The official WAZE GPS navigation thread

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

zcrugby
3NE 2NR for life

Re: Google Maps *HELPING T&T OUT*

Postby zcrugby » May 11th, 2011, 4:08 pm

saxman642 wrote:not cool!

Oh, Zcrugby, how do you propose the handling of uploading the changes in roadway in the el soccorro/aranguez/grand bazar area?

I was thinking of using my GPS plotter and doing some driving around to trace the roads ( I have the time to kill - I'm on vacation) and then uploading to the mapmaker with your help.

Let me know your thoughts...

thats all up to google, they have to updte their imagery, because it makes no sense us makin the map look how its supposed to look but the imagery still showing what it was before.. so yes SRASC is right, i think its time for another flood of complaints to google.

The only problem i see here is (and i know this because i just came back from that side) that its currently stil under major construction so if we were to get google (highly unlikely) to update everythin they would have to do it again pretty soon when all the road work is done. So do youll think we should wait untill then?

SRASC
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby SRASC » May 11th, 2011, 4:14 pm

I was thinking the same thing earlier, but was planning on making a drive to see for myself. But there are still parts that can for the very least get rid of the annoying cloud cover, particularly over Port of Spain.

Kiro_lee
Riding on 16's

Postby Kiro_lee » May 11th, 2011, 9:45 pm

http://www.google.com/mapmaker it seems that all along the eastern main road and PBR they keep getting mixed up between the two, at some point the main road is labelled bus route and vice versa.

mojosodope
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby mojosodope » May 11th, 2011, 10:22 pm

I had no clue we could even do this till I came across this thread, I'v started to add a couple places but I was wondering how exactly do I get my changes confirmed and how long do they take to be confirmed?

SRASC
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby SRASC » May 11th, 2011, 10:54 pm

Once they are done they will need to approved by either another Map Maker user (in that case a number of them) or a Google Map Maker official. Should there be anything wrong with it they will inform you to make the necessary changes prior to full approval & publication on the map database.

kes_vtec
12 pounds of Boost

Postby kes_vtec » May 12th, 2011, 7:13 am

what name are you signed in as?

janfar
punchin NOS

Postby janfar » May 12th, 2011, 5:03 pm

Ok guys... just joined the bandwagon... will assist with Mayaro as best as I can... even the side streets... my gmail is razoboi@gmail.com... dont know if this is the name that will show up on the pending maps...

SRASC
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby SRASC » May 12th, 2011, 5:07 pm

kes_vtec wrote:what name are you signed in as?

Same name as here

saxman642
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby saxman642 » May 12th, 2011, 5:26 pm

This morning I was dabbling in Ubuntu Linux and found there is another map maker that has the updates roads:

http://www.openstreetmap.org/

http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=10.62866&lon=-61.43568&zoom=16&layers=M

thoughts?

SRASC
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby SRASC » May 12th, 2011, 5:45 pm

POS looking like a teenager's face lol. Shows good progress though.

Yea, saxman642 I remember that. May have been brought up in this thread earlier. I suppose nothing's wrong with it. If parts of it could be imported into Map Maker database it would be good.

zcarz
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby zcarz » May 12th, 2011, 5:49 pm

can those maps (from mapmaker) be used on mobile devices (eg iphone, android)

zcrugby
3NE 2NR for life

Postby zcrugby » May 12th, 2011, 5:50 pm

saxman642 wrote:This morning I was dabbling in Ubuntu Linux and found there is another map maker that has the updates roads:

http://www.openstreetmap.org/

http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=10.62866&lon=-61.43568&zoom=16&layers=M

thoughts?

that doesnt look bad, "prettier" than google, BUT, very limited export options (even tho google has none). and aswell it has no sattellite view/hybrid view as far as i can see. correct me if im rong.. and it has ALOT of editing to do (which we can) but might it all be for no reason? what can we use these maps with? i also like how the high ways are split into two roads instead of one big road (going and coming)

zcrugby
3NE 2NR for life

Postby zcrugby » May 12th, 2011, 5:52 pm

zcarz wrote:can those maps (from mapmaker) be used on mobile devices (eg iphone, android)

earlier in this thread i updated iphone compatible maps of trinidad. will be out of date now tho. i lost the progrom i used to download them :( but its very useable, just have to download xgps from cydia and xgps manager to your computer to transfer the maps.

SRASC
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby SRASC » May 12th, 2011, 5:54 pm

zcarz wrote:can those maps (from mapmaker) be used on mobile devices (eg iphone, android)

Not that I know of, but the Map Maker database eventually is used as the Google Maps database which is what iPhones, Android phones, etc use. Since this thread was started they have done that, but the > 3 year old imagery & misaligned road data is still unfortunately used.

SRASC
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby SRASC » May 12th, 2011, 6:00 pm

Had to have used GPS to lay that out. One of the biggest problems of Google not updating the satellite imagery. God I hope they don't consider that 'update' they did earlier this year to say that Trinidad updated for now...

It has the option of using Yahoo (which is pointless), Bing (best option) & other OSM imagery. No Google Maps. Have to sign up to be able to access it though.

zcrugby
3NE 2NR for life

Postby zcrugby » May 12th, 2011, 6:08 pm

SRASC wrote:Image

Had to have used GPS to lay that out. One of the biggest problems of Google not updating the satellite imagery. God I hope they don't consider that 'update' they did earlier this year to say that Trinidad updated for now...

wow whoever is doin this work must be pretty serious about it.. srasc what are your thoughts on switchin over to this since google is so... google..

SRASC
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby SRASC » May 12th, 2011, 6:23 pm

At this point, I don't any reason to. Don't know of anything that uses this as a primary database.

mojosodope
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby mojosodope » May 12th, 2011, 6:23 pm

one more step towards making life more convenient , if everyone does their part and google actually updates the country satellites with some legit good quality pictures we should be on par on no time.
Last edited by mojosodope on May 12th, 2011, 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zcrugby
3NE 2NR for life

Postby zcrugby » May 12th, 2011, 6:24 pm

ok so, im currently downloading wat seems to be the map for the entire planet from openstreetmap. will check it out wen its finished tomoro. apparently the format is readable and convertible by and to many different devices and formats..

zcrugby
3NE 2NR for life

Postby zcrugby » May 12th, 2011, 6:29 pm

SRASC wrote:At this point, I don't any reason to. Don't know of anything that uses this as a primary database.

reason: it can be downloaded

zcrugby
3NE 2NR for life

Postby zcrugby » May 12th, 2011, 6:32 pm

zcrugby wrote:
SRASC wrote:At this point, I don't any reason to. Don't know of anything that uses this as a primary database.

and for ur benefit, ios is VERY much supported... http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Apple_iOS

mojosodope
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby mojosodope » May 12th, 2011, 6:33 pm

How for instance do I name these roads? when I click the find near this point and I rename it that way I have to re draw the road points causing an overlap and the reviewer said to undo my edit and start the road over as new but I don't know how to do that...

Arouca

*photo upload fail -_-

zcrugby
3NE 2NR for life

Postby zcrugby » May 12th, 2011, 6:34 pm

zcrugby wrote:
zcrugby wrote:

and for ur benefit, ios is VERY much supported... http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Apple_iOS

and soon to b for my benefit.. android... http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Android

zcarz
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby zcarz » May 12th, 2011, 6:43 pm

the navdroyd maps on android phones uses it

zcrugby
3NE 2NR for life

Postby zcrugby » May 12th, 2011, 6:52 pm

personally srasc, i think we should make the switch, and quick, because the longer we stay at mapmaker is the more time we waste. face it google will update, but when? we have been working on this so long now. i say lets go to openstreetmap. and as u can see its fairly updated (road structure wise) we jus need to add road names and POI.. who else agrees?

zcarz
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby zcarz » May 12th, 2011, 6:54 pm

^that would be great, i have the navdroyd app on my android and if it had the detail of the work you guys put into mapmaker, it would actually be usable on a lot of devices, and immediately

M_2NR
not Admin

Re: Google MapMaker/OpenStreetMaps | Mapping Trinidad & Toba

Postby M_2NR » May 13th, 2011, 12:24 am

City maps 2go:
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/city-map ... 83342?mt=8

works on iphone and pulls from openmaps

but thing is can openmaps pull from google? because all the geodata and streets etc there already... why waste time plotting when we could just edit and shift the tile around no?

Tired Accord
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby Tired Accord » May 13th, 2011, 8:01 am

zcrugby wrote:

earlier in this thread i updated iphone compatible maps of trinidad. will be out of date now tho. i lost the progrom i used to download them :( but its very useable, just have to download xgps from cydia and xgps manager to your computer to transfer the maps.

Hold on hold on....zcrugby Are you saying that with these xgps applications, one can download and export maps to say....a jailbroken iPad 3G, and be used without a wireless data connection? :roll: :roll:

kes_vtec
12 pounds of Boost

Postby kes_vtec » May 13th, 2011, 8:58 am

openstreet looking very good....
so guys what are we going to do...

can we do both..., if you make a edit in google do it on openstreet...

SUPAstarr
punchin NOS

Postby SUPAstarr » May 13th, 2011, 9:21 am

an anybody explain how i can download the map an data to use offline?

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”