Forums

Building a house in Trinidad

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

The Raven
3NE 2NR for life

Re: Building a house in Trinidad

Postby The Raven » July 3rd, 2015, 8:58 pm

Yep, from what I gather its a normal thing some builders do. They tell people it's to spread the concrete easier.
Thanks for your continued replys MD.

Sorry I did not meet you before. Looks like you know your stuff.

boxy
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby boxy » July 14th, 2015, 5:45 pm

Anybody knows what price quantity surveyors usually charge?

MD Marketers
Chronic TriniTuner
Location: 391-4558 tntresearchers@hotmail.com www.trinidadforsale.com

Postby MD Marketers » July 14th, 2015, 5:47 pm

boxy wrote:Anybody knows what price quantity surveyors usually charge?

Around $3000 for a normal lot

konartis
Shifting into 6th

Postby konartis » July 18th, 2015, 10:33 am

MD Marketers wrote:

What about a valuation?

francis1979
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby francis1979 » July 18th, 2015, 10:50 am

konartis wrote:
MD Marketers wrote:

What about a valuation?

http://gafarrell.com/our-services/frequ ... questions/

Morpheus
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Morpheus » July 18th, 2015, 11:41 am

Nice thread.

SimSimmer69
3NE 2NR for life

Postby SimSimmer69 » July 18th, 2015, 4:11 pm

After just finished building my house I'll can safely say that I'd prefer to hire a professional and pay an extra $100k just to NOT have any of those unprofessional idiots in my house anymore. Very few of these guys actually care about the quality of their work...all they care about is the money they make after they've completed the shitty work on your house. My advice to anyone building would be to hire a pro, get many references and don't be cheap on where it matters most.

MD Marketers
Chronic TriniTuner
Location: 391-4558 tntresearchers@hotmail.com www.trinidadforsale.com

Postby MD Marketers » July 21st, 2015, 9:38 am

SimSimmer69 wrote:After just finished building my house I'll can safely say that I'd prefer to hire a professional and pay an extra $100k just to NOT have any of those unprofessional idiots in my house anymore. Very few of these guys actually care about the quality of their work...all they care about is the money they make after they've completed the shitty work on your house. My advice to anyone building would be to hire a pro, get many references and don't be cheap on where it matters most.

$100,000 more?
You serious?
Why not just pay a professional to interview/ supervise these "unprofessional idiots" & give you hourly updates with pictures and material shortages. Possibly even work out the material lists for you.
1. How would you know that $100,000 guy isn't going to be an "unprofessional idiot" also?
2. Do you think if the project took 3 months to complete it would cost you $100,000 in professional supervision? It won't cross $10,000 monthly average.
3. There are some "professional supervisors" that get paid on commission based on how many men they have to supervise. They do the recruiting, the budgeting, costing, material lists

York
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby York » July 21st, 2015, 10:20 am

SMc wrote:anyone have an idea what would be the average cost to supply and fit a 750 Gallon Septic tank and soak away pit?

those plastic tanks like "Fat-Boy" not approved by relevant authorities. (T&C / Reg Corp)

York
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby York » July 21st, 2015, 10:25 am

The Raven wrote:Guys, need some advise here. I asked the builder not to drive any backhoe or bob cat on top of the foundation. The foundation brick height is 6. He still went ahead and drove a bob cat on top of the foundation flooring to spread backfill sand. Could this cause any damage to the foundation it self?
Thanks.

it depends on how long after the concrete was poured in the blocks...but it should be ok if he filled on both sides, then drove over it. bobcat is very light, should be fine.

Rahtid
Shifting into 6th

Postby Rahtid » July 22nd, 2015, 2:50 pm

Y'all have to take into consideration,,,proper compaction for concrete,,,rent a portable vibrator, and use it good, cuz in your mix, there are different sizes of aggregates when dropped into your formwork, will not completely encase the steel rods, therefore creating honeycombs. The cracks are apparent cuz of a few reasons, but a crack will allow moisture to seep in and affect your steel, causing it to deteriorate.

rere31
3NE 2NR for life

Postby rere31 » July 22nd, 2015, 6:05 pm

When readymix concrete arrives at your location, best bet is to perform a concrete slump test (Google it) to test the workability of the concrete. A slump in the vicinity of 2" to 5" would be best for the decking. In the event that you receive a slump less than 2", add concrete plastisizer in proportion to the amount of concrete m^3 in the truck and give the drum a good spin. Also for your safeguard, buy a couple of the plastic cylindrical mouldings to cast for testing. The concrete is poured in thirds into the mould, after each third you have to evenly poker the concrete in the mould 25 times and tap around the mould at 4 strategic locations. When completed, trowel the top for a smooth even finish. When cured (day after) label them (with the date) and submerge completely into a tub of water. You can carry these mouldings to get tested at a 7 day and 28 day interval. What the do is that they add force to the mould and the PSI to which the concrete breaks apart to is recorded. To prevent cracking, one measure that I know of is evenly spraying concrete cure (concure) onto the slab when the drawing process starts to take place.

York
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby York » July 30th, 2015, 9:07 am

I know someone who is going to build a 3 bedroom flat with 2 car carport, porch, indoor laundry, walk-in closet with master bath on 7000 sq ft of T&C approved land 2 mins from St Mary's junction, Freeport. Going to sell for $1.45M. You can secure by paying a deposit and signing a Sales Agreement with the seller's attorney. Site is on government-maintained road access serviced by mail delivery, garbage collection, CEPEP, etc.

Interested persons simply pm your contact information (Name and Phone Number) and you will be contacted to discuss further.

konartis
Shifting into 6th

Postby konartis » July 31st, 2015, 10:28 pm

A sales agreement by an attorney preventing the person to make off with ur money?

York
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby York » August 1st, 2015, 6:45 am

konartis wrote:A sales agreement by an attorney preventing the person to make off with ur money?

It's how proper business is conducted in society. It gives the buyer right to action (to sue seller) for breach of contract. Otherwise, apply for HDC house and wait 30 years or buy cash.

triniwildmeat
Riding on 13's

Postby triniwildmeat » August 3rd, 2015, 12:46 pm

Anyone know the avg cost to build a basic concrete wall around one lot of land?

smokeyjoe
Ricer

Postby smokeyjoe » August 3rd, 2015, 1:57 pm

call JBAN Construction Solutions and he can give you a quotation and also build it for you.
Jerome 3955310

vidane
Riding on 13's

Postby vidane » August 3rd, 2015, 8:11 pm

Great information guys. In the initial stages of building my own home definitely going to apply this new knowledge .

worksux101
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby worksux101 » August 4th, 2015, 5:48 pm

quietdevil wrote:People really need to embrace new construction practices...well old in global terms and existing a long time in Trinidad but never used. William H Scott is using premade concrete board to build beautiful houses in Welcome Road. Therml Impac has been using a foam wall system. I used concrete board with aluminium framing for my internal walls..smoother walls and easy to modify. All of these things can not only bring the overall construction cost down but break the monopoly block, aggregate and cement manufacturers enjoy in Trinidad

nice info thanks...where can i get more details?

York
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby York » August 4th, 2015, 8:12 pm

Anything with aluminum framework tends to be expensive from contractors but if you can DIY it may be economical. However if you want to tie the top of the internal walls with ring beams, then old style may be stronger especially for land with the tendency to slip. The piles and ground beams supposed to take care of that concern but when land drops it's the whole weight of the house pulling down to bend the ground beam. So more strength is always better. Some people run a beam with the lintels (over the windows and doors) right around the house in addition to the top ring beam on which the roof rests.

Ramirez
Street 2NR

Postby Ramirez » August 5th, 2015, 3:08 am

Does anyone know where I can get the metal trim for around decking pan ? Much thanks

aidan
30 pounds of Boost

Postby aidan » August 6th, 2015, 11:35 am

*subscribed*

York
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby York » August 6th, 2015, 11:39 pm

quietdevil wrote:I used concrete board with aluminium framing for my internal walls..

In what size do these boards come? if 4ft x 8ft, you would have to join at the top otherwise the ceiling height would be exactly 8ft which is a bit low...unless the top/bottom framing material would add about 6-8 inches total.

York
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby York » August 6th, 2015, 11:53 pm

triniwildmeat wrote:Anyone know the avg cost to build a basic concrete wall around one lot of land?

labour should be about $50-$60k. material maybe $25k. did you get a quote?

York
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby York » August 7th, 2015, 1:53 pm

I don't play with Lego but if you do, it's not helping your comprehension skills. A simple question was asked.

You said you used it so just wanted a little more details as to the framing material and economical use of the board. Does the framing material have to be used in the top and everywhere the board is joined?

The Raven
3NE 2NR for life

Postby The Raven » August 8th, 2015, 2:16 pm

Can someone give a rough estimate pls. I need to know the labour cost for blocking around a 50x60 upstairs home. Also casting the ring beam around and window beams. The walls inside would be basic block up for three bed rooms and kitchen. I just need an idea of the labour any ball park figure, just want to know what i need.
Thanks.

Ted_v2
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Ted_v2 » August 8th, 2015, 3:44 pm

20k labour

The Raven
3NE 2NR for life

Postby The Raven » August 8th, 2015, 5:29 pm

Ok, Thanks Ted. One guy told me 40k and the job would take 2 weeks.
Which i found too expensive.

York
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby York » August 8th, 2015, 7:45 pm

$40k is a good price pal. 50x60 is like 2 houses in one. you should consider from those masons or contractors the price to plaster and install the door frames and windows (steel) / plaster window pockets for sliding type. the cost for plastering should be same as that to block up.

so for that size $80k is a good price.

tntgolf
Riding on 13's

Postby tntgolf » August 8th, 2015, 10:25 pm

HELLO TUNERS
GREAT INFO! APPRECIATE VERY MUCH.
WOULD LIKE TO BUILD IN SOUTH. PLEASE PROVIDE RECOMMENDATION ON GOOD BUILDERS/ARCHITECT/CONTRACT DRAFTS.
Been advised by well-wishers to draw up contracts and monitor progress for every stage of the process.

Thanks in advance.

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”