this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

bluefete
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: ***THE FARMERS CHED***

Postby bluefete » October 17th, 2020, 11:08 am

Kitchen Garden farmer here:

Advice needed:

1. So I put this sweet potato in some manure but left it above ground. It has started to sprout some very green leaves. The leaves are growing like a vine.

My question is: Do sweet potatoes grow above ground? How long would I have to wait?

2. I started to grow some sweet peppers. They started flowering and then I noticed the tree wilting badly.

Is this a normal thing?

3. I just planted some ginger in the ground. I am hoping for the best. What is the time to maturity?

Ripe Chenette
Sweet on this forum

Postby Ripe Chenette » October 18th, 2020, 7:52 pm

bluefete wrote:Kitchen Garden farmer here:

Advice needed:

1. So I put this sweet potato in some manure but left it above ground. It has started to sprout some very green leaves. The leaves are growing like a vine.

My question is: Do sweet potatoes grow above ground? How long would I have to wait?

2. I started to grow some sweet peppers. They started flowering and then I noticed the tree wilting badly.

Is this a normal thing?

3. I just planted some ginger in the ground. I am hoping for the best. What is the time to maturity?

The sweet potato go spread out a good bit if you pull one out you go see it starting to root. when the vines turn yellow then you know is time to harvest.

bluefete
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby bluefete » October 19th, 2020, 1:42 pm

Ripe Chenette wrote:
bluefete wrote:Kitchen Garden farmer here:

Advice needed:

Is this a normal thing?

The sweet potato go spread out a good bit if you pull one out you go see it starting to root. when the vines turn yellow then you know is time to harvest.

Thank you for the advice. Much appreciated.

d.d.s.
Sweet on this forum

Postby d.d.s. » October 25th, 2020, 9:28 pm

Guys, I'm looking for a few red ochro seedlings for my kitchen garden, preferably up north side.

Hwells
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Hwells » November 2nd, 2020, 12:28 am

thread inactive boi weii, if i want to get a wasa connection on a land for agriculture, any adivce?
land is 2 acres no property on it, surrounding area is bush, however it is located along the main road through the area.

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 88sins » November 2nd, 2020, 8:10 am

Hwells wrote:thread inactive boi weii, if i want to get a wasa connection on a land for agriculture, any adivce?
land is 2 acres no property on it, surrounding area is bush, however it is located along the main road through the area.

Take meh advice
Don't tell them it's for agriculture. Just go with the residential connection, it will cost you less. tell them is one small shack and it only have a pit latrine and one standpipe and an outdoor cooking area.
After they run the lines to the property, buy tanks and store water like yuh going mad.

Wasa will lease you permission to pull water from a nearby river, for a minimum charge of 120/month, and that goes up according to the size of the land you plan to irrigate. I don't recall that wasa has an actual agricultural connection from the main supply lines.

Hwells
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Hwells » November 4th, 2020, 12:24 pm

88sins wrote:
Hwells wrote:thread inactive boi weii, if i want to get a wasa connection on a land for agriculture, any adivce?

Take meh advice
Don't tell them it's for agriculture. Just go with the residential connection, it will cost you less. tell them is one small shack and it only have a pit latrine and one standpipe and an outdoor cooking area.
After they run the lines to the property, buy tanks and store water like yuh going mad.

Wasa will lease you permission to pull water from a nearby river, for a minimum charge of 120/month, and that goes up according to the size of the land you plan to irrigate. I don't recall that wasa has an actual agricultural connection from the main supply lines.

area is not nearby any housing areas, nor near my current home location. So buying tanks for water storage might have a problem with theft if someone decide to pop up and thief them as they would literally be just sitting there in the bush for the taking. it might even be visible from the road side.

unless i cover it up good with some bush :(

Chimera
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Chimera » November 4th, 2020, 1:29 pm

you can consider using ibc containers for water storage instead.

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 88sins » November 4th, 2020, 2:14 pm

Hwells wrote:
area is not nearby any housing areas, nor near my current home location. So buying tanks for water storage might have a problem with theft if someone decide to pop up and thief them as they would literally be just sitting there in the bush for the taking. it might even be visible from the road side.

ibc storage is a good idea but ppl teefin dat too eh.
could put a game camera or two up in a tree nearby to watch them, something with motion sensors that can take stills and video.
at least if someone does steal them you will have the footage with vehicle numbers & their faces so you could know who & you can decide the next step.

De Dragon
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby De Dragon » November 4th, 2020, 4:51 pm

88sins wrote:
Hwells wrote:

ibc storage is a good idea but ppl teefin dat too eh.
could put a game camera or two up in a tree nearby to watch them, something with motion sensors that can take stills and video.
at least if someone does steal them you will have the footage with vehicle numbers & their faces so you could know who & you can decide the next step.

Cast it and put some dummy cameras

Chimera
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Chimera » November 4th, 2020, 6:39 pm

if yuh want a dozen old cameras check meh,
could screw them up on the trees around and connect it to 4x4 pvc box with fake antenna and something solar panel looking lol

viedcht
Riding on 18's

Postby viedcht » November 7th, 2020, 7:50 pm

Anyone have experience with dragonfruit? Set some seeds, they sprouted/germinated in pro mix, but is like two weeks and they not growing from that stage. Any help?

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » November 7th, 2020, 7:55 pm

perhaps they need a certain fertilizer mix at this point. Or manure and molehill them up so they can get trunk support. I know peas are like that, where they need moleing to get past the first stage.

Look i found this from the Min. of Agriculture:

Nutrients needed by Plant
• In the soil before planting – 12:24:12 + TE
• While growing – 20:10:10 + TE
• While flowering and fruiting – 9:6:24 + TE
• Seedlings after they are transplanted– 20:20:20 + TE (equal parts of all N: P: K but at a high level and soluble so plant can access it easily.
https://agriculture.gov.tt/publications/fertilizing-and-weed-control/

edit: I've been checking a few websites and they say that dragon fruit is a cactus so don't water it too often, make sure there's good soil drainage (this is what the molehill will help with), soil should be a bit sandy and slightly acidic, and that dragon fruit plants are climbers so give them a stake or something else to climb on. Hope this will help.

viedcht
Riding on 18's

Postby viedcht » November 8th, 2020, 10:15 am

Yeah did some research as well, these are them after two weeks germinating, after sown three days before.
IMG_20201108_101034.jpeg
IMG_20201108_101008.jpeg

bluefete
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby bluefete » November 8th, 2020, 10:34 am

Wow. All that? I just put them in the ground and is WASA or rain water and sun. Hot peppers coming nice, peas leaves looking good, ginger in ground sprouting, new tomato plant flowering (have to watch that closely though because I have some cretins in the soil that damaged the last one), sorrel leaves looking okay for now. Oh, use manure as well in the soil.

I did have some problems with sweet peppers where the plants dried up suddenly. They were close to where the last tomato was planted.

When crop done, I will take a hoe and turn over the soil.

Neighbour gave me some blue thing to mix in water to help with bearing. Did not use too much of it first time. None as yet in this rounds.

maj. tom wrote:perhaps they need a certain fertilizer mix at this point. Or manure and molehill them up so they can get trunk support. I know peas are like that, where they need moleing to get past the first stage.

Look i found this from the Min. of Agriculture:

Nutrients needed by Plant
• In the soil before planting – 12:24:12 + TE
• While growing – 20:10:10 + TE
• While flowering and fruiting – 9:6:24 + TE
• Seedlings after they are transplanted– 20:20:20 + TE (equal parts of all N: P: K but at a high level and soluble so plant can access it easily.
https://agriculture.gov.tt/publications/fertilizing-and-weed-control/

edit: I've been checking a few websites and they say that dragon fruit is a cactus so don't water it too often, make sure there's good soil drainage (this is what the molehill will help with), soil should be a bit sandy and slightly acidic, and that dragon fruit plants are climbers so give them a stake or something else to climb on. Hope this will help.

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » November 8th, 2020, 10:40 am

The soil by you probably very fertile. And crop rotation and soil tilling helps restore the balance. And you probably being modest; farming and being successful takes a lot of skill, knowledge and hard work.

Check the Ministry of Agriculture website, they have publications for some of the crops you posted there. Rel thing we didn't know. https://agriculture.gov.tt/category/crops-publications/ Page 2 has hot peppers. They have videos too on how to identify what nutrients the soil is lacking through the plant leaves, etc.

bluefete
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby bluefete » November 9th, 2020, 3:47 pm

Thanks maj.tom. Really good information from the MoA. Very much appreciated.

Don't get tied up with my planting eh. My space realllll small because part of the ground is rocky. I have a small lime tree growing on the rocky ground.

I also have some sorrel, peas and tomato plants in pots. The sorrel in the pot are bearing already (planted less than 2 months ago) but the sorrel in the ground taking longer to grow. Tomatoes flowering in the pots and in the ground. But the one in the ground, I have to watch the leaves closely.

I don't like using chemicals at all on my crops. Closest I would come is using soap water to kill some critters like mites or blight (found on soursop leaves).

One thing I did not realize is how much water it takes to feed the few plants. Trying to be more scientific in that approach.

The sweet potato brochure is wow. I put one on the ground and surrounded it with manure. So far the leaves look healthy.

maj. tom wrote:The soil by you probably very fertile. And crop rotation and soil tilling helps restore the balance. And you probably being modest; farming and being successful takes a lot of skill, knowledge and hard work.

Check the Ministry of Agriculture website, they have publications for some of the crops you posted there. Rel thing we didn't know. https://agriculture.gov.tt/category/crops-publications/ Page 2 has hot peppers. They have videos too on how to identify what nutrients the soil is lacking through the plant leaves, etc.

NR8
Riding on 18's

Postby NR8 » November 9th, 2020, 8:30 pm

What size pot do you have the sorrel in?

bluefete
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby bluefete » November 10th, 2020, 12:32 pm

NR8 wrote:What size pot do you have the sorrel in?

A 25 inches diameter pot. Not very large. I think I put some potted mix in first before inserting the sorrel.

I have 2 plants in that pot. Both seem to be doing fine so far.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » November 10th, 2020, 2:36 pm

how do you mix the soap water for spraying on blight white furry bugs?

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 88sins » November 10th, 2020, 5:05 pm

pugboy wrote:how do you mix the soap water for spraying on blight white furry bugs?

Boi I hear sone people say dat does work, and others say it don't. For my yard, I tried it a few times years ago on the few trees and plants in the yard with that problem and saw no results worthy of mention.

Since then I switched to using permethrin concentrate. It's a synthetic version of a chemical compound found in the chrysanthemum plant. It cheap, don't need to use much for it to be effective or make enough mixture to cover a whole yard and it's very effective on practically all insects and arachnids.
Haven't had any problem with insects or other pests or parasites since I started using it years ago, other than dem blasted caterpillar eating out meh pakchoi. I don't use it on short crops tho, only on trees and decorative plants, but that's just my own preference.

meccalli
punchin NOS

Postby meccalli » November 10th, 2020, 5:25 pm

88sins wrote:
pugboy wrote:how do you mix the soap water for spraying on blight white furry bugs?

Boi I hear sone people say dat does work, and others say it don't. For my yard, I tried it a few times years ago on the few trees and plants in the yard with that problem and saw no results worthy of mention.

Since then I switched to using permethrin concentrate. It's a synthetic version of a chemical compound found in the chrysanthemum plant. It cheap, don't need to use much for it to be effective or make enough mixture to cover a whole yard and it's very effective on practically all insects and arachnids.
Haven't had any problem with insects or other pests or parasites since I started using it years ago, other than dem blasted caterpillar eating out meh pakchoi. I don't use it on short crops tho, only on trees and decorative plants, but that's just my own preference.

bacillus thuringiensis, ecologically safe and can even be used in drinking water. Disintegrates their intestines..

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 88sins » November 10th, 2020, 7:08 pm

Nice.
Go look for it in the morning.

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » November 11th, 2020, 7:19 pm

75 ml of dish soap per liter water.

bluefete
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby bluefete » November 11th, 2020, 8:37 pm

adnj wrote:
75 ml of dish soap per liter water.

Yup.

You could also try soap powder in the same amount.

JDM_23
Ricer

Postby JDM_23 » November 12th, 2020, 9:58 am

Anyone inside here does sell seasoning such as celery and chive, if so exactly how much is included in a bundle.

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 88sins » November 12th, 2020, 10:27 am

JDM_23 wrote:Anyone inside here does sell seasoning such as celery and chive, if so exactly how much is included in a bundle.

define "bundle"
it have ppl selling in bulk (all you get is chive alone or celery alone )and it have ppl selling retail a little of one & the other & a few other types of seasonings in the small bundles ppl buy to cook food home

JDM_23
Ricer

Postby JDM_23 » November 12th, 2020, 10:39 am

88sins wrote:
JDM_23 wrote:Anyone inside here does sell seasoning such as celery and chive, if so exactly how much is included in a bundle.

define "bundle"
it have ppl selling in bulk (all you get is chive alone or celery alone )and it have ppl selling retail a little of one & the other & a few other types of seasonings in the small bundles ppl buy to cook food home

Sorry about that I am talking about wholesale bulk ones like in the farmers markets not the retail ones the market stalls sell.

D.S.S
Sweet on this forum

Postby D.S.S » November 12th, 2020, 10:46 am

Good day all i have a field of mx cassava almost ready for reaping.... Offers invited for the entire field. Melting in the pot.

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 88sins » November 12th, 2020, 11:39 am

JDM_23 wrote:
88sins wrote:

define "bundle"

Sorry about that I am talking about wholesale bulk ones like in the farmers markets not the retail ones the market stalls sell.

last price I kno was about 40-50/bundle, never checked how many in it tho, but it does be plenty, definitely more than 100 pcs.
will call a friend to find out how he sells it.

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”