fascinated by how one man can embrace the existence of aliens, then in the same breath say ppl who believe in beings without evidence are not "big men."

I am also fascinated by how one can say how evolution is the basis of all biology, and when challenged say "I didn't mean all of the all of biology."

I would be the first to admit that my beliefs go against the grain, but I am consistent. It is pathetic to see those who affirm factual science, defend non existent aliens and a theory with religious fervour all while making logical contradictions without skipping a beat.
you are twisting words.

you are the one believing in the supernatural. You keep throwing those red herrings to divert attention from the pseudo science you are subscribing to.

Like science, i will acknowledge there is alien life when there is evidence for it, not before. So far there is growing evidence to suggest alien life may be in abundance considering the increasing number of extraterrestrial places with conditions that may harbour life that are being discovered.

Habit7
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Habit7 » April 16th, 2015, 5:25 pm

Whose words am I twisting?

Pseudo science is saying evolution is the basis of all biology. Say what factual science I deny and I will publicly denounce it.

The discovery of planets within the habitable zone proves that planets exists within the habitable zone. Any conclusion beyond that is faith, something you say doesn't exist in science.

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » April 16th, 2015, 7:56 pm

Habit7 wrote:Whose words am I twisting?

Pseudo science is saying evolution is the basis of all biology. Say what factual science I deny and I will publicly denounce it.

The discovery of planets within the habitable zone proves that planets exists within the habitable zone. Any conclusion beyond that is faith, something you say doesn't exist in science.
faith is not a requirement to carry out science. It is however a requirement for religion.

You claim the earth was created in 1 week. You claim the earth is 6000-12000 years old. You claim therefore that dinosaurs lived at the same time with humans. You claim that there was some magic that explains how the universe is only 6000-12000 years old yet we can see stars that are millions of lightyears away that took the light from it millions of years to get to us.

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » April 16th, 2015, 8:04 pm

For everyone else not bent on making this a religious discussion: do you think it would be scarier to find out we are not alone, or to find out we are alone?

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » April 16th, 2015, 8:19 pm

Duane 3NE 2NR wrote:For everyone else not bent on making this a religious discussion: do you think it would be scarier to find out we are not alone, or to find out we are alone?

We not alone, Hanuman is an alien and that's where christ got his teaching from.

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » April 16th, 2015, 8:23 pm

zoom rader wrote:
Duane 3NE 2NR wrote:For everyone else not bent on making this a religious discussion: do you think it would be scarier to find out we are not alone, or to find out we are alone?

We not alone, Hanuman is an alien and that's where christ got his teaching from.
I'm not sure if to shake my head that you brought up religion again or to be be happy that you actually managed to make a post without mentioning the PNM

meccalli
punchin NOS

Postby meccalli » April 16th, 2015, 8:31 pm

Advent wrote:Duane, reasoning with religious people is highly improbable

You excluded the response, was it inadequate? Or is this the expected attitude of narrow mindedness and egocentrism that whatever a 'religious' person puts forward is nonsensical in the light of your esteemed and untouchable beliefs?
Would you say that the researcher Dr. Vallee is out of his mind and unsubstantiated for drawing a comparison of ufo/alien activity to formerly frequent occurrences of paranormal activity attributed to demonic and spiritual entities. It's impossible for science to accept what it refuses to acknowledge and investigate. Science seeks out and finds truth in mysteries? Seems that stopped a long time ago since evolution. All it has done is festered bias and monopolised a belief into a tyrant that is anything but science that bullies all research into a box and discredits and mocks entrepreneurs who are seeking the big questions.
As Michu Kaku said in the vid I posted earlier, The Giggle Factor. Certain topics are instantly shot down and laughed at by apparent scientists' who ridicule those who want the answers and not idiotic explain aways. These are the ones you laud, who keep science in the sorry state its in. The more they find, the less they know, the more they discredit, the less it contributes.

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » April 16th, 2015, 9:07 pm

meccalli wrote:unsubstantiated for drawing a comparison of ufo/alien activity to formerly frequent occurrences of paranormal activity attributed to demonic and spiritual entities
is there more scientific evidence for one over the other?

meccalli
punchin NOS

Postby meccalli » April 16th, 2015, 10:04 pm

Empirical evidence (also empirical data, sense experience, empirical knowledge, or the a posteriori) is a source of knowledge acquired by means of observation or experimentation.

Unfortunately, science won't accept testimony. It has no value. However observation is made of the striking similarities that exist between the phenomena described and the references drawn to that which was credited as being the cause, to which science has no explanation and means of testing, observing and proving. Again, unless science admits its limited scope, it will always be limited.

'The "that's what they thought then" response implies that because science advanced rapidly over the past century or so, it must continue to do so, possibly forever. This is faulty inductive reasoning. A broader view of history suggests that the modern era of explosive progress is an anomaly—the product of a unique convergence of social, economic, and political factors—that must eventually end. Science itself tells us that there are limits to knowledge. Relativity theory prohibits travel or communication faster than light. Quantum mechanics and chaos theory constrain the precision with which we can make predictions. Evolutionary biology reminds us that we are animals, shaped by natural selection not for discovering deep truths of nature but for breeding.

The greatest barrier to future progress in science is its past success.'

http://discovermagazine.com/2006/oct/cover

wagonrunner
TriniTuner 24-7
Location: Distancing myself from those who want to raid the barn but eh want to plant the corn.

Postby wagonrunner » April 16th, 2015, 10:17 pm

It would be terrifying to "know" we are the pinnacle at this scale. Is this really the best there is?

dougla_boy
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby dougla_boy » April 16th, 2015, 10:21 pm

Meccali is use real big words jed....does hadda keep a thesaurus and dictionary nearby when ah reading e post

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”