Forums

THE OFFICIAL **ALL THINGS CNG** THREAD

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

hong kong phooey
punchin NOS

Re: THE OFFICIAL **ALL THINGS CNG** THREAD

Postby hong kong phooey » October 8th, 2018, 12:48 pm

^^ and look which business have loads of cng kits: remember elections in less than 2 years
Once these people rape trinis then they will increase the price of cng.

The_Honourable
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby The_Honourable » October 8th, 2018, 1:59 pm

vaiostation wrote:^^^ Cause de government invest a ton of money in the infrastructure since manning days and they don't want to look like some fools, even though they pushing Outdated technology. That's why they ain't pushing electrical charging stations at regular gas stations. Plus hadda give de financiers time to sell they old stock.

It like they selling VHS tapes when the rest of the world moving to digital Distribution.

I was thinking this. Why the government spending so much money pushing CNG where car manufacturers and countries one by one moving towards hybrid and electric vehicles? They now trying to implement a technology that should have been done 20+ years ago.

With solar powered vehicle charging systems becoming a thing, we don't have to worry about T&TEC increasing prices when EVs become normalized in our society.

hydroep
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby hydroep » October 8th, 2018, 2:21 pm

My suspicion is they really don't want people to make the switch to CNG. The more people stay on liquid fuels the more revenue/taxes they collect, so they've purposely stymied the roll out of infrastructure. The cost, hassle and lost cargo space resulting from such a conversion act as deterrents as well.

Government just talks the talk to show the public an alternative is there, so when they jam people with higher liquid fuel prices it is the average Joe's fault for not taking advantage of the available substitute.

Anyways, Guy Smiley say $ 12,000 is nothing to pay for a CNG system, yuh making that back in one year...:|

jhonnieblue
Riding on 18's

Postby jhonnieblue » October 8th, 2018, 2:28 pm

I have a CNG kit installed. Short answer. Don't do it. It's terrible. The car ride is horrid and the vehicle bucks all the time. On top of that the range is aweful, less than 200km a tank and with that you now have to find a station that has CNG.
It's not worth it and yes you save money but the ride quality drops drastically

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » October 8th, 2018, 2:39 pm

Mine works great, but I get average 100kms Per $14 fill up.

I asked them to tune it rich, and they said it was at the limit of the spec.

mazdatt
3NE 2NR for life

Postby mazdatt » October 8th, 2018, 3:04 pm

sMASH wrote:Mine works great, but I get average 100kms Per $14 fill up.

Full tank of CNG to make one round trip from San Fernando to Port of Spain? This is not good. I get 1000+km on a full tank of gas with the Ioniq.

PariaMan
punchin NOS

Postby PariaMan » October 8th, 2018, 3:36 pm

The people who can afford to spend 12000 just so not switching to CNG because they can afford to buy gas and will not care for the inconvenience

The people who needs to save on gas cannot afford the 12000

That is why the change to CNG for existing cars will go very slowly

New cars have only one option and that is the City

People have shown by their action that for new cars the preferred option is the Hybrid

Even people with money will still consider the Hybrid because it saves them money without the inconvenience of numerous trips to the gas station

PariaMan
punchin NOS

Postby PariaMan » October 8th, 2018, 3:39 pm

The less gas people use the less foreign currency needed

Government should provide incentives for all hybrid cars and they will benefit by less outflow of foreign currency

Ted_v2
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Ted_v2 » October 8th, 2018, 8:49 pm

my 240,000KM frontier does ok mileage, all kinda 600-640KM on a tank of diesel.

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » October 8th, 2018, 9:09 pm

Ted_v2 wrote:my 240,000KM frontier does ok mileage, all kinda 600-640KM on a tank of diesel.
What is the capacity of the tank

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » October 8th, 2018, 9:27 pm

mazdatt wrote:

Full tank of CNG to make one round trip from San Fernando to Port of Spain? This is not good. I get 1000+km on a full tank of gas with the Ioniq.

i kinda drive very aggressively... usually.
but, how much to refill that tank now, $170? for me to get 1000km, it would be $140...

mazdatt
3NE 2NR for life

Postby mazdatt » October 8th, 2018, 9:50 pm

sMASH wrote:
mazdatt wrote:

but, how much to refill that tank now, $170? for me to get 1000km, it would be $140...
Don't know the exact amount to fill up the tank but 100km would use around $18 super at the new price.

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » October 8th, 2018, 10:08 pm

Check it next time, let the light come on to fill totally.
After a while the dollars add up.

Strugglerzinc
punchin NOS

Postby Strugglerzinc » October 8th, 2018, 10:13 pm

sMASH wrote:
mazdatt wrote:

And 10 trips to fill up. Half your life gone right there.

*$kїđž!™
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *$kїđž!™ » October 8th, 2018, 10:20 pm

So why arent u all.mentioning the cost of replacing a battery.....and whats the lifespan?

mazdatt
3NE 2NR for life

Postby mazdatt » October 8th, 2018, 10:57 pm

*$kїđž!™ wrote:So why arent u all.mentioning the cost of replacing a battery.....and whats the lifespan?
Battery covered by a 10yr warranty and the battery design is modular so the whole battery would not need to be replaced just the one with bad cells.

*$kїđž!™
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *$kїđž!™ » October 8th, 2018, 11:00 pm

Good info...this is the ioniq....well what about those fu hybrids....u taking a chance with those i guess..

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » October 8th, 2018, 11:36 pm

In my mind... The gas(natural gas) that is produced doesn't have to go through many processes before it can be used by CNG equipped vehicles. On the other hand petrol/diesel requires crude oil to be refined; and since the refinery is in limbo right now, and they plan to import those fuels... They are pushing the CNG. The problem with that is when they remove the subsidy and you carrying this heavy bomb in your trunk.
Not sure how safe lithium battery packs are in a vehicle either (thinking crash safety)

Speaking about fuels being imported... Anyone know if they are being blended with ethanol

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » October 9th, 2018, 4:15 am

gas, and diesel burning out realllll fast.

i feel, if i hadda pull a trigger again, it will have to be fully electric. the hybrid making the case that a little bit of electricity goes a long way, and cheap, so might as well. by that time it might be a whole lot more common.

PariaMan
punchin NOS

Postby PariaMan » October 9th, 2018, 4:48 am

Same thinking here except the only choice we have now has a range of only 200km

Rory Phoulorie
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby Rory Phoulorie » October 9th, 2018, 6:00 am

kamakazi wrote:Speaking about fuels being imported... Anyone know if they are being blended with ethanol

Let us hope not. Or else that is the end of the fuel lines and other seals in the fuel system.

Kronik
18 pounds of Boost

Postby Kronik » October 9th, 2018, 12:09 pm

PariaMan wrote:Same thinking here except the only choice we have now has a range of only 200km
That should more than cover normal daily usage, just plug in to charge every night

jhonnieblue
Riding on 18's

Postby jhonnieblue » October 9th, 2018, 12:27 pm

Based on a levelized cost, it cost cng users get about 11km/1TTD. The ioniq gives about 7.1km/TTD ( based on 140 to fill up). You still get better bang for buck for CNG. Obviously you have to refill more often. That's the big difference in usage.
Right now I won't mind the all EV. Easier to charge at home rather than go a gas station.

Rory Phoulorie
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby Rory Phoulorie » October 9th, 2018, 12:33 pm

jhonnieblue wrote:Based on a levelized cost, it cost cng users get about 11km/1TTD. The ioniq gives about 7.1km/TTD ( based on 140 to fill up). You still get better bang for buck for CNG. Obviously you have to refill more often. That's the big difference in usage.
Right now I won't mind the all EV. Easier to charge at home rather than go a gas station.

So, other than the inconvenience of having to fill up more often, the CNG fuelled vehicle is cheaper to run than a hybrid and is less damaging to the environment than a hybrid?

mazdatt
3NE 2NR for life

Postby mazdatt » October 9th, 2018, 12:42 pm

CNG is heavily subsidized at $1/litre so once enough people start using it government will no longer be able to support the subsidy and it will have to be removed. Electric is the best long term bet but the price of the vehicles still too high for it to make financial sense.

PariaMan
punchin NOS

Postby PariaMan » October 9th, 2018, 12:57 pm

Kronik wrote:
PariaMan wrote:Same thinking here except the only choice we have now has a range of only 200km
That should more than cover normal daily usage, just plug in to charge every night
Nah boy have some land about 70 km from where I live one back and forth is 140 km if I have some other runs to make that will be cutting it close

Kronik
18 pounds of Boost

Postby Kronik » October 9th, 2018, 12:57 pm

jhonnieblue wrote:Based on a levelized cost, it cost cng users get about 11km/1TTD. The ioniq gives about 7.1km/TTD ( based on 140 to fill up). You still get better bang for buck for CNG. Obviously you have to refill more often. That's the big difference in usage.
That's fuel cost only, but when you factor in maintenance costs, it swings back in favour of the hybrids. What's the unsubsidized cost of CNG though?

PariaMan
punchin NOS

Postby PariaMan » October 9th, 2018, 1:03 pm

mazdatt wrote:CNG is heavily subsidized at $1/litre so once enough people start using it government will no longer be able to support the subsidy and it will have to be removed. Electric is the best long term bet but the price of the vehicles still too high for it to make financial sense.
I do not trust governments

Imagine you spend 12000 to convert

Expecting to make back your money in 3 years and the government suddenly changes the subsidy

Not farfetched since this was done with the tax exemptions on some of the hybrids which were expected to last till 2020
Last edited by PariaMan on October 9th, 2018, 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kronik
18 pounds of Boost

Postby Kronik » October 9th, 2018, 1:07 pm

PariaMan wrote:
Kronik wrote:
Nah boy have some land about 70 km from where I live one back and forth is 140 km if I have some other runs to make that will be cutting it close
Well nah, you hadda stick to diesel

PariaMan
punchin NOS

Postby PariaMan » October 9th, 2018, 1:09 pm

Kronik wrote:
PariaMan wrote:
Kronik wrote:
Well nah, you hadda stick to diesel
No if I get 300km range that will be good

The Kia Niro EV will give more than that

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”