Beggars and Choosers - Express Article

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

saxman642
Chronic TriniTuner

Beggars and Choosers - Express Article

Postby saxman642 » September 4th, 2011, 7:28 am

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/woman-ma ... 71378.html

Beggars and Choosers… Should we place conditions on our charity?

Story Created: Sep 2, 2011 at 10:56 PM ECT

Story Updated: Sep 2, 2011 at 10:56 PM ECT

Some time ago, standing in line at a Maraval pizzeria, I was so engrossed in my own thoughts that I didn't notice the young woman - a girl really, standing practically in my armpit, mumbling. As I looked over my shoulder she took a half step back and whispered, "Yuh could help me out? I just tryin' to make taxi fare home." A bit uncomfortable with her proximity, I took one step forward and asked, "Where is home?" She replied, "South, deep south." Curiosity peaked, I asked again; "You came all the way into POS, without enough money to get home?" She hesitated for a moment and then offered, "Ah did come to check out a job but it didn't work out." I enquired further. "And how much will get you home?" Visibly annoyed she sucked her teeth and said, "Look, just… anything you could spare nah." Perhaps it was the change in her tone or the fact that I perceived her checking out her next mark, a senior citizen who had just walked in; but with a detachment that I've learned to turn on and off like a switch, I said, "Sorry, can't help." Later that evening I thought of the 'girl'. I wondered who else had she tackled, had she made it home? In a moment of introspection I thought about how often I had not acceded to a solicitation because I had automatically run through a mental checklist of conditions which I believed all alms-seekers should satisfy, and which she (South girl) because of her 'attitude' had failed to meet?

Reflecting on it, I recall how I came to create the criteria I applied universally to such scenarios. It was due in part to the amputee beggar in Port of Spain, who caught me off guard one afternoon at the traffic lights, at the junction of Park and Frederick Streets. Utterly destitute, he approached with his lone arm outstretched, his long, dirty fingernails threatening like talons on a paw. Moved by his condition, I reached for a pack of biscuits, 'vital supplies' tucked among the top-up groceries I had just purchased and had set next to me in the front passenger seat. I placed the pack in the indigent's palm and was about to enjoy that warm, fuzzy feeling attendant to doing a good deed when I heard, "And what to wash this down with…spit?" "Excuse me?" I asked, incredulous. "Gih me dat bottle ah juice (in the bag) nah?" He demanded. "What the firetruck…" I fumed; but before I could give him another piece of my mind, the light had changed to green and my beggar had proceeded north, biscuits in hand. Well, colour me red with ire: I had just had my first encounter with a choosy beggar. It was then and there in uptown traffic that I resolved to compile a list of eligibles: - those 'beggars' who would be future beneficiaries of my charity. Topping the list were children: followed by the disabled, next - anyone with a physical deformity, and finally, older folk in general. Excluded from the list were (once discernable) the mentally unhinged and young, able-bodied men and women who could be pressed to earn their bread.

Mind you, I know people who steadfastly refuse to give alms to anyone because their (tortured) reasoning is that all indigents are drug users and any help given will go into a vein or up a nostril. While I don't subscribe to the latter view, I will admit that I have remonstrated with my mother for emptying the pantry every time someone stopped at our front gate begging for food. I would reproach her saying, "You're just encouraging them in bad habits. Let them do something in the yard for the food." My mother, bless her big, compassionate heart would turn to me and say, "There but for the grace of God go I…or you. There are no conditions on my charity." That stance was a sticking point for me because I knew that in some respects my mother was right. Yet, when I encountered a bogey, like the boy outside the grocery in Valsayn, who stopped me on my way out and begged for something, anything to eat; and I handed him the quarter rotisserie chicken I had purchased for my lunch; which he handed back to me and said, "Thanks tanty, but I doh deal up in dead…yuh could spare some cash?" I was right back at par asking; why shouldn't we have conditions for, and pick and choose from among those who 'beg' and at times even prey upon our compassion? I suppose for me the question arose because on some level I did feel 'ah-how' about my policy of selective disbursement, and was seeking an intermediary for my conscience because when compared with my mother, I suspected that there may have been less mercury in my moral barometer.

Then sometime later, the arbiter came in the form of the bag boy (at the grocery); whom I tipped twenty dollars, and then saw take it from his pocket and without batting an eyelid, gave it to a hapless hobo (sitting) on a crate nearby. From that gesture came some clarity. You see, all along I had been making this about me. I had substituted 'conditions' for judgment; when at the end of the day it was/is really only about 'the need'. Thing is, the palm extended, whether attached to young or old, disabled or able-bodied could, even with the Grace of God, by accident of birth or calamity of circumstance, have been me. So the next time I'm asked by anyone, "Miss yuh could help me out?"…there is no hesitation, no checklist, no conditions to satisfy: just a gentle aide memoire… that he or she gives twice who gives quickly.

Some beggars' quotes highlighted in red.

So how do Tuners deal with beggars? What have been your experiences?

SR
Chief Cook & Instigator

Re: Beggars and Choosers - Express Article

Postby SR » September 4th, 2011, 7:35 am

there are some who honestly need it and there are others who run buisness of begging

99% beggars in pos and by any traffic light its a job for them to beg

just my opinion

also 99% who walk aroundresidential areas with some letter signed months ago that thier house bun down etc just looking to scam or scoping out the neighbourhood to come visit when its quiet

DFC
2NRholic

Postby DFC » September 4th, 2011, 7:44 am

I give without thinking twice about it.

Because sometimes, they really need it.
And it won't kill me to give a $5 of $10 to help someone. Because sometimes I waste money on all kinda useless sheit.

I begged in the street once when I was in a foreign country. I was stranded, No one speaking english, no $ in my pocket, and its due to random strangers charity that I got to get home.

I cried that day...because it was only then I realise the value of money and how important it is to help people.

So yeh...
Give freely my brothers.

goalpost
punchin NOS

Postby goalpost » September 4th, 2011, 7:52 am

It depends. Any that come up into my personal space and badger me, then not a cent. There were a few by UWI that I used to give. One of them actually washed my car when I park it by UWI Roti Hall for the day.

Stephon.
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Stephon. » September 4th, 2011, 7:54 am

LMAO @ Helping out beggers in Trinidad on the whole. That "deep south" traveling money have been used too many times.

Situation 1 - I was in a bar in POS waiting on someone to finish their business in the bank, couple of friends and I were having drinks, a girl came in with another older woman. She approached me after getting some money from some other ppl at the bar and said "Can I have some money to go home, I live in south, I came in town for a job and the man set us up and we don't have money to go home". I said, well you should have walked with extra money, why were you so dependent on the money you were going to make today? She told me that if I was in her situation I would understand, she proceeded to ask me again and I told her to leave my friends and I alone, she got mad and left.

Situation 2 - Mausica Road, traffic lights to go onto the highway, young boy selling water/coke etc. I forgot to pick up a water from home and I was desperately thirsty, I bought a water for seven dollars. After buying the water he told me to wind my window back down, so I did. He said "Eh yuh could lend me a 20 dollars awa, I does see you by this light all the time I go pay you back." I couldn't even reply, I just put my window back up and ignored his signs for me to wind my window back down until the light turned back on green. Why the hell you asking for money when you already working selling water, maybe it's not enough money you making at the end of the day but you done selling the water for seven dollars, you already robbed me leave me alone.

Situation 3 - NEVER give money to these people, the people in the front of the banks and in the mall that claim they're selling charitable tickets for twenty dollars, it's a scam, none of them are legit, they deserve to die.

DFC wrote:I begged in the street once when I was in a foreign country. I was stranded, No one speaking english, no $ in my pocket, and its due to random strangers charity that I got to get home.

Lucky you, unfortunately if the country was filled with people like me you would still be stranded :? I'm glad you're safe now, but I just can't tell anymore, the fake ones made it bad for the genuine people that actually are in need of help in Trinidad. Then again if it was another country I probably would have helped. I just won't ever help a "begger" in this particular country.

DFC
2NRholic

Postby DFC » September 4th, 2011, 7:59 am

No one deserves to die stephon.

Not everyone have easy money.

Its a hard life out there, men hustling and breaking back to eat ah food.

As a human being its our duty to help our fellow man. No matter scam or not, everybody tryna make ah make ah money boidanboi.

Stephon.
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Stephon. » September 4th, 2011, 8:05 am

I know this, but what I don't like is the dishonest people that lie to get money out of your pockets, It's just as unfair to me. After my experiences with "beggers" in the past then figuring them out after giving them money, I decided to never hand over money to any of them. All of my charity goes to RC

ru$$ell
30 pounds of Boost

Postby ru$$ell » September 4th, 2011, 8:07 am

Depends on how said person approaches me determines if i'll give money or not,If they ask for food,i wont hesitate,i rather buy something for someone to eat ,beggar or otherwise than fork out cash. To much chemical's in this place claiming to want money to buy something to eat,and when you do offer them,most of the time their response is "nah fadda,i doh eat that."

r3iXmann
punchin NOS

Postby r3iXmann » September 4th, 2011, 8:14 am

I almost always brace them..especially those kids

A remember some years ago..some friends and I went Mario's and bought a family lime pack or something so..we werent really thirsty so only one person took one cup of the soft drink (a 2L) and we tightened it back. Walking outside, a begger was like "Oh goar fellas gimmeh ah lil see jink nuh?". We gave him the bottle and his first comment was "Wait nah..allyuh drink from dis? wey de ress?" and gave us this real vex look..everybody was like :|

DFC
2NRholic

Postby DFC » September 4th, 2011, 8:15 am

Just last night, some random kid approached me for $ and I had $7 in my wallet and I gave him $5.
I was in a foodplace so I figured he wanted to buy something to eat.
I dunno where he went after.

Who knows, maybe he will remember me ....and sometime later down the road, I'm in a dire situation and he recognises me and comes to help.

What goes around comes around.
So always help when u can.

Stephon.
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Stephon. » September 4th, 2011, 8:19 am

Bless your heart.

DFC
2NRholic

Postby DFC » September 4th, 2011, 8:23 am

Stephon. wrote:Bless your heart.

And touch my bamsee too?

Stephon.
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Stephon. » September 4th, 2011, 8:26 am

:lol: lolwtf? how about no :?

DFC
2NRholic

Postby DFC » September 4th, 2011, 8:30 am

Stephon. wrote::lol: lolwtf? how about no :?

But u want to ent?

I'm outta here :arrow:

skylinechild
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby skylinechild » September 4th, 2011, 8:33 am

went chaguanas licensing office once .....some random beggar asked me for $10..i told him look there's a car wash it and i'll give you $40.....they guy said he not interested.....go figure...

a friend of mine told me a young fella not more than 17 yrs ask him for $5......my friend said no problem i'll giv you $50...come and help me in the garden...the young fella say if he wanted a work he woulda check CEPEP....he jus want $5......go figure.....

some ppl just on the streets because they naturally LAZY.....and i kno we shouldnt think like that cause we dont know who actually needs help and who doesnt.....but some ppl are just leeches on society.....

ismithx
punchin NOS

Postby ismithx » September 4th, 2011, 8:41 am

but look nah, we should really not be giving these beggars handouts... it is their business... you know how much a day they make??? My dad has a couple stories well of people asking him for money to get home/something else.... and see them doing it to another person not too long after....

dont give. we are only supporting their dependency and laziness...

DFC
2NRholic

Postby DFC » September 4th, 2011, 8:48 am

Aside from the talk of laziness and "why can't they help themselves?"
Leeches in society...whatever.

Beggars are people too, victims of social injustice.

Its a vicious cycle meng....if someone don't help them...who will?
And what would be the end result?

toyota2nr
18 pounds of Boost

Postby toyota2nr » September 4th, 2011, 8:59 am

I remember i was at the traffic lights at the end of Mucurapo Road waiting for the lights to change when a beggar approached the car and asked for money. I always see him begging at the lights so without hesitating I dipped into the center console and took out some random change and handed to him. The man start to quarrel and say that fifty cents is not enough and he wants five dollars.

I said if you don't want it leave it there, if fact give me back my f**king fifty cents. He threw it back on the seat and I drove off watching him quarreling in the back. I will always help where I can but some of them too boldface with it.

DFC
2NRholic

Postby DFC » September 4th, 2011, 9:10 am

One time I was limin in palmiste park with some friends.

Some random vagrant come up to we asking for money.

Mah friend says...we have kfc.. and I'll give u a piece if u dance for we.

Beggar says..buh I cyah dance without music.

I pull out fone and play some machel...

D vagrant start to go down and real wine and he enjoying it...holding on d tree and doing dutty wine and everything.

He collect he chicken and a complimentary fries and dancing going down d road.

He real enjoy he self and we tell him to learn some breakdancing next time and he'll get bbq.

Rory Phoulorie
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby Rory Phoulorie » September 4th, 2011, 9:13 am

Give a man a fish, feed him for a day; teach a man to fish, feed him for a lifetime.

One time in a service station, a young boy rode up on a bike and asked me for $5. I told him to clean my windscreen and I will PAY him $5 for the service, even though I could very well do it myself. The boy just sat on his bike and was giving me the cartoon stare. I then said, well try and earn the $5 and wipe my headlights clean, still he gave me the cartoon stare. I then said, sell me those old rubber slippers for $20...nothing...the boy just rode off...all this time the service station attendant laughing his ass off.

A next time I emptied all the change out of my ashtray, probably close to $5, and gave a beggar by the lights by Trincity Mall. He watched the change in his hand, steups and pelt it on the road.

Beggars don't get free money from me anymore. They have to earn it. I don't take advantage of them, I just give them simple tasks which are worth even less than what I will PAY them.

shaneelal
Riding on 16's

Postby shaneelal » September 4th, 2011, 9:15 am

What about those people begging with physical disabilities like bent arms/legs. Shouldn't these people be getting disability grants? I suspect their family is cashing in their money. It's hard not to give these people something cause you know they can't be faking it and they don't have the opportunities like we have to earn money. I don't give to the one's looking healthy who could get work as a labourer.

We sometimes forget that we're only here for a short period of time and money isn't everything.

bushwakka
punchin NOS

Postby bushwakka » September 4th, 2011, 9:53 am

doh deal up in dead lol!

X_Factor
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby X_Factor » September 4th, 2011, 10:04 am

i would give after doing a quick visual assessment....sometimes i would even give without they asking....
$5 or 10$ wont kill me and i would do it with good intentions, what they do with it after its their prob and would have to pay for it in their own way

Bizzare
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Bizzare » September 4th, 2011, 10:08 am

I've been in similar situations like DFC but didn't really reach to begging per se. Even before those events, I gave to anyone who SEEMED to need my $10 more than I did if I can afford to do so at the moment. At the end of the day, its not our concern if they gonna use our money to buy drugs etc or if they're just plain scamming us. If so they'll be dealt with sooner or later by life itself. Cuz I know for a fact that giving is one of the best things you can do to help yourself while helping others. Its a win win. Every opportunity to help someone is actually an opportunity for you.

Its sad when someone with so much wealth doesn't even give a cent to the needy whose right there on the streets begging or their own neighbor who's going through a rough period, but they prefer to appear in pics signing over a large amount of money to some charitable organisation or give only where recognizable.
Some say how the guy on the streets could be scamming you. Hahaha, I laugh at that cuz its more likely easier for the management of a charity to handle money without anyone knowing.

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » September 4th, 2011, 10:17 am

In before pioneer....

rfari
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rfari » September 4th, 2011, 10:40 am

i doh fall for the tricks. some like to brace you outside food outlets or the grocery for money to buy something to eat. steups, you coulda ask me that on my way in homie. small thing, i go back in side and buy dem a snack and a drink. i not gonna give you money to buy drugs homie unless i frigging selling it. and doh beatup too cus that go be the last time you get sh.it from me.

a time i was yamming down some doubles by hot sauce in curepe and the homeless with the weird mouth ask me for something to eat. i tell him i'll buy doubles for him and as i about to make a u-turn back to the doubles stand he say that his doctor say that he cyar eat doubles. hahaha. i continue to my vehicle and tell him to go fu.ck himself. he doh play he coming rong me again.

homeboy
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby homeboy » September 4th, 2011, 10:44 am

My wife told me the guy who does be at the traffic lights by Gulf City ask her for something, so she took all the single dollars she has in the pocket rolled up about 20 dollars and just crack her glass and gave him all........he took it and walk off, next thing she said he knock on her glass, she send it down and he trow back in some of the money......lol......

Stephon.
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Stephon. » September 4th, 2011, 10:51 am

rfari wrote:i doh fall for the tricks. some like to brace you outside food outlets or the grocery for money to buy something to eat. steups, you coulda ask me that on my way in homie. small thing, i go back in side and buy dem a snack and a drink. i not gonna give you money to buy drugs homie unless i frigging selling it. and doh beatup too cus that go be the last time you get sh.it from me.

The way you speak :lol: ROFL!!!! I can't help but hear it in Samual L Jackson's voice, shouting at me like I stole his puppy or something :lol:

Bizzare
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Bizzare » September 4th, 2011, 10:57 am

Some people go so far as to treating animals better than Human Beings. Tsk Tsk Tsk......

Nasrallah
Sweet on this forum

Postby Nasrallah » September 4th, 2011, 10:57 am

Just walk around with no cash...any business place that don't have Linx aint worth patronizing.

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”