Re: Building a house in Trinidad

Postby daring dragoon » February 9th, 2021, 6:18 am

where sells wallpaper in Trinidad ?

The_Honourable
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby The_Honourable » February 11th, 2021, 12:47 pm

Quick question...

What is the minimum size of land that Town & Country approves for residential purposes. I believe 5,000sq ft (one lot)?

A man now tell me he want to build "something" on 2,500sq ft of land :?

Ryan197912
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Ryan197912 » February 11th, 2021, 1:05 pm

Minimum lot size is 3200sq feet

Chimera
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Chimera » February 11th, 2021, 1:26 pm

The_Honourable wrote:Quick question...

What is the minimum size of land that Town & Country approves for residential purposes. I believe 5,000sq ft (one lot)?

ent hdc houses is quarter lots?

The_Honourable
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby The_Honourable » February 11th, 2021, 6:46 pm

Phone Surgeon wrote:

If that is the case, I didn't even notice.

Ryan197912 wrote:Minimum lot size is 3200sq feet

Really? You know if this is documented anywhere? Like in the T&C act or something?

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » February 11th, 2021, 9:45 pm

The_Honourable wrote:
Phone Surgeon wrote:

If that is the case, I didn't even notice.

Ryan197912 wrote:Minimum lot size is 3200sq feet

Really? You know if this is documented anywhere? Like in the T&C act or something?

T&C's Application Guide has used a 12m x 25m (3229 sq ft) parcel as an example for many years. That same guide tells you that 15m x 37.5m (6055 sq ft) is the minimum parcel size for new residential developments. And there are no restrictions on T&C making the minimum anything that they believe is appropriate for the area. So, the definitive answer is: whatever T&C decides for your application.

fokhan_96
Riding on 17's

Postby fokhan_96 » February 12th, 2021, 5:23 am

Anyone know where i can buy a bracket like this for a pressure tank?
holdrite-water-heater-accessories-qs-u-64_1000.jpeg

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » February 12th, 2021, 7:10 am

Make your own bracket using some 36" nylon cable ties (zip ties). You'll have to join about two together to get the circumference, but it should work just as effectively.

h1tach1
Street 2NR

Postby h1tach1 » February 12th, 2021, 10:29 pm

Phone Surgeon wrote:Yea they do. I sold a pile of scrap like two weeks ago for 3k.

After that I find out the scrap iron men sold for it.9k lol.

So I have some massive metal items sitting in the yard a long time now....looking to drop it at scrap iron yard myself
Kenjo wrote:
Phone Surgeon wrote:how much to rent a hiab these days?

i have some big items to move around as well as some i might want to take to the scrapyard to sell.

Do these scrap iron men going around actually pay people for batteries and such or they consider themselves as doing a ‘ favor ‘ to remove items ?any average of prices or once you don’t mention money they don’t mention it either ?

I have some stuff to get rid of as well. Looking for scrap yard recommendations.

ProtonPowder
Riding on 18's

Postby ProtonPowder » February 12th, 2021, 11:19 pm

Phone Surgeon wrote:

Only time you would see a HDC deed schedule refer to a size of 1200sf is if is referring to a townhouse or apartment and it is more relevant to talk about wall and floor severances than land size.

In HDC developments where there are single detached homes the land is normal size from 4000-6000+sf depending on the development layout.

supercharged turbo
punchin NOS

Postby supercharged turbo » February 21st, 2021, 8:32 am

Any projections on galvanize prices for the next few months?

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » February 21st, 2021, 10:19 am

fokhan_96 wrote:Anyone know where i can buy a bracket like this for a pressure tank?
holdrite-water-heater-accessories-qs-u-64_1000.jpeg
You can use duct band clamps if you choose to make your own base. They come in sizes up to 14 inches IIRC.

Joshie23
Riding on 16's

Postby Joshie23 » February 22nd, 2021, 6:38 am

All,

Looking for backfill to raise an approximately 5,080 sq. ft. lot in the Penal area by about four feet. PM with details, contacts, prices, etc.

TIA.

Wolfgang123
Street 2NR

Postby Wolfgang123 » February 24th, 2021, 2:14 pm

Good day tuners, looking for black coated chain link fence, where locally is it available?

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » February 24th, 2021, 2:32 pm

Hello Tuners. Can I get some feedback here.

I currently have my 3/4 hp, Goulds water pump plugged into a 110VAC outlet. I also have a tanked water heater plugged into a separate 220VAC outlet. Both of these outlets are operated via its dedicated indoor switch. So every night, I would take off the pump for the switch and the water heater before going to bed. In the morning, the switch would then be turned on to throw on the pump and heater.

However, I would like to install a dedicated plugged 110VAC timer for the pump and a dedicated plugged 220VAC timer for the water heater and to programme the same to cut on and cut off at specific times. Any recommendations for these? I am seeing quite a bit online, but would like to get some recommendations based on personal experiences or based on specific knowledge.

Thanks.

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » February 24th, 2021, 6:43 pm

carluva wrote:Hello Tuners. Can I get some feedback here.

I currently have my 3/4 hp, Goulds water pump plugged into a 110VAC outlet. I also have a tanked water heater plugged into a separate 220VAC outlet. Both of these outlets are operated via its dedicated indoor switch. So every night, I would take off the pump for the switch and the water heater before going to bed. In the morning, the switch would then be turned on to throw on the pump and heater.

However, I would like to install a dedicated plugged 110VAC timer for the pump and a dedicated plugged 220VAC timer for the water heater and to programme the same to cut on and cut off at specific times. Any recommendations for these? I am seeing quite a bit online, but would like to get some recommendations based on personal experiences or based on specific knowledge.

Thanks.
Over the years, I have used both Intermatics and GE timers for my swimming pool heaters, pool pumps and lawn sprinkler pump. The wiring is similar to what is required of a water pump pressure switch so you interrupt L/N on 115V and L1/L2 on 230V.

The cycle is set on a mechanical clock wheel. They are available at 40+ amps but you may need 25 or 30 for the water heater and 10 amps for the pump. I would buy the same for both just to keep things simple. They are also available in a weatherproof housing.

Good luck.

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » February 24th, 2021, 6:49 pm

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WSVDPQK/?c ... _lig_dp_it

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TVKSDD4/?c ... _lig_dp_it

Those are the two I have identified. Can work on 120/240, single phase and rated at 40A. The GE is a digital timer with battery backup. Question - do the mechanical timers go out of schedule with a power loss?

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » February 24th, 2021, 7:00 pm

Battery backup keeps it going after a power outage... the clock will need to be set if it's purely mechanical.

eitech
punchin NOS

Postby eitech » February 24th, 2021, 7:40 pm

adnj wrote:
carluva wrote:Hello Tuners. Can I get some feedback here.

Thanks.
Over the years, I have used both Intermatics and GE timers for my swimming pool heaters, pool pumps and lawn sprinkler pump. The wiring is similar to what is required of a water pump pressure switch so you interrupt L/N on 115V and L1/L2 on 230V.

The cycle is set on a mechanical clock wheel. They are available at 40+ amps but you may need 25 or 30 for the water heater and 10 amps for the pump. I would buy the same for both just to keep things simple. They are also available in a weatherproof housing.

Good luck.

Smart plugs wired with a contactors. Very versatile

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » February 24th, 2021, 9:34 pm

Post a link for me to see what you're referring to eitech

marcop2487
Street 2NR

Postby marcop2487 » February 26th, 2021, 10:47 am

Good morning everyone,

Does anyone have a used temporary connection electricity pole and box for sale.

I wouldn’t mind if the electricity pole is around 9 feet since the area I’m building in has underground infrastructure and it doesn’t require a full length.

daring dragoon
18 pounds of Boost

Postby daring dragoon » March 6th, 2021, 5:26 pm

it have a mango tree in my yard that other people who living in the yard dont want me to cut down. is it practical to do a foundation about 1 foot away from the mango tree for an extension to mu upstairs and cut the tree down after all the older head pass on or is that a bad idea to build so close to the mango tree? current house is about 12 feet from the mango tree and i want to go 10 feet towards the mango tree. mango tree is about 25 years old. type of foundation i looking to put down is to use steel colums and beams.

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » March 6th, 2021, 9:26 pm

daring dragoon wrote:it have a mango tree in my yard that other people who living in the yard dont want me to cut down. is it practical to do a foundation about 1 foot away from the mango tree for an extension to mu upstairs and cut the tree down after all the older head pass on or is that a bad idea to build so close to the mango tree? current house is about 12 feet from the mango tree and i want to go 10 feet towards the mango tree. mango tree is about 25 years old. type of foundation i looking to put down is to use steel colums and beams.

Let me preface this response by giving you some background. Typically and good rule of thumb is that the root structure and root network of a tree extends at least as far as the upper canopy is wide. So if your tree canopy has a rough radius of 25 feet from the main trunk, then assume that the roots also extend as far.

Roots of many trees, especially mango trees also do not go very deep, contrary to popular belief. Typically, you will find that roots are more or less on the surface of the ground or a several inches deep.

Finally, roots would tend to grow as big as the plant needs it to be. So a small mango tree in a 24" pot will only get as big as the roots will allow. A 25 year old tree will have some big roots to support (both physically, and this is important later on in my explanation, and nutritionally) the upper part. Its also safe to assume that the tree is fairly big, so you will have some strong roots for that tree.

Even though you are using steel columns, a ground beam and foundation will be needed to tie together the pedestals which will support the steel columns. If you do standalone pedestals, with no foundation and ground beam, the foundation will not be to our building code standard, which for some may not be a big deal because no-one really enforces that code. More importantly your building will be very susceptible to cracks and movement due to to natural settling and of course any type of seismic activity.

So, seeing that a foundation is no doubt needed, if you choose to build 1 foot away from the tree, you will no doubt encounter roots and not just any roots, stout and well established roots. You will have to cut those roots away for foundation. Once you cut those roots, the tree will immediately suffer. It won't die but a few days after you will see that the tree will shed a heap of leaves. A part of the tree may die and rot, but the tree will mostly survive, recover and then adapt to the new root network. Depending on how much of the roots are removed, and after the top part has suffered, a few week later you can prune the tree to suit and remove all the dead or dying section of the canopy.

However, if you choose to keep that tree, you will need to prune it regularly to keep it's size under control, thereby indirectly controlling root growth. However, you cannot control where the roots will grow and those roots will more than likely grow back from where they were cut and then begin to exert pressure on your foundation which, over time (and not time we can predict) will crack foundation and from there, there is no telling what type and to what extent the foundation will be damaged.

Remember I mentioned earlier that the roots also support the tree physically??? Well when you stand one leg, say your right leg, what happens after a while? You'll lose your balance and tip in the direction of your leg. The tree is the same thing... if you carved out many of the roots, especially those great big fat roots, the tree will now be imbalanced. This is of concern because, with strong enough winds (notice how the winds are these days?) or hurricane (notice T&T has been impacted by storms as of recently so its only a matter of time before a hurricane comes our way and also notice how hurricanes and storms can uproot large established trees) that imbalanced mango tree whose feet you removed will tip right into your house.

So the moral of my story is do not build close to the tree without chopping it down and excavating the roots. And if you are actually building an extension that may benefit those who are complaining about not chopping down the tree, tell those same people to go live in the tree so you won't have to burden yourself financially with a new structure...

... joke and fun aside. Don't build close to that tree and if you must build there, remove the tree. And before you do, plant back two mango tree to appease the folks. It'll be good for them and good for the environment.

tizik 2nr
3NE 2NR for life

Postby tizik 2nr » March 8th, 2021, 5:41 am

Hi, recently some friends asked me to put the list below together, as they are starting the building/mortgage process.

I went through the process three years ago. I wrote this up from memory, so I'm sure some points might be missing or may have changed, but I think the gist is here.

Pre-requisites for building / obtaining a mortgage in Trinidad & Tobago

WASA
- Bank will require WASA clearance for mortgage
o You can visit any WASA office for a clearance letter. You need to walk with:
 National ID
 Deed for property in your name
 A previous bill (if you already have a connection)

- Building tap connection
o You need to apply for a building connection at WASA office. You need to walk with
 National ID
 Detailed directions including sketch of property and access
 Proof of billing address

o Before WASA comes to connect, you need to install a building tap on your property
 Discuss with builder the best spot for it
 Must be 40 schedule PVC pipe with garden tap and PEG valve already attached.

- Once your plumbing is complete and the main has been connected to the building
o Go into the WASA office and inform them of the connection. You need to walk with
 National ID

o They will begin billing you at the residential rate.

TTEC

- Electrical Pole:

o Apply to TTEC for an electrical pole assessment. You need to walk with:
 National ID

o TTEC will visit the site and determine if / where your pole needs to be installed
 Once you receive the results of the assessment you need to:
• Purchase the pole from a source approved by TTEC
• Install the pole as per TTEC guidelines
• Schedule another assessment for TTEC to review and approve the pole

- Building connection:

o Once your electrical pole is installed and approved
 Apply to TTEC for a building connection. You need to walk with:
• National ID
• Deed for property in your name
• Proof of billing address

- Once the electrical is installed in your building

o Apply to Ministry of Public Utilities for certificate of Electrical Completion
 Inspector will visit and inspect all electrical, this is usually handled by your builder / electrician

o Once certificate is received, apply to TTEC for residential connection. You need to walk with
 National ID

House Plans
- Three sets of drawings need to be submitted to the Town & Country office in your area, who will forward one set on to your regional corporation for further approval.

- Also required for T&C:

o Deed in your name
o Two forms of ID
o Completed forms for T&C and RC (available at T&C office)

- Once your plans are approved by T&C and RC, you need to pay for your stamped copy at Republic Bank and collect your plans.

- Once you receive your plan, you need to inform the regional corporation in writing that you intend to proceed to develop your property as per the plan, quoting the plan number on the letter.

- Regional corporation inspectors may visit the site at any time during or after this process, without informing you.

Mortgage / Bridging Finance

- Documents required:

o Deed for land in your name.
o Two forms of national ID
o Job letter (must show at least one year of employment)
o Last three pay statements
o Proof of current address
o Approved house plans

o Detailed quote from builder which must contain:
 Detailed list of all materials with costs
 Detailed list of all labour with costs
 Phased construction plan

o Quantity surveyor’s report, in order to get this you need to submit the following to a quantity surveyor that is registered with your bank:
 Deed for land in your name
 Two forms of national ID
 Detailed quote from builder as above

o Certified evaluation of property

 This must be of the future value of the property, in order to get this you need to submit the following to an evaluation company that is registered with your bank:
• Deed for land in your name
• Two forms of national ID
• Detailed quote from builder as above
• Quantity surveyor’s report as above

Quantity Surveyor
- The bank will not disperse all your funds at once
o They will disperse funds on a phased basis, based on the phases specified in the QS report
o The QS will have to make visits at the close of each phase and verify that the required work is done. He will then inform the bank to release the next phase of funds

Completion Report
- Once your house is complete
o You have to contact the regional corporation and request an inspector to visit the site and check that it has been built according to plan
o Once satisfied, they will issue a completion certificate.

Closing off your bridging finance and conversion to mortgage
- In order to pass this stage, the bank will ask for:
o Completion certificate
o Final QS report
o Final evaluation on built property
o Updated versions of all documents as at the start of the process

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby timelapse » March 8th, 2021, 7:02 am

Paraquat aint for drinking alone there homie....
daring dragoon wrote:it have a mango tree in my yard that other people who living in the yard dont want me to cut down. is it practical to do a foundation about 1 foot away from the mango tree for an extension to mu upstairs and cut the tree down after all the older head pass on or is that a bad idea to build so close to the mango tree? current house is about 12 feet from the mango tree and i want to go 10 feet towards the mango tree. mango tree is about 25 years old. type of foundation i looking to put down is to use steel colums and beams.

Wolfgang123
Street 2NR

Postby Wolfgang123 » March 9th, 2021, 10:31 am

Good day tuners, looking for a company which sells residential security fences black preferably.

*KRONIK*
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *KRONIK* » March 9th, 2021, 10:38 am

If its the black pre-fab fence you referring to
Radius one marketing

https://www.facebook.com/105028484173782/posts/432301918113102/

Wolfgang123 wrote:Good day tuners, looking for a company which sells residential security fences black preferably.

Wolfgang123
Street 2NR

Postby Wolfgang123 » March 9th, 2021, 11:32 am

That's it self, thanks brother!!!

daring dragoon
18 pounds of Boost

Postby daring dragoon » March 22nd, 2021, 4:27 am

who is the most recommended company for solar lights in TT?

h1tach1
Street 2NR

Postby h1tach1 » March 24th, 2021, 3:10 pm

Is there a book or manual that describes the electrical codes for residential wiring in T&T?

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”